CatLady

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

1 hour ago, sweetautumn said:

Brandon Barash's awesome today! He really has that mobster mannerism. Dark, menacing, ruthless and means business... This is not someone who you wanna play pillow fight or mess around with. He's an worthy adversary not a child stuck in an adult's body

You hit the nail on the head describing why I really like BB. I'm anxious to see him interacting with more of the cast.

• Like 4

Brandon was great as Stefan. He should have been Stefan from the start, he was just electrifying.  Tyler was really sleepwalking through this role. I wish him all the best, addiction is no joke.  

• Like 10

Brandon Barash felt a little awkward brooding over the chess board but he owned the role by the end of his fight with Gabi.  And I say that as someone who enjoyed Tyler Christopher more and more over the past few months.    

At least they let Claire and Tripp have a relatively realistic argument over how stupid it is for him to marry Haley.  

Is it possible that we might be rid of that Dreadful Diana in the near future, or will she find a way to slither out of this?  Wasn't she wearing gloves when she handled the IV bag? 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bobcat1946 said:

AFter so much time I want to see JJ and Gabi together again, but I know it is not possible now because he is forgiving Gabi for what she did to poor Abigail but maybe some day.  Maybe if JJ ever forgives Jack he will find it in his heart to forgive Gabi.

Tripp is the only guy in Salem who is not related to her so that might have something to do with it.

I think he can forgive her but they will never get back together. The show has no interest in them and act like they don't know each other. Which I'm ok with but why can't I get that with JJ/Lani I mean those two have zero reason to interact anymore. At least Ari is JJ's cousin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobcat1946 said:

I can not see this Stefan being in love with a wig.

Oddly enough his GH character was in love with an altar and thus ruined for me afterwards.

So yeah I think that's what they had in mind when they chose him to replace Tyler. I don't doubt BB is a better Stefan but the character is still a dumpster fire just more watchable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

BB was fine. In general, I like him more than TC and find him much more attractive, but tbh I was growing kinda fond of TC in the role. He and CB were really sparking for me. I hope BB and CB can get there quick. I am tentatively feeling Brady/Gabi as well though, so we'll see.

3 hours ago, sweetautumn said:

Brandon Barash's awesome today! He really has that mobster mannerism. Dark, menacing, ruthless and means business... This is not someone who you wanna play pillow fight or mess around with. He's an worthy adversary not a child stuck in an adult's body.

Overall, I like BB more than TC but TC really was nailing Stefan's growing attraction to Gabi.  He did small things like look her up and down and was antagonistic in a way that showed him getting off on how much he could get under her skin.  I was starting to feel that.

Brandon's performance today brought terror and menace to his scenes. It was well done but it was a jarring change from the way Tyler was playing him. I no longer get the "these two are about to have hate sex" vibe.  I hope they reestablish it before they actually go there. 

I liked JJ's scenes with Lani today.  Claire was very reasonable in her argument with Tripp today.  It's such a stupid idea.  Of course, any reasonable ground she has she loses since she put this all in motion.

• Like 8

I thought Gabi and Brandon Barash Stefan O. passed the chemistry test with flying colors today.  I just love that Gabi doesn't flinch or give an inch with Stefan, I'll be sad when that part of the story is over.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Like 6

Since Stefan despises Gabi so much he should have just handed her company like Chad was going to do and he would have gotten her out of his hair.

Instead I have to watch that evil man destroy Gabi again.,

• Like 1

The only thing that annoyed me about BB first day was his suit jacket. It looked like it was 2 sizes too small. Apparently, he was called the day before taping so I guess he didn’t get a chance to have a proper wardrobe fitting. I’ll give him a pass for that LOL!!!

The funny thing about TC and chemistry is that he was firing all cylinders in the sexual tension department with Maura West (just like with CB) and, it ended the same way. He left the role before it could be explored to join Days. Now, he gets fired from Days when it was just heating up with CB. That was a quick firing. I thought I heard there would be a week in between TC & BB but it was literally the next day. TC must have been such a mess for TPTB to can him right then and there and replace him with BB. I’m looking forward to see what BB does with the role and how long. 

• Like 4

I don’t find BB as intimidating or dark as TC because he’s slighter in stature and his facial features less brooding. Like TC looks like a rich guy with patrician features, who’s morose and been fucked over a few x.  BB has a more thuggish but also impish and mirthful look. 

Poor John, all he wants is to enjoy retirement with the love of his life dining at restaurants 5x a day and exchanging corny compliments. Instead he’s dealing with near death experiences and stalkers on a seasonal basis. Not to mention the new found adult children and fixing Will’s problems habitually. 

Tripp was kinda being an asshole today. Claire can’t tell anyone who her bf is now and has to have a secret behind closed doors relationship plus him marrying Haley for GC purposes means he can’t/won’t get married to HER for at least a few years. That is nothing to poo poo. I worked with a couple who had a green card marriage years ago. They lived together, vacationed together, worked at it, and had home visits and stuff. It’s not a light commitment or whimsical risk.  Claire is really the best part of this story. I was pissed off they’d do this to Shelle’s child since I was an OG Stan, because let’s be honest Belle and Shawn are pretty straight arrow and bland now and she’s Marlena’s grand child and she’s a moral rock of Salem. But Claire is the only wild card and intriguing part in this story. When she screamed in the pillow, then smiled, hugged Tripp and was instantly charming to him I knew she made up her mind to eliminate her. Which was reinforced with the “hello bride to beeeee!” And beaming smile with glittery eyes. It is really interesting to watch her. I hope they don’t turn her into a new Jan or Kristen but someone more like Kate or from shows like Cersei Lannister or Julie Cooper. 

I think Brady was wearing his tank top cuz he was working out in the mansion. He was also wearing those flimsy men’s version of a yoga pants/sweats hybrid I see dudes wear at the gym. This doesn’t excuse the entire winter in Salem, a suburb of Chicago, having women in bare legs or short sleeves in Horton Square and men in thin shirts without overcoats or parkas. That was absolutely insane during the polar vortex. Chicago area is cold AF from January to March, I know they tape sup in advance but it’s simple arithmetic. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I don’t find BB as intimidating or dark as TC because he’s slighter in stature and his facial features less brooding. Like TC looks like a rich guy with patrician features, who’s morose and been fucked over a few x.  BB has a more thuggish but also impish and mirthful look. 

Poor John, all he wants is to enjoy retirement with the love of his life dining at restaurants 5x a day and exchanging corny compliments. Instead he’s dealing with near death experiences and stalkers on a seasonal basis. Not to mention the new found adult children and fixing Will’s problems habitually. 

Tripp was kinda being an asshole today. Claire can’t tell anyone who her bf is now and has to have a secret behind closed doors relationship plus him marrying Haley for GC purposes means he can’t/won’t get married to HER for at least a few years. That is nothing to poo poo. I worked with a couple who had a green card marriage years ago. They lived together, vacationed together, worked at it, and had home visits and stuff. It’s not a light commitment or whimsical risk.  Claire is really the best part of this story. I was pissed off they’d do this to Shelle’s child since I was an OG Stan, because let’s be honest Belle and Shawn are pretty straight arrow and bland now and she’s Marlena’s grand child and she’s a moral rock of Salem. But Claire is the only wild card and intriguing part in this story. When she screamed in the pillow, then smiled, hugged Tripp and was instantly charming to him I knew she made up her mind to eliminate her. Which was reinforced with the “hello bride to beeeee!” And beaming smile with glittery eyes. It is really interesting to watch her. I hope they don’t turn her into a new Jan or Kristen but someone more like Kate or from shows like Cersei Lannister or Julie Cooper. 

I think Brady was wearing his tank top cuz he was working out in the mansion. He was also wearing those flimsy men’s version of a yoga pants/sweats hybrid I see dudes wear at the gym. This doesn’t excuse the entire winter in Salem, a suburb of Chicago, having women in bare legs or short sleeves in Horton Square and men in thin shirts without overcoats or parkas. That was absolutely insane during the polar vortex. Chicago area is cold AF from January to March, I know they tape sup in advance but it’s simple arithmetic. 

Ken Corday can’t afford coats, hats & gloves anymore. It’s not in the budget. That’s why he’s suing Sony. LOL!!!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

30 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That was a quick firing. I thought I heard there would be a week in between TC & BB but it was literally the next day. TC must have been such a mess for TPTB to can him right then and there and replace him with BB. 

IIRC, Brandon Barash was initially cast only to replace Tyler Christopher while TC took a leave of absence for personal reasons.  It wasn't until about month after TC took leave that it was announced he wouldn't be returning to the show.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My area of western Canada was bitterly cold for most of February - seemed to be around -25-30C every day. Seeing Salem folks dressed for warmer climes is a bit jarring. Granted, I do understand going to a mall and just wearing a light jacket and a mad dash from the car or bus to the mall doors. Malls can be very warm and you can easily pass out or get sick wearing a huge parka. Some of Gabi's outfits seemed unusual for February - Chicago is a 3 hour flight from me but with the lake effect wind and humidity, brrrrrr.

I did like Claire excusing herself to scream in to her cushion. After hearing about Tripp's stupid idea, I would too. She still has hundreds of thousands of followers for her singing career or whatever? Seriously? She does like the whole boyfriend part, but she needs to be okay on her own - it's not love for her, just need. Haley is toast. And the hug of death seals the deal.

I felt a bit squicky when JJ started kissing Haley. She isn't exactly your girlfriend. You saved her life from a suicide attempt and maybe it's just her way of thanking you. He is not ready for marriage, either. Given his sister and her exploits, stay away! Marrying a girl you barely know will not work either.

Good for John and Marlena to be suspicious of Dirty Diana.

Did like Leo's visit with the new Stefan. A bit softer than the old one, but this one is very unlikely to fall for the alt-Gabby. Nice chemistry he does have with Gabi and good for her for slapping him and standing up for herself.

• Like 4

Everyone’s losing their minds over the recast Stefan and I’m just like, ugh. It’s still a dumb story with a dumb character and an actor I’ve never been thrilled with and I just don’t care.

This was an awful week of the show for me because I just don’t care about any of the stories going on.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was growing kinda fond of TC in the role. He and CB were really sparking for me.

I admit I didn't care for him in the beginning but I was eventually drawn to him for several reasons.  I felt for him in his quest to have/make a family.  His scenes with Charlotte were so sweet.  I also liked his support of Ben.  I even enjoyed his growing interest in Chole.  His last scene holding Chole really moved me.  I hate to see him go.  

And I guess they no longer air "The role of _______________  is now being played by ______________.   I had no idea that that was Tyler's last scene.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That's a common trick. A lot of men can dress slimmer (e.g. slim fit suit like BB wore today) but that doesn't make them really slighter in stature. A case in point, Obama appeared to be thin in public but you can see his physical fit body with strong muscles from his pics on the beach. Brandon is like that as well.  

P.S. One doesn't have to look like Schwarzenegger in order to be intimidating.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sweetautumn said:

That's a common trick. A lot of men can dress slimmer (e.g. slim fit suit like BB wore today) but that doesn't make them really slighter in stature. A case in point, Obama appeared to be thin in public but you can see his physical fit body with strong muscles from his pics on the beach. Brandon is like that as well.  

P.S. One doesn't have to look like Schwarzenegger in order to be intimidating.   

I meant he was shorter and has smaller muscles. For instance he was roughing up GR/Leo and that’s a small man in RL. Also he’s less lass classically handsome, he has more bulbous nose and more impish facial features. Anyhow that’s just my opinion which I’m entitled to share.  

• Like 3

I think they are pretty different looks/style-wise, but it's their energy being different that is messing with me right now. TC was playing the scenes with CB/Gabi much differently than BB played those scenes yesterday. But TC and CB had awhile to build to that so it does make sense. I just hope BB and CB can build up quickly because I'm still down for Stefan/Gabi.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Like 3

This show doesn't write individual characters well let alone love stories involving them. Everyone is so generic and interchangeable and that wasn't the case in Days' heyday. Bo/Hope would never be interchangeable to Jack/Jennifer etc. Plus when they get a couple the audience likes they make them the focal point of the show and write them to the ground until there's nothing left.

That being said I see Gabi as an interloper/vixen rather than a romantic lead and that works because she won't be stuck in a pairing but seen as a solo character and when one leaves the other ends up getting written out because the audience can't accept them apart. 

Surprisingly Hope and Kayla haven't been written out of this show but others have because of it. I find that very short sighted.

• Like 7