heyliz113

Will This Be the Last Season of Greys Anatomy? (Yes, This Topic Is Several Years Old...)

With this being the 11th season and Meredith having another half sister she did not know about do people think this will be the last? I have been a loyal fan since season two and can't imagine my TV line up without Greys. But it may be time to throw in the towel. Every couple we've loved are now together and happy ( my favorite will always be Meredith and Derek), I think this would be a prime season to end it but am not sure if ABC is ready to let go. Either way I will watch until the final season I just hope they step up the writing a little bit, and please no more unknown relatives! 

Edited by heyliz113

Lord, why won't they kill this thing already?

Damn.  We all know why not.  People still watch.  For some reason. (I gave up several years ago)

• Like 1

I'm sure they'll renew for S12, but I'll be very surprised if it goes longer. And it won't matter to me, because Shonda just killed the last of my interest in this show.

• Like 2

I'm sure they'll renew for S12, but I'll be very surprised if it goes longer. And it won't matter to me, because Shonda just killed the last of my interest in this show.

That is my thought also.  And the thought of some "less involved" (meaning don't read spoilers, post online about it, etc.) people whom I've talked to.

• Like 2

No, it won't be the last season but I'm not sure it can sustain past S12. Even though I had the same doubts with ER, they proved me wrong but the show did lack quality. 

I'm weary of S13 but surely, this season isn't the last. 

• Like 1

I'd like this to be the last season, but would be satisfied with a 13 ep season 12, a la Private Practice

• Like 1

I'm torn. I definilety want a full 12th season and I would be ok with the series ending there because it is very much time.

Selfishly, however, I would love it if JC didn't sign on for a 13th, but it went on because I just feel like if anyone else leaves when he does, Alex will completely get overshadowed and be an afterthought. Of course, I guess that would be fitting too.

But most likely, he, EP and some of the the others will probably not -resign. I just hope that whatever happens, we know about it in advance. Clearly, the Sandra Oh example is the way to do it on this show.

Since it is impossible for this show to go out with any grace -

(IMO that avenue closed after George was thrown under the bus)

My only hope is that someone will put this lame horse down.

• Like 2

I see the show lasting at least 3 more seasons. However I think the show should end after S13. Its been a fun ride but it's time to get off.

I think Meredith should blow up SGWhatever because she's "confused" but still walking around like a functional surgeon (yet is NOT one, except in her own ilttle world).

Either that, or Shonda keeps ripping off Lost and ends the series at S11: there's a time jump like you wouldn't believe, and everyone meets up in a sideways world, then go to the afterlife. With PD, they may have already shot the Merder meetup in the sky, and those two can walk into the light together, The End.

(Isn't the finale called "You're My Home"?)

It would be NICE if they could pull off the others (George/hot chic, Izzie/Denny, Richard/Adele, oh absolutely Mark/Lexie, and whoever else).

And put this dog down!

• Like 1

I think Meredith should blow up SGWhatever because she's "confused" but still walking around like a functional surgeon (yet is NOT one, except in her own ilttle world).

Either that, or Shonda keeps ripping off Lost and ends the series at S11: there's a time jump like you wouldn't believe, and everyone meets up in a sideways world, then go to the afterlife. With PD, they may have already shot the Merder meetup in the sky, and those two can walk into the light together, The End.

(Isn't the finale called "You're My Home"?)

It would be NICE if they could pull off the others (George/hot chic, Izzie/Denny, Richard/Adele, oh absolutely Mark/Lexie, and whoever else).

And put this dog down!

When they next make up corporate brochures for the hospital, they should have a tagline like "A fantastic place to work!  You should be dying to work here!"

• Like 8

I hope this is the last season, because Seattle Grace is cursed and so is Meredith Grey. 

This is still not caught up on all the trauma in her life. Yang left, and Derek is dead, leaving her alone and pregnant. 

How is she still functioning? 

Meredith Grey: Meredith’s mother, who was a chilly and neglectful parent, has Alzheimer’s. Meredith falls in love with a handsome surgeon, Derek, who breaks her heart when he reveals that he has a very beautiful wife, Addison, who is an even better surgeon. Meredith has an unsatisfying reunion with her father, Thatcher, who has a new and better family now. Meredith acts out by sleeping with her friend George, but cries during sex and breaks his heart. Meredith’s dog dies. Meredith falls briefly in love with a bomb technician, but he gets blown up. Meredith’s mother briefly regains lucidity, just in time to tell Meredith what a disappointment she is as a surgeon. Meredith falls off a pier and nearly dies. Meredith wakes up to discover that her mother is dead. Meredith and Derek get back together. Meredith and Derek break up. Meredith and Derek are supposed to get married, but postpone it because their friend has a terminal brain tumor. Meredith’s father’s new wife dies, he blames Meredith and becomes an alcoholic. Meredith gives him part of her liver. Meredith has a miscarriage. Meredith has a “hostile uterus.” Meredith is caught tampering with an Alzheimer’s trial. Meredith is fired. Meredith has her adopted baby briefly taken away. Meredith watches her sister, who she now loves, die in a gruesome plane crash and cannot save her.http://thehairpin.com/2012/12/horrible-things-that-have-happened-on-greys-anatomy/

It definitely won't end this year. I see Ellen signing for one or two more. It ended season 11 with higher ratings than it's lead-out Scandal, which was one of the most buzzed about shows on TV and was only in its 4th season. Castle is crashing and burning, Agents of Shield and Nashville have never gotten good numbers, OUAT is in the same boat, and aside from maybe Quantico and The Catch ABC has no promising new drama pilots on their lineup. Grey's has been a powerhouse, I can't see them cutting it any time soon. 

• Like 2

Especially with really pushing Ellen Pompeo to the front of the marketing campaign (along with Kerry Washington from Scandal and Viola Davis from HTGAWM). Those three women being the face of TGIT tells me that ABC is banking on them being a big thing for a while.

My money would be it lasting at least one season after Pompeo leaves, possibly longer as long as people are still watching and they are, the show has strongish ratings and they have proven that they can successfully replace major characters. Pompeo would be the hardest to replace but I think it could still stand without her.

I mean let's be honest, there is not artistic integrity in this show, no real consistency, the episodes are largely free standing and don't require a lot of investment in long term plots, there is no natural end-game to wrap things up with. I just don't see a situation where ABC decides not to renew it as long as people are tuning in, Rhimes would have to be making crazy demands and I think she is happy to just watch the money roll in.

• Like 1

I mean let's be honest, there is not artistic integrity in this show, no real consistency, the episodes are largely free standing and don't require a lot of investment in long term plots, there is no natural end-game to wrap things up with. I just don't see a situation where ABC decides not to renew it as long as people are tuning in, Rhimes would have to be making crazy demands and I think she is happy to just watch the money roll in.

Absolutely agree.

As much as I am part of the masses that complain every year about whatever it is to complain about with this series, I still find it comforting that I have know these people for 10+ years and I am invested in them.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I am invested in Meredith the most.

She came out of nowhere, and she has been a part of my life for the last however many years and I am part of the reason she keeps coming back.  I have gone through life changes in the past 10+ years just like her, and her life has been my escape to imagine that things could be worse.  ::giggle::

Will this be the year they end it?  i hope not.  I (like Meredith), still have some growing to do.  Even though this is fiction, it gives me something to think about that is outside of my world.  I am not always happy with the direction Shonda takes, but for an hour a week, for 22+ weeks a year, I get to escape the reality that is my life.

We talked about this in the spoilers and speculation thread, but I thought i'd continue this over here.  I just watched Shonda's interview with Oprah that aired last night (really great interview btw).  They talked a little bit about Derek's death and why, Shonda's answers were basically the same as she's said since last year, but she also said the choice was either to kill of Derek or end the show and "Ellen was not ready".  So, i think its safe to say Ellen will be signing on for more seasons. She also said his death was hard on her, Patrick and Ellen.  

• Like 2

I'll have to watch the interview; I didn't realize it was on. 

But on the issue of ending the show: I really think it's time after this season. They're running out of stories, adding way too many new characters at the expense of longtime favorites, and they're making some of my favorite characters a lot less likeable.

There could be additional storylines if they would show Meredith interacting with her invisible children -- explore the difficulties of maintaining a high-level, high-stress career while raising three kids as a single mom and trying to be an involved parent. The way it looks now, to me anyway, is that Meredith is heading toward Ellis territory. If we saw her doing something, anything!, with the kids, it would be helpful, But that's probably the only meaty storyline I could envision at this point; for Meredith anyway. 

• Like 2

but she also said the choice was either to kill of Derek or end the show and "Ellen was not ready".  So, i think its safe to say Ellen will be signing on for more seasons. She also said his death was hard on her, Patrick and Ellen.

This kind of statement/attitude never sits really well with me for some reason.  Even though I agree that the show doesn't have much life left in it, I don't like the attitude that the show ends or doesn't because of one or two people.  I know that Ellen is the lead and that she is the Grey in the title and all of that, but it just seems like the the livelihood of so many people shouldn't come down to an actor's whim.  The show employs many, many people and to think that it might end because one very rich actor decides that they have had enough, just never sits well with me.  Its one thing if the ratings are horrible or if the showrunners and writers decide that they just don't have anymore story in them or if it is like a cable show where they know going in they will only have a set number of seasons.  But if the ratings are there and the rest of the cast and crew are willing and eager to go on than it should.  If it is awful, then people will tune out and that will be that.  

The majority of actors on the show are millionaires many times over and will find other jobs, or not, but that is the nature of the job, so they will be fine, but they aren't the only ones who work on the show.  I know that people get laid off all of the time and that this is the way it works, but for some reason it just bugs me when people are so dismissive about it.  "Oh, such and such is gone the show needs to end!!!!" as if because their favorite is no longer on the show, everyone should just pack it up and get in the unemployment line.  

I don't know, I'm sure it is more complicated than Shonda made it sound in that interview, but it bugs me anyway.  I will also say that I think that Ellen seems aware of the fact that she bears a lot of responsibility for a lot of people and I think she handles it pretty well.

• Like 2

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but I guess it does fall under speculation... I'm wondering what people think of the prospect of Grey's Anatomy without the Grey. Considering the current ratings (they're phenomenal), what are the odds that if Ellen decided to leave this year, ABC would continue? I'd like to think they'd allow Shonda to end the show should EP choose to leave, but I know that they'd try damn hard to do anything they could to continue on. I just don't see how they could conceivably call the show Grey's Anatomy without a Grey. 

I have a feeling Ellen will re-up at the end of this season, BUT she has said several times that she's not overly enthused about a future career in acting. So, what would they do? Who would fill in the lead role? Who would narrate? Would you stick around to watch if Meredith was gone by Alex, Bailey, Richard, Callie, Arizona, etc. stuck around? 

I'd still watch, at least to see how it goes. I'm not a Meredith fan at all so it would be less of an issue for me than many others. Grey's has been "see how it goes at the start of the season" for me for a few years now and I think it will stay that way til the end. I've watched it for so long, if I'm half entertained I'll probably watch until the end. I watched ER all the way through but was way more attached to ER than I am to Grey's at this stage in the show.

I honestly don't think they'd continue if Ellen left. Just guessing but I think she's already agreed to multiple years when PD left, even if it was a verbal agreement for now.

I have a feeling too that when it came time to decide what to do with PD, Shonda likely asked Ellen about the possibility of her re-upping. I think if EP was unlikely to want to renew her contract, they would have kept PD around sporadically to end their story together this year. 

I'm not entirely sure that the show ends when Ellen leaves.

I'm also going to disagree with some of all of your thoughts about Ellen's status during the Dempsey mess.  I think Shonda wrote how she wrote Dempsey out without regard to whether Ellen planned to re-up her contract after this year.  Certainly they may have discussed it at the time everything was going down.  Even if Ellen was going to leave after this year, there was a treasure trove of stories to be told from Dempsey dying  that we are seeing that are much better than a holding pattern waiting for her to leave.

I do believe, however, that before this season, Shonda and Ellen have discussed whether Ellen intended this to be her last year such that Shonda could write to an end for Meredith if Ellen didn't plan to renew her contract, much like Shonda and Sandra Oh talked the season before she left so that Christine could be given a proper send off.

I probably should have brought some posts over originally to give more context...but the only reason why I mentioned the above was because there was some discussion of whether or not Shonda and co. had a conversation with Ellen during the whole Dempsey exit thing.  So based on this 5 second statement it does seem to me like they had some conversations about it.  

More to your point Deanie87, I, first of all, don't think there was any bad intent on this statement?  Second, I don't necessarily think that Ellen Pompeo literally has the power to end the show.  I think it was more on the lines of "well, if Ellen wants to continue let's see where else we can take this story".  Let's face it, this is a now 12 year old show and is definitely nearing its end (i'd say maybe 2-4 more seasons at most) so I don't think its fair to "blame" Ellen for taking jobs away from the hundreds of cast and crew members if she no longer wishes to be on it.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Like 2

Sorry, Greysaddict, I should have been more clear.  I don't mean to ascribe that sentiment to Ellen or Shonda and I am certainly not "blaming" Ellen if she doesn't want to continue on the show.  I was more referring to the fans calling for the show to be canceled or for the thought that since Patrick wanted to leave, one of Shonda's only choices was to end the show.  I just don't think that makes sense.  And I definitely agree that Ellen was in on the decisions about Patrick's departure and the future of the show.  Just like I think that now Shonda has at least some idea of who is staying and who is going at the end of this season, even if it isn't official.

Should Ellen want to leave at the end of this season, but the writers, crew and the rest of the cast want to give it a shot for another season or two, I think that they should.  If no one wants to watch Grey's Anatomy without the Grey, then that will be apparent soon enough and the ratings will show it.  But this is much more of an ensemble show than say Dexter or Breaking Bad.  Those shows had to have a set life span due to their very premise.  But I don't think that Grey's is that kind of show.  Sorry again, if I wasn't clear.  And again, I really think that it is time for the show to hang it up, or at least get an end date in mind, but I would just rather that decision come because the writers and Shonda finally admit that they have no more stories left to tell.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Like 1

I get what you are saying Deanie87, but it seems like only a specific segment of fans were calling for the show to end with Patrick's departure.  I think (and this is just my opinion) in Shonda's mind it wasn't only about Patrick or Ellen or any single actor but that with Sandra Oh recently gone, Patrick leaving, and if Ellen had intentions of leaving after this season (S12), that maybe it was time to wrap up the show.  FWIW, if that had been the case I'd bet they would have finished out with S12 and not end with 11.  

• Like 1

I get what you are saying Deanie87, but it seems like only a specific segment of fans were calling for the show to end with Patrick's departure.  I think (and this is just my opinion) in Shonda's mind it wasn't only about Patrick or Ellen or any single actor but that with Sandra Oh recently gone, Patrick leaving, and if Ellen had intentions of leaving after this season (S12), that maybe it was time to wrap up the show.  FWIW, if that had been the case I'd bet they would have finished out with S12 and not end with 11.  

I agree. I think, what it seems, is that Patrick obviously wanted to continue racing more, which resulted in continuous time off. I'm sure he would have honoured the rest of his 2-year deal, but Shonda knew she'd have to continue writing around his schedule (having Derek gone) - I think she spoke with Ellen and Patrick about the possibilities, and I'm sure at least Shonda and Ellen agreed that death was the only logical way to write Derek off and continue Meredith's story. I certainly prefer him dying than just leaving Meredith. I think it's true that it energized her story, there's a lot more possibility now and a lot to play. So they wrote Dempsey off in a dramatic way with a plan to revamp season 12 and continue from there. I think if Ellen had intention to leave at the end of this year, they would have kept Dempsey around and ended this year. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Like 2