Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

Yep, cats. Snip has decided that she now wants Lily's sleeping spot on my bed, next to the pillows on the alarm clock side.  So Lily is now sleeping in the living room, and I'm getting whacked in the nose (with claws) when the alarm goes off in the morning.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, DeLurker said:

My daughter’s friend’s dog needs his nails trimmed, but he gets so stressed the groomers have said they can’t do it.  The vet’s office has tried but due to the dog’s extreme anxiety, they said they could do it on a future visit but they would need to put him under anesthesia first.

Does this sound normal?  My dog’s have always worn down their nails by walks, although the vet tech’s take care of Kook’s dew claws since they are pretty substantial.

Anesthesia seems extreme.

That’s my dog. And yes, it’s true. I asked earlier at some point in this thread if they knew of a help but no one did. It’s horrible.

Knoxie goes and has gone on long walks and they just won’t wear them down. I’ve scoured the Internet like you wouldn’t believe. 

I can also give PSA.  I went to brunch one Sunday and I still get a Christmas stocking as an adult and the goods were on a table in a bag (!) and we determined Knoxie had eaten 15 plus mini Reese cups, 10 Hershey kiss, and maybe 20 other bite size- all milk chocolate upon return. 

Well- as you can imagine that scared me. They asked how much, when, what kind. I told them and they were like can you get here in 30 minutes and time matters. Whole thing was insane. They have an IV which forces them to puke and she apparently puked a ton of chocolate and foil wrappers. Whole thing cost me 118 which I felt was a bargain as they treated her as “get her here  now”. 

What I learned is bakers or unsweetened chocolate is no joke. Semi sweet should also be taken seriously.   And size of dog matters.  I probably would have been ok not taking her but consider scarred but smarter. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Like 5

On 1/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, DeLurker said:

My daughter’s friend’s dog needs his nails trimmed, but he gets so stressed the groomers have said they can’t do it.  The vet’s office has tried but due to the dog’s extreme anxiety, they said they could do it on a future visit but they would need to put him under anesthesia first.

Does this sound normal?  My dog’s have always worn down their nails by walks, although the vet tech’s take care of Kook’s dew claws since they are pretty substantial.

Anesthesia seems extreme.

I haven't been here much since the format change but had extra time to mosey through it tonight.  I have 3 dogs, 2 never need their nails clipped, the other every daggoned  month.  And of course he's the one that I can't do myself.  Pet Smart groomers with nail grinders has had the best luck with him.....he likes the open area rather than the small room of the vets office.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 8:40 AM, smittykins said:

I’m trying to read Pioneer Girl, but Shadow has other ideas.

A) that's really a great revelatory book, and B) was there ever a cat or dog who didn't do that? Lol.

• Like 2

Anyone try toilet training their cats?  If so, are there any products that you would recommend?

Fluff update: Here he is in his new home with his snowshoe housemate. The adorableness of it all is just too much!

50994971_10102645595347845_7891955548306800640_n.jpg

51165958_10102645597473585_1020552223156862976_n.jpg

• Like 24

On 1/24/2019 at 9:59 AM, DeLurker said:

Anyone try toilet training their cats?  If so, are there any products that you would recommend?

When my cousin had cats she tried it.

Her recommendation is tequila, a lot of it...

• Like 9

10 hours ago, bosawks said:

When my cousin had cats she tried it.

Her recommendation is tequila, a lot of it...

Ask her how I get the cat to drink tequila?

• Like 9

No idea if it works, but this was on Shark Tank:

CitiKitty

Edited by smeds
  • Like 1

Anyone try toilet training their cats?

Why do you feel this would be better than having them use a litterbox?  The only people I know who did this got the cats to use the toilet with less trouble than you'd think, but had to stop it because their two dogs were not dissuaded at all from drinking out of the toilet just because it had cat pee and shit in it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Why do you feel this would be better than having them use a litterbox? 

Primarily to get the dog to stop trying to eat the cat poop from the litter box.  I never thought about the dog going to the toilet to retrieve it, but Kook stays as far away from anyplace someone might try to bath him and my downstairs bathroom is really quite small.

• Like 1

I accidentally ran over and killed one of my favorite parking lot work cats, Tom, when I was leaving this evening. He must of been under my back tire as I did not see him in front of me and and did not feel anything. I just happened to look back and saw him not moving and bleeding. I am devastated--he was so funny and loving and deserved better. I am so angry at myself.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

FYI, in case anyone feeds this, Hill's has issued a voluntary recall of some canned dog food for excessive vitamin D content.  (The link is to the product list section of its website, which right now has the recall notice on top of it; if you come along later and just see the regular product list at that link, you may have to hunt the notice down.)

• Like 1

So, sing along! To the melody of "Riders in the Sky" (Jim Morrison/The Doors to show you how old I am):

Water from the sky....

it makes the kitties cry!

Water from the sky...

just singing to my poor Louis the cat because it is actually raining like mad here on the central Californian coast which happens not enough in the last few years but also means he can't go out and supervise the night creatures in the garden (mostly lizards which he finally learned not to eat).

• Like 4

We played hooky today for a friend’s birthday but I can’t tell if she enjoyed it?

9DE03ECA-3A0B-4F31-AF6A-F2B2BA0D6DD1.jpeg

• Like 22

2 hours ago, bosawks said:

We played hooky today for a friend’s birthday but I can’t tell if she enjoyed it?

Yeah, the poor dear looks positively miserable.  What they endure just to indulge our whims ...  ;-)

• Like 13

21 hours ago, bosawks said:

Does Alli's shadow trump Phil the groundhog's shadow?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Does Alli's shadow trump Phil the groundhog's shadow?

Every day is Spring when you’re Alli!

• Like 5

On 1/27/2019 at 8:56 PM, AgentRXS said:

Fluff update: Here he is in his new home with his snowshoe housemate. The adorableness of it all is just too much!

50994971_10102645595347845_7891955548306800640_n.jpg

51165958_10102645597473585_1020552223156862976_n.jpg

Oh my gosh! That sweet kitty looks just like my Miss. Meowme! She was a Maine Coon. I've posted here about losing both our cat and dog last year. They were 15 years old and passed away within weeks of each other. Lately I've been having a lot of dreams about our cat and after dinner tonight we decided to adopt a new kitty. I've been missing animal companionship something fierce. I'm not ready for another dog quite yet- his death hit me the hardest. The kids are at my parents house tonight so we plan on surprising them tomorrow with our new addition. 

IMG_8244.JPG

• Like 16

So sweet!

Girl cat had her way overdue check up Thursday and was declared UTI-free. Woo! Poor baby couldn't quite hold it until we got to the office so they got the sample from the carrier. Then she got a spa day as they washed her off. Now she has a clean and fluffy butt.

In bird news, there are now 2 hawks visiting my yard and dining on pigeons. And yet the pigeons come. Feathers everywhere.

Pantry moths have invaded the house. It isn't too bad, just a couple a day and has been that way for a long time (they're annoying but not dangerous). I've put up a couple of traps, vacuumed and cleaned around the seed as much as I could, and just finished hauling everything out of the food cupboard to scour it. Most of my food is already in airtight containers because of ant problems in past years. In conclusion, fuck Wagner and their sunflower seeds.

bighawk02.JPG

Edited by ABay
  • Like 8

What a sweet kitty, Mountainair! Growing up every kitty I had was a gray, male tabby. They were so patient with hyper childhood me.

• Like 3

Just got done giving my big floofy dog a bath at the new pet place that opened up recently.  They have grooming by appointment and two self-wash stations.  For $12, you get a station, hot & cold water, shampoo & conditioner if you want it (I brought my own), endless towels (!) and a dryer.  As an added bonus, you don't have to clean up the place after and you don't have to wash the towels.

Since Kook is a practitioner of passive resistance when it comes to baths, he was not thrilled.  I, on the other hand, was quite pleased not to have to bend down to wash the dog and to be able to wash him in an environment designed for washing dogs.

It did take me a fair amount of time - probably 75-85 minutes, but I was new to this kind of set up and did not want to turn the water nor the air up too high on Kook since he is already stressed out when getting a bath.  The only potential issue was when I was getting him ready to get out of the tub.  I unhooked him from the tether that keeps dogs secure when being washed and was putting back on his regular collar.  He decided he should start to walk out of the tub, meaning to walk over and down the ramp.  He's tall enough to where he could probably do it without problem, but I did not want to chance it.

• Like 4

My 15 pound cat is constantly pouncing on shadows.  Needless to say it is annoying, hearing the constant "thud" even if I am not in the same room.   Meanwhile, the other cat has no clue what is going on and just sleeps.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Little Mama was VERY naughty last night. I came home from work and she uncharacteristically ran out the door into the building hallway (thank god my apartment is inside the building!). I threw all my stuff down and ran after her. Of course, she decided to run up and down the stairs to the top floor and down the halls. She also howled at the top of her lungs...at 10:15. One of my neighbors poked her head out when she finally slowed down and I told her what was going on and apologized. She finally stopped at the door directly above mine and let me grab her. She got a very stern lecture once we got back home. She and Little Girl didn't immediately get dinner. No perceived rewards for that stunt!

I'm just so, so glad my apartment is inside a building. I can't imagine how heartbroken I would be if she got out into the outside world. She's microchipped, but still. Little Girl would be inconsolable, too. This is how they are cuddling right now.

IMG_20190222_150519_crop_857x756.thumb.jpg.78266fca364b493df9f21bfe3b7ed908.jpg

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 10

I missed National Pet Day and will have to take a certain someone to PetSmart to appease.

She’s a grudge holder, all evidence to the contrary.....

909DD217-C11D-46F4-B3F0-CAB8A9026641.jpeg

• Like 12

Fuck, fuck, fuck...

The problem with dogs is they don't live forever. These fuzzy little things come into your life, and find a way into your heart, and much too soon they leave us.

We had to let Denali go today.  She had been having some difficulty breathing, wheezing and panting with little exertion, resulting in a couple of trips to the vet in the past week and a half.  On Tuesday, the vet found a significant amount of fluid in her lungs, so much that he didn't know how she was standing and walking on her own, but she's always been a fighter, a tough little girl.  From tests, it looked like lymphoma. She was going on 11 years old, and has had a few health challenges that she fought through, and GF didn't want to put her through any more treatments that could maybe give her a couple of months, if that.  We brought her home and made her comfortable, and even spoiled her a little more than usual, knowing we only had a week or two left with her.  She kept fighting through it all, trying her best to carry on as usual.  It's been raining most of the week, but Thursday afternoon the sun came out for a while.  GF had to be in the office, so I was home with her, and we sat on the front porch for about an hour - being out in the sun was one of her favorite things.  This morning, her breathing was more labored, and she didn't eat breakfast, and we knew it was time.  We brought her to the vet this afternoon, and got to hold her close until the end.

Denali was the sweetest, loving-est, friendliest, toughest little pup I've ever known.  She wasn't in my life all that long in the scheme of things, but we fell in love with one another from the first time we met.  I will miss her forever.

JM_2018_09_19_Denali_010-XL.jpg

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_001-XL.jpg

Next to cookies, she loved car rides most of all!

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_004-XL.jpg

JM_2018_12_08_Denali_001-XL.jpg

This morning, with some of her favorite toys.

JM_2019_02_22_Denali_001-XL.jpg

IMG_0581-XL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 24

@Moose135 I'm so so sorry to read this.  I'm glad you got to have her in your life as long as you did and I'm sure she was glad, too.  

• Like 6

@Moose135: I am so sad about your losing Denali.  Whew - it's so wrenching being at the vet's the final time (was there with our Maine Coon cat 2 years ago).  They're our "kids" and I can tell by the photos that she enjoyed her life and certainly loved you.  Take care.

• Like 8

@Moose135 - I am so sorry for your loss.  Denali is so happy in the pics you always posted and was obviously much loved.

• Like 7

MOOSE135, Denali had a wonderful life and you could see her happiness in every picture you shared. My deepest sympathies to you and your gf.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 7

Sorry for your loss @Moose135.

I lie to myself constantly that Alli will live forever much like I did about my previous dog, Max.

Pets are so perfect that they have to have the one imperfection of mortality.

• Like 12

On 2/10/2019 at 10:05 AM, ABay said:

In bird news, there are now 2 hawks visiting my yard and dining on pigeons. And yet the pigeons come. Feathers everywhere.

I find that horribly depressing.  I know it is part of nature.  Still, witnessing lives get snuffed out like that would be something I wouldn't want to witness.

• Sad 1

Oh @Moose135, I’m so sorry for your loss. Denali was a beauty, and her sweet personality and happiness was evident in your picture. I hope your happy memories od Denali will be some comfort to you at this difficult time.

• Like 8

So sorry for your loss @Moose135 and your gf's too. It was clear from pictures that Denali was a well loved and taken care of companion who gave the same in return. 

I always get kinda nervous when I see so many notifications from this thread in my email because it's usually good news, bad news or something in between. 

• Like 7

My condolences, @Moose135, and especially to your girlfriend on the loss of Denali.  I'm glad she had such a loving owner - and then the loving owner got a boyfriend who takes great pictures, so Denali is quite thoroughly and beautifully memorialized for posterity.

• Like 11