Cranberry

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

@tiftgirl, when the time comes, know that while the vet may be the only person physically there with you, the thoughts of everyone here will be embracing you in comfort and strength.

• Like 12

Shout out to SmartyKat brand customer service! I bought a toy on Prime Day and about 8 weeks later the motor died. I emailed them and they sent a replacement out right away.

I emailed them last night to see where I could buy the kitten-cats favorite kick toy and they replied it had been discontinued (which I figured since I couldn't find it anywhere) but they'd let their product team know there was interest. I thanked them and said if they came across any in their warehouse I'd be happy to buy them off of them. Turns out they don't sell directly to the public but they found two left and are mailing them out next week free of charge!

• Like 7

@tiftgirl I am so sorry. Bastet is exactly right---we will all be here for you when you need us. Non-creepy hugs to both you and Shana.

Came here to share photos of some of my parking lot cats at my job, Aren't they adorable?

43749673_10156734500159907_5803706418510954496_n.jpg

43788911_10156734500239907_5216855277030080512_n.jpg

43877784_10156734500269907_8320387035823079424_n.jpg

44348366_10156750175944907_2703352999941505024_n.jpg

• Like 16

21 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

Yall not good.  Shana has only days left, maybe tomorrow.  There have been several set backs this week and the Dr just said it depends when she see's her tomorrow.  She said she was afraid she was going to tell me to bring her in when she called, but, Shana is doing better today and she said since was having a good day just love her and enjoy our time and her weight and demeanor will determine tomorrow, but, she said within the week.

I am not sure I can make it through, but, I will not leave her to be alone when it happens.

The ONLY reason you can, and will, make it through is for your Shana, because you are a good and loving Mum, @tiftgirl.

We all empathize with you, and there are just no adequate words of comfort or wisdom to help you through these terrible times; but I know full well we are all here for you, and are feeling your pain.  Please know that these PTV animal lovers are THE most compassionate, giving and loving people on the planet I've ever "met", and they will do everything in their power to help you through the darkest days of your life.  I know this - because they've done it for me.  More than once.

Sending you both peaceful and loving thoughts.

• Like 10

I had to let Shana go yesterday.  The Dr said her body was tired and was starting to shut down.  They had to stick her twice to get the catheter in they couldn't even get a vein in the first leg.

In what could only be a God wink, when I called my best friend Friday night to tell him what was going on his plane had just landed in Atlanta to get his connecting flight back home to N.C.  He change his flight to Sat afternoon and came out here and was with me and her Friday night and yesterday when she left.  We were roommates when Shana found me in 2000 and though he is allergic to cats he never had a reaction (except for visits to the vet with other cats around) until he moved in 2004.  So he was there when she came into my life and he was there when she left it.

I have not been alone in the house for over 18 years.  I keep thinking I hear her in another room.  I guess because she was the last, I didn't have this feeling when the others passed.  They are all together now.

I know I should pack up all the food and clean the litter boxes so I can donate them, but, I just can't seem to make myself.  I look at her stuff and just break down.

I feel like crap emotionally and physically, my muscles hurt, my chest is congested.  My nose make sense because I keep crying.  I just want to go to bed and snuggle up but there is no one to snuggle with me.

• Like 18

I am so very sorry for your loss, @tiftgirl.  

It is good that you had your best friend with you when the time came.  But the aching loneliness and emptiness you are feeling must be excruciating.  I wish I could loan you my Babalu - he's an excellent snuggler, and has comforted me through the losses of all my other cats.  Sadly, I believe we've both attained professional mourner status.  :-(

Please try to take care of yourself in the best way you can, and know that we are all mourning with you.  I wish you the blessed relief of sleep, and hope you find small comfort in our inadequate words of condolences.

• Like 10

@tiftgirl - Shana's never going to be too far from you, although right now it seems that the space is endless.  Once the very real tangible loss of her presence in your life is accepted, and you do not have to be graceful in that now, Shana will keep tabs on you.   She's been with you for 18 years - your heart beats have sync'd.    I'm not much in the way of a believer, but if there were proof of a Higher Power, I'd say you got it in the best friend's travels overlap.

• Like 8

tiftgirl, take your time dealing with her things. When my Olivia passed, I gave her food and puppy pads to the vet's office pretty quickly but I held on to her toys and pillows for many months. My new pup Bonnie has actually used some of them. 

Take care of yourself, it's hard. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

I have not been alone in the house for over 18 years.  I keep thinking I hear her in another room.  I guess because she was the last, I didn't have this feeling when the others passed.  They are all together now.

When Maddie died, it was the first time I'd been cat-less due to death since I was a child.  It is indeed extra hard when you can't comfort yourself by curling up with other cats.  My heart goes out to you.  I'm so glad it happened to work out for your friend to be there with you, and not just any friend but the one who was with you when Shana came into your life.  But I know how lonely, empty, and just plain wrong it feels at home now, and am thinking of you.

2 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

I know I should pack up all the food and clean the litter boxes so I can donate them, but, I just can't seem to make myself.  I look at her stuff and just break down.

There's no "should" here, because there's no timeline you're obligated to follow.  Do with the stuff what you will when you will; don't make yourself do anything right now.

With Maddie, I did it the same day.  And then I felt like shit, as if I'd erased her.  Which, of course, was not at all what it was about; seeing the stuff was making me cry even more, so I put it away (some stuff I kept for future cats, some I donated).  That's what was right for me, in that moment.  What's right for you in this moment is not to physically deal with the cats' things.  When that changes, you'll handle it then.

One moment at a time, @tiftgirl.  All you have to do right now is keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other.  These early days in the grief process are simply excruciating, and there's no getting around that.  Curl up in a ball, yell, cry, sit bewildered - do it all as it comes, and do it on your schedule.  We'll be here.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Like 14

@tiftgirl, I’m so sorry. You and Shana were lucky to have each other, and I have no doubt that she knew how much you loved her, even at the end. Please take the time to grieve at your own pace and don’t rush into throwing things out. You will know when it feels right. 

• Like 10

The next door neighbor periodically have an motor home parked in front of their house - it is quite nice and has tinted windows.  Unfortunately, Kook gets very alarmed when he sees them walking into it - he has never seen one before & he can't see them once they get inside so he's pretty certain they have just been eaten by some beast.  He tries to give them warnings, but they never listen.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

The next door neighbor periodically have an motor home parked in front of their house - it is quite nice and has tinted windows.  Unfortunately, Kook gets very alarmed when he sees them walking into it - he has never seen one before & he can't see them once they get inside so he's pretty certain they have just been eaten by some beast.  He tries to give them warnings, but they never listen.

Perhaps you should stop letting Kook watch The X Files with you ... ;-)

• Like 9

Thank you all very much for you words and thoughts.  I don't have the words but all of them mean very much to me.  There are times  I feel like I can't cry and times I feel like I will never stop. In my head I know in time it will get better but my heart just feels like it is broken into a million pieces.

• Like 9

@tiftgirl I’m so sorry to hear about Shana and glad that your friend made the choice to change her fight plans and come stay with you. Condolences from kitties Mindthinkr and me. I’ve had some great cats pass over the bridge and Shana has a bunch of our well loved animals to keep her company. Do whatever you feel best about doing with her stuff. I wish I had better words to comfort you.  

• Like 6

@tiftgirl, my thoughts are with you now. I'm so sorry about Shana. I'm glad you had a friend to hold your hand during Shana's passing.

I was catless for the first time in 30+ years when Bilgisticat passed last September. I slept for days to avoid feeling anything because my grief was so overwhelming.

The loss never gets easier, but eventually you will remember how to breathe again. Be very gentle with yourself and allow yourself to feel what you feel. It's all OK and there's no "normal" or "right" way to feel. Shana was a vital part of your life, and nothing can diminish that.

We are all here for you.

• Like 9

@tiftgirl, I'm sorry to hear about your little kitty.

We had some great weather on Sunday - a little cool, but sunny - so we took a ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to see how the fall colors were coming.  We took Denali along for the ride, as she loves going for rides!

This was at Price Lake on the Parkway:

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_001-XL.jpg

JM_2018_10_21_Denali_002-XL.jpg

Let's go! Let's go!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=32bc34fe46752225JM_2018_10_21_Denali_004-XL.jpg

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 12

There's no such thing as a photo-off ... Every damned one of those pics deserves it's own hall of Fame.

AND ... you cannot MAKE me vote for my favorite animal pic  (I'm Canadian, eh!).

• Like 6

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

She's giving Ali a run for their money! I think we need a puppers photo-off!

Alli says game on!!!

Not really, she’s actually kinda zen...

092A384A-1158-437E-A401-DF424C8A1EF6.jpeg

• Like 11

I don't know what makes me more jealous - the fact that y'all have photogenic pets or the fact that y'all have cameras, and know how to use them.

I'll just be back here in my sulky corner, waiting for Mama Raccoon to bring her newest 3 little roly-poly bandit babies to my back door for snack time.

I didn't have to wait long - she's actually hoovering up cat food in the dusk as we speak - and I see 3 little faces peeking out at me from the bushes!  Time for eggs.

Life is sweet.

• Like 10

On 10/21/2018 at 2:38 PM, Bastet said:

When Maddie died, it was the first time I'd been cat-less due to death since I was a child.  It is indeed extra hard when you can't comfort yourself by curling up with other cats.  My heart goes out to you.  I'm so glad it happened to work out for your friend to be there with you, and not just any friend but the one who was with you when Shana came into your life.  But I know how lonely, empty, and just plain wrong it feels at home now, and am thinking of you.

There's no "should" here, because there's no timeline you're obligated to follow.  Do with the stuff what you will when you will; don't make yourself do anything right now.

With Maddie, I did it the same day.  And then I felt like shit, as if I'd erased her.  Which, of course, was not at all what it was about; seeing the stuff was making me cry even more, so I put it away (some stuff I kept for future cats, some I donated).  That's what was right for me, in that moment.  What's right for you in this moment is not to physically deal with the cats' things.  When that changes, you'll handle it then.

One moment at a time, @tiftgirl.  All you have to do right now is keep breathing and put one foot in front of the other.  These early days in the grief process are simply excruciating, and there's no getting around that.  Curl up in a ball, yell, cry, sit bewildered - do it all as it comes, and do it on your schedule.  We'll be here.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don’t typically repost long ones but yes, yes and yes to this.

@tiftgirlI am so sorry for your loss.

This may sound odd but when my dog  Scout died I bought a little stuffed animal I fell in love with. I slept and cradled that little guy for a long time. Coming home to my empty apartment made me feel unsure of what to do and I hated it. And I left Scouts stuff out a long time until I was ok to remove them.  The little guy helped. He now lives on an ottoman in my parents living room. But he got me through a lot. 

• Like 9

New bird at the feeders! What I thought was a jumbo black-capped Chickadee is actually a white-breasted nuthatch. And the juncos are back for the winter. 

I'm sure the nor'easter tomorrow will be as anti-climactic as all the other hyped storms have been, but I'm hoping to spend a cozy day watching the rain & napping with a cat on my lap.

• Like 5

Nuthatches are fun. They walk face down the trunks of trees. I’ve got a couple that have been working over the suet pretty good.

• Like 2

Speaking of birds, my neighborhood acquired a young but very large and fierce hawk a couple of months ago. The hawk has been hunting the sparrows and a couple of days ago I was sitting at my desk, which is next to the patio glass doors (from ceiling to floor) going out to my patio and a sparrow, which was being chased by the hawk, hit the glass right next to me and fell to the ground, clearly stunned. The hawk landed on the fence and watched the sparrow on the ground but did not come down and get it (not sure why - maybe because the hawk could see me right there?). My cat Louis who was also in my office (he supervises me all day long to make sure no food opportunities go by because of insufficient vigilance) was understandably interested and made to go out the cat door and get the sparrow but I dissuaded him, wanting to see what the birds would do. It was a several hours long stand off and then eventually the hawk flew away, Louis fell asleep on the rug looking out and when it was dusk the sparrow got up and flew away! Yesterday there were two hawks on the fence (maybe a couple? how can you tell?) so there must be good feeding opportunities for them around here just now (lots of fallow fields in our area so I presume lots of rodents etc.). They are so beautiful and elegant!

• Like 1

The hawk is just wild in the neighborhood as I understand it, not being kept by anyone.  I see one perched on my utility lines from time to time, and once in my orange tree; any others, I just see flying/circling overhead.  (Okay, so it may not be the same one coming down each time, but it's rare enough I just say, "Hello, Hawk" as if is a repeat visitor.)

• Like 4

My neighbor has a red hawk living in one of his front yard trees and "my" owl has shown up again last month. He or she is huge and loud as hell at night. I swear, dogs in our neighborhood can't bark as loud as this thing hoots. It lives in a pecan tree in my backyard and will disappear for months at a time but it always comes back in the fall.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 3

When I left my orange cat out on the deck today he stayed right next to the door instead of wandering around and checking things out the way he usually does.  I couldn't figure out why at first until I saw a huge hawk sitting in the top of my neighbor's tree.  We've actually got three or four hawks living in the neighborhood because it's got a decent amount of green space, but this is the closest I've seen one to my house in a while.

• Like 4

This is the Day of the Hawk--a Cooper's Hawk flew across the yard when I went to fill a feeder. Haven't seen it in months.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Is that a walrus I see before me?

A69B732D-F3F1-4C8A-BFCD-2437868D5BF2.jpeg

Awwwww!!!!

Who has 4 paws and has to go to the vet tomorrow? The kittencat! He did something  (again) to his paw and its red and raw inside. I wish I knew what he was doing so I could kittencat proof it! 

• Like 6

E776C5F0-A23D-4BD6-A000-266D45A39683.jpeg.194638c38bb297473334083d6d0fb5ff.jpeg

Big boy. I love how when he is relaxed he crosses his paws. He bit me today only because he hates being groomed and he’s so fat that he can’t reach some areas and I have no choice but to groom him where he cannot reach. He did not break my skin. It was one of those warning bites. Brat. 

• Like 14

15 hours ago, ABay said:

This is the Day of the Hawk--a Cooper's Hawk flew across the yard when I went to fill a feeder. Haven't seen it in months.

Bird killers. Them and the smaller cousin the Sharp Shinned Hawk terrorize my dad's feeders.

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Big boy. I love how when he is relaxed he crosses his paws. He bit me today only because he hates being groomed and he’s so fat that he can’t reach some areas and I have no choice but to groom him where he cannot reach. He did not break my skin. It was one of those warning bites. Brat. 

Such a handsome and distinguished gentleman!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He looks like a ladies man in that pose. All he needs is a smoking jacket and a glass of whiskey to complete the picture. 

Kitty Gunderson the Elder used to sit very erect and cross her paws daintily in front of her. We called her Ms Priss in that pose (she really did look super prissy). 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

@Mindthinkr, I see you and raise you my beautiful late calico/tortie kitty in all her cross-pawed, floofy splendor.

20150714_003539_crop_610x780.jpg.d10d25d5b7a068033598283eacddedab.jpg

Beautiful cat. I’m jealous alone because of the long fur and lovely coat. 

I just want you to know that it’s never a competition. (IMO) We are all lucky if we have fur buddies (cats or dogs) that love us. Thank you for sharing that picture of your beautiful calico kitty. 

• Like 3

She was a special girl. I love all the kitties everywhere. I follow several cat Instagram pages, including a bookstore cats account, brewery cats (who knew!) and bodega cats. I must look at all the cats!

• Like 3