Galileo908

S26.E04: Treehouse of Horror XXV

Treehouse of Horror time! From SNPP:

-When Bart reads some symbols carved to the bottom of his desk, he transports himself and Lisa to a demon-filled universe
-In a spoof of "A Clockwork Orange", "Marge" wants "Homer" to leave "Moe's" gang;
-The Simpsons are visited a a strangely familiar family...including The Mother With No First Name...it's the Simpsons from The Tracey Ullman Show (and yes, while the names Homer, Bart, Lisa, Maggie, and Simpson are used in the shorts, Marge is never named - even in the credits, it's always "Mom" or "Mrs. Simpson")

• Like 1

Cold Open: Longtime holdouts Prince and Bruce Springsteen on the show?! Well, all the "guest stars" were strung up anyway. Liked seeing the clip reel of every past THoH (though the last few clips seemed made up. The last few got WEIRD)

School is Hell: Really loved the designs of everything in Hell School. And of course Bart would be an A student in it. Also, loved seeing the donut torture machine in the background. Man, when was the last time somebody referenced Hot Stuff? I'll agree with the writers, his lame comics belong in Super Hell.

Bart getting an "A" in "Keeping the Yankees in First Place?" Heh, nice to see that Yankees gag back in "Bart Gets Hit By A Car" go full circle. You know, the bit where Satan doesn't expect Bart back in hell until the Yankees win the pennant. Which at the time was "a century from now," but was actually about three years later.

Anyone else notice Martin holding a copy of "Naked Lunch?"

A Clockwork Yellow: This is where I admit to not have seen A Clockwork Orange yet to appreciate all the little jokes, but I enjoyed it just the same. But seeing Moe in the Malcolm McDowell role was awesome. "These eye clamps are the only way I can tolerate today's TV." DEFINITELY not the first time the show parodied the Ludovico scene. Or have someone dress up as a droog. Or hell, most of the Kubrick references at the end have been done before. But I do like how the segment eventually broke down into various Kubrick parodies, with Kubrick himself wanting to scrap the whole thing.

Speaking of obscure comic references, loved seeing The Schmoo having a cameo in statue form.

The Others: Yeah LOVED the Simpsons being haunted by the Tracy Ullman versions of themselves. But man, Marge killing herself to be more attractive to Homer (Tracy Ullman!Marge wasn't bitter yet) was DARK. As was the implication that Willie killed Maggie. But all the alternate versions of the Simpsons showing at the end was AWESOME. The Lego versions! Adventure Time versions! South Park! Minions! Hell, I spotted an Archer version of the family!

EDIT: BTW, that was John Ratzenberger as CGI Homer.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3

Some of the other versions threw me off so I didn't recognize them but the South Park version rendered Maggie Canadian because of the beady eyes (which I don't mind at all) and I need a minion Simpsons plush toy in my life.  

Oh yeah, appreciated seeing Dr. Marvin Monroe again. Love how they acknowledged that he's neither alive nor dead, just in some kinda limbo.

ETA: I also wish that segment focused a bit on Lisa, she probably had the most character development. Early Lisa was fun, rambunctious, pretty much a smarter version of Bart. Current Lisa is quiet, self-righteous, vegetarian and Buddhist, Early Lisa would've freaked at that.

Edited by Galileo908

The site ate my post when I was 80% of the way through writing it, so here's as much of it as I can remember.  I had mixed feelings about this episode

Opening: I was glad they made the opening short to give more time to the actual segments.  And it was a nice way to recognize the show's history rather than steal plots outright *cough* Marge opens a food franchise.

Hell School:  This was a good idea without a plot.  Bart goes to Hell.  Bart likes it in Hell.  Bart continues to like it in Hell.  The End. Some of the visual gags were great, but not enough plot.

Clockwork Yellow.  I haven't seen the movie or read the book, so I can't comment too much.  It seems like there wasn't a fully developed plot here either, but I can't fully comment.

Tracy Ullman Ghosts:  Another really nice idea, but the plot was lacking.  The family meets ghosts of their old selves.  And then Modern Homer cheats with Old Marge.  Then everyone dies.  The End.  If there wasn't going to be much of a plot, the show could have focused more on how the characters have evolved over the past 25 years.  Marge going from romantic to bitter just didn't seem to be the character evolution I would have noticed, let alone focused on.

Overall, there were some good ideas, and good isolated gags.  But not so much in the way of plot.  Old Halloween episodes would have 3 stories with full plots that get resolved by the end.  This episode reminded me more of Family Guy - all gag, no plot.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Like 2

Ya know, it's been twelve hours since I watched this ep and I'm still cackling over "the power of Chrysler compels you!"

As much as I appreciated seeing the Tracey Ullman version of the family my fave segment last night was Bart in Hell School, loved how well he succeeded (all A's on his report card!), loved seeing the design of the school and the characters, heck I even didn't mind his teacher's creepy "down here we can make that happen" re: Bart having a crush on her. It was an ok ep, which is high praise coming from me since I've been fairly men these past few seasons. Also liked seeing those quick scenes at the beginning of past TOH eps and of course seeing all the versions of the Simpsons at the end.

I would have LOVED a reference to John Wayne being in hell, one of my fave WTF Simpsons moments ever was during another TOH when the Devil tries to keep everyone quiet or they'll wake John Wayne...only to have John Wayne shuffle out with a coffee cup grumbling "I'm already awake." Don't know why but it tickles me to imagine John Wayne in hell.

I liked Hell School, the other two were sub-par, though Comic Book Guy in the Kubrick one was good ("Even I don't know what I'm referencing!"). Loved the brief glimpse of Adventure Time Simpsons at the end.

• Like 1

Another one of the Simpsons versions at the end was in the Triplets of Belleville style.

I wasn't too thrilled with this one. I loved "The power of Chrysler compels you," and that the ghost of Old Homer kills Current Homer with a toaster, but not by dropping it in the bath.

I liked when Lisa and Bart teleported back to Earth, and Mr Burns perfunctorily says, "Welcome to Earth, local time is 10:37, we know you have your choice of portals, so thank you for choosing the Burns Hellport, a division of Gulf & Western."

Is it wrong that I didn't blame Homer for being attracted to Old Marge?  She really was more likable.  And If Marge would rather stay with Homer and yet continue to a bitter ninny, then that's her fault not his.

But yeah, the family killing themselves/getting killed by Willie was dark. 

I'm cool with Dark. As peeayebee mentioned, hanging the toaster over the bathtub and then killing him but not dropping it in the tub was funny.  I also kind of liked that Homer mentioned that he was attracted to younger Marge, much to the annoyance of current Marge. Heh.

I really liked the first segment.  That would have been at home in pretty much any Treehouse of Horror ever, and I think that is pretty high praise. ("We can make that happen down here." Eww, and also Hee!)

Edited by JTMacc99

though Comic Book Guy in the Kubrick one was good ("Even I don't know what I'm referencing!").

Just to be that guy, the reference was Barry Lyndon. And I refuse to believe that Comic Book Guy wouldn't know that. I've never seen Barry Lyndon, and even I knew that. After all, Kubrick did not make that many films. Not to mention the way Comic Book guy was dressed should have been the tipoff.

Of the three, the first was the most enjoyable. The second had the pop culture references, but they used to be able to make such references far less ham handedly. The third was dull, and only notable for seeing the Tracy Ullman era Simpsons once again.

Overall, this one can be tossed on the pile of ultimately forgettable Treehouse of Horrors shows of recent vintage.

Was it just me, or did they miss out on The Shining among the Kubrick tributes?  I wasn't expecting to see Killer's Kiss or anything but I was surprised that wasn't there.

Lucky me, I finally watched EWS this summer after putting it off for ten+ years, so I got the jokes.

I don't know much about Barry Lyndon, so I didn't get the reference.

I wondered about The Shining, too. Maybe there was something in the background, like a person talking with his finger ("Redrum!").

I wondered about The Shining, too. Maybe there was something in the background, like a person talking with his finger ("Redrum!")

When we see Kubrick in the editing booth, there's a film can labeled "237."

• Like 1

The use of "Hell is For Children" in the first segment made for one of the most twisted musical montages this show has ever done.

Enjoyed all the references to various Kubrick films in the second segment, but did I miss something, or did Dr. Strangelove get ignored?

was there a Kang or Kodos appearance this year

I don't think we saw them. We heard them at the beginning introducing the show from their home planet. Which is interesting because in Tapped Out this year, the Halloween them is all about them.

but did I miss something, or did Dr. Strangelove get ignored?

When Homer entered the record store and met Marge, there were several albums, one of which was Dr. Strangelaugh. There was also, Paths of Gravy, Full Millhouse Jacket, and D'Ohlita. 

Edited by xander874
  • Like 1

We'll be seeing more of Kang and Kodos this year.  According to Wikipedia, episode 11 (in January) is basically "The Simpsons are going to Rigel 7!"  No idea how that will fit into canon...

I'm also excited for the Futurama crossover in 3 weeks.  Hopefully that episode will let both shows keep their voices, unlike the Family Guy crossover.

We'll be seeing more of Kang and Kodos this year.  According to Wikipedia, episode 11 (in January) is basically "The Simpsons are going to Rigel 7!"  No idea how that will fit into canon...

Wow, that episode is finally gonna air? I think it was supposed to be the season 24 finale but then got shelved for whatever reason.

I had not heard about this upcoming Kang & Kodos episode, and I am kind of embarrassed by how excited I am too see it.  I have such an irrational love for those characters!

Two words: Simpsons Minons!

I thought the last sketch was cute and funny and love those throwback voices. Homer was awesome. How the family has changed!

Really enjoyed the Halloween episode and I haven't really in a long time.

I guess, I can see Kang and Kodos visiting Earth and having the Simpsons visiting Rigel 7, as canon. Only because it has been hinted (in canon episodes, though cut-a-way jokes) that aliens are real and have visited the Earth.