Galileo908

S26.E01: Clown in The Dumps

26 seasons already! From SNPP:

Krusty retires when he is offended by a televised roast of him; a character "for whom the actor won an Emmy" dies.

So we finally find out who dies (FYI: They're not even trying to hide it anymore that it'll be

Rabbi Krustofski

).

ETA: Well, that Don Hertzfeldt couch gag was amazing. The bit starting with Homer reverting to his Tracey Ullman version was a great touch.

"Spoiler Alert: Unfortunately, my dad doesn't die." That opening had a bunch of death imagery. And we saw Flanders as an angel right at the beginning,

Nice seeing Krusty get roasted. It actually parallels when Joan Rivers got roasted. She also planned to retire, but hated the roast so much she got back in the game. Sure, that was all staged, but Jeff Ross was at both roasts. (According to writer Michael Price, it more resembled Chevy Chase's. I'm gonna agree with him, that roast was just SAD).

Totally called Rabbi Krustofski being killed off. Jackie Mason's getting old, and really sounded old in the episode. He didn't have an undignified death, but it was still so...sudden. I loved the whole "Eh" thing at the funeral. But the ending was really sweet with Jewish heaven.

Appreciated seeing Sideshows Bob and Mel meet for the first time. 25 seasons and this never happened?! I also liked seeing Gabbo and Arthur Crandall's cameos. And David Hyde Pierce and Garry Marshall appeared as themselves, too.

Seeing Homer with sleep apnea was more sad than funny. As was seeing Krusty and his father at what I'm assuming was his mother's grave.

I'm gonna agree with Rabbi Krustofski, I give this episode an "Eh." It was okay, but some parts were just SAD and I'm referring to Lisa's plot there. I went through a couple of deaths over the summer so that hit me pretty hard.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

I'm hugging you Galileo908, I had a rough year too and this was a little sad for me. Especially since I just watched Lisa's Substitute yesterday with my daughter. 

• Like 1

When they said that a major character was going to die, I just figured that it would be a character

that appeared in more than 10 episodes out of 552.

Heck, I think he has had more appearances in the comic books than he has on the actual show.

Still, Hymie the robot only appeared in seven of the 138 episodes of "Get Smart", yet everyone remembers him.

He even made a brief cameo at the end of that remake movie.

I suppose "major character" is ultimately in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't know the animator whose style they were spoofing in the couch gag, so it wasn't that funny to me.  And I have a grudge against long couch gags since it takes away from the episode and story.  There was some heart in the episode, better than other recent episodes for sure.  Basically I didn't get nearly as much emotion and humor from this episode as the one where Krusty and his dad reconcile in the first place.  A version of O Mein Papa at the funeral would have worked better than a song spoofing the Itchy and Scratchy theme.

I've given up hope years ago that the show would return to the level of what I consider its best seasons but I thought the premiere was ok, not "eh," to quote Rabbi Krustofski, but not unfunny either, despite Sarah Silverman's cameo (I cannot stand her). I had to rewind the couch gag and I'm glad I did, I liked it even more the second time around.

Mel and Bob finally meeting actually made me smile!

• Like 1

I didn't know the animator whose style they were spoofing in the couch gag, so it wasn't that funny to me.  And I have a grudge against long couch gags since it takes away from the episode and story.  There was some heart in the episode, better than other recent episodes for sure.  Basically I didn't get nearly as much emotion and humor from this episode as the one where Krusty and his dad reconcile in the first place.  A version of O Mein Papa at the funeral would have worked better than a song spoofing the Itchy and Scratchy theme.

Here is the song:

IMHO, The fact that this death was hyped up for two year really let down the episode when the death actually happened.

Yeah, I was expecting someone like Krusty or Chief Wiggum to die in this episode, but seeing Krusty trying to find himself (and also still trying to get his dad's approval/praise, even after death) made the episode good to watch. Although, I also didn't like the funeral song but I guess, (imo, in a weird way) kinds of blends in the fact that Krusty was also having a moment of crisis with his career as well as a personal crisis, and that to me kind of explains the funeral song. 

Am I the only one who enjoyed the B plot of Lisa upset about  Homer possibly dying due to his lifestyle more? They should have kept that as the main story as Lisa being worried about Homer makes sense and I find H/L episodes really touching and usually well written.

Eh well...

Edited by Aprilshowers
  • Like 1

I loved the couch gag in the beginning - was so surprised to see a Don Hertzfeldt opening! Can anyone tell me the name of the classical piece playing in the background? I've heard it a few times before, I think it might be Mozart.

Thanks!