SophiaD

Gymnastics

Kohei Out of Worlds AA

Well, this Worlds has already gone down the toilet for me. The only saving grace in the men's AA comp is a David B., Sam (I know, I know), and Kenzo podium. I don't know if I can take China taking the top two spots two years in a row. I'm still scarred from the 2010-2014 years where they kept winning with their awful technique. I guess I should be thankful Kohei can at least compete this year and not be forced to watch from the sidelines. But, seriously, David B., you are my only hope!!!! 

The women's comp will be a total snooze fest barring something catastrophic occurring (not wishing for this to happen) or someone coming out of nowhere with guns blazing and a perfect Cheng vault and a 7.0 beam start value. I won't hold my breath though. Sigh. 

angry.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Ragan is the alternate and Simone, Morgan, Riley are doing AA in quals.

If they weren’t going to use Ragan, I wish they had just left her at home to let her ankle heal!

• Like 3

Based on the performances at the worlds selection camp, I think taking Ragan was the correct choice. Yes, she's still dealing with her ankle, but she earned her spot to travel to Worlds, and could easily step in for the team on any event. I understand the rationale to say that she just spent the last 2+ weeks doing a bunch of routines that maybe she didn't need to do (especially on the hard floor in the training hall), but no one can predict the future and if someone had gotten injured, she was/is ready to come in and cover the spot.

9 hours ago, ombelico said:

Based on the performances at the worlds selection camp, I think taking Ragan was the correct choice. Yes, she's still dealing with her ankle, but she earned her spot to travel to Worlds, and could easily step in for the team on any event. I understand the rationale to say that she just spent the last 2+ weeks doing a bunch of routines that maybe she didn't need to do (especially on the hard floor in the training hall), but no one can predict the future and if someone had gotten injured, she was/is ready to come in and cover the spot.

I don’t know much about what happened at world selection camp. I didn’t think she should go to the camp after Nationals. She just looked like she was in so much pain after floor.

For the record, I’m not criticizing Ragan. She could definitely have made the podium at Worlds, even injured. I understand why she would go for it. I just feel bad for her because this is two years in a row she’s gone to Worlds without getting to compete. It’s a lot of pain to go through, only to not even compete.

Edited by Jeddah

This Worlds has been an absolute DoHell for everyone. I got my wish for a safe vault, but the curse just shifted to pommels. People have been wiping out right and left there. Poor team Japan. 

As for some good news, Sam actually HIT 6/6 in qualifying. #Stunned

• Like 2

MAG Team Qualifiers 

-Russia

-China

-Japan

-USA

-GBR

-Brazil

-Netherlands

-Switzerland

Sam qualified for 4(!) EFs. He had a really great day. Hopefully he can keep it up during the rest of the competition. I also hope Russia can edge China out in TF because David B. deserves to have at least one gold Worlds medal <3. 

• Like 1

The floor is an absolute disaster. I think solid concrete has more bounce to it. I read that they got the equipment for free from an unknown brand manufacturer. You'd think at oh, I don't know, MAJOR competitions they'd have a standard brand they'd use to ensure quality. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

The floor is an absolute disaster. I think solid concrete has more bounce to it. I read that they got the equipment for free from an unknown brand manufacturer. You'd think at oh, I don't know, MAJOR competitions they'd have a standard brand they'd use to ensure quality. 

Well, as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for!"

38 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Who thought Doha was the ideal place to host Worlds?

They were the only ones to bid for this years Worlds, so they got it by default.

The Doha World Cups have lots of people at them. Tickets must have been really expensive? The horrible weather is keeping people from getting there?

I'm all for Team USA, but bars and beam judging today was an absolute sham. No way team USA has better execution than some of the girls who competed today and scored lower. Tragic. 

On a positive note, good job Canada! Our neighbors to the north are in fourth ahead of Japan. I was also glad to see Aliya. She's truly amazing. Got married, had a baby, and is back competing in such a short amount of time. Hers bars today were absolutely gorgeous. <3

• Like 1

Great competition so far, no injuries (I don't think?) and so many gymnasts performing to their potential. Loved Aliya casually throwing out a floor routine even though she's been focussing on beam and bars, she is such an icon. It was adorable to see Morgan Hurd in the audience fan-girling over her!

For the US, it was great to see Kara Eaker perform so solidly on beam, what a tough one-event to have to deliver on. She did great. Hurd was definitely on during qualifications, thrilled for her to qualify to floor and bars as well as AA. Although I also really like Riley so it was a shame to see her nerves get the better of her. She is lacking a bit of international experience, hopefully this was a good learning experience for her and she'll come back better next time - the judges clearly liked her execution it was really mistakes that kept her down. Biles, well there are no words really are there? She could even medal in UB which would be incredible although I would definitely prefer others in that final to make the podium (and Biles will have plenty of hardware to take home!).  

I love the floor final line-up, what a great mix of artistry and tumblers! I can't even decide who I want to end up on the podium the most...

• Like 1

Women's team final was one of the worst finals I have ever seen. No one was particularly good or noteworthy, except Aliya carrying the whole of the Russian team on her back with her bars routine. 

As for men's AA though, YES ARTUR! Take that VRod! Artur and Nikita were amazing today <3 <3 <3 <3 And it was a nail biter throughout! That's what I call a competition! 

Men's AA Result

1. Artur Datolyan

2. Xiao Ruoteng

3. Nikita Nagornyy 

Non-Worlds celebrity note:  Mary Lou Retton announced on Dancing with the Stars that she has gotten divorced. She and her husband, Shannon Kelly, have 4 daughters.  I think her daughter Mikayla is on the LSU gymnastics team. 

I haven’t watched the men’s AA yet, just looked up the results. So I guess Sam Mikulak did what he always does. I go back and forth from feeling bad for him to being annoyed by his inability to go clean when it counts.

• Like 3

Sam was in third place until the last rotation.  It's just really hard to watch.  He just can't get it done when it counts.

• Like 3

Sam doesn't have the mental part of this down. He never has, and I'm starting to think he never will. He had this one all teed up, and he missed the swing--on one of his stronger events, no less. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes, according to the posted scores, Mai finished second with 55.798 and Morgan finished third with 56.732 (fourth and fifth place were even closer: 55.699 vs 55.698).

55.732 for Morgan

Dear commentators. It is actually possible to mention that Morgan and Mai are defending World Champions without adding the caveat that Simone wasn’t competing that year. 

We get it, Simone would have likely beaten them if she’d competed.  But she didn’t.  They did and they earned their medals, and I don’t like the implied question mark as if Morgan and Mai only got their golds by default. 

• Like 10

Sam finishes out of the medals in the first two event finals he is in again.  Sigh.  This is so hard to watch.

That said, congratulations to the guys who medaled!  Also, Simone is amazing.  

• Like 2

A note to the camera people at this year's world championships: STOP MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND! YOU ARE MAKING THE VIEWERS NAUSEOUS!

It was really most egregious on parallel bars. That damn camera never. stopped. moving!!!

• Like 3

Yay for Sam for finally getting that monkey off his back! His PBars was great too, others were just better.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ombelico said:

A note to the camera people at this year's world championships: STOP MOVING THE CAMERA AROUND! YOU ARE MAKING THE VIEWERS NAUSEOUS!

It was really most egregious on parallel bars. That damn camera never. stopped. moving!!!

I think the NBC crew has mentioned that they're stuck with the global video pool feed instead of using a NBC film crew. And the Qataris and FIG definitely hired on the cheap when it came to AV services for the event, just like they seem to have low bid an all the apparatus. 

• Like 2

During a couple of skating events NBC showed last season either on their man channel or the sports one there were cases of camera movement like that. It was kind of worse then just the camera work because during exhibition performances there were flashing lights and etc....

Great job, Sam!  He did really well in the Pommel Horse and Parallel Bars, too - others just did better.  Here's hoping that this will allow him to steady his nerves and compete up to his standard in non-USA events going forward.

SO great to see Epke Zonderland and Kohei Uchimura bring it in that final event.  What awesome gymnastics.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, selkie said:

I think the NBC crew has mentioned that they're stuck with the global video pool feed instead of using a NBC film crew. And the Qataris and FIG definitely hired on the cheap when it came to AV services for the event, just like they seem to have low bid an all the apparatus. 

One of the floor exercises had a camera angle that was on a slant and then slowly almost came level, like a bad Batman episode. Who were the people in the stands they kept cutting to? There was never a consistent shot selection for any apparatus. A mess. 

What is with the rule no one can warmup on the apparatus? That seems like asking for crashes. Also, when the coaches stand ready, looking like they’ll catch someone on the bars - is that really why they are there? Have they ever caught someone? It’s been too long since I followed the sport but that seems odd to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ML89 said:

One of the floor exercises had a camera angle that was on a slant and then slowly almost came level, like a bad Batman episode. Who were the people in the stands they kept cutting to? There was never a consistent shot selection for any apparatus. A mess. 

What is with the rule no one can warmup on the apparatus? That seems like asking for crashes. Also, when the coaches stand ready, looking like they’ll catch someone on the bars - is that really why they are there? Have they ever caught someone? It’s been too long since I followed the sport but that seems odd to me. 

I've seen videos on youtube where the coach or spotter has broken the gymnast's fall.  Never seen it in competition, but yes, that's what they're there for.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I've seen videos on youtube where the coach or spotter has broken the gymnast's fall.  Never seen it in competition, but yes, that's what they're there for.  

Sounds like an even worse crash - hey, let's take out my coach on the way down....  I knew that had to be it but thanks for the confirmation and adding the detail I was going to ask next...if anyone had in competition. Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ML89 said:

Also, when the coaches stand ready, looking like they’ll catch someone on the bars - is that really why they are there? Have they ever caught someone? It’s been too long since I followed the sport but that seems odd to me. 

Yeah. It's rare, but they are there to make the catch if possible. (ETA: sometimes, it seems like they are there to unofficially coach and indicate to a gymnast when to release. Some countries let them be too present on UB)

And here's one of Valeri Liukin catching Nastia:

Edited by MaKaM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MaKaM said:

Yeah. It's rare, but they are there to make the catch if possible. (ETA: sometimes, it seems like they are there to unofficially coach and indicate to a gymnast when to release. Some countries let them be too present on UB)

Thanks @MaKaM  for the videos - I won't doubt that again!

• Like 3

I know they won't change it. But I hate the tie breaker rule. Its so stupid of to get tied with someone but they get the medal or higher medal then you. What's the point then? Either do that or don't give them tying scores. And what's with not letting them warm up on the apparatus? How is it better for them to do a routine on something they've never been on before? 

• Like 2

Well, another Worlds is over! I really enjoyed the bits that I was able to see, highlights included Aliya still looking fab on bars, Lui TingTing finally winning a beam medal, Morgan winning silver on floor (I just love her expression and theatricality!), Alexa Moreno winning the first ever medal for Mexico, Simone debuting her new vault (could she end up with elements named on all four events!?), Mai finally getting her AA medal, and most importantly - no injuries!

The US team looks so strong, obviously with Simone they have an incredible buffer but this was a really nicely balanced team where everyone had something to contribute. Kara did so well on beam in team finals, she is exquisite on that apparatus. And Riley rebounded so well from the disappointment of not making AA finals, this will have been a great experience for her going forward. Grace was rock steady and Morgan did a fab job leading off on each event to set the tone. Will be really interesting to see which of them are still contenders for Tokyo 2020.

• Like 1

You can tell Simone has awesome mental strength. She said in an interview and on Twitter  she's tired of people setting expectations for her. The media is awful. She's happy with her performance but disappointed too. She won 6 medals. What's with fans and the media saying that's sad?

• Like 3