Jump to content
SophiaD

Gymnastics

Recommended Posts

Simone is just really awesome. There's nothing she can't do. Its just so much fun watching her doing the difficult stuff and making them look so easy.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

That video link reminds me - Simone's leotard... wow, those fluoro yellow flames hurt my eyes!

European Championships were this past weekend. A weakened field due to injury but there were some fabulous results for smaller programs - France and Netherlands getting the silver and bronze in the team event, Hungary winning vault (the video of Devai and her coach celebrating is very cute!), Adelberg from Sweden getting a silver on bars, and France, Belgium and the Netherlands picking up several medals in the event finals. 

Russia easily won the team title - of note this was Irina Alexeeva's first competition for her birth country (she trained at WOGA and was trying to get US citizenship to represent the US but was never able to). She is a great addition to the Russian team, very steady and consistent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Although I think she could definitely upgrade the difficulty of her tumbling, I enjoyed her routine a lot more than most of the other FX we see these days where everyone is doing the exact same elements for bonus points and the "dance" sections between tumbling passes with absolutely no feeling or fun at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my God, I FLOVE this floor exercise!

I watched most of Euros but not the floor final--I understand she took the bronze. Fantastic choreography!

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Kyla Ross and Madison Kocian have been added to the Nassar list. 

I hope this man lives a long time and suffers every single day. Have we hit 300 yet? It has to be closing in at this point. Fucking monster. 

I knew it wasn’t likely that Kyla escaped abuse, as he went after her teammates with no repercussions, but I’m sorry to be right. Same for Madison. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

It's absolutely sickening what those young women and girls went through.  My heart breaks for them all.

I'm watching the USA Men's Competition right now, and Sam Mikulak has to be one of the most frustrating athletes I've ever seen.  He's like the Sasha Cohen of men's gymnastics.  He has these crazy good skills, but he has the weirdest mental lapses on easy elements.  I almost wish he would retire, because it's so nerve-wracking to watch him.  Speaking of figure skaters, it was nice to see Nancy Kerrigan in the stands.  She looks amazing.

Akash Modi is delightful.  

Allan Bower also just had a really odd mental lapse.  I hope this isn't a thing.

Yul Moldauer isn't doing all that well, either.  

It's going to be really interesting to see who manages to put together a decent Night 2.  I'm looking forward to seeing Simone tomorrow.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I hope this man lives a long time and suffers every single day. Have we hit 300 yet? It has to be closing in at this point. Fucking monster. 

I knew it wasn’t likely that Kyla escaped abuse, as he went after her teammates with no repercussions, but I’m sorry to be right. Same for Madison. 

Ashton Locklear and Morgan White were added to the list a few weeks ago when they both attended the Senate hearing.

If you want to watch day 1 for the Juniors.  I believe the Senior competition will air on The Olympic channel and not NBC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dude. YUL. YOUR HAIR. Do you have to go THAT over the top? Mike D and the Situation would be embarrassed to rock that look on the Jersey Shore!

Share this post


Link to post

I saw an interview on cbs and I did not like how the UCLA coach seemed to wave off any responsibility of the Karolyis.  Even if they didn’t know (and I think they knew something. I suspect they know where all the bodies are buried), they didn’t care.  Medals > Kids being safe.  

I’d rather have the USA team win zero medals and come home happy than win golds and be abused and terrorized into performing well.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Random note,  but it looks like Terry Gannon has permanently replaced Al Trautwig as the play-by-play announcer.  I didn’t hate Al to the extent that others did,  but I really like Terry with figure skating.  Interested to see how he does here. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tanyak said:

Random note,  but it looks like Terry Gannon has permanently replaced Al Trautwig as the play-by-play announcer.  I didn’t hate Al to the extent that others did,  but I really like Terry with figure skating.  Interested to see how he does here. 

The really cool thing about Terry is that he does his homework and really listens to what the pros tell him as they do the play-by-play for figure skating.  Whenever I watched him with Peggy Fleming and Dick Button, I'd always forget that he doesn't have a skating background (his competitive sport was college basketball until his coach told him he'd be better off going into broadcasting).  I think he'll do very well with gymnastics if he keeps up his habit of studying, listening, and asking the right questions of the experts around him.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The really cool thing about Terry is that he does his homework and really listens to what the pros tell him as they do the play-by-play for figure skating.  Whenever I watched him with Peggy Fleming and Dick Button, I'd always forget that he doesn't have a skating background (his competitive sport was college basketball until his coach told him he'd be better off going into broadcasting).  I think he'll do very well with gymnastics if he keeps up his habit of studying, listening, and asking the right questions of the experts around him.

ITA. Terry is great. Not only does he do his homework, but he lacks the general air of contempt for gymnastics that Al has. And manages to not come across as an ass every time he opens his mouth. I hope he’s permanent. I still don’t love Tim, but Tim is so much more tolerable without Al. And Nastia seems much more comfortable too. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Simone is just amazing! She does harder skills when she doesn’t even need to!

I like Morgan Hurd too. I thought she got underscored on floor. I liked her routine a lot.

Poor Ragan. She is not healthy, and it is not fun to watch her when it looks like she could injure herself further at any moment. She is clearly incredibly tough.

Nastia kept talking about Riley’s beautiful lines, but I feel the opposite. The way she bends her wrists just destroys any graceful lines she would otherwise have. 

I second the Terry Gannon love! I was always annoyed by Al Trautwig, but I really started hating him after he tweeted that Simone’s parents aren’t her parents because she’s adopted. What a terrible thing to say.

Terry, Tim, and Nastia all had NBC polo shirts on. Just imagine if NBC did that in figure skating and tried to make Johnny and Tara wear polo shirts!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I don't understand why we have to have a non-expert calling the meet at all. It's like a law that you have to have this random white Sports Guy on the panel along with knowledgeable athletes who have become competent broadcasters. Nastia could handle this business as the leader.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Whenever I watched him with Peggy Fleming and Dick Button, I'd always forget that he doesn't have a skating background (his competitive sport was college basketball until his coach told him he'd be better off going into broadcasting).  I think he'll do very well with gymnastics if he keeps up his habit of studying, listening, and asking the right questions of the experts around him.

Right. Whenever I see anything on the 1983 N.C State basketball team (which won the NCAA tournament in dramatic fashion), he’ll pop up on the screen and I have to remind myself, “oh yeah, he was on that team.“

I agree about Ragan Smith.  I really don’t mean for this to sound like it might sound, but I wonder if part of that is just learning to flip with her new body.  Two years ago in the run-up to the Olympics, I absolutely refused to believe that she was 15 going on 16.  She was so incredibly young looking and had this tiny little girl’s body. Now, you can tell that she has definitely matured and looks her age.  I hope she’s able to stay healthy.

Edited by tanyak
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

So I hadn’t watched most of the men’s before for a long time  - Tim is the coach of Oklahoma? Do they ever say that or is like Tracy Wilson on skating?

Hearing Miculak hasn’t won an individual world or Olympic medal, I wonder if Terry was having Jeremy Abbot flashbacks. So enjoying hearing him on gymnastics.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ML89 said:

So I hadn’t watched most of the men’s before for a long time  - Tim is the coach of Oklahoma? Do they ever say that or is like Tracy Wilson on skating?

Hearing Miculak hasn’t won an individual world or Olympic medal, I wonder if Terry was having Jeremy Abbot flashbacks. So enjoying hearing him on gymnastics.

But the annoying thing is Jeremy Abbott does have an Olympic medal. The team won bronze in Sochi in spite of his abysmal short. Sometimes I get filled with rage thinking of skaters like Kurt Browning, Todd Eldridge, and Johnny Weir never getting an Olympic medal, yet Jeremy Abbott did. But I digress...

Back to gymnastics: good for Sam. He did earn it today. It is a little pitiful that it’s a HUGE DEAL when the national champion actually stays on his feet the whole meet. Now let’s see if he can actually do it internationally! 

I get frustrated watching the American men because they always have potential, but then    make weird mistakes. But I also love watching them because they are always so supportive of each other. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I get frustrated watching the American men because they always have potential, but then    make weird mistakes. But I also love watching them because they are always so supportive of each other. 

I love the men too and love MAG overall a lot more than WAG. You usually get 10 years to watch the men grow and change while the women are usually one (Olympics) and done. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It's so enjoyable watching and getting to know the new up and coming gymnasts, I am loving Morgan Hurd, Trinity Thomas and Shilese Jones. I really like McCusker on bars, she has a lovely swing.

Hurd's floor was my favourite, she really performs and sells it, and it also has a high degree of difficulty (although obviously nowhere near the insane tumbling that Carey and Biles have in their routines!). But overall while I can appreciate the incredible tumbling technique, I enjoyed watching Hurd the most.  I also suspect that she will be scored a little higher by the international judges who definitely reward the artistry and performance more than the US judges tend to.

Trinity has a lovely elegance to her work, it would be great to see her on the worlds team although she doesn't really have a standout event.

I must mention after the eyesore that was Classics, Simone's leotard on night 1 was divine! The black and gold suited her to perfection, I hope she wears it again some time. Also on point was Chiles on night 2, a Wonder Woman leotard, brilliant.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, cesstar said:

I must mention after the eyesore that was Classics, Simone's leotard on night 1 was divine! The black and gold suited her to perfection, I hope she wears it again some time. Also on point was Chiles on night 2, a Wonder Woman leotard, brilliant.

 Simone's teal uniform had a special meaning.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I’m sad that wolf turns don’t seem to be going anywhere. Nobody does them well.

I hope Simone and Morgan go 1-2 at Worlds. 

Jordan wins for that Wonder Woman leotard! 

I hope Ragan does not make the training camp. Let her just go home and rest that ankle until next year.

I wanted Grace McCallum to edge out Riley for the bronze. Mostly because Grace knows how to straighten her wrists and not hold her hands like claws, and Riley doesn’t. I think it just grates because she has a lot of ballet choreography in her floor routine, but she can’t even do what three year olds learn in ballet class which is how to hold your arms.

I’m confused by the new 4 person rule. Isn’t it that 2 event specialists can also qualify? So shouldn’t they be able to send 6 people, and just 4 for do the team event? Or is that just for the Olympics? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2018 at 7:24 AM, Indy said:

ITA. Terry is great. Not only does he do his homework, but he lacks the general air of contempt for gymnastics that Al has. And manages to not come across as an ass every time he opens his mouth. I hope he’s permanent. I still don’t love Tim, but Tim is so much more tolerable without Al. And Nastia seems much more comfortable too. 

LOVE Gannon. From our mouths to NBC's ears--please keep him!

 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, Jeddah said:

But the annoying thing is Jeremy Abbott does have an Olympic medal. The team won bronze in Sochi in spite of his abysmal short. Sometimes I get filled with rage thinking of skaters like Kurt Browning, Todd Eldridge, and Johnny Weir never getting an Olympic medal, yet Jeremy Abbott did. But I digress...

Back to gymnastics: good for Sam. He did earn it today. It is a little pitiful that it’s a HUGE DEAL when the national champion actually stays on his feet the whole meet. Now let’s see if he can actually do it internationally! 

I get frustrated watching the American men because they always have potential, but then    make weird mistakes. But I also love watching them because they are always so supportive of each other. 

He won't. He can but he won't, because that is American men's gymnastics in a nutshell right now. They qualify well, they airpunch like crazy afterward but they never actually deliver. It's maddening because they have the talent. If they were genuinely not able to medal, I wouldn't mind so much.

I absolutely loved Grace McCollum's zero-fucks-given face whenever she was preparing to go on. She was in beast mode for sure. I quite like her gymnastics. Thrilled that Riley has now had two strong meets in a row!

As they said, SImone is competing only against herself--and getting the highest bars score of all is fantastic!

Gutted for Ragan. She needs to rest and recuperate this season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Simone's easily my favorite. Its just so much fun to watch someone with that much power and energy, and someone to takes on harder and harder skills and nails them every time.  She looked awesome in the black and gold. I love the meaning of the teal. 

I kept waiting for Ragan to be as good as they claimed and she wasn't. I understand she was injured and hope she sits it out and lets herself heal. Its just not fun to watch someone injured trying to compete. I spent the whole time watching her hoping she didn't end up injury herself more. 

I liked Jordan and Grace a lot. I wasn't a fan of Riley's.  But maybe she'll be better next time.

Is the Worlds the next competition or is there something before then?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've only watched Friday night's competition (still have to catch up on last night) but I won't lie, when I saw Simone compete, I said "holy shit" outloud to nobody in my living room.  It's the first time I've seen her since the Olympics (haven't watched any competitions, training videos or anything like that) and I know she just came back, but if she stays at this pace, imagine what she'll be like in 2020?  The amount of power in that young woman is amazing.

It was also my first time to paying attention to Morgan Hurd.  And I love her.  She has personality, her gymnastics is unique and for once I didn't feel like I was watching a floor exercise that had dance elements that were actually created for the music.  I haven't loved a gymnast like that in a while.  

Did they show Olivia Dunne on Sunday night?  I know she's young and relatively new to the senior team and not really on the NBC radar yet, but she's a local girl, so I'm curious to see her compete.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Jordan Chiles wins for that Wonder Woman leotard. I want it. NOW.

It was painful to watch Ragan compete. She needs to take the rest of the season off immediately.

There are no words to adequately describe Simone Biles. She is in a league of her own. Her only competition are the laws of physics. Loved that Black Panther-esque leotard from night one.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I get frustrated watching the American men because they always have potential, but then    make weird mistakes. But I also love watching them because they are always so supportive of each other. 

I'm not frustrated--I'm mad.  The US men are lazy and undisciplined.  THAT'S why they CHOKE.  Years ago, John Roethlisberger complained about the women getting all the publicity.  To paraphrase a famous Romanian coach, "Gentlemen, compete!"  

Quote

You usually get 10 years to watch the men grow and change while the women are usually one (Olympics) and done. 

Several of the US women HAVE competed in multiple Olympics -- Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Kathy Johnson, and the current Olympians.  You get 10 years to watch the men because the training is just as weak with the younger male gymnasts so they too are lazy and sloppy as compared to their talent.

Quote

Terry is great. Not only does he do his homework, but he lacks the general air of contempt for gymnastics that Al has. And manages to not come across as an ass every time he opens his mouth. I hope he’s permanent.

I agree with one caveat:  he's getting as bad as the other commentators in that he always inserts ANNOYING FACTS during the most dramatic parts of the routines.  This is especially true during the dramatic figure skating routines when he has to interject:  "Did you know his father is a truck driver in Gdansk and his mother was a champion high school tap dancer!"  He's getting worse, not better.

At the same time, when Dick Button was at his pompous worst, he could come back with a funny comment ... Button:  "His routine is reminiscent of the great Greek god Archimedes and his dance of the great wolves of the Macedonian era."  And Terry would say, "Remember, folks, you heard it here first." 

He is better than Trautwig, who was magnificent when he was doing the narration for a traditionally dull sport like cross-country skiing and could impart a sense of drama and excitement.  But his drama was out of place in skating and gymnastics which had enough drama already.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I’m sad that wolf turns don’t seem to be going anywhere. Nobody does them well.

I hope Simone and Morgan go 1-2 at Worlds. 

Jordan wins for that Wonder Woman leotard! 

I hope Ragan does not make the training camp. Let her just go home and rest that ankle until next year.

I wanted Grace McCallum to edge out Riley for the bronze. Mostly because Grace knows how to straighten her wrists and not hold her hands like claws, and Riley doesn’t. I think it just grates because she has a lot of ballet choreography in her floor routine, but she can’t even do what three year olds learn in ballet class which is how to hold your arms.

I’m confused by the new 4 person rule. Isn’t it that 2 event specialists can also qualify? So shouldn’t they be able to send 6 people, and just 4 for do the team event? Or is that just for the Olympics? 

This is a good explanation of qualifying for 2020.  I just wish they had gone back to 6 person teams!

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2018/06/11/2020-olympic-qualification-explained-but-like-actually/

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Simone's easily my favorite. Its just so much fun to watch someone with that much power and energy, and someone to takes on harder and harder skills and nails them every time.  She looked awesome in the black and gold. I love the meaning of the teal. 

I kept waiting for Ragan to be as good as they claimed and she wasn't. I understand she was injured and hope she sits it out and lets herself heal. Its just not fun to watch someone injured trying to compete. I spent the whole time watching her hoping she didn't end up injury herself more. 

I liked Jordan and Grace a lot. I wasn't a fan of Riley's.  But maybe she'll be better next time.

Is the Worlds the next competition or is there something before then?

I think we have the Pan Am Games before Worlds.  Not sure if a team has been named yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

This is a good explanation of qualifying for 2020.  I just wish they had gone back to 6 person teams!

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2018/06/11/2020-olympic-qualification-explained-but-like-actually/

I think we have the Pan Am Games before Worlds.  Not sure if a team has been named yet.

Pan Am Games is mid September.  The team has been named: Jade Carey, Kara Eaker, Shilese Jones, Grace McCallum, Trinity Thomas.  Alternate is Alyona Shchennikova.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Shangrilala said:

Did they show Olivia Dunne on Sunday night?  I know she's young and relatively new to the senior team and not really on the NBC radar yet, but she's a local girl, so I'm curious to see her compete.

I was watching the international feed and they showed her beam and maybe floor . She was obviously injured because her beam was watered down (just a layout dismount) and her feet were heavily strapped. 

28 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Pan Am Games is mid September.  The team has been named: Jade Carey, Kara Eaker, Shilese Jones, Grace McCallum, Trinity Thomas.  Alternate is Alyona Shchennikova.

Great team! Very excited for Shilese and Trinity to get some international experience. Grace looked very consistent at nationals, I wonder if she will get an alternate spot for the Worlds team?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thumbs up to Terry Gannon, thumbs up to NBC uploading the entire event on YouTube. 

Thumbs down for all those awful Terin Humphrey turns. Are they worth a ton of points or something? It’s like watching a zillion bad Beillmann spins in figure skating. 

Edited by healthnut · Reason: Misspelling
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I’m sad that wolf turns don’t seem to be going anywhere. Nobody does them well.

 

6 hours ago, healthnut said:

Thumbs down for all those awful Turin Humphrey turns. Are they worth a ton of points or something? It’s like watching a zillion bad Beillmann spins in figure skating. 

ITA - I think it's an ugly turn even when it's executed competently (which is almost never these days), but it's even worse to watch because everyone is so bad at them. At least when a Beillmann spin is done well, it can be very pretty. I can't say the same for the Wolf/Humphrey turn.

For your viewing (dis)pleasure (bonus points for the hilarious music choices by whoever made this video):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/20/2018 at 9:02 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

At the same time, when Dick Button was at his pompous worst, he could come back with a funny comment ... Button:  "His routine is reminiscent of the great Greek god Archimedes and his dance of the great wolves of the Macedonian era."  And Terry would say, "Remember, folks, you heard it here first." 

Dick: References a ballet "first performed in 1910"  Terry: Were you there? Dick: Yes, I was in the front row.   I'll be watching more gymnastics now (I'm sure Terry is happy he can stick with his polo shirts a la the first two days of golf coverage).

The Wolf turn video is great. They look awkward - yes, it's like the Bielmann spin and all those spiral variations where someone caught their foot too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Is the wolf turn a requirement? I've never seen it until recent years and almost none are perfect. One poor girl even fell on floors. Heck, even Simone bobbled it up on beams.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The wolf turn is an abomination. I don't understand the point of it. I've danced for several years at this point, and I cannot think of a dance related turn that is that close to the ground. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The wolf turn has only become popular in recent years because it is given a high level of difficulty (and thus, points) in the current Code of Points. If it were de-valued, the problem would solve itself as fewer gymnasts would feel compelled to do it. At minimum, though, there should be a rule prohibiting doing two of them in a row, like in McCusker's routine with the triple immediately followed by the double turn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.wlns.com/news/local-news/former-msu-gymnastics-coach-kathy-klages-charged-with-lying-to-investigators/1390735429

Klages was the gymnastics coach at MSU and multiple gymnasts testified that they had reported Nassar's actions to her but she refused to do anything, in some cases actively encouraging them not to go to police. Klages claimed to investigators that no concerns were ever raised with her. However she has now been charged with lying to investigators.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×