BizBuzz

What Concerts Have You Seen?

12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I "took" my mom to see Neil Diamond for her birthday last year. It was at the same venue we saw him at when I was a kid. I'm glad she finally took me up my offer to "take" her to a concert since he retired.

In 2018

I am attempting to get Elton John tickets on Friday - he's been on my 'to see' list for over a decade. I'll go alone if I have to

I'll be seeing Kenny Chesney at Mercedes Benz and maybe PHL and TN depending on friends. As much as I'd love to go back to Boston the issue of money and what a hot mess Gillette Stadium is making it a pass. But I can see him 3 times for less than 1 trip to Boston would cost.

I saw Neil once and it was great. But, I grew up with him and loved his music.  It was such a trip down memory lane, as it was a group of girlfriends who went.  

I'm excited for you regarding the Elton John concert.  I have seen in him concert many times, but, it's been a while ago.  It may be different now, that he's older.  But, I will tell you that there are just some performers who PUT IT ALL OUT there and Elton was one to do that.  He and Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones and a few more really pour their heart into their performances.  We stood in the rain and mud for one Elton show and he did not disappoint.  He saw what we went through and he really make the show special.  He sang and played his heart out.  His shows are worth every penny and more, imo.  

I hope you have a great time and it's as good as it used to be. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

RIP, Neil.

He's not dead! He just retired from touring due to his Parkinson's diagnosis. 

I really hope I can land Elton John tickets. I always wanted to see him in a head-to-head tour with Billy Joel but it wasn't meant to be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

He's not dead! He just retired from touring due to his Parkinson's diagnosis. 

I really hope I can land Elton John tickets. I always wanted to see him in a head-to-head tour with Billy Joel but it wasn't meant to be.

Sorry, my bad.

I am so bummed - the Elton John concert was sold out before it went on sale to the general public. I'll have to keep an eye on the resale sites as it gets closer and maybe I'll get lucky.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 10:13 AM, theredhead77 said:

I am so bummed - the Elton John concert was sold out before it went on sale to the general public. I'll have to keep an eye on the resale sites as it gets closer and maybe I'll get lucky.

Oh no, that's too bad. I hope you can find something.  It's probably really popular since he says this is his last tour for a while, right?

I'm not sure how much you want to invest in a ticket, but, I have used ticker brokers before and got great seats.  It is pricey, but, you can get great seats. To me, it was worth it to get in the first 3 rows.   I'd make sure the broker is reputable, though. 

Well, all I can say about the Robert Plant CARRY FIRE concert is that it was AWESOME!  What a night. It was this past Friday night and it was more than what I expected. I loved it.  I would have enjoyed more Zeppelin, but, I get why he didn't do more. Security was VERY intense.  I'm not sure if something happened or what, but, it was like I have never seen security before. But, that's ok, too.  I like to feel safe. I thought Robert was a little stoic, because, he's normally rather jovial.  Anyway.....I had perfect seats.  FRONT ROW CENTER. I mean.......thank the Lord.  I was blessed.  Some great friends around me!  Security told us point blank NO photos taken from front row, so, I had to step back to take any.  Thankfully, friends standing behind me, took some good ones for me.  

In second photo there are 2 heads.  I'm one on the let. My friend on the right. Third photo, that's my head too.  lol

And, I got the set list from the floor where Robert was standing.  It's in the photo too. 

IMG_1921[1].jpg

IMG_1926[1].jpg

IMG_1935[1].jpg

IMG_2025[1].jpg

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I can list every show I've been to, but I'll list some.

First show: Portraits of Past (an obscure 90s emo/hardcore band which reunited briefly in 2008. I don't listen to them anymore though.)

Most recent show: Exhorder (just over a week ago, and one of the best shows I've ever been to)

Favorite band/musician I've seen live: Down

Least favorite band/musician I've seen live: Gogol Bordello, the only show I've left early because it was so lame (sorry if you like them, it just wasn't my thing and there were too many kids on drugs in the audience)

Band/musician which I've seen most frequently: Slipknot and Lamb of God (seen both 2x)

Most popular band/musician I've seen live: Either Alice in Chains (with their newer lineup) or Slayer (I'm not really a fan of them though, my husband likes them)

Band/musician which I most regret not seeing: Soundgarden, I missed seeing them in 2014 because the tickets were really expensive, I waited for three years for them to come back to my area, and then...Chris Cornell died. I haven't really listened to them much since his death either because it is too sad.

Band/musician which only existed before I was old enough to see them, that I most wish I could see: Mother Love Bone, Alice in Chains with Layne Staley, Pantera, Nirvana, and Strapping Young Lad.

Band/musician which I most want to see in the future: Tripping Daisy (they reunited last year but didn't come to my area), Nine Inch Nails (who were also touring with Soundgarden in 2014 BTW), and David Byrne (I wanted to go to his latest tour but my area sold out really early!) I'm also debating whether to see Taylor Swift but I think the tickets will be super expensive, and I've also never seen a pop star live and I wonder if it might be kind of the same thing just to watch a video of it.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Like 1

I did not score Elton John tickets for September, but there's still plenty of time for more tickets to be released, or people to panic and sell their tickets for somewhat cheaper than they're trying to get now.  

However, I did score tickets to see Robert Plant in June - yay!!  And...Mavis Staples at the Kennedy Center in May - I'm totally psyched about that!!!!

Got me to thinking that a Plant-Staples show would be fabulous.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, ebk57 said:

I did not score Elton John tickets for September, but there's still plenty of time for more tickets to be released, or people to panic and sell their tickets for somewhat cheaper than they're trying to get now.  

However, I did score tickets to see Robert Plant in June - yay!!  And...Mavis Staples at the Kennedy Center in May - I'm totally psyched about that!!!!

Got me to thinking that a Plant-Staples show would be fabulous.

OMG! I'm so happy for you!  I've considered getting tickets and attending the Carry Fire show AGAIN, but, he's not coming back to NC, so, the nearest other place is VA....anyway, it would involve some work, but, I still might do it.  I'm going to check with a ticket broker and see how much it would cost.  A LOT, I'm sure. Still, it's worth it.  Every time, I wonder if it will be the last time he tours. 

I listened to Carry Fire cd before the show and it helped me appreciate it more.  It's a good album, imo.  

• Like 1

Just got home from seeing Mavis Staples at the Kennedy Center.  She's a national treasure, a force of nature and totally amazing!!

• Like 2

Tonight, I went to a new venue downtown, The Anthem.  The place is gorgeous and the parking situation isn't even too terrible.  I may go back.

Opening act was Cris Jacobs, a local guy from up the street in Baltimore.  Really good.  Some people around me said he plays a lot of local venues here, so I'll be on the lookout.  Then, there was Sturgill Simpson.  I love Sturgill.  First time I've seen him live and he's unbelievable.  Then, Willie Nelson.  What can you say about Willie that hasn't already been said.

The whole evening was spectacular!!

• Like 2

EBK57, did you see Robert Plant in June?  One of his big fans, that I met at the Raleigh show, saw him in VA.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

EBK57, did you see Robert Plant in June?  One of his big fans, that I met at the Raleigh show, saw him in VA.  

I did!  What a fantastic show.  The fiddle player from his band, Seth Lakeman, opened the show.  He's wonderful.  Then we had Sheryl Crow do a set.  She's...Sheryl.  Then Robert and the band.  Oh my.  A good mix of Zep and new songs.  Robert in find 'Plantation" form.  He's a funny guy.  And did I mention the Sensational Space Shifters are phenomenal?  Because they are.  Mr ebk kept saying that while driving home - "that band is phenomenal!"   A fine time was had by all!

Friday night, I'm going to see Foo Fighters!  Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I did!  What a fantastic show.  The fiddle player from his band, Seth Lakeman, opened the show.  He's wonderful.  Then we had Sheryl Crow do a set.  She's...Sheryl.  Then Robert and the band.  Oh my.  A good mix of Zep and new songs.  Robert in find 'Plantation" form.  He's a funny guy.  And did I mention the Sensational Space Shifters are phenomenal?  Because they are.  Mr ebk kept saying that while driving home - "that band is phenomenal!"   A fine time was had by all!

Friday night, I'm going to see Foo Fighters!  Looking forward to it. 

What venue did you see Robert?  Seth Lakeman opened for him in Raleigh too.  VERY awesome. That guy looks a lot younger than he is.  So personable.  I enjoyed him a lot.  We didn't get to see Sheryl Crow though. That's a nice plus.  I like her.  And I love the Sensational Space Shifters too!  Incredible musicians, every one. 

I'll look forward to seeing a review on the Foo Fighters. 

17 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What venue did you see Robert?  Seth Lakeman opened for him in Raleigh too.  VERY awesome. That guy looks a lot younger than he is.  So personable.  I enjoyed him a lot.  We didn't get to see Sheryl Crow though. That's a nice plus.  I like her.  And I love the Sensational Space Shifters too!  Incredible musicians, every one. 

I'll look forward to seeing a review on the Foo Fighters. 

Merriweather Post Pavilion between DC and Baltimore.  I like Sheryl, too, but not as much as Mr ebk does! :-)  Foo Fighters also at Merriweather.  I'll post a review. 

Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Merriweather Post Pavilion between DC and Baltimore.  I like Sheryl, too, but not as much as Mr ebk does! :-)  Foo Fighters also at Merriweather.  I'll post a review. 

Thanks for asking!

Oh, I see.  That's a great area.  My friend from the Raleigh show, saw him again on June 10 in Richmond, VA.  I considered going too, but, it didn't work out.  Now....it'll be on his next tour, before I see him again, but, I'm excited, because he seems to love Raleigh and I'll think he'll come back.  

I've heard the Foo Fighters are awesome. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

On 7/4/2018 at 1:21 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I've heard the Foo Fighters are awesome. 

Foo Fighters ARE awesome!!  I'd never seen them before and they put on a great, energetic 2 1/2 hour extravaganza.  All the hits, and a few songs off the newest album.  I must say I was glad I bought the $5 earplugs or I would have been completely deaf by the end of the show since my seat was right in line with one of the speaker towers.  I'd definitely see them again, and there's a good chance I'll have the opportunity since Dave is from the area. 

Completely shallow observations - Dave's hair is looking much better.  Nice and curly.  And, his favorite word seems to be "motherfucker" :-)

A fine time was had by all!

• Like 2

ebk57, that's great to hear about the Foo Fighters. Two and a half hours! OMG.  That's awesome. I'm not that familiar with their music, but, know they are very well respected. I saw Dave on a documentary about an historic recording studio (Sound City) and he really impressed me in that.  Have you seen it? It features a lot of top name artists.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

ebk57, that's great to hear about the Foo Fighters. Two and a half hours! OMG.  That's awesome. I'm not that familiar with their music, but, know they are very well respected. I saw Dave on a documentary about an historic recording studio (Sound City) and he really impressed me in that.  Have you seen it? It features a lot of top name artists.

I dd see Sound City - really interesting.  Dave and the Foos also did a series on HBO a couple (or so) years ago called Sonic Highways.  They went to 8 (I think) cities and hung out with local musicians, then wrote a song that was supposed to give you a feeling for the local music scene.  It was fun.  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 2:56 PM, theredhead77 said:

This show was last weekend and it did not disappoint. It was, by far, the best Kenny Chesney show I've ever been to.  I don't have the words to describe the vibe, the performance, or anything. It was just so amazing. Gilette Stadium, on the other hand, is a hot mess to get into and out of.

I cannot wait to see him there in 2018!

On 1/31/2018 at 8:52 PM, theredhead77 said:

I'll be seeing Kenny Chesney at Mercedes Benz and maybe PHL and TN depending on friends. As much as I'd love to go back to Boston the issue of money and what a hot mess Gillette Stadium is making it a pass. But I can see him 3 times for less than 1 trip to Boston would cost.

Kenny at Mercedes Benz was awesome! The sound is great if you sit low and our tickets came with [surprise] lounge access. Parking and driving around the venue is a mess, traffic control needs much improvement.

I also made it to his show in Nashville and I'd rate that just under Boston for best performances. Nissan Stadium is very close to the fun area too, we were able to walk from our hotel and back, very safe.

• Like 1

I love Kenny Chesney.  He was here in May, but, I couldn't attend. He is definitely on my shows to attend list. His shows look so fun!

And, speaking of my shows to attend list, at the TOP IS SIR PAUL McCARTNEY and I AM GOING IN MAY 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is starting his Freshen UP TOUR in RALEIGH, NC......JUST LIKE ROBERT PLANT DID THIS YEAR. I'm not sure why they both chose Raleigh to start the tour, but, i just love it.  I've never seen him before and so this will be so memorable. 

They opened up tickets on pre-sale for AMEX customers yesterday, so we got ours early. Regular sales go on Friday.  I'm super glad, because I think it will be a sell out. 

https://www.thepncarena.com/events/detail/paul-mccartney

Here are some other tour dates:

https://www.jambase.com/article/paul-mccartney-announces-freshen-up-tour-dates-in-us

• Like 3

On 2/2/2018 at 10:13 AM, theredhead77 said:

I made it!!!!! Found a [relatively speaking] inexpensive ticket at $200 for the nosebleeds and it was worth every penny.

• Like 1

I feel personally offended that Barenaked Ladies are opening for Hootie and the Blowfish and not the other way around. Darius Rucker has been doing the country thing for a while, so obviously Hootie et. al.  have not been touring.  BNL has been a band forever, were just inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, have been consistently touring, and are opening for them.  What fresh hell is that?! Plus tickets are stupidly expensive.  I haven't skipped a BNL tour since 1999, but I'm sitting this one out.  Bummer.

A recent conversation with a friend reminded me of two memorable concerts we went to back in the eighties. 

The first was Bob Dylan in a small college gym. This was back before strict security and premium seats, so we had folding chairs about fifteen feet away from Dylan who was performing on the gym floor, right in front of us. It was incredible. Like having someone play in your high school. Because that's essentially what it was.

We also had a great time at a concert by the punk band Black Flag. One particular song was a little slow for straight up headbanging, so the lead singer, Henry Rollins, was doing deep, fast bends at the waist. Up and down, up and down. It was a punk concert, so people were stage diving. My friend got on the stage and apparently Henry thought he got a bit to close so in perfect rhythm, Rollins comes out of his crouch and pops my friend in the jaw with a jab that sends him flying into the crowd. Rollins never missed a beat. It was so quick we all looked at each other "Did that just happen?"

• Like 3

On 7/10/2018 at 10:17 PM, ebk57 said:

Foo Fighters ARE awesome!!  I'd never seen them before and they put on a great, energetic 2 1/2 hour extravaganza.  All the hits, and a few songs off the newest album.  I must say I was glad I bought the $5 earplugs or I would have been completely deaf by the end of the show since my seat was right in line with one of the speaker towers.  I'd definitely see them again, and there's a good chance I'll have the opportunity since Dave is from the area. 

Completely shallow observations - Dave's hair is looking much better.  Nice and curly.  And, his favorite word seems to be "motherfucker" 🙂

A fine time was had by all!

I have seen the Foos twice. Once in 2008 and once last summer. Even 10 years later they still put on a hell of a show. Dave is 50 and the amount of energy he has is crazy. The most recent show was part of a festival but they still did a full set that they were doing every other night of their tour. A couple of highlights were like a 10 minute Taylor Hawkins drum solo where the drum kit was raised probably 20-30 feet in the air on a platform. Taylor also sang a version of Under Pressure where he sang the Bowie and the Freddy Mercury parts differently. The festival was also called Bluesfest and the band talked about how they never played a Blues festival or even a blues song before and then proceeded to like improvise a blues song.

• Like 1