Lisin

Dr. April Kepner: Ducky

I really like April, I know she's super annoying but I find it endears her to me. 

• Like 4

Any thoughts on April's transformation this season?

I like seeing April so self assured and confident as well as other characters acknowledging her abilities. I hope they can balance that with still keeping her personality and quirkiness in tact. 

• Like 3

I've been watching the reruns on Lifetime and I'm amazed at the disrespect that the other residents give April. She has the respect of the older characters/attendings, but Meredith, Alex and Christina treat her like she has no business being there. She was treated the same way this past season when she took over while Meredith was suspended. 

I just don't get the April hate. Are we supposed to hate her because the others do or should we root for her because she gets right back up after someone knocks her down. 

• Like 4

Back in season 6 it was a part of the "invader" mentality, although april got more crap than Jackson, and that attitude has carried over the years because they find her personality "annoying".

It bothered me even before I started to really like April and now she's my favorite character, which makes watching how the show and other characters completely disregard her really hard. 

It really bothers me as someone who relates to april as socially awkward at times to see how EVERYONE treats her. This includes Jackson and people that are supposedly her friends in Riggs and Arizona. 

Is april perfect? No. Are there things that irritate me to no end? Definitely! But april genuinely wants to just do her job and she gets shat on for it.

This is why the whole "civil war" was such BS considering all that it changed, which was absolutely nothing. April got completely ostracized for taking an *interim* position that she excelled in, that she is just as qualified IF NOT MORE QUALIFIED than Meredith Grey, and in the end nothing changed because of her taking that position. 

Think about it, what makes Meredith better or more qualified than her professionally? April has gotten zero breaks in her career unlike Meredith, little to no mentorship or guidence unlike Meredith, and did the same job just as well. 

But I am told constantly by this show that April Kepner is inferior to everyone else. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

Back in season 6 it was a part of the "invader" mentality, although april got more crap than Jackson, and that attitude has carried over the years because they find her personality "annoying".

It bothered me even before I started to really like April and now she's my favorite character, which makes watching how the show and other characters completely disregard her really hard. 

I haven't done a rewatch lately, so I may have some of the details wrong, but it seemed to me that April was pegged as "the annoying one" from the moment the Mercy Westers came over.  Unfortunately, the way the show did most of this was by showing how annoyed others were at her, not by actually making her annoying (like they did with Reed and the other guy...what was his name?).  That only goes so far....we can be told by other characters over and over again that April is annoying, but she actually seems like one of the more competent doctors in the hospital, despite being fired twice (once clearly unfairly, the other time was definitely a little shady).  Frankly, if I'm brought to GSMMWH in an emergency--which, God forbid because that is one crappy hospital--April is the doctor I want (and not just because she's one of the trauma doctors.  With my luck, they'd send me to the plastics guy, since everyone gets sent to the plastics guy...)

Like you, April is one of my favorites, although I am sick of the will-they-won't-they with Jackson.  She seems to be one of the few doctors there with a personal moral code, whether you agree with it or not, and that makes her interesting to me.

Think about it, what makes Meredith better or more qualified than her professionally? April has gotten zero breaks in her career unlike Meredith, little to no mentorship or guidence unlike Meredith, and did the same job just as well. 

I have thoughts about this, but it is more about Meredith than April, so I'm taking it over to her thread.

• Like 2

There was a media tour after JTS aired.  Most of the interviews were very similar (same questions, same answers) but this TV Guide interview offered a few additional tidbits.  Perhaps I'm reading into it a bit much, but it seems like the writers might be gearing up to re-visit and strengthen Catherine and April's mentor/ mentee relationship.  It also seems like the divorce, in some ways, facilitates this as the relationship is more professional than familial at this point.  It makes me think that if a Japril reunion is in the works, it's gonna be a long, slow road.  I think that they will develop the Catherine and April relationship first, show April continuing to evolve and grow professionally second, and April and Jackson figuring each other and their relationship out third.

That's if I read between the lines correctly and if the new showrunner continues to keep those ideas in mind going forward.

4 hours ago, moonorchid said:

It really bothers me as someone who relates to april as socially awkward at times to see how EVERYONE treats her. This includes Jackson and people that are supposedly her friends in Riggs and Arizona. 

Is april perfect? No. Are there things that irritate me to no end? Definitely! But april genuinely wants to just do her job and she gets shat on for it.

This is why the whole "civil war" was such BS considering all that it changed, which was absolutely nothing. April got completely ostracized for taking an *interim* position that she excelled in, that she is just as qualified IF NOT MORE QUALIFIED than Meredith Grey, and in the end nothing changed because of her taking that position. 

But I am told constantly by this show that April Kepner is inferior to everyone else. 

I think Jackson got by on his name and looks (the actor). The other characters probably wouldn't give him another thought if his last name wasn't Avery, and there are fans that will always take his side over other characters no matter how awful the character is because the actor is a pretty face. The male flavor of the moment usually gets favorable comments about how dreamy (no pun intended) he is and how the female character is awful. Had Jackson been shot and Charles had survived and became a regular character, he'd either be gone or someone that is seen every few episodes and he'd probably be considered as annoying as April. 

I like the character of April. I like how they wrote her faith and her conflicts. I hated how the others ridiculed her because of her virginity. I hated how they treated her this season when she took over Meredith's position. There was a reason why Meredith was suspended and had she not been suspended, April wouldn't have had to take her position (or someone else would have). 

• Like 2

Ive always like Kepner, I'm at the point where I just saw her sign the divorce papers, my heart went out to her I think Avery is a jerk for not trying to make it work, I also don't think he is as good a surgeon as Sloan despite how he acts, he will never be as good.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2014 at 11:28 AM, Lisin said:

I really like April, I know she's super annoying but I find it endears her to me. 

I feel the same way

• Like 1

In the Spoilers/Spec thread @moonorchid wrote:

I think April can carry a story as much as any other female on this show, but for some reason April consistently gets the short end of the stick. 

I agree with this.  April is written in a very specific way--she's capable and intelligent at her core, but she is presented as being childlike and naive.  Those two things just don't jive--which I think is why April is such a divisive character.  Right now, especially that she is essentially free from Jackson (or at least as free as she can be), the writers have a chance to actually expand her character and make her more well-rounded and believable.  

@flickers wrote:

I think April is too divisive a character to have a storyline on her own. They will always tie her to a more popular character, same as Jo.

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not.  The thing is, I can't remember April ever having a story line on her own--so I just don't know.  Sarah Drew is a strong actress and I think that these writers could write April a good solo story line.  Whether or not that could be pulled off--well, we'd have to see it to know.  Frankly I'd much rather they take a risk on April doing her own thing than, ahem, some of the other things they are currently putting time into.

@kinnej5 wrote:

As BaseOps said, April was involved with Matthew. She was also involved with Alex for a brief period, but had a melt-down when he wanted to have sex and she wanted to save herself, so Alex dumped her. At least, that's what I remember anyways. Could totally be wrong. :) But the point is, she wasn't only exclusively involved with Jackson during her time on the series, just like Jackson wasn't exclusively involved with April. He had been with Lexie and Stephanie at one point or another as well.

Yes, April was with Matthew,  but that whole "relationship" was a reaction to Jackson and, truth be told, Jackson was just as much a part of it as April and Matthew were.  As far as Alex, what I remember is that he came onto her at a party and then she freaked and someone--hmmm, who was that again?--intervened and put a stop to it.  I would hardly call that "being involved."  (The alternate universe episode where Alex was engaged to Meredith but cheated on her with April doesn't count...)

The thing is that it has been, almost from the beginning (at least from the point when they decided which Mercy Westers they were going to keep), "Jackson and April."  I think we need to have "Jackson" and "April" at least for a while.  Heck, at this point, I'd be happy with just April.

• Like 3

Between the two Krista obviously is having more fun writing Jackson just seeing what Jackson has been given since the premiere. Whether it’s a good look for him or not is debatable but he has as much story going for him this year than any other season he’s been on. 

While april has been used as a sidekick and comic relief since she moved out of Jackson’s apartment. It’s unfortunate.

• Like 4

@OtterMommy Wasn't there another interaction between April and Alex, where they were about to have sex and April loses her shit because she wants to save herself for marriage, and this causes Alex to get angry and dump her? Maybe that was just a casual hook-up (for Alex, at least) but it still means April was involved with him.

I would love to see April get storylines of her own. I want to see her struggles as a single mother, perhaps some interaction with Catherine. I'm sure Catherine can relate, even if the father of April's baby is her son. Something, any good material with April instead of what we're getting with Jaggie shoved down our throats.

April has always been eccentric and wacky, but there's always been one small part of her I've loved that's evolved over the season. She went from ugly, awkward duckling to beautiful, composed swan. But the writers are just dragging her through the mud, making her look dumb or bad just to benefit the Jaggie relationship they keep trying (inappropriately) shove down our throats.

They really need to get their shit together. I never thought I'd say this, but I want Shonda back to writing episodes instead of this Krista chick.

That is my rant of the evening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

@OtterMommy Wasn't there another interaction between April and Alex, where they were about to have sex and April loses her shit because she wants to save herself for marriage, and this causes Alex to get angry and dump her? Maybe that was just a casual hook-up (for Alex, at least) but it still means April was involved with him.

As far as I remember, there were 2 April/Alex "connections."  The first was at a party where Alex came onto her and, at first, she was sort of receptive and then backed off.  Alex didn't take it well and Jackson intervened.  Someone can correct me (because I'm not at all interested enough to go back and check it out), but that was pretty much it between April and Alex. 

The second, well, didn't really happen.  It was in the alternate episode where Ellis is still alive and married to Richard, and Meredith is engaged to Alex (who is chief resident).  April is Meredith's best friend (Cristina is her enemy) and then it comes out that Alex and April were having a thing behind Meredith's back.  Fun to watch--but it wasn't a part of Grey's reality.

29 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

As far as I remember, there were 2 April/Alex "connections."  The first was at a party where Alex came onto her and, at first, she was sort of receptive and then backed off.  Alex didn't take it well and Jackson intervened.  Someone can correct me (because I'm not at all interested enough to go back and check it out), but that was pretty much it between April and Alex. 

It went like this: April and Alex were getting frisky (in I think an oncall room) and he was a huge ass about her putting on the brakes. He took no for an answer but was still a big jerk about it. 

Then at a party at Meredith’s, she told Jackson so he confronted Alex and they got in a bit of a scuffle. 

• Like 2

Thanks kariyaki for getting to this before I did. It’s amazing what a little revisionist history does. April harbored a crush on Alex, they had a lot of cases together for a while and then Alex was upset, April followed him  to an on call room, they started kissing and for all intents and purposes april was going to sleep with him but all she asked was for Alex to slow down where he then proceeded to yell at her about if they are going to do this they need to do this and he isn’t gonna hold her freaking hand, then he stormed off...premo jerk that April didn’t deserve in the slightest. April bumps into Owen at the party at mers house and Jackson is there, April tells Jackson what happened and Jackson proceeds to beat the crap out of Alex when Alex wanted to talk to April to apologize. 

I hope april gets a decent storyline for herself in the back half and I’m hopeful cause the first eight episodes were very much about resetting the series to how Krista wants it. April has a lot of growth left in her and I hope to see this explored.

• Like 1

I seriously have to laugh at people bashing April. I almost feel sorry for any sub-human creature (I am probably going to get a warning for this, but I don't care) who think bashing a character they can't be fucked to understand for no reason. Yes, April flipped out on Jackson when they had sex. But she was saving herself for marriage, and probably (been years since I've seen this ep so correct me!) took her remorse at disobeying God out on Jackson. Yeah, April went off to Jordan, because she didn't know how to grieve for Samuel. I won't deny it was wrong. She should have stayed in Seattle and worked things out with Jackson, but again... probably feeling remorseful for religious reasons or something like that. April seems to be the sort of person that embarrasses easily, and won't let anyone else see her vulnerable.

So, yeah, is April the right woman for Jackson? Well, I mean, besides the nauseous sensation I feel whenever I see Jaggie "flirt" yes, I think April is the right woman for Jackson. They go so far back, probably met while they were still in med-schoool. I don't know how it works, when you are in your last year of med-school and you observe teaching hospital for your residency, or what. But they probably met at some point (remember JtM, they met their first day I think? But Meredith met Cristina, Alex, George, and Derek the day before she started her residency?) before working at Mercy West. Jackson laughed at her, sure, but he was always there for April. He was there when Reed was shot dead, when Alex yelled at her for not having sex with him (mentioned in previous posts on here), when she failed her boards, and so much more.

April has her flaws, yes. But so does Jackson. They're two imperfectly perfect flawed individuals who have been best friends for the better part of a decade, who stuck by the other's side through the good and bad. When it got too overwhelming with the loss of Samuel, April did what she could do to avoid humiliation. That was fleeing to Jordan. Unfortunately, the writers never address the loss of Samuel again after that, so who knows what would have happened with "Japril" had the writers treated the storyline more delicately. I suspect they had planned on it, but with Patrick Dempsey's sudden departure, the writers had to quickly come up with an alternate plot for the episode with that nine month jump. It would have been one year since Samuel's death, if April had not gone to Jordan, when they could have spoken about it. My guess is that the writers thought it was too late.

Sloppy writing does not give anyone excuse to stupidly bash April without good reason. It's not like Jackson is a saint himself. He was the one that barged in on April's wedding. If Jackson hadn't done that, then there's a very good chance April would be married to Matthew now and perhaps have a child or two with him. So "speak now or forever hold your peace" ; Jackson was the one that said "don't say I do" ; not April.

• Like 2