aquarian1

Favorite Foursomes

51 members have voted

1. 1. What Are Your Favorite ADA & Detective Combinations?

• Logan & Greevey, Stone & Robinette (S1)
    • Logan & Ceretta, Stone & Robinette (S2)
    • Logan & Briscoe, Stone & Robinette (S3)
    • Logan & Briscoe, Stone & Kincaide (S4)
    • Logan & Briscoe, McCoy & Kincaide (S5)
    • Curtis & Briscoe, McCoy & Kincaide (S6)
    • Curtis & Briscoe, McCoy & Ross (S7-8)
    • Curtis & Briscoe, McCoy & Carmichael (S9)
    • Green & Briscoe, McCoy & Carmichael (S10-11)
    • Green & Briscoe, McCoy & Southerlyn (S12-14)
    • Green & Fontana, McCoy & Southerlyn (S15)
    • Green & Fontana, McCoy & Borgia (S15-16)
    • Green & Cassidy, McCoy & Rubirosa (S17)
    • Green & Lupo, Cutter & Rubirosa (S18)
    • Bernard & Lupo, Cutter & Rubirosa (S18-20)

I think I got all the seasons right.

I have a hard time choosing.  I love the early years and I love the later years, but there's plenty of good pairings in the middle, too.

• Like 1

Yes, multiples are an option.  But I agree with limiting it to the top 3-5.  If one selects them all, then they aren't choosing.  We can't all be winners after all.  ;-)  That said, I have a feeling any Rey season will be low.

• Like 2

I can't believe someone actually liked the Brisco/Green.McCoy/Rohmbot foursome!

Maybe because they liked the first three, and it was unfortunate that Rohmbot came with that choice?*

*I really do wish David would enable smilies...since I'm an ignorant turd who doesn't know the symbols for sarcasm or rolling eyes, or sticking out tongue, and feel smilies would look better!

• Like 1

I wish I could Frankenstein together of my favorite pairs, so that I could have a Stone/Robinette/Bernard/Lupo foursome with an Adam Schiff and Anita Van Buren kicker.  That's my dream team right there.  

• Like 3

I wish I could Frankenstein together of my favorite pairs, so that I could have a Stone/Robinette/Bernard/Lupo foursome with an Adam Schiff and Anita Van Buren kicker.  That's my dream team right there.

Same here. I love Carmichael and I love Logan, but never the two shall meet. *sigh*

• Like 3

I added polls to the Favorite Pairs (for the Detectives) and Favorite DAs, etc threads so you can vote on them separately as well.  I think it's harder to pick a foursome just for the reason that you may love one  half of it and not the other.  I like the challenge.  ;-)

ETA: And I just realized I had mixed some actors names instead of character names.  (doh!)  I think it's because I most often hear "RhomBot" than Southerlyn.  I have updated the poll to be consistent.

• Like 2

I noticed "Rhom" was listed as opposed to Southerlyn, but every time I saw it it brought "Rhombot" to mind and it cracked me up, so I didn't say anything! Incidentally, I didn't find the Rhombot to be all that bad. Certainly not my favorite ADA, but generally inoffensive. She ain't no Abbie or Paul, though, or even Jamie.

Wow, nobody liked Fontana. The funny thing is, most people who didn't like him probably liked Dennis Farina in other things, but felt he just wasn't a good fit on this show.

• Like 2

Even a bit more ironic, or meta, is Dennis Farina being a real cop before turning to acting. He was great in Crime Story, though. I think some of Fontana's lack of popularity is that poor Mr. Farina had the unenviable task of trying to fill the late, great Jerry Orbach's shoes. And Briscoe's shoes were impossible to fill.

I think that timing plus a somewhat annoying character just added up to failure. I think any immediate "replacement" (for lack of a better term) after Lennie would have gone over like the Hindenburg, to be honest.

• Like 4

Even a bit more ironic, or meta, is Dennis Farina being a real cop before turning to acting. He was great in Crime Story, though. I think some of Fontana's lack of popularity is that poor Mr. Farina had the unenviable task of trying to fill the late, great Jerry Orbach's shoes. And Briscoe's shoes were impossible to fill.

I think that timing plus a somewhat annoying character just added up to failure. I think any immediate "replacement" (for lack of a better term) after Lennie would have gone over like the Hindenburg, to be honest.

I completely agree. Any actor following Jerry Orbach was doomed to failure. After he was gone, I could never enjoy the show as much without Lennie's presence.
  • Like 1

Wow, nobody liked Fontana. The funny thing is, most people who didn't like him probably liked Dennis Farina in other things, but felt he just wasn't a good fit on this show.

EXACTLY. I actually love Dennis Farina. Handsome in a gangster kind of way, great comic timing, seems like an all around good workhorse actor. BAD fit for this show. 

• Like 1

... I think some of Fontana's lack of popularity is that poor Mr. Farina had the unenviable task of trying to fill the late, great Jerry Orbach's shoes. And Briscoe's shoes were impossible to fill.

I completely agree. At the time I thought I had separated my feeling about Orbach/Briscoe and I just didn't like the Fontana character nor the stories that much.  However, when I've rewatched more recently I've enjoyed the episodes.  So I hadn't separated my feelings much, apparently.  But I think that was common for many fans watching the show, as you said.

ETA: I'm still surprised Green & Briscoe, McCoy & Carmichael is beating out the early years, even Logan & Briscoe, Stone & Robinette.  I thought it'd be closer.  Don't get me wrong, I like this combo too - Abby was one of my faves, but I know there is love for the early seasons, especially those 4 (L/B, S/R).

• Like 3

For me, I just thought Farina was miscast. I love him too, but he was all wrong.  And it wasn't because Lennie/Orbach was gone. Because although Orbach left the mothership, he'd signed on to appear on the short lived Trial By Jury, and I think he managed a few episodes, before he passed. So, Lennie wasn't really gone.

But then Green took time off to appear in Rent and Imperioli showed up as temporary replacement and I was like What The FUCK? Is it now Law & Order: Mafia Edition?

I'd pretty much stopped watching by this point and tuned back in when Detective Beauty Queen was cast. Which again, UGH.

• Like 3

Michael Imperioli bugged, but hey, he was part of the fabled Dick Wolf Casting Agency as, if I recall, he was on another Wolf show, New York Undercover as a guest star only, but apparently, his casting directors remain loyal. (But Imperioli didn't seem to gel here, I agree.)

Imperioli also appeared in a previous season as the limo driver who had murdered, or was part of murdering the model he was obsessed with and drove around. All cuz she was only nice to him because he could supply her with drugs.

• Like 1

The Final Foursome is my favourite. During the Stone years I could watch just his half. During the McCoy years just the police investigation.

• Like 2

@Chattygal, that wasn't unusual. L&O: CI added Alicia Witt to the S7 credits even though her character was a substitute partner substituting for Julianne Nicholson's character (partnered with Mike Logan), so it must have been the usual procedure of such credits in the franchise, seeing as their characters would be heavily featured.

• Like 2

I really liked the S10 combo of McCoy, Carmichal, Green, and Briscoe. I always feel like L&O would ebb and flow and that was one of the good streaks. The cases moved along, the cast clicked. Jack and Abby always had this awesome platonic chemistry that I actually liked better than the Jack and Claire days, and Briscoe and Green were a nice return to the Briscoe and Logan vibe with a new twist. I honestly didn't think the show hit a really good stride again until McCoy was promoted and you had the Cutter, Rubirosa, Green, Lupo days. I liked Bernard too. But the Sirena, Branch period were dark days.

I completely agree. Any actor following Jerry Orbach was doomed to failure. After he was gone, I could never enjoy the show as much without Lennie's presence.

I always thought they should have gone a completely different direction. Farina was almost to close to Briscoe in a way. I mean, I get they were very different, but both were sort of old school city boys of a similar age. With a character as beloved as Lenny you just don't want to invite comparison. The character might have worked after Lenny had been gone a couple of seasons, but not right after. I always thought it would have been a great time to try a female dectective. They only did that for 5 seconds with the ill thought out Dective Beauty Queen. An experienced female dectective paired with Green, who always had a bit of a player-player vibe, could have been interesting.

I always thought they should have gone a completely different direction. Farina was almost to close to Briscoe in a way. I mean, I get they were very different, but both were sort of old school city boys of a similar age. With a character as beloved as Lenny you just don't want to invite comparison. The character might have worked after Lenny had been gone a couple of seasons, but not right after. I always thought it would have been a great time to try a female dectective. They only did that for 5 seconds with the ill thought out Dective Beauty Queen. An experienced female dectective paired with Green, who always had a bit of a player-player vibe, could have been interesting.

I have said this before, but I honestly don't believe ANYONE really would have worked right after Lennie. It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Especially since Dennis Farina - who was great on Crime Story and was once a REAL cop - even tanked. I think Lennie was just so identified with the show that the only way to achieve success after him was time, not any actor, per se.

This was ridiculously hard! I ended up voting for S5's: Logan, Briscoe, McCoy and Kincaide. I think that's when I first fell in love with the show, and I still have such an attachment to that combination. In fact, in my own weird little head I'd thought that foursome was around for at least 2-3 seasons, not just one---they seemed to have left quite an impression on me :)

Curtis, Briscoe, McCoy and Kincaide gets the silver medal for me.(The obvious pattern here being that I'm a big Briscoe and McCoy/Kincaide plan irrespective of who else happens to be around!) Curtis wasn't nearly as vibrant a character as Logan, but I do like the interesting contrast between his personality and overall approach with Lennie's.

I had a little trouble warming up to Jamie Ross, but generally speaking I've really liked all the ADAs---yes, even Rohmbot :)   

On 7/12/2014 at 5:15 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can't believe someone actually liked the Brisco/Green.McCoy/Rohmbot foursome!

Maybe because they liked the first three, and it was unfortunate that Rohmbot came with that choice?*

*I really do wish David would enable smilies...since I'm an ignorant turd who doesn't know the symbols for sarcasm or rolling eyes, or sticking out tongue, and feel smilies would look better!

I actually voted for that combo. But only because none of my favorites match up. 

Logan and Green: check. 

Ross was my favorite ADA, but during her years, Curtis was the other detective. Bleh!

And I didn't like Elizabeth Rohm as an actress, but I liked Serena more than Abbie. Abbie Carmichael, Bleh! She thought she was hot shit because she was from Texas and sent people to Death Row on a regular basis. No humanity at all. 

Who are these people who voted for the Cassidy team?  She was awwwwwful.  You could tell Anita hated her. 

3 hours ago, topanga said:

And I didn't like Elizabeth Rohm as an actress, but I liked Serena more than Abbie. Abbie Carmichael, Bleh! She thought she was hot shit because she was from Texas and sent people to Death Row on a regular basis. No humanity at all. 

"Five children are dead, Nora, we can't just send him to bed without supper!" - School Daze

Maybe this is just proof that I'm mean-hearted, but there are cases/episodes where I could quite happily do without Serena's "humanity". Because I just know she would have been wringing her hands right along with Nora over the Semple kid, or over the kids in Teenaged Wasteland. I don't even hate Serena, or Nora come to that, but I do find their overactive social consciences tiresome and way too Pod!Paul like for my tastes. :-)

• Like 3

I think Abbie saved her compassion for the victims, and in fact if you watch her actions when she's working with victims, you see her compassion and gentleness with them.  The fact that someone has killed/injured/molested/raped/robbed someone else makes them pretty UNsymmpathetic in my book.   I have a lot of sympathy for their situations, UP TO THE POINT they victimize others.  And then my sympathy stops.  And I feel like Abbie was that way too. 

• Like 3

Hmm. I agree with both of you, Cobalt Stargazer and Ailianna. Maybe I don't like Angie Harmon's portrayal after all. Abbie always seemed cold to me, even when talking to victims. Claire was tough on perpetrators but still compassionate with victims. Jamie Ross was very much a victim's advocate, but she was still tough on crime.  And Ross challenged McCoy, which is the one thing I did like about Abbie Carmichael. But her character seemed self-righteous to me. Different from Curtis' self-righteousness, but Abbie always acted like she knew everything about the law and had absolutely nothing to learn from anyone, not from her co-workers or from ordinary citizens. 

ETA: McCoy had that same "I know everything" attitude, too. But it bothered me more coming from Abbie. Does that make me a misogynistic hypocrite with double standards? Hmm. Maybe.

Edited by topanga
  • Like 1