All Episodes Talk

I'm rewatching the show, and it really holds up. There's some solid storytelling, better than many live action shows. I wish they'd bring it back.

I remember when they switched it up to Unlimited and added all the new characters. I was annoyed at first, because I love the main heroes, but it worked.

Share Post

I rewatched some of it last year. It holds up really well just like B:TAS. I thought Unlimited had a number of strong episodes though I was less interested in some of the supes more than the others.

Edited the title to be All Episodes Discussion. If you want a witty addendum to it, let me or another mod know.

Share Post

I find that the better episodes in Unlimited were the ones that focused on, surprise, surprise! Our original 7! I think they changed it to Unlimited to just throw out every single DC hero that they could...all with the DC's permission, of course! I'm not too keen on Unlimited, because we saw a serious, and I mean a SERIOUS lack of not only Flash, but Jon'z too.

Like I care about that joker Booster or dude with the cowboy hat, and the knight, etc.

Share Post

Booster Gold, Hawk, Dove and Mr. Terrific were pretty much made of fail, but I liked Vigilante, Vixen and Captain Atom.

Share Post

The Question was oddly adorkable at times, especially when he told Huntress he liked her. And then never had a CLUE how relationships work. Huntress had the patience of a saint with that guy.

Share Post

Questions was good.  Wasn't a huge fan of Huntress.  I liked Wildcat and Black Canary ok.  

Share Post

Booster Gold, Hawk, Dove and Mr. Terrific were pretty much made of fail...

I disagree (this coming from a person who didn't even know these characters from the comics and only familiar with their JL/JLU versions).  Mr. Terrific we really didn't get to know all that well sine he replaced Manhunter as team organizer and didn't have much to do onscreen.  I liked Hawk & Dove's introduction and the bar fight scene (and having them voiced by former co-stars from The Wonder Years also worked well!) but the episode itself was lousy.  I would have liked to have seen them front and center again.  I loved Booster Gold and Skeets!  Best of all their VAs consistently voiced them through two incarnations!

I will also add to the Vigilante love.  I also wish we could have seen more of him and Shining Knight working together.  They were a team in the comics and it would have been fun to have seen them do more.

Edited by magicdog.

Share Post

I will also add to the Vigilante love.  I also wish we could have seen more of him and Shining Knight working together.  They were a team in the comics and it would have been fun to have seen them do more.

I think therein lies the problem. With the exception of a few, we only saw Vigilante and Shining Knight like only once where they were prominently showcased. As with others, just once, so I really didn't get a sense of who they were. And I wasn't a comic book reader, so most of them were ones I'd never heard of before.

Share Post

I don't think Shining Knight was prominently showcased at all.  I thought he was was of the seen but not heard characters except for a random line of dialogue by an uncredited VA in the Seven Soldiers of Victory tribute.

The plot of Hawk and Dove certainly didn't do anything to help my opinion of the characters.  It was like "hey, we've stunted casted these two guys, can you write something real quick for them to voice?"   I thought the whole peace vs. war angle in their characters was too heavy handed.

Share Post

Yeah, I'm on episode 7 of Unlimited, and I take it back. Booster Gold!? I must have blocked these episodes out. Hawk and Dove were terrible, Booster was so annoying. I don't understand why they dropped the main heroes for this.

Love the episode with the de-aged heroes. Green Lantern and his glasses was fun.

Share Post

I just did a two day marathon of watching the entire series because I've been suffering from the worst case of insomnia ever.  And I come away with a few things:

One, for all that Bruce Timm has said he's a purist, he did ignore it when he and his writers created the John Stewart and Shayera romance. Fine. BUT. What I didn't care for was how they made Hawkman into a jealous stalker.  I'm not totally versed in the history of Hawkman and Hawkgirl/Shayera, except what I've watched and what was revealed in Smallville's "Absolute Justice" which had Michael Shanks playing Carter Hall, and they had the story of he and Shayera being lovers/soulmates for eternity.  So me? Not happy that they did this with Carter, just to "show" (at least that's how it came off to me) that John and Shayera belonged together.

Another thing: the finale of the first season of JLU, "Epilogue."  I love 16 year old Terry; but I LOATHE 31 year old Terry. Asshole. Ungrateful punk. Even though I read somewhere that the black and white scenes of that  episode didn't actually happen but did go through Terry's mind. Give me a FUCKING BREAK, with the whining of how NONE of them, Dick, Tim, Barbara, himself, had a choice to be Robin, Batgirl or Batman. And to throw Selena's name in there? As if she wasn't a criminal? PUHLEAZE.  I vented my spleen on numerous occasions when talking about Babs in the Batman Beyond series about her revisionist history re her being on Bats' team. 

And even as Waller was telling Terry that she was the one who injected Terry's father with Bruce's DNA, I'm assuming it was just enough for the first child to be Bruce's, right? Because Terry has a younger brother. Maybe I'm overthinking (hey it was 4:00 in the morning when I was watching this episode) but wouldn't Terry's baby brother also be Bruce's child?

Going back to not going by canon, since they did the whole John and Shayera romance, I still don't understand why they dropped the ball with Bats and Diana! It's why "This Little Piggy", "Kids Stuff" and "Star-Crossed" remain among my favorite episodes. Ahhh, the potential! The POTENTIAL!!!!  And not for nuthin', but when the cast of this show reunited at NY Comiccon a month ago, Conroy and Eisenberg read that one line, which ended with Eisenberg singing "Am I Blue?" Which made my shipper heart go pitty pat. I don't know who wrote that script, but the crowd went wild, as did I. Because the tone in their voices and the way they read those lines? I was in shipper heaven.

Share Post

On 10/31/2015 at 7:34 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And even as Waller was telling Terry that she was the one who injected Terry's father with Bruce's DNA, I'm assuming it was just enough for the first child to be Bruce's, right? Because Terry has a younger brother. Maybe I'm overthinking (hey it was 4:00 in the morning when I was watching this episode) but wouldn't Terry's baby brother also be Bruce's child?

Timm himself stated that Terry's little brother, Matt was also Bruce's biological son.  In fact, at one point it was discussed that he'd be a robin of sorts to Terry.

Share Post

So I just finished rewatching JLU and I still get all ragey at "Epilogue."

At both real time Terry and the black and white one, even knowing those scenes were just in Terry's mind and didn't actually happen. Terry is such an ungrateful, revisionist history making punk. Bruce didn't manipulate any of the Robins into "the life" and as for Barbara-she donned that cape for her own reasons before joining up with BATS and per Batman Beyond, was just bitter because Bruce wouldn't give up being Batman. But the biggest LIE Terry told himself was that Bruce had anything to do with his sorry ass becoming Batman. Sure sure, it was Bruce who forced Terry to break into the mansion and bat cave so Terry could Steal the suit, right?????

And his refusal to believe that Bruce and his Batman did any good-scoffing at how he was there for Ace in the end-just to make himself look good.  Which is why I Fucking Cheered when Amanda disabused him of that notion!

And even though it was in his mind, just because he learned that his father wasn't his biological father didn't mean he wasn't his dad! Terry was a grownass man, and for him to let Bruce, who's around 95 at this point, to scrabble around for his pills and grab his chest and not help him? And walked away? ASSHOLE. He could still be angry at what he thought was Bruce's manipulation and still helped him back into his chair.

But once Amanda told him the truth (LOVE that he doesn't have Bruce's "magnificent brain"), everything is okay and he's not mad at Bruce, so now he'll help him with his meds and now is proud that he's stubborn like his "old man?" Get the fuck out of my face with that hypocrisy. Not that I was on Terry's side in any of this.

He'll always be a shadow of the real one since he relies on his suit to help him fly and get to where he needs to be. As opposed to Bruce, who is and always will be the real one because he used his mind, wits and body to get shit done.

I really have to wonder if Bruce Timm, who cowrote this episode, forgot the history and stories he was a part of in Batman Beyond?? I'm disappointed in him that he was a part of such crap-meaning this episode.

Share Post

2 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Funny. I loved that episode.

I like the episode itself--the animation is wonderful, and I love how this bookends, or was supposed to bookend the end of the whole universe, according to Timm. The whole thing started with B:TAS, and all the shows, up to JLU, the first season, came full circle, back to Bats in "Epilogue." They didn't think they would get another season, and then the network said, give us 13 more. 

But it's Terry's jackassery, hypocrisy, and lying to himself, and 'wah, wah, wah' self-pitying behavior that pisses me off and always makes me ragey, like I posted above. It's no secret that I'm Batman's BITCH. A really hardcore one for Kevin Conroy's Batman. And I get so sick and tired and weary of all those that left the heroing for whatever reasons, shitting upon Bruce and blaming him for "manipulating" them into doing it.

It's not as if I don't see his flaws; I do. I vented a spleen at what an utter, uber ASSHOLE Bats was in the final season; but again, I blame the writers, because the way he acted in "Old Wounds" was a HUGE RETCON of what Bruce/Batman was from the first three seasons and how they showed him to be. But, "draaaama" and "conflict!!!" and all that nonsense.

Share Post

So, I'm back to rewatching and am just finishing with "Comfort and Joy" and I can't believe that Babs would rather go skiing on Christmas, than spend it with her father, who she is very close to. Skiing during New Year's? Now that I can see. But not for Christmas.

The best parts were with Clark, Jonathan and Martha and J'onn, and Flash and Humanite. Just wonderful.

Though I will forever be bummed that we didn't see Bats/Bruce for Christmas.

Share Post

12 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Young Justice is also leaving.  I wonder if WB is preparing to pull them all to the new DC streaming service.

I know. I also posted in its thread.

Hmmm...you may be onto something there.

Share Post

I'm putting this here because we don't have a media thread, and even though it hasn't happened, we're one step closer!

YES!!!!! To a Justice League Reunion Movie!!!!

@Spartan Girl, @BkWurm1

And this quote by Diana, er, Susan Eisenberg had my inner tween squeeing like nobody's bidnez!

"Well, selfishly, I’d love to explore the relationship between Bruce and Diana a bit more, and I know there are some wonderbat fans out there who feel the same way," says Wonder Woman actress Susan Eisenberg."

Oh, me too! Me too!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule.

Share Post