S01.E13: WORLD'S BEST DAD 2014.06.21

Gibson finds himself on a mission orchestrated by Beth Ann’s kidnapper, who insists Gibson publicly confess to his crimes at a ceremony with the President and First Lady. Meanwhile, Ian receives a cryptic message that sends him and Amber on a dangerous mission. Elsewhere, Finley and Dunn attempt to stop a threat and stumble upon a shocking revelation.

Is the title supposed to be ironic? Because that's kind of how it feels to me. [/sarcasm]

Series FINALE!

Share Post

I may be the only person that didn't realize this, but the finale is tonight - Saturday - at 8.

(NBC puts a season finale on a Saturday night at 8 - they must really want this convoluted mess gone!  )

Share Post

I may be the only person that didn't realize this, but the finale is tonight - Saturday - at 8.

(NBC puts a season finale on a Saturday night at 8 - they must really want this convoluted mess gone!  )

Either way it was already cancelled, it was already a burn off, I can't imagine how low the ratings have been.  Oh well, it's just a day earlier.

Share Post

thank goodness this show is almost over and I can go back to watching educational programming (ha)

Share Post

Must be the time for burnoffs.  The Assets is back on for at least two episodes.

Share Post

Must be the time for burnoffs.  The Assets is back on for at least two episodes.

Yeah, it's the summer and all, I remember Do No Harm last year.

As for the ending, I just didn't care, I got sick and tired of his whining about 'protecting' his daughter bs.

Share Post

That was the most confusing mess of bad writing and huh? moments that I have seen since, oh, maybe, the 8pm showing.  Gillian Anderson goes out to the cabin in the dark, gets shot, and falls down into the snow in broad daylight.  Gibson's FBI handlers transfer him without handcuffs, allowing the whole escape scenario.  Finley and Dunn confront the two henchpeople, and talk to him for several minutes, all the while letting him hold his gun.  And every kid out there takes it upon themselves to act alone to get BethAnn back.  Don't trust the cops, kids; it will only end badly.  And it all seemed jammed together to create an ending with only the briefest of explanations to finish before the commercials. 

Share Post

That was the most confusing mess of bad writing and huh? moments that I have seen since, oh, maybe, the 8pm showing.  Gillian Anderson goes out to the cabin in the dark, gets shot, and falls down into the snow in broad daylight.  Gibson's FBI handlers transfer him without handcuffs, allowing the whole escape scenario.  Finley and Dunn confront the two henchpeople, and talk to him for several minutes, all the while letting him hold his gun.  And every kid out there takes it upon themselves to act alone to get BethAnn back.  Don't trust the cops, kids; it will only end badly.  And it all seemed jammed together to create an ending with only the briefest of explanations to finish before the commercials. 

Seriously, it's just incompetent stupid people doing stupid things and then other people backstabbing each other for stupid reasons.

Share Post

What made me laugh was the scene at the surplus store. The store owner was on the floor, unarmed. The children trained a gun to the store owner. Finley and Dunn, both federal law enforcement officers, entered the store and immediately pointed their gun to the unarmed store owner.

Share Post

What made me laugh was the scene at the surplus store. The store owner was on the floor, unarmed. The children trained a gun to the store owner. Finley and Dunn, both federal law enforcement officers, entered the store and immediately pointed their gun to the unarmed store owner.

No wonder it's so easy for Gibson with this much stupidity.

Share Post

I want those 13 hours of my life back.

What a waste.  The pilot hooked me, and with it only being 13 episodes, I had high hopes for a tight story.  But it quickly became a convoluted mess, and this finale was just ridiculous.  I can't believe the show wanted us to have, at least, conflicted feelings about Gibson.  He killed the First Lady!  And caused the deaths of however many people died during the blackout.  Not to mention shot a kid in the back and terrorized dozens of people, including his own daughter.  And they're really taking him out on "It's what fathers do"? 

I thought Meg knew Gibson was following her and was luring him to something, but, no, she's just as dumb as everyone else. 

There's no way I'm watching again to look - how did Meg get the page out of his notebook?  Did Gibson's henchman hold that page for insurance when he supposedly destroyed the notebook, and then Meg took it when she took Beth Ann? 

I wonder what the final text was going to be, and what next season's crisis would be, had this been picked up for a second season, since almost everyone who survived is going to prison.  Meg is going down not just for kidnapping and whatever she knew about the drug for the death squad, but if she's the one who bought Beth Ann from Gibson's people, then she's also the one that shot them.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Idk how they would do a Season 2 after they made Gibson into the most 'smartest' mastermind ever and everyone being completely brain dead.

Share Post

I'm convinced intern writers were used and each one was instructed to write a script  for the dumbest show regarding the most  ridiculous  premise they could think off.

Then another team of intern producers looked over the scripts and each one got to direct the one scene he  liked. Each producer could then assign each character a role in the scene he directed  without being privy to how the other directors has assigned that role in their scene.

Why else would they not show what happened to the head of the Secret Service, he is never shown in the finale  but talked about a lot. Why would they not show

how Beth Ann was kidnapped by the "redhead" and his honey ? Who did "the redhead" sell Beth Ann to?And of course who shot the redhead and Tahiti?  Who would've know this state police officer and the redhead was having a thing? And how could a state police officer get into a detail like this, have the only computer with everything needed to shut down the City. Send out,delete and add in data that nobody else could?

And what kind of diamonds did Amber buy for 500.00 dollars?  and why a army surplus store? who buys army surplus at 3 am, that it has to be opened 24 hours.

And then have Kyle look so cool after he found out not only did he kill the good secret service agent, but aided in killing his mother. After all he had been thorough, his last scene should have been him in a white jacket in a padded room.

And why wouldn't Amber's Mom show any  kind of emotion when  she was told "her" Amber had been banging the teacher.

And of course Gibson, after everything he did, it was all be cause he was a father?? What happened to kidnapping kids, killing people, killing kids, to show the secret service was bad? How did he end up, a crying,sniveling father, who held a gun to his daughter's head. And what kind of producer,directer,writer,wardrobe person, with a conscience dress Gibson.

I don't know. I am just kind of trying to understand why this show was not cancelled after the first commercial on the first night. I say Bravo to the agents who got these actors these roles. I imagine  they sat around after each scene was shot , laughing their asses off and taking bets as to had the dumbest line, in the dumbest scene. 

Share Post

Did we ever find out what "Tahiti's" motivation was?

Also, I can't have bee the only one to say, upon seeing the post-card "it's a magical place."

Share Post

One of the worst finales ever - what was NBC even thinking with this show?

Amber standing there with a mask on shouting "Taz him again".

The thing that has bugged me all throughout is that it didn't need to be so dreadfully convoluted. If Gibson wanted to kidnap Amber, he could have had someone grab her outside the ATM.   Done.  

Even initially - all he really needed was the video tape  and I believe he had that with the second or third parent. Once he had it, send copies to new media, upload to YouTube, watch it go viral.  Done.

I actually fell asleep right after Gillian Anderson was shot and Gibson's daughter confronted him.  So I read the recap on NBC.  Seriously, is this  really how it ended:

"When Dunn points out Meg will go to jail for kidnapping, she responds, "But you got him. You got Gibson." Finley reads Dunn the final task on Gibson's list, "My family reunites and I go home." Just then, Gibson's computer screen lights up and sends one final text..."

He sends out one final text?  That was it?

Share Post

I actually fell asleep right after Gillian Anderson was shot and Gibson's daughter confronted him.  So I read the recap on NBC.  Seriously, is this  really how it ended:

"When Dunn points out Meg will go to jail for kidnapping, she responds, "But you got him. You got Gibson." Finley reads Dunn the final task on Gibson's list, "My family reunites and I go home." Just then, Gibson's computer screen lights up and sends one final text..."

He sends out one final text?  That was it?

Seemingly filmed when there was a glimmer of hope for S2?

Share Post

Yeah, the idea from the beginning was this would be a self-contained season, with a small window at the end for future storylines should they wind up doing a second season.  I assume the final text was that window. 

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Did we ever find out what "Tahiti's" motivation was?

Also, I can't have bee the only one to say, upon seeing the post-card "it's a magical place."

Idk, the motivations were terrible.

As for the 'cliffhanger', I would've dropped it anyway as it was stupid and Idc about it enough to keep watching.  This is where it should've ended since Gibson is caught and the henchmen and woman are dead.

Share Post

As for the 'cliffhanger', I would've dropped it anyway as it was stupid and Idc about it enough to keep watching.  This is where it should've ended since Gibson is caught and the henchmen and woman are dead.

I would have dropped it too.  I stayed with it this season somehow thinking it would get better.   Wrong.

Share Post

How did two of the scrawniest kids in the class actually take a shotgun away from a much bigger man, across the counter? The mace, is that it? I doubt they keep that on the counter where a thief could grab it. Betcha that kid would more likely mace himself than his intended target, and even if not, that skinny kid would never in a million years be able to wrench anything away from the big guy behind the counter. And why did SHE end up with the gun, being further back than him? Nothing made sense. But we're used to that by now.

Share Post

Well, colour me stupid, because I feel like Tom Hanks in Big during that product development meeting with the lame skyscraper transformer toy – “I don’t get it.”

I thought Gibson’s motivation was to expose that soldiers were secretly drugged to become killing machines who then (mistakenly) killed innocent civilians. As mentioned above, since there was a video, there’s yer evidence, Gibson. Download it and send it off – done.

How does kidnapping a busload of kids connect, other than giving him power? Does he realize he’s as much of a terrorist as the people he is trying to expose? That he is as much a killer?

So what does any of this have to do with him being a father? Like parenthood is some kind of free pass to be a demented, self-serving, violent asshat to everyone else – all in the name of “I did it for my daughter!” It might be 1% acceptable if he didn’t actually terrorize and physically harm that daughter in the process. Ugh, so stupid.

And that final text? Since they knew weeks ago there would be no season two, why not just edit that out? It was the Crisis equivalent of Piper Laurie’s arm coming out of the ground at the end of Carrie – minus the suspense, fright or meaning.

And what is with TV set designers’ obsession with perfectly square holes? I assume they have never used a shovel (or sledgehammer, or axe, or…) and don’t know how holes work. You smash a concrete floor, you’re not going to get a perfect rectangle opening (just like digging a grave by hand is not going to yield a perfect coffin-shaped rectangular hole, but I digress). Even though Gibson had dug there before to bury the Secret Suitcase of Mystery and Terrorism, it’s still not going to have perfect right angles.  /rant over

I hate myself for watching this entire show.

Share Post

You smash a concrete floor, you’re not going to get a perfect rectangle opening (just like digging a grave by hand is not going to yield a perfect coffin-shaped rectangular hole, but I digress). Even though Gibson had dug there before to bury the Secret Suitcase of Mystery and Terrorism, it’s still not going to have perfect right angles.  /rant over

I laughed so hard at the scene.  It started when he broke through several inches of concrete with a couple of swings with a sledgehammer (wielded by someone recovering from a gunshot wound, mind you) and just got heartier when he suddenly had a perfect square.

Share Post

How does kidnapping a busload of kids connect, other than giving him power? Does he realize he’s as much of a terrorist as the people he is trying to expose? That he is as much a killer?

So what does any of this have to do with him being a father? Like parenthood is some kind of free pass to be a demented, self-serving, violent asshat to everyone else – all in the name of “I did it for my daughter!” It might be 1% acceptable if he didn’t actually terrorize and physically harm that daughter in the process. Ugh, so stupid.

Exactly, in fact it probably makes him even worse for taking it out on the kids and thentrying to whine about it.

He had her and other kids get kidnapped, undergo emotional/psychological/phsyical trauma, killed a kid begging for his life, almost killed another kid with the injection, etc. and then tried to go around and try to use his daughter.

Share Post

Thanks, guys.  I'm glad I checked here before watching.  I'm deleting this turkey unwatched as soon as I get home.  It's too hot right now to turn into an incoherent rage monster!

Share Post

I didn't know that they were broadcasting the last 2 shows on Saturday, so I missed them, and just watched them On Demand.  I'm not sure why I felt compelled to watch till the end.  I'm obviously a glutton for punishment, since it's seems likely that that show was written by chimps.

Share Post

Finally sat through the finale out of, I don't know, some sort of misplaced determination to clean off my plate.  But now I'm glad I did.  I actually laughed aloud at the scene where Bad Hair Daddy pulls out a fake tooth, opens it, and gasses two guys in a car to escape custody (while protecting himself from said gas by holding his hand over his fucking mouth).  You can't ask for schlock more stupid than this.  Bravo, writing chimps, bravo.

I also appreciated how they stayed with the ridiculous idiocy of Gibson's super-elaborate 'plan which anticipated all contingencies' right to the bitter end.  This, long after the plot point became so absurd it defeated any attempt to suspend disbelief, even after it required me to develop new powers of belief-suspension just to get this far.  So olympically bad and stupid that I'm actually a better, stronger person for having endured this show for a whole season - my thanks.  

Oh, and my lingering crush on Rachel Taylor that actually survived the Charlie's Angels reboot?  I am now free of it.  So thanks for that too.

Edited by henripootel.

Share Post

Wow!  It was worse than I thought possible.  They must have brought in armed security and forced the actors to be in those scenes and speak those lines!  Once the kids were out of the house, they should have ended the show exactly as Gibson said in the 2nd or 3rd episode:  "The President will give me a medal in the Rose Garden." 

Nothing in the final two hours made any sense.  A state trooper working a computer for the FBI?  The choopers flying toward a burning house that has no smoke coming out of it?  Killing the first lady without any purpose?  Buying diamonds for $500???  Sending kids to the army surplus store for no reason?  The entire kidnapping ending up to have no purpose at all???  The final page of Gibson's notebook magically appearing at a cabin in the woods!!!!!  Did Alice and White Rabbit leave it there??? 

The final episode should have ended in the tradition of Blazing Saddles.  The actors should looked at the camera, apologized to the audience, and then lined up every NBC exec they could find and beginning beating them with copies of that script!

Share Post