Jump to content

S.08 E.03 Part 2+ Married at Second Sight

31 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

JamieO is annoying but she doesn't deserve anything less than sincere sympathy for her loss.

No snark because real life is not reality TV.

What happened to Jamie?

1

Share Post


Link to post

Let's get a couple of things straight - Just because some people post about Luke seeming gay or seeming Jewish or narcissistic doesn't automatically mean that any of them are saying that being gay = bad or being Jewish = narcissistic.  I personally think this is basic reading comprehension and shouldn't have to be explained and clarified over and over again.  If no specific association is made verbally between any of these two things, please don't assume it's in the underlying intention.  The accusation that I would associate being Jewish with being narcissistic is extremely insulting to me as a person that is part Jewish and has Jewish family.  OK, rant over.

Edited by Yeah No. Reason: Spelling.
7

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I prefer to think he remembers her because she's gorgeous, even though she's not his type. Her hair is fine and her boobs don't seem so huge that she'd be remembered specifically for that. She would have been a great match for his speed dating guests. As an organizer, it would make sense to remember her and reach out to her. 

Sorry, but that's quite a bit of an overstatement.  You may think she's gorgeous; I don't.  Many men are not attracted to the big, bouffant-y hairdo, chubby-looking girls (or to be more PC, non-traditionally-athletic look), and lots of makeup.  And even if she were gorgeous, how could you know if she would be a great match for his speed dating events?  You are effectively reducing all men to stereotypes that personality doesn't matter at all, and it's all about looks, and a particular type of looks at that.

2

Share Post


Link to post

I think Kate is just lovely and any man would be proud to call her..his!

4

Share Post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think Kate is just lovely and any man would be proud to call her..his!

And I prefer to think that men can't be reduced to one generalization.  Just as I know that all women can't be reduced to one generalization.  (Look no farther than the debate over Jason Momoa!)

1

Share Post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I think Kate is just lovely and any man would be proud to call her..his!

Well, judging by the fact that she needed this show to get a mate and Luke's disinterest (for whatever reason) makes it pretty clear that the "any man" statement doesn't exactly work in her world.

5

Share Post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Well, judging by the fact that she needed this show to get a mate and Luke's disinterest (for whatever reason) makes it pretty clear that the "any man" statement doesn't exactly work in her world.

It could also be her personality that is a turn off. The way she talks drives me crazy - she sounds high to me. And then throw in the constant giggling. Blech. Maybe the giggles are a nervous reaction to this weird situation, but it would still be a turn off for me.

As far as her looks, I think she is conventionally pretty, but I do think she kind of has a double chin and is pretty top heavy, although that could just have been the horrible wedding dress I’m thinking about....

I think she is at least as pretty as the other three women who were selected; she just had the misfortune of being paired with someone who doesn’t find her attractive.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Another mismatch is Kristine who needed to be matched with a Dave, a devoted gym rat, rather than Keith who is bungeed to his couch and barely has enough muscles to keep him sitting upright...

Kristine will be driven mad by his slothfulness, his whining about needing to be cooked for and his all around low energy....seriously doubt he knows how to wash dishes....

 Guess who will be doing all the work between the sheets....you can refer to their tub scene....

 Stephanie may be happy to be married to Boisterous AJ but if she is used to dating introverts then it is a mistake to have him tag along work trips...

She may need the alone time to decompress from his continuous AJ Show...

Hopeful AJ will turn down his volume to a 6 instead of having it on 11, wearing down to a nub Stephanie's last nerve and blowing the sound man out of his headphones....

2

Share Post


Link to post
On 1/8/2019 at 11:23 PM, hoosiermom said:

Could be Luke couldn’t believe Kate didn’t remember him and he is pissed. (I have no doubt he thought that would be impossible since he thinks he is Gods gift to women.) 

 

On 1/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, qtpye said:

My take is that Luke’s delicate ego was bruisedwhen Kate had no memory of him whatsoever.

This is my opinion too.  

 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, Ilovepie said:

I see this being something more like Jon and Molly rather than Derek and Heather, where they are together for a while but pull the plug before the end maybe? I wish they would give people an out after the honeymoon (or maybe before: see Tristan and Mia) if it's apparent that it's just not going to work. There are so many couples that could have saved themselves the time and emotional baggage by bailing at that point. If they cared at all about these people, they wouldn't force them to stay together. But what am I saying - of course they don't care about these people (why am I watching this nonsense?!?)

But the whole premise of the show (remember when they constantly called it "the experiment"?) is that since they are married they will work together to get over those things which typically cause people to break up rather than giving the relationship a chance.  Which is why the experts should be flogged for their poor matchmaking - experiments don't work out if you don't do them correctly to begin with.

 

 

 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, configdotsys said:

Stephanie comes across as a forced smile type person and as much as she goes on about how much fun she is, I don't see her being able to deal with AJ's constant joking around. 

I LOLd when Stephanie informed him (I paraphrase):  "I'm fun too!  I have an app that lists all the beers I drink!"  Maybe she will enjoy a more boisterous partner and he will enjoy entertaining her.  I am rooting for them at this point :)

 

 

On 1/11/2019 at 3:30 AM, Yeah No said:

I think he will play the game of this show to look like he's determined to make it work, but only for appearance's sake.  I think he's probably under pressure from his family and friends to finally settle down.  I'm sure he's heard it all about how he meets so many women, why hasn't he met "the one" yet?  And he can't possibly look like a failure in that regard so he will defend his sincerity and commitment to the end even if he has zero feelings for Kate.  The secret to success is giving the appearance of success at all times - a favorite line from a favorite movie from 20 years ago.

I get the principle here, but how does acting like a boorish asshat = good PR for oneself?  He should discuss with Boston Ryan and Barf Bag Sean.  And they all should get tips from Basement, who did a pretty good job of fooling everyone until we read the spoilers thread :D

8

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

How is bringing up possible narcissism separately in a separate paragraph in the same post with saying his mother seemed Jewish to me offensive?  I in no way associated the two things in my post.  I think it's offensive to be perpetually associating things that have no relationship to each other in a post just to be offended, and you associated them not me.   I drew no relationship between the two and in that paragraph was just responding to the quote above my post about the possibility of Luke growing up in a strict religious home.  Meanwhile I did draw relationships between Luke's behavior and being narcissistic, not his ethnicity.  And BTW my father is half Jewish and I have Jewish great grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins so why on earth would I ever associate the two in my mind?  I even stated that I'm part Jewish just in case anyone might make any assumptions about my motives.  Please reread my post and the quote above it carefully and don't twist my words.

 

The problem is that it's an antisemitic stereotype to associate Jewish with narcissistic. I'm not saying that you (or anyone else here) were trying to make that association... But it's a stereotype that people can be very sensitive to.

...A false one, of course. I've known many Jewish people who are very loving and giving and are fabulous friends!

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady.
2

Share Post


Link to post

I know this is pathetic but giving more thought to the Luke situation, I think he hates that Kate totally forgot about him running it and she did not make a good impression at the event. She said her friend dragged her to it for company. I have never been to one but I think at the end all the participants mark off  who  they want to see again. Kate probably was not even trying to be charming because she knew there was a good chance she would be married at first sight and did not want to be there in the first place. Luke might also feel this is the gal no one wanted in his speed dating event, which would be stupid on his part.  He is never going to give Er a chance and she did not deserve this.

I also am curious about the episode where they talk about finances because I have doubts whether this guy has a job as a Civil Engineer.

5

Share Post


Link to post
On 1/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, Empress1 said:

One thing I thought was really great was when Will's sister told Jasmine, "You're going to have so much fun in this family!" That's exactly what I would want to hear from my in-laws.

Me too.  However, I wouldn't want to see them too much.  I mean, I think my family is "fun" too, but I wouldn't want them to eventually become pains in the ass to my SO.  

3

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Oh Geeze .. I had no idea she’s had so much trouble holding a baby.  Now I feel like a real shit for snarking on her.  I hope she carries full time her next time.  Heartbreaking.

I don't mind snarking on her; of course not for this, but she's still a fake, annoying, reality TV whore. However, her early life trials & pregnancy losses are very difficult things & I feel for her struggles. She should probably consider not announcing so early, but seems to crave attention for absolutely everything in her life. This may or may not be due to circumstances she has gone through, but it probably fills a need for her.

Again, I am very sorry for her losses though.

4

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Well, judging by the fact that she needed this show to get a mate and Luke's disinterest (for whatever reason) makes it pretty clear that the "any man" statement doesn't exactly work in her world.

The same can be said about anyone who goes on these shows though. Most people are their own worst enemies when it comes to dating and being unlucky in love. Not because they are necessarily terrible people but because they hold themselves back, try too hard, or find another way to sabotage themselves. In Kate's case the breakdown of her parents marriage seems to have deeply affected her and their marriage was probably in a difficult place for a long time even if no one acknowledged it before the split. 

2

Share Post


Link to post

I actually forgot about this show so got caught up watching episodes last night.  I didn’t see as many red flags as others with Luke although I did find him nervous and awkward.  The one big red flag for me is the fact that he runs a dating business and must meet a lot of single eligible women so it seems extraordinary that he would consider doing this to get a wife.  I suggested in another post that maybe he is here to promote his business, i just don’t know.  

2

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

The problem is that it's an antisemitic stereotype to associate Jewish with narcissistic. I'm not saying that you (or anyone else here) were trying to make that association... But it's a stereotype that people can be very sensitive to.

...A false one, of course. I've known many Jewish people who are very loving and giving and are fabulous friends!

I've never heard of that stereotype being associated with Jews, and I grew up in a solidly Jewish neighborhood in NYC and have lived around Jews all my life.  I wonder how I could have missed that given that I'm a pretty aware person.  I ran this by my husband who also grew up in that culture and he said  he's never heard of it either.  We've heard of other offensive stereotypes, just not that one.  Then again I don't make it a priority to collect offensive stereotypes.  I try not to focus on those things and I can't help it if other people read things into what I post that are not there.  

4

Share Post


Link to post
12 hours ago, princelina said:

I get the principle here, but how does acting like a boorish asshat = good PR for oneself?  He should discuss with Boston Ryan and Barf Bag Sean.  And they all should get tips from Basement, who did a pretty good job of fooling everyone until we read the spoilers thread :D

Haha, that's a good question.  It seems that the boorish asshats never see themselves that way.  They think they look great, meanwhile the rest of the world sees something very different.  You just reminded me of how many of them have been on this show over the years.  You'd think the so-called "experts" would be able to spot them by now, but nooooo.  I'm with those that say the show picks them deliberately for the drama.  If everyone was as normal as Ashley and Anthony we'd all fall asleep after 10 minutes, and they know it.  I just feel sorry for the people that get stuck with them.  I'm trying to think of the female equivalents and thought of Sam and Mia, only "boorish asshat" doesn't really describe them, and I can't think of any one term that would.

7

Share Post


Link to post

Boorish asshat kind of describes Sam.  Mia I would call a sweet humble felon.

4

Share Post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've never heard of that stereotype being associated with Jews, and I grew up in a solidly Jewish neighborhood in NYC and have lived around Jews all my life.  I wonder how I could have missed that given that I'm a pretty aware person.  I ran this by my husband who also grew up in that culture and he said  he's never heard of it either.  We've heard of other offensive stereotypes, just not that one.  Then again I don't make it a priority to collect offensive stereotypes.  I try not to focus on those things and I can't help it if other people read things into what I post that are not there.  

Don't worry about it. I think everyone understands now that you meant no offense.

1

Share Post


Link to post
10 hours ago, princelina said:

Boorish asshat kind of describes Sam.

True, but she at least had the self awareness to realize and admit to her bad behaviorand try to change.  I think the worst woman award goes to either Season 3 Ashley, Molly or Mia. And yes, I know David turned out to be a pig, but it doesn’t make her behavior any better to me....

4

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, princelina said:

Boorish asshat kind of describes Sam.  Mia I would call a sweet humble felon.

I can only assume you are joking?  Mia was neither sweet nor humble...she was a wolf of a different type, in sheep's clothing.

0

Share Post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I can only assume you are joking?  Mia was neither sweet nor humble...she was a wolf of a different type, in sheep's clothing.

You're right - my bad :D

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 1/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, Jack Sampson said:

Philly is huge and Luke's speed dating events probably reach fewer than 2-300 people.  It's more likely that production came to one of Luke's events and recruited everyone - at least gave out cards with the application website.  He might have remembered Kate because of her goofy hair or big boobs.  Kate didn't remember Luke because, other than organizing the event, he's unremarkable.

Kate herself said that even though Philly is technically a big city, it's more like a small town in some aspects, so she was not surprised to find out that she had crossed paths with Luke before. 

I've heard Philly described like that before. From what I've seen and heard of the city (I have friends in the area), it makes sense, especially if Kate was active on the singles scene.

2

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, discoprincessthe2 said:

Kate herself said that even though Philly is technically a big city, it's more like a small town in some aspects, so she was not surprised to find out that she had crossed paths with Luke before. 

I've heard Philly described like that before. From what I've seen and heard of the city (I have friends in the area), it makes sense, especially if Kate was active on the singles scene.

I grew up in Philly (as did my father's whole side of the family, as far back as I know of) and this is true. It's also pretty racially segregated, which can add to the small town feel of it (Kate and Luke may have seen each other before but I bet $5 Kate and Jasmine have not). I think Will said he lives in Mount Airy, which is famously integrated - it's the neighborhood I grew up in (my dad's family is mostly from northwest Philly - Germantown and Mount Airy). But a lot of Philly is very segregated and you have a lot of people who stick to their neighborhoods. I once met a woman who was maybe 65 and she had spent her entire life in South Philly, and she basically only left to go to work. Someone mentioned a restaurant in another neighborhood to her and she was like "I know of that neighborhood but I don't know how to get there."

I don't find it surprising that Kate and Luke crossed paths before - and as I said, it wouldn't surprise me if we see some "oh, I swiped left on him - shit!" meetings at the altar if this show keeps going. (Wouldn't have surprised me if Amber and Dave had seen each other on an app.)

3

Share Post


Link to post

Obviously, those of us who never lived in Philly just don't get it. 

I thought Philly was supposed to be the City of Brotherly Love? 

0

Share Post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Obviously, those of us who never lived in Philly just don't get it. 

I thought Philly was supposed to be the City of Brotherly Love? 

I mean, the country as a whole is pretty segregated. Boston is super segregated. I don't think the Boston couples would have known each other were it not for the show. I got that vibe from the guys in particular (though Jephte and Jon seemed to bond over mutual dislike of Ryan).

Really looking forward to seeing where this cast all lives and works. I've spent almost my whole life living in either Philly or NYC (and half my family is from one, the other half is from the other - urban northeast through and through over here) and you see NYC on TV and in movies all the time. Philly is far less common.

Edited by Empress1.
5

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I grew up in Philly (as did my father's whole side of the family, as far back as I know of) and this is true. It's also pretty racially segregated, which can add to the small town feel of it (Kate and Luke may have seen each other before but I bet $5 Kate and Jasmine have not). I think Will said he lives in Mount Airy, which is famously integrated - it's the neighborhood I grew up in (my dad's family is mostly from northwest Philly - Germantown and Mount Airy). But a lot of Philly is very segregated and you have a lot of people who stick to their neighborhoods. I once met a woman who was maybe 65 and she had spent her entire life in South Philly, and she basically only left to go to work. Someone mentioned a restaurant in another neighborhood to her and she was like "I know of that neighborhood but I don't know how to get there."

I don't find it surprising that Kate and Luke crossed paths before - and as I said, it wouldn't surprise me if we see some "oh, I swiped left on him - shit!" meetings at the altar if this show keeps going. (Wouldn't have surprised me if Amber and Dave had seen each other on an app.)

With Amber showing up as a blonde as opposed to her normal brunette, I thought it was just a matter of time that Dave DID know her from the gym. But I was denied that “oh shit”.

i think Luke had a great chance of knowing a lot of people at least by face just through his business. I think he is disappointed that Kate is, while pretty, generic when he likes exotic - whatever that means - women. And after doing his events he knows what is out there and he got what he didn’t want. I still can’t understand the match after hearing Cal say that they would work IF he found her attractive. Who does that? You don’t hook people up with folks you are HOPING they will find attractive, especially if the hook up is a legally binding marriage.

3

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

 

Really looking forward to seeing where this cast all lives and works. I've spent almost my whole life living in either Philly or NYC (and half my family is from one, the other half is from the other - urban northeast through and through over here) and you see NYC on TV and in movies all the time. Philly is far less common.

So this  is totally o/t but your post got me thinking about a long ago TLC show. Was wracking my brain and had to Google search but pretty sure it was A Dating Story. It ran for a few seasons, from around 1999 or 2000 on. This was when TLCs A Baby Story and A Wedding Story also aired. Well one season it was set in Philly. This native New Yorker has never been. We were coming back from checking out U of Delaware with our son. We took a wrong turn and did not realize it. Suddenly I realized we had gone a different direction and told my husband I thought we were in Philly. Sure enough we were. He asked how I knew and I said the city looked familiar to me from A Dating Story. 😄 This was way back in 2002 or so. Anybody remember that show? It's not listed on Wikipedia.

2

Share Post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

So this  is totally o/t but your post got me thinking about a long ago TLC show. Was wracking my brain and had to Google search but pretty sure it was A Dating Story. It ran for a few seasons, from around 1999 or 2000 on. This was when TLCs A Baby Story and A Wedding Story also aired. Well one season it was set in Philly. This native New Yorker has never been. We were coming back from checking out U of Delaware with our son. We took a wrong turn and did not realize it. Suddenly I realized we had gone a different direction and told my husband I thought we were in Philly. Sure enough we were. He asked how I knew and I said the city looked familiar to me from A Dating Story. 😄 This was way back in 2002 or so. Anybody remember that show? It's not listed on Wikipedia.

I  remember that show. TLC was so much better back then before it brought on all the giant family shows.

6

Share Post


Link to post
10 hours ago, scruffy73 said:

With Amber showing up as a blonde as opposed to her normal brunette, I thought it was just a matter of time that Dave DID know her from the gym. But I was denied that “oh shit”.

i think Luke had a great chance of knowing a lot of people at least by face just through his business. I think he is disappointed that Kate is, while pretty, generic when he likes exotic - whatever that means - women. And after doing his events he knows what is out there and he got what he didn’t want. I still can’t understand the match after hearing Cal say that they would work IF he found her attractive. Who does that? You don’t hook people up with folks you are HOPING they will find attractive, especially if the hook up is a legally binding marriage.

I was wondering about the timeline when Cal made that comment about Luke finding her attractive. If our suspicions are right about them taping that “argument” for four couples after the season had already started then is it possible Luke and Kate were already married when he said that and he already knew how Luke had reacted to her?

5

Share Post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I was wondering about the timeline when Cal made that comment about Luke finding her attractive. If our suspicions are right about them taping that “argument” for four couples after the season had already started then is it possible Luke and Kate were already married when he said that and he already knew how Luke had reacted to her?

Oh interesting! I wouldn’t put it past these people to retroactively rewrite the script to cover their asses for idiotic decision making. I think a monkey pointing at random people could do just as well as the “experts”......

8

Share Post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Obviously, those of us who never lived in Philly just don't get it. 

I thought Philly was supposed to be the City of Brotherly Love? 

 

16 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I mean, the country as a whole is pretty segregated. Boston is super segregated. I don't think the Boston couples would have known each other were it not for the show. I got that vibe from the guys in particular (though Jephte and Jon seemed to bond over mutual dislike of Ryan).

Really looking forward to seeing where this cast all lives and works. I've spent almost my whole life living in either Philly or NYC (and half my family is from one, the other half is from the other - urban northeast through and through over here) and you see NYC on TV and in movies all the time. Philly is far less common.

 

Yes, Philly is pretty segregated. Look at the demographics of say, South Philly vs. North Philly for example. Philadelphia magazine ran a controversial story that dealt with this type of issue a few years back.

Then you have those who claim "Philly" but technically live out in the suburbs, whether in Pennsylvania, South Jersey, or even in northern Delaware. (I wonder how many of this year's spouses live in the 'burbs. Side note: I also had read that AJ is a Philly transplant.)

 

On another note, the show Parking Wars featured the PPA (Philadelphia Parking Authority) for a few seasons. That was amusing (although not to those drivers who were ticketed or towed).

Edited by discoprincessthe2.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now