S01.E11: BEST LAID PLANS 2014.06.15

Finley is forced to go inside the mansion as part of a hostage exchange. In an effort to trick the world into believing he is innocent, Gibson takes extreme measures and sets his sight on a new target for his next parent mission. With Meg’s help, Gibson enacts a piece of his plan that will bring out the truth about the soldier program.

Share Post

The entire premise of this show is flawed. I think the viewer is supposed to sympathize with, and thus cheer for, Gibson, but I just can't. Two reasons:

- The point of this elaborate scheme (which, seriously, feels like those kids have been kidnapped for months, although I realize it's been what, a week?) is because he is pissed about soldiers being used as innocent pawns to kill other innocent people. And yet, that's exactly what he's doing - using those kids as innocent pawns and he's killing innocent people. 

- He's just so skeezy looking. I can't believe they made (or he devolved over the years) that cute actor look so hideous. Gross. 

Share Post

The entire premise of this show is flawed. I think the viewer is supposed to sympathize with, and thus cheer for, Gibson, but I just can't. Two reasons:

- The point of this elaborate scheme (which, seriously, feels like those kids have been kidnapped for months, although I realize it's been what, a week?) is because he is pissed about soldiers being used as innocent pawns to kill other innocent people. And yet, that's exactly what he's doing - using those kids as innocent pawns and he's killing innocent people. 

- He's just so skeezy looking. I can't believe they made (or he devolved over the years) that cute actor look so hideous. Gross. 

Exactly, he's taking his revenge on kids, including his own daughter.  His cheap wig certainly doesn't help, I guess they wanted a dorky look for him but it just doesn't work for him.

Share Post

Lord help me, I like this show even though I don't understand why.

Are we supposed to find Gibson sympathetic? I don't know, I've never talked to others who watch the show or visited other online sites about it. I just know that I don't. I can empathize with his frustration, his rage, his reasons for doing what he's doing, but he's ultimately wrong and doing horrible things and he should be punished for it. If his daughter doesn't ultimately know what he did and completely shut him down for it, I'll feel robbed. If he doesn't go to prison for it or die, I'll be pissed.

Mostly I'm in this show for Gillian Anderson. And, oddly enough, Finn and Susie have grown on me and now I'm rooting for them too. And the President's kid seems nice. Amber I still have no interest in.

Share Post

I can't even empathize with Gibson because he was a part of that death squad experiment.  Gibson was fine with it as long as the drugged and programmed soldiers were confining their atrocities to Iraq or Afghanistan or somewhere else far away; he lost faith in the death squad option only when Widener deployed them on US soil, so on top of everything else he's a giant hypocrite as well.  I think Widener is despicable and his actions are unconscionable, and Gibson is no better.  He's acting against innocent Americans too, minors in his case, and he's already shot a 16-year old in the back.  On top of that, 75 or so civilians are dead because of the cyberattack and not even one of his people blinked.  If they were shown to be appalled or have doubts, maybe I wouldn't hate them all so much.  The only one I get is Koz who's in it for the money.  Why is the communications tech there?  Why is she okay with a kid getting shot in the back?  There's probably more blood on Gibson's hands now than on Widener's.  I'm almost afraid to watch the series finale next weekend because, if Gibson isn't openly despised and dead at the end, I will turn into an incoherent rage monster.

One element I find really offensive about the show (and it is possible I'm misreading it) is that I'm not expected to feel empathy for the parents or the teenagers because they're from privileged backgrounds.  I don't care how rich those kids are, I want them all to survive and each take a kick at Gibson's corpse.  I like Kyle because the actor is giving a barely-drawn character his best efforts and Gibson turned him into a killer.  He should get the first kick.

The MVP of this show for me is Agent Finley.  The guy's been going full-steam on training and rage since episode one, and is still the only character I find is acting like a real person.  This has been a really horrible show.  You owe me, Max Martini, for making me watch this; it's worse than your terrible Australian accent on Pacific Rim.

Share Post

I agree with everything. And what a waste of Gillian Anderson.

One element I find really offensive about the show (and it is possible I'm misreading it) is that I'm not expected to feel empathy for the parents or the teenagers because they're from privileged backgrounds.

Interesting, and I think you're right. Regular people (like Gibson, and the viewers, I guess) are supposed to hate rich people even though most want to be one. Then they'll hate poor people. /TM-Rebecca from Cheers.

You know, because privileged people deserve a little hardship.

I have a bad feeling that Gibson is going to hailed as some sort of hero for "using extreme measures to bring extreme atrocities to our country's attention" or some such nonsense. And if they actually say that, I swear I am not spoiled. I mean, come on, who would waste time seeking out (or posting) spoilers about this crap?

Share Post

I agree with everything. And what a waste of Gillian Anderson.

Interesting, and I think you're right. Regular people (like Gibson, and the viewers, I guess) are supposed to hate rich people even though most want to be one. Then they'll hate poor people. /TM-Rebecca from Cheers.

You know, because privileged people deserve a little hardship.

I have a bad feeling that Gibson is going to hailed as some sort of hero for "using extreme measures to bring extreme atrocities to our country's attention" or some such nonsense. And if they actually say that, I swear I am not spoiled. I mean, come on, who would waste time seeking out (or posting) spoilers about this crap?

I really hope not but it doesn't matter since it already got cancelled, already got enough bad memories of the writers trying to make a villain sympathetic in hostages where it was full blown Stockholm Syndrome.

Share Post

One element I find really offensive about the show (and it is possible I'm misreading it) is that I'm not expected to feel empathy for the parents or the teenagers because they're from privileged backgrounds.

In the very first episode, the kids were already dividing themselves into social strata and insulting each other, even though they had just been through a horrendous kidnapping and murder scene.  That's what turned me off, although not quite against them.  I hope they survive, but it doesn't quite bother me that they get stepped on by the bad guys from time to time.  Color me cynical.  I did find Gibson's demand for Presidential pardons to be farcical, though highly amusing.  You were expecting to be able to go down to the Safeway Supermarket and do your shopping like everyone else?

Share Post

I did find Gibson's demand for Presidential pardons to be farcical, though highly amusing.

I believe that any directives a President signs under duress are not valid. You would think that Gibson would know this.

Share Post

I did find Gibson's demand for Presidential pardons to be farcical, though highly amusing.

I believe that any directives a President signs under duress are not valid. You would think that Gibson would know this.

That's because everyone else is completely dumbed down to make his ridiculousness seem like an 'evil genius' by comparison.

Share Post

Agreed on this being a waste of Gillian Anderson. In fact that's how i labelled this show when someone asked what it was like. I mean, she does her role very well, but its not much of a role. It would have been better to get an up and coming talent who could use the exposure and let Anderson find something more worthy. Oh well, now she can go back to being an underling bonking english detective in Ireland.

Share Post