Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

I'm just at the beginning of the Ice Princess storyline. Hutch is in the hospital recovering. I wish he had stuck around. Much hotter than Luke lol. And more charming.

Just saw Scorpio's first scene I think. He was waiting in Luke's apt with a gun.

I like Laura but she is often snotty and bitchy with her friends, like Claudia.

Amy Vining. What a thankless role. Why did they make this character so awful? I feel bad for the actress, can't believe she stuck with it so long.

Share Post

Ugh, back in the late 70s and early 80s, the show seemed to toy with being educational about / socially aware of things like acquaintance rape (Luke and Laura) and marital rape (Alan and Monica), in a time when those concepts weren't fully acknowledged.  But then, of course, the show decided to royally eff it up, instead.

This is from a couple months ago, but I just watched that Alan/Monica scene.  Disturbing.

I hate to say it, but Stuart Damon must have become a much better actor over his time on the show, because I don't think he's very good in that scene. I started watching in the '90s, so I only saw him in his "patriarch" phase and I always liked him. Or maybe that scene just isn't his best work.  

Anyway, a little Googling suggests to me this was 1979 or 1980? That seems to have been when the Alan/Monica/Rick triangle was in full swing. What strikes me is that this is exactly the same television period when JR maritally raped Sue Ellen on Dallas (that was how their son, John Ross, was conceived) and when Blake did so to Krystle on Dynasty. Those, like Alan/Monica, were long-running supercouples who had a lot of break-ups and reunions, and a lot of fans who wanted them to be together. I'm glad soap writers are not so willing to go there anymore, and I'm glad viewers see these scenes as upsetting now. Younger people watch those clips and can't believe the male characters remained sympathetic at all, or the couplings viable. For them, it would probably be a deal-breaker. Even the odious Sonny has never been written to force himself on a woman who was screaming "No."  

Share Post

I skimmed through a few 70s bodice rippers from my great aunt's house - disturbing doesn't even begin to cover it

Share Post

22 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I hate to say it, but Stuart Damon must have become a much better actor over his time on the show, because I don't think he's very good in that scene. 

Have you seen him as Prince Charming in 1965's Cinderella? Wooden is a good word.

(Interestingly Prince Charming in the 1957 version with Julie  Andrews was played by Jon Cypher who played Max Van Stadt on GH in 1981.)

Edited by statsgirl.

Share Post