Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

And then he got pissy about long-term viewers guessing his Bill Eckert story and gave Luke Not!DID instead

Edited by Oracle42.

Share Post

Although even that explanation for Levi doesn’t entirely make sense — at some point, Sean's henchmen turn on Peter and one keeps trying to kill him.  Felicia even gets him medical help when she finds him bleeding from stab wounds ... (which is how Tony gets shot in the head, for which Frisco blames Felicia for a time, but that’s a whole other thing).

Of course, I haven’t finished the story yet, but F and F are the least of Peter’s problems as of winter ‘85, is what I’m saying ...

Share Post

The problem with RonC was that he used historical facts from better eras ... but didn’t use it to create good stories. We got a lot of kidnapping and sadism and convoluted weirdness.  

Peter sucked as a character, and was mostly there to create some plot points ... but he was in a sweeping multi-character adventure and romance story that had some serious and darker elements.  The Levi stuff was just not even particularly interesting or part of a bigger, better story.  

Share Post

Yeah, Ron cherry-picked stuff and plopped them into stories he couldn't resolve otherwise, then patted himself on the back for using History!

Share Post

Felicia and Frisco flirt at Kelly's (every cute young couple had to wait on tables at Kelly's back in the day, apparently!).  More commentary on Robert's hacked-off hair - this time from the district attorney, LOL.    Ginny's lawyer has to explain to her that dressing like a glamorous diva at her murder trial is a bad idea.  

There are more than a few scenes where Sean is obviously attracted to Felicia ... then mentions that she's young enough to be his daughter or is like a daughter to him.  Eeeeeewwwwwwww.   

Share Post

I think Robert looks great there but i guess in the 80s that short people would have thought he might as well have shaved it off, heh.

Share Post

20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Like the later Ice Princess story, it had a pretty strong internal logic, something desperately lacking on the show today.

Do you mean the original Ice Princess story? Because that was in 1981, and the Aztec Treasure story in 1984.

Share Post

Oops, I do mean the original IP story. Thanks for the correction, @UYI. A lot of the big umbrella stories back then were pretty nutty when you looked at them objectively, but the writers did the work to give them a strong foundation, so at least what happened in the context of the stories made some sense. These days it's all about getting to the next plot point, and who cares if nothing makes sense. 

Share Post

Ice Princess starts out as a fairly believable mystery... and then gets progressively weirder and more science- fiction-y as it goes along.  So by the time the weather machine is unveiled, the viewer is already invested in seeing the story to the end, and invested in the characters.  

I mean, it’s still completely insane, but it’s enjoyable and you slowly get pulled along into the madness.    

So far in my little ‘80s viewing project, the only adventure story that didn’t work at all was the David Gray weirdness about holograms and trying to explain Laura’s disappearance the first half of 1982.   

Edited by SlovakPrincess.

Share Post

Someone mentioned Carly's apology to Bobbie about Tony after his death in 2006 in the main episode thread. Here it is.

I actually really like these scenes, even if what Carly is doing is the definition of "too little, too late." She was right to ask whether she should even be at the service, though. That is definitely a fair question to ask after all the destruction she caused. 

Edited by UYI.

Share Post

For some reason I think Tristan looks so different with short hair. I like it though...

I guess Anna had this hairstyle as at this point she was still a bit murky. This is very noir hair.

It's always weird seeing Brian and Claudia in later years. 

"Oh my God...the Swede!" I wonder if Finola and Tristan had some laughs over that dialogue.

How long did the Qs have that maid?

Edited by Pete Martell.

Share Post

Which Q maid, Stella?  Stella was great!  She's around from at least 1979 (she helps with the surprise! birthing of baby AJ in the mansion) to sometime in the mid to late 80s, I think. 

Here's a fun Q clip -- for reasons that are insane, the Qs are taking turns pretending to be relatives of Leo the sleazy masseur's blackmail victims and and calling Leo up to threaten him (they actually want him out of town for reasons that involve protecting their money, because of course).  Alan's attempts at acting are hilarious - he ends up sounding like a muppet.

(Also there's some pointless crap about Ginny, which I kinda skipped.   Also, in a mind-numbingly stupid move, Felicia goes off to meet her creepy undead known-murderer fiancee Peter in an isolated area.  Like ... in what universe does it make sense that she would not call Robert, her pal the police commissioner, immediately?   This is not one of her finer moments ...)

Share Post

So, at this point in the story, one of Sean's henchmen has shot Tony in the head (Tony was trying to help an injured Peter, after Felicia stupidly agreed to meet Peter and then called Tony for help, and said henchman overheard Peter telling Tony that Sean has the treasure).  Tony is in a coma, Frisco blames Felicia for putting Tony in danger and they are now broken up ... and now the henchman has set up an elaborate scheme to finish Tony off before he can wake up and blab about Sean having Felicia's treasure.  The plan involves causing an epidemic of food poisoning, setting off smoke bombs in the air vents and just general chaos in the hospital.   And Robert is freaking out because he senses the chaos is somehow related to whoever tried to kill Tony the first time.  

Anyway, some interesting stuff here.  Also, by the end of the clip Frisco does one of the dumbest things I've ever seen him do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc-dlzS0pAA

Share Post