The X-Files in the Media

4 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

It's his show. It has been since 1993, and it's made a lot of people a lot of money.  So whether we like Carter's writing or not, I doubt very much that "someone with influence" is going to tell him anything about his writing.  (FWIW, I think his writing can be hit or miss. To me, Babylon was a huge miss, and MSI and II were whatever, but he also wrote some great episodes of the series, for which I have a better appreciation after doing the rewatch).   My point is, I think that if people think that there is going to be some great effort on Fox's part to limit Carter's writing of episodes, they should be prepared to be disappointed.  He may write all of them, none of them, or some of them, but that's likely going to be his decision, not because there's been some pressure from Fox or great outcry from social media. He's been ignoring all of that for 24 years, why would you expect him to start now?

I expect him to start now because it is obvious that his writing has not kept up with the time, and other people could help him with that. Not saying he should remove himself entirely, but he should be open to more criticism and input from other people. He wrote some great episodes in the '90s, and obviously he gets immense credit for creating the show, but for the last decade, everything he's written has been trashed by viewers and critics. 

That being said, I'll still watch it and get whatever enjoyment I get that has kept me coming back after hating seasons 8&9, IWTB, and most of season 10. The characters are great and I'll always love to watch them. I've watched seasons 1-7 so many times I pretty much have every episode memorized. Even the bad ones.

Share Post

(And that Chris Carter writes zero, but I know that wish won't come true.)

I get that he's the creator, but he needs to have his excesses tempered by other writers.

Share Post

I agree that Carter needs his impulses tempered by other writers. All I am saying is that I am not expecting that to happen, because in the 24 years since the showed debuted, CC has done what he wants - and written what he wanted - with the show.

Share Post

I suppose what would really suck--and possibly delay XF production--is if the WGA can't work out a deal this week and the writers go on strike again. (That, of course, presumes that all episodes are not written yet. Perhaps that is incorrect and TXF, magically, gets to take advantage of a writers' strike TWICE; once in 2007 and again in 2017.) 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/writers-guild-strike-authorization-vote-approved-wga-hollywood-1202076382/

Share Post

X-Files in the media, albeit not in the best light possible. Commentary how, in 2017, there can not be a single female writer hired in the writers' room.

The truth is out there, and it’s a bit imbalanced.

As “X-Files” fans gear up for the show’s 11th season, which follows a reboot of the 1990s series in 2016, IndieWire reports that creator Chris Carter has (at least as of now) enlisted only male writers. The season is scheduled for production this summer and will likely air in early 2018.

All of the announced writers, including Carter, are “X-Files” alumni. Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan and James Wong each wrote an episode last season, according to TV Line, and newcomers Brad Follmer, Gabe Rotter and Benjamin Van Allen have all been assistants.

It’s an industry tradition for television writers to rise through the ranks in this manner, so Carter’s choices were to be expected. But in 2017, it’s worth asking: How is there a major network drama that’s so dominated by male voices?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/06/28/the-x-files-writers-room-reportedly-has-hired-only-men-how-does-this-still-happen/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.376a50880697#comments

Share Post

If the online fandom is an accurate representation, women make up the majority of fans who have continued to love the show through its quality decline and lengthy hiatus. The best fanfic writers are women and they actually write compelling stories that explore the mythology and the characters. I think CC has this idea that the female fans of this show only care about MSR and they don't understand the genius of the mythology. Obviously that's false, but I think CC is so disconnected from the fandom that he has never even tried to understand what makes women (and people in general) love this show so much. CC also seems like the type of guy who doesn't really watch TV, so he doesn't fully understand what audiences expect nowadays. It would have been better to hire new writers (female or male) who have some good writing credits to their name who were fans of the show back in the day. Judging by Kumail's old podcast, there's quite a few Hollywood writers/creators that loved the show when they were teenagers. They would have a better chance at writing something that can match the quality of the best network shows while staying true to the characters. Bringing back old writers and assistants is just going to give us more of what we've been getting, which no one wants.

But, what are ya gonna do? I've accepted that I will never stop watching this show no matter how bad it gets. I can only hope that they exceed my expectations. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

If the online fandom is an accurate representation, women make up the majority of fans who have continued to love the show through its quality decline and lengthy hiatus. The best fanfic writers are women and they actually write compelling stories that explore the mythology and the characters. I think CC has this idea that the female fans of this show only care about MSR and they don't understand the genius of the mythology. Obviously that's false, but I think CC is so disconnected from the fandom that he has never even tried to understand what makes women (and people in general) love this show so much. CC also seems like the type of guy who doesn't really watch TV, so he doesn't fully understand what audiences expect nowadays. It would have been better to hire new writers (female or male) who have some good writing credits to their name who were fans of the show back in the day. Judging by Kumail's old podcast, there's quite a few Hollywood writers/creators that loved the show when they were teenagers. They would have a better chance at writing something that can match the quality of the best network shows while staying true to the characters. Bringing back old writers and assistants is just going to give us more of what we've been getting, which no one wants.

But, what are ya gonna do? I've accepted that I will never stop watching this show no matter how bad it gets. I can only hope that they exceed my expectations. 

Yeah, I hear you. I'm frankly puzzled by this. At first I was cheered by the fact that there were new writers at all. (On top of Morgans & Wong who I am very glad to see return since I think their outings were solid in S10.)  But looking up the newbies and, beyond having been writers' assistants back in the day, (which I have no quarrel with--everyone starts somewhere), none of them have any substantial writing credits SINCE then.  And the only thing that Brad Follmer has is a terrible S9 character named after him. 

So....I dunno. I agree that some fresh blood was needed to mix it up but I'm truly annoyed that it isn't that "fresh" at all. And there are PLENTY of excellent women writers for TV out there. Grab any of the spectacular women that were writing for "House" or "Mad Men" to name a few from shows that I truly adored and that featured complex plotting and/or intricate character detail. 

Share Post

I care less about fresh blood and more about the lack of women in the writers' room. I suppose some of that could be mitigated by having a few women directors but one of the things I truly did want for the new season was more women's voices on the show. 

Share Post