The X-Files in the Media

4 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

It's his show. It has been since 1993, and it's made a lot of people a lot of money.  So whether we like Carter's writing or not, I doubt very much that "someone with influence" is going to tell him anything about his writing.  (FWIW, I think his writing can be hit or miss. To me, Babylon was a huge miss, and MSI and II were whatever, but he also wrote some great episodes of the series, for which I have a better appreciation after doing the rewatch).   My point is, I think that if people think that there is going to be some great effort on Fox's part to limit Carter's writing of episodes, they should be prepared to be disappointed.  He may write all of them, none of them, or some of them, but that's likely going to be his decision, not because there's been some pressure from Fox or great outcry from social media. He's been ignoring all of that for 24 years, why would you expect him to start now?

I expect him to start now because it is obvious that his writing has not kept up with the time, and other people could help him with that. Not saying he should remove himself entirely, but he should be open to more criticism and input from other people. He wrote some great episodes in the '90s, and obviously he gets immense credit for creating the show, but for the last decade, everything he's written has been trashed by viewers and critics. 

That being said, I'll still watch it and get whatever enjoyment I get that has kept me coming back after hating seasons 8&9, IWTB, and most of season 10. The characters are great and I'll always love to watch them. I've watched seasons 1-7 so many times I pretty much have every episode memorized. Even the bad ones.

Share Post

(And that Chris Carter writes zero, but I know that wish won't come true.)

I get that he's the creator, but he needs to have his excesses tempered by other writers.

Share Post

I agree that Carter needs his impulses tempered by other writers. All I am saying is that I am not expecting that to happen, because in the 24 years since the showed debuted, CC has done what he wants - and written what he wanted - with the show.

Share Post