Where'd My Show Go? And Other Reorganization Information (Updated Jan 11)

Official Post

TL;DR

• We're moving stuff around, some shows are being reduced to topics
  • The custom homepage is off until Feb.
  • Look for your show in "Other [Letter] Shows" if you can't find it.

Essential Info

Where’d Show X Go?

• Chances are it was turned into a topic
  • For example: The People’s Court was a forum but is now a topic
    • The People’s Court topic lives in the “Other PQ Shows” area with all the other single topic PQ shows
    • The People’s Court disappeared from the 3.0 CHP because that only tracks forums
    • 5c1c811289e3d_(Offline)Forums-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-57-43.png.1af42c96dc2acba57bf49254e83a43e6.png

What’s happening on the current 3.0 system

• We are going through all TV show forums and — depending on their size and traffic — either leaving them as a forum or making them a topic:
    • Completed:  # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O PQ R S T U V W XYZ
  • We will be shutting down the current Custom Homepage (CHP) functionality as it only tracks TV show forums (not topics).
    • This will happen Dec 27th after primetime
    • This is done, there will be no dedicated homepage customization until 4.0 hits in Late Jan/Feb, consider using the Followed Content page until then.

What’s going to happen on the UPCOMING 4.0 system (ETA LATE Jan/FEB)

• The new CHP 4.0 will piggyback on the built-in follows system.
  • If you follow a TV show forum or TV topic, it’ll be added to your CHP

Non-Essential Info

What you can do now to be ready for the 4.0 CHP

• If you want to get your follows ready for the 4.0 CHP, start following TV show forums and TV show topics (see how below).
    • We recommend doing that after a section is processed
  • If you have a terrible memory like me, you might want to make a list based of your current CHP shows before it is shut down on the night of Dec 27th

You can actually use those follows on 3.0 too

• Use the Managed Followed Content page as a (kinda clunky) custom shows list.
    • The Followed Content page was reverted back to the original design. To aid with this, we hacked that page so that all your follows (forums and topics) appear on the same page. Have a look!

What’s the 3.0 homepage going to look like after the 3.0 CHP shuttering?

• Much longer at first but then shorter and shorter as we process TV show forums

How do you decide the fate of a TV show forum?

With the caveat that I'm not going to get in to any determinative math (because the process isn't that rigid) and there's always exceptions that will come into play:

• If the forum is effectively empty (say 2-3 posts or 20 topics with no replies) then it would probably be deleted because -- frankly -- no one is/was interested.
  • If the forum has some meaningful semblance of show discussion but isn't gangbusters then it would most likely converted into one thread
    • unless it really isn't going to be readable as one thread (rare) in which case we'd probably archive the forum and start a new topic for the show
  • If the forum is currently-ish active and has a decent number of topics and posts it'll remain as-is
  • If the forum was quite active in the past but is now dead, then we'll archive that forum, create a new topic for discussion moving forward and put links between the two.

That's really a broad strokes rundown and one I hope shows the very case-by-case evaluation that needs to happen and gives a hint as to why this is going to be a long process.

How To Follow Forums and Topics

Find the bell icon button near the top of the page on any forum page or any topic page:

5c1c7cc6d3b47_(Offline)Preacher-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-39-10.thumb.png.70ad96e8ae1c0186375dab40ffd9d826.png

Click and from the pop-up menu choose “Don't send notifications, just add to my Followed Content” for no-nag following or pick an option that also gives you a notification:

5c1c7d0988281_(Offline)Preacher-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-40-51.thumb.png.10589b258ce9d08394bb581040321cb4.png

Track your follows on the followed content page which you can get to via this navbar icon or into your account drop down:

5c1c7d70c17be_(Offline)Preacher-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-42-34.thumb.png.a4a481ec777b0f3f6c163e6e09a063ae.png

Edited by SilverStormm. Reason: Completed.

Share Post

If a vaulted forum has yet to have a new topic created for it, is there a procedure to ask to have one started?  I'm specifically thinking of Remington Steele. 

Share Post

Vault-new topic links are done after my processing sweep by other humans. It's in progress. I marked a bunch of letters done that aren't truly done because I've been at this for 11 hours and my brain something something. I've corrected the list in the annc.

Share Post

I’m not techno-savvy, this is all very confusing to me. If it ain’t broke ....

I just looked up Survivor, one of my shows I follow, and a lot of stuff is still missing. I’ll check back next week, maybe.... I guess.... ??

Share Post

Cannot find the forum for Travelers, which I was following and had daily posts. Cannot find on topics or even on the list of "T" forums.

Share Post

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m not techno-savvy, this is all very confusing to me. If it ain’t broke ....

I just looked up Survivor, one of my shows I follow, and a lot of stuff is still missing. I’ll check back next week, maybe.... I guess.... ??

Nothing has been removed from within the Survivor forum.

13 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Cannot find the forum for Travelers, which I was following and had daily posts. Cannot find on topics or even on the list of "T" forums.

This has been crunched into a single topic here under 'Other T Shows' in the T category on homepage list.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Emkat said:

I'm lost and afraid! This is so confusing or maybe I'm just tired.

We're in a messy transition period at the moment, please bear with us while this re-org takes place. Soon it will all be better!

Share Post

Probably just as well, I have real life stuff I need to get done so a little PTV vacation is probably in order until things are back to normal. :) Thanks, Silver!

Share Post

Please excuse my memory these days, it's in holiday overload at the moment!  I thought I read in one of your pre-reorg announcements that the users' home pages would remain the same for each user.  I no longer see my customized home page.  Did I not remember or read the post correctly, or do I need to do something to restore my customized home page?  Many thank for all the upkeep you do on this website.  Best wishes for 2019.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Maccagirl said:

I thought I read in one of your pre-reorg announcements that the users' home pages would remain the same for each user.

We said that the custom homepage functionality would be shutting down on 3.0 and will return, rebuilt in 4.0 (ETA: Jan/Feb).

Share Post

As the magician in Frosty The Snowman said, "Messy, messy, messy." As one that has kept abreast of the developments and announcements, I also admit to being a bit dizzy by the chaos! Hopefully, for all involved, it will sort itself out sooner than later. 😊

Share Post

Trailing along behind you letter by letter (and crossing off a master list, as my memory goes on unauthorized vacations from time to time) as you vault and start a new thread, condense, or leave intact "my" forums, in order to populate my Followed Content page (which will, as I understand, populate my CHP once the new version of that launches) is going smoothly, but I do have one question:  Should we add this Site Business section to our FC in order to have it on our new CHP when that comes to fruition, or will it automatically be included just like it was with the old CHP?

Share Post

Two shows, Shark Tank Beyond The Tank and The Andy Griffith Show, it says “click here to be redirected....”

There’s nothing to click on. The http isn’t a link.

Share Post

Not a busy show, but...
1) "Return to Amish" is buried in the B Vault with the wrong name.  It has a current airing season.

2) I see a post was made to a vault topic in episode "S05.E04: Jeremiah's Dark Past" in the B Vault on 12/26 but there is NO reply function.  What is the explanation?  Weren't B shows "fixed up" and consolidated early on in the process?  Was the S05E04 topic somehow moved to the vault after 12/26?

Share Post

On 12/21/2018 at 12:46 AM, David T. Cole said:

How To Follow Forums and Topics

Find the bell icon button near the top of the page on any forum page or any topic page:

5c1c7cc6d3b47_(Offline)Preacher-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-39-10.thumb.png.70ad96e8ae1c0186375dab40ffd9d826.png

Click and from the pop-up menu choose “Don't send notifications, just add to my Followed Content” for no-nag following or pick an option that also gives you a notification:

5c1c7d0988281_(Offline)Preacher-Previously.TVForums2018-12-2023-40-51.thumb.png.10589b258ce9d08394bb581040321cb4.png

I do not see this little bell icon when I look at forums I want to follow. There is only the two mark read buttons and Start New Topic. Is there another way to follow a forum?

Share Post

Are we at a point yet where the page can default to followed forums?  I don’t have any topics, apparently, and it would be nice to be able to open directly to the followed forums....

Thanks for all the hard work here!!

Share Post

I’m only following shows once a letter has been processed, which I assume is when that letter has an OTHER [LETTER] SHOW and a [LETTER] VAULT forum. I’m doing this because:

• if a show has been downgraded to a Topic and I’m behind watching it, I’m following both the OTHER [LETTER] SHOWS and the [LETTER] VAULT version of the same show so I can read archived posts as I catch up. When I am caught up, I’ll drop the [LETTER] VAULT topic from my CHP.
  • I don’t know which shows are being archived/converted to a Topic until that letter has been processed.

Is my understanding about how this works correct? Thank you! This is a huge undertaking, but it seems as clear and manageable as it can be considering the changes being made.

Share Post

On December 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM, David T. Cole said:
  • . . . there will be no dedicated homepage customization until 4.0 hits in Late Jan/Feb, consider using the Followed Content page until then.

Just in case anyone finds this more convenient in the short term:

This Followed Content page --> 
forums.previously.tv/followed/ 
lands on the followed Topics.

This Followed Content page --> 
forums.previously.tv/followed/?type=forums_forum 
lands on the followed Forums.

And if you want to see all forums, the direct link is -->
forums.previously.tv/forum/5-shows/

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

What happened to Crossing Lines? I know there has been nothing new posted there in a long time but I usually go back and reread when I rewatch the show and can't find it now in the vault or the other.

Share Post

When will we be able to request forums for new shows, or is that procedure going to change too? It might not be evident at first how active the discussion will be for a new show.

Share Post

On 12/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, cooksdelight said:

Two shows, Shark Tank Beyond The Tank and The Andy Griffith Show, it says “click here to be redirected....”

I assume you're referring to the new topic which replaced the vaulted forum. I checked both links for Shark Tank: Beyond The Tank and both work for me. I cannot find The Andy Griffith Show so must assume it was one of the deleted forums - unless you can let me have a link for it?

On 12/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, MajorNelson said:

Not a busy show, but...
1) "Return to Amish" is buried in the B Vault with the wrong name.  It has a current airing season.

2) I see a post was made to a vault topic in episode "S05.E04: Jeremiah's Dark Past" in the B Vault on 12/26 but there is NO reply function.  What is the explanation?  Weren't B shows "fixed up" and consolidated early on in the process?  Was the S05E04 topic somehow moved to the vault after 12/26?

1. The forum is named Breaking Amish so resides in the B vault, if the show was renamed please ask the forum mod to check. 

2. That post was made sometime earlier the same day - prior - to the forum being vaulted on 12/26. Once vaulted, forums are read-only. 

21 hours ago, b2H said:

Are we at a point yet where the page can default to followed forums?  I don’t have any topics, apparently, and it would be nice to be able to open directly to the followed forums....

Thanks for all the hard work here!!

Not until the CHP is rebuilt sometime in Jan/Feb. In the meantime you can use 'Followed Content' to track shows. See the OP for how to do that.

18 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Where is iron chef america?

The forum was vaulted here. A new single topic exists under 'Other I Shows' which is also linked to inside the vaulted forum.

15 hours ago, Babalu said:

I’m only following shows once a letter has been processed, which I assume is when that letter has an OTHER [LETTER] SHOW and a [LETTER] VAULT forum. I’m doing this because:

• if a show has been downgraded to a Topic and I’m behind watching it, I’m following both the OTHER [LETTER] SHOWS and the [LETTER] VAULT version of the same show so I can read archived posts as I catch up. When I am caught up, I’ll drop the [LETTER] VAULT topic from my CHP.
  • I don’t know which shows are being archived/converted to a Topic until that letter has been processed.

Is my understanding about how this works correct? Thank you! This is a huge undertaking, but it seems as clear and manageable as it can be considering the changes being made.

When each letter category is finished processing it is announced in the OP in here. If you try to follow content before then you risk not finding new topics for vaulted forums as it is still a work-in-progress. Other than that, yes, what you're doing is a-ok.

14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Why was The Incredible Dr. Pol demoted? It disappeared from my followed content.

It is one of the less busy forums that was condensed into a single topic. You can track it in your followed content as a single topic by clicking the bell icon at the top of the new thread.

7 hours ago, xfuse said:

What happened to Crossing Lines? I know there has been nothing new posted there in a long time but I usually go back and reread when I rewatch the show and can't find it now in the vault or the other.

If it no longer exists it was deleted as one of the forums that had little to no traffic. You may create a new topic for it in 'Other C Shows' if you wish to discuss it but please only use the show name itself as the title.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

When will we be able to request forums for new shows, or is that procedure going to change too? It might not be evident at first how active the discussion will be for a new show.

Most new shows will begin life as a single topic now, unless it's a hyped show, in which case please request as usual and a determination will be made. An announcement about this will be pinned in the new show forum requests area once the Re-Org is completed.

Share Post

On 12/29/2018 at 5:57 PM, beowoof said:

I do not see this little bell icon when I look at forums I want to follow. There is only the two mark read buttons and Start New Topic. Is there another way to follow a forum?

This is likely due to something at your end, probably an ad blocker or similar.

Share Post

16 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:
On 12/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, cooksdelight said:

I assume you're referring to the new topic which replaced the vaulted forum. I checked both links for Shark Tank: Beyond The Tank and both work for me.

On one of my old Apple devices (either iPhone 5 with last OS available of 10.3 or iPad Mini 1 with last OS avaialble of 9.something), on one browser (don't recall which, but probably Safari or Chrome), the links out from the vault threads were text only, but you can copy and paste the URLs, IIRC.

Share Post

I use a Macbook with Chrome and it works fine for me, but yes, if necessary the url's may be copy/pasted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share Post

None of what I followed previously is showing in my followed content via the links provided above. Is this how it's supposed to be and I have to follow everything all over again? If so, is it a definite that doing this now will carryover to the next change? I don't want to do this twice so I'll wait two months or whatever if it's not a guaranteed carryover.

Share Post

If what you were following has been condensed to a single topic then you will need to re-follow the topic. Yes, the new CHP 4.0 will piggyback on the built-in follows system so there won't be any need to re-follow stuff for that.

Share Post

1 hour ago, SilverStormm said:

If what you were following has been condensed to a single topic then you will need to re-follow the topic. Yes, the new CHP 4.0 will piggyback on the built-in follows system so there won't be any need to re-follow stuff for that.

Thanks. And if it matters in trying to weed out problems, the series I follow that remained forums are not showing either, so it's not just the condensed topics for me.

Share Post

8 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

This is likely due to something at your end, probably an ad blocker or similar.

You were totally right, it was my ad blocker. Thank you for the help!

Share Post

12 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Thanks. And if it matters in trying to weed out problems, the series I follow that remained forums are not showing either, so it's not just the condensed topics for me.

Can you let me have an example or 2 of these please?

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

Does this reorg have anything to do with broken images in some threads? I'll use the last two pages of this pet thread as an example.

Nope, that's nothing to do with the re-org. Looks like they are bad links.

Share Post

2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Can you let me have an example or 2 of these please?

Blackish and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are 2 examples. I'm using Windows 10 and a Chrome browser, both updated to the latest versions if that helps at all. This is the case with or without an ad blocker on.

Share Post

What happened to Canada’s Worst Driver? I have looked everywhere for it

Share Post

8 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Blackish and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are 2 examples. I'm using Windows 10 and a Chrome browser, both updated to the latest versions if that helps at all. This is the case with or without an ad blocker on.

I checked your Followed Content which is currently empty; so you will need to go follow any forums that you want to track by clicking the bell icon inside the forum next to the forum title and then selecting the notification you would like. All CHP stuff was removed when the CHP went away on the 27th.

8 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

What happened to Canada’s Worst Driver? I have looked everywhere for it

This is now a topic within 'Other C Shows' under the C category.

Share Post

If I see a show that is not where it belongs, should I report it, and, if so, how (since forums don't have Report icons)?

Share Post

You can either send a generic 'report' from say one of your own posts, or PM the forum mod if you know who that is, or let me know in here. Thanks.

Share Post

Just noticed:
I see that if I "follow" a vaulted forum that the link in my Followed Forums list is to the page with just the link to the new Topic page for the show (not to the landing page for the vaulted forum).

Maybe there could eventually be a header or footer in the topic pages with a link back to the vault of the show.

For now, I guess it would be okay if we just include a link to the vault when posting in the new topic page—especially when relevant.
Actually, it might be better this way—for instance, if/when the L&O board gets vaulted, linking to the L&O Season 1 discussion thread when discussing those episodes (which start airing today on the Escape channel).

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

You must have followed the wrong thing because I tested this by following a random vaulted forum and when I clicked on it in my followed content 'forums' list it took me directly to the vaulted forum itself.

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe there could eventually be a header or footer in the topic pages with a link back to the vault of the show.

For now, I guess it would be okay if we just include a link to the vault when posting in the new topic page—especially when relevant.

This already exists - each new replacement topic for a vaulted forum contains a link to the vaulted forum in the OP. Likewise, each vaulted forum has a pinned topic linking to its new replacement topic.

Share Post

Is there any chance/is it likely that the Extra Hot Great Forums will be moved somewhere more visible? I know they're still there (Shows/Off-Topic/Podcasts/Extra Hot Great, if anyone's wondering) but it's not exactly an obvious place to look. It's not as if they're low traffic, as they get posts every week - from the Previously Overlords, even if nobody else!

Share Post

On 12/21/2018 at 1:46 AM, David T. Cole said:

Track your follows on the followed content page which you can get to via this navbar icon or into your account drop down:

When I do that, I get a page that says "There's nothing here yet".  To get to my forums, I have to click again, on the sidebar menu option.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Share Post

11 minutes ago, John Potts said:

Is there any chance/is it likely that the Extra Hot Great Forums will be moved somewhere more visible? I know they're still there (Shows/Off-Topic/Podcasts/Extra Hot Great, if anyone's wondering) but it's not exactly an obvious place to look. It's not as if they're low traffic, as they get posts every week - from the Previously Overlords, even if nobody else!

That's their new home for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

When I do that, I get a page that says "There's nothing here yet".  To get to my forums, I have to click again, on the sidebar menu option.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Yes. It defaults to followed 'topics', to view followed 'forums' you have to click on 'forums' in the left sidebar.

Share Post

Is there any type of "appeal" process for changing from a topic back to a forum?  There was quite a bit of lovely snarky activity on The Pioneer Woman and we kept things in the correct topic.  Now it will all be lumped together because it went from a forum to a topic. 

The New Topic button is still active so when we go to the new platform will that work to add new topics if the show is now a topic or only if it's a forum?  Inquiring minds....

Share Post

A review may be requested but the likelihood is that it will stay as it is unless we missed something. That isn't the case here; the reality is 99.9% of discussion took place within only 2 topics, therefore, moving to a single topic was a logical choice.

If a forum has been condensed to a single topic no further topics will be permitted for that show. The new topic creation function is for topics for other shows.

Share Post

On 12/28/2018 at 1:07 PM, David T. Cole said:

We said that the custom homepage functionality would be shutting down on 3.0 and will return, rebuilt in 4.0 (ETA: Jan/Feb).

Thank you for your helpful reply.  I remembered something about the home page, but could not remember all the details.  At the end of the year, with all the holiday hoopla, I am lucky I can remember my name!  Thanks again for all your oversight and coordination with the fabulous website and forums.  Best wishes for a fabulous 2019.

Share Post

Thank you for the reply., and I see the "Return to Amish" has been moved from B to R (yay!), and a topic was opened as well.  Thanks mods!

Share Post

I appreciate all the work done by whoever runs this site- but I found it a lot easier to get to my shows before, as compared to now.     

Share Post

What we have now is temporary; it'll get better once the rebuilt CHP is functional.

Share Post