We Follow All Leads: Spoilers and Speculation

20 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I can only see it end two ways: either they all retire or they kill Sharon off. I don't like either possibility. I don't see how any of them retiring (well, apart from maybe Provenza) would leave the door open and/or be a defiant ending. Same goes for killing off Sharon, that would not really leave the door open, in my opinion, however, I could see how it could be considered defiant but only in a "screw you network" kind of way.

My ideal ending would have been if they had wrapped up all stories and then it would have endedin a way that would have left us able to imagine that tomorrow is a new day for them and they go back to work, just without us watching and they all live happily ever after, so to speak.

Those are always my ideal series finales, but I don't automatically hate the idea of retirement for this one.  First and foremost, because James Duff may have been in a situation where one or all of the actors whose contracts were up had decided they didn't want to renew even if the show didn't wind up being canceled.  So, in that case, retirement is the logical choice - well, assuming it's Mary McDonnell, Tony Denison, and/or G.W. Bailey - as a set-up for a scenario that makes sense as an ending and makes just as much sense if you do win up coming back, but minus some characters.

Now, if he knew he'd have his full cast in the event they unexpectedly wound up with a seventh season, I'd still prefer it end like I always express my desire for a series to end -- with loose ends wrapped up, and characters who carry on as usual, we just won't happen to be peeking in on them anymore.  But, even there, I don't automatically hate retirement, depending on who and how it comes about.

Sharon, if she was still in FID and still a captain, might very well be thinking about retirement around this time; she's been eligible for her pension for a while, and she strikes me as someone who finds enjoyment in many things in addition to her work.  Now that she's the happiest she's ever been in her career, leading Major Crimes, she's looking to do it longer, but she's not someone for whom retirement is going to be boring or otherwise awful.  Andy didn't used to have anything other than the job, but now he's very well reconciled with his daughter, at least, and integrated into her family, and he's married to Sharon.  Retirement now has upsides for him, too.  If they left the job at 80, they'd still miss it; it's always going to be a bittersweet thing for them, no matter how much they look forward to enjoying retirement at the time, because they enjoy their jobs so much.  But they're not necessarily going to hate leaving it in their early 60s instead, depending on the circumstances.

I'd hate to see either one of them forced into it by their health, but if their health issues led them to decide they want to retire at this point in their lives, even though it's earlier than they had originally intended, I can envision that being written in a way that works for me.  As I said in another thread, if retirement isn't something forced on them despite their wishes to the contrary, but something they just decide to move up the timeline on  under the circumstances and are happy about it; something in the vein of how Brenda moved on to the DA's office -- circumstances forced her to make a choice, but she did get to make the decision herself, go out on her own terms, and go on to something different but still good; a little bittersweet, but not at all sad -- it might work.

But even though Provenza is the oldest of those at retirement age, I don't want it to end with him retiring; him, I want to die at his desk with his stapler in his hands. 

Share Post

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd hate to see either one of them forced into it by their health, but if their health issues led them to decide they want to retire at this point in their lives, even though it's earlier than they had originally intended, I can envision that being written in a way that works for me.  As I said in another thread, if retirement isn't something forced on them despite their wishes to the contrary, but something they just decide to move up the timeline on  under the circumstances and are happy about it; something in the vein of how Brenda moved on to the DA's office -- circumstances forced her to make a choice, but she did get to make the decision herself, go out on her own terms, and go on to something different but still good; a little bittersweet, but not at all sad -- it might work.

Didn't Duff say that he and McDonnell realized that the show can only end in one way or something along those lines? Given that they brought in those health issues and that Sharon will have a setback, I think that if she retires (and doesn't die) at the end then it will be due to her health. I think the storyline and what was said in interviews suggest that.

Same with Andy, he can't go out in the field without his supervisor, so from the episode, I'm assuming he meant Sharon and not Provenza. I would further assume that Sharon will have to reduce her field work even further now that she has health issues of her own which basically means Andy is back to staying at the precinct, too. Of course, if Sharon were to retire, there'd be a new CO but I can't see him staying on just because he can go back into the field again.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But even though Provenza is the oldest of those at retirement age, I don't want it to end with him retiring; him, I want to die at his desk with his stapler in his hands. 

As long as it doesn't happen on the show, I'm good. I can't see him leading Major Crimes though for various reasons.

Share Post

Oh, I agree that if she retires it's going to be because of her health.  Same with Andy.  And I also think they'll both decide to retire when this season ends. 

I just don't think it will be a thing where they get a dire prognosis and/or get forced off the job, so retirement is a sad ending for them.  That just hasn't been Duff's style with this franchise.  I think it will be something where they look at the effect stress has on their conditions and the fact their conditions put limitations on doing the job the way they want (Andy can only be in the field under certain conditions, and she is supposed to rest when she gets tired, but when she's in the middle of a case she doesn't want to rest) and decide they want to retire.  They could keep going, but they'd rather move on that do it differently.  They've had a good, long run, they've got Stroh (in the morgue, hopefully), Rusty is headed off to law school, and they're ready to start the next phase of their lives.  It will be an adjustment, and they'll miss the jobs (as would always be the case), but they can travel, rest when they need to, relax - alone, together, with their families - and enjoy being able to make plans that won't be interrupted by murders.

12 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Didn't Duff say that he and McDonnell realized that the show can only end in one way or something along those lines?

That I didn't hear/read, but it's certainly possible (it's what he and Sedgwick said about Brenda, though, so maybe you're thinking of that).

Share Post

"“Mary and I were collaborators and partners in this process, all the way to the end.”

"And to be 'brutally honest,' as Duff puts it, to keep Sharon alive through what at the time had not been publicly announced as the final season would have done a disservice to its star.

'We knew they were going to cancel the show, but we did not know they were going to [announce that] in advance of airing it,' Duff says. 'What was Mary to do in that situation? If we had left the fate of her character in the air, people would not know she was available. And who am I to coop up Mary McDonnell in a dead show? That does not honor our professional relationship in any way, shape or form.'"

I commend James Duff for his honesty.

Share Post

2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

"“Mary and I were collaborators and partners in this process, all the way to the end.”

"And to be 'brutally honest,' as Duff puts it, to keep Sharon alive through what at the time had not been publicly announced as the final season would have done a disservice to its star.

'We knew they were going to cancel the show, but we did not know they were going to [announce that] in advance of airing it,' Duff says. 'What was Mary to do in that situation? If we had left the fate of her character in the air, people would not know she was available. And who am I to coop up Mary McDonnell in a dead show? That does not honor our professional relationship in any way, shape or form.'"

I commend James Duff for his honesty.

I can get on board with that. I still think he should have thought of the fans first. He could have the ten best paid actresses and actors on the show and it still would have been cancelled after the first season had there been no watchers.

The actors know what they are signing up for. McDonnell also earned a nice chunk of money, I would presume. So, if it had taken her a couple of months longer for everyone to know that was available again, it wouldn't have hurt her.

Share Post

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, CheshireCat said:

So, if it had taken her a couple of months longer for everyone to know that was available again, it wouldn't have hurt her.

Seriously. She makes more per week than I do in a year so I wouldn't feel too bad for her if she had to wait a few months to find her next job. That was NOT the reason for this. He can try to spin it as a "good deed" as much as he wants. He just wanted to burn down the house to spit the landlord (network). He wasn't thinking of the actors or the fans he was thinking of giving the network the finger. 

Share Post

Obviously nothing to report as far as spoilers and speculation, but this seemed as good of a spot as any as I came here to clean up my homepage since this show is no more, I just wanted to say a fond farewell to all who have played along with me in this sandlot for so many years! Here's to us running into each other on other show pages for years to come.  Take care and be well. 

Share Post