S02.E03: The Punishment Room

Midge puts her impeccable planning to the test as she helps Mary with her special day. Joel attempts to keep finances steady at Maisel and Roth and ends up on a treasure hunt. Midge's act flourishes, but Susie's finances take a hit. Back at Columbia, Rose finds herself out of her comfort zone when auditing classes.

Share Post

"are you having an orgasm?!"

"are you having a stroke?!"

i laughed so many times during this episode, but the exchange between midge and susie at the stage deli was a highlight.

Share Post

Well, this episode was well-titled. "Punishment Room" indeed! Only in the end it was the Window Room where the punishment happened.

I get that the point of the plot of Midge helping with her co-worker's  wedding was always going to end with Midge being inappropriate and realizing she is changing as a person, but I kind of hated that they went there in that way--even if it was effective.

Share Post

Oh, man, as soon as she stood up and went into stand up mode, I was cringing.  Not your day, Midge!  And not at all appropriate!  Poor Mary. :(  Guess it wasn't just the money that was holding back her dream wedding.  :/

Share Post

Joel’s mother having made actual treasure maps to the cash is hysterical. His father bringing in power tools to cut a hiding place In Midge’s parents closet...paranoia or eccentric? 

Share Post

Maybe I just didn't notice it last season, but I feel like everyone's language has degraded considerably since season 1.  And I do feel a little scandalized by full frontal nudity on this show.  Not that I can't handle it, just that I view this show as having a cotton candy view of New York, and suddenly Midge is swearing like a sailor and Rose has a penis flapping in her face.   

Share Post

I thought having Midge trash her friend's wedding was awful. It wasn't the least bit funny. It made me uncomfortable. The first season was pure fun and now it's getting ridiculous. It made the character seem like a mindless egomaniac.  

That coupled with leaving the infant in the car is too much. Who is writing this stuff?? Ditto the spoiled mother.

Not fun and not relatable.  Thank God for Tony Shaloub's character. 

Also love the mother in law in the fur coat. 

Share Post

Apparently Midge has no learning curve. Not sure what to think of Rose and Abe's plot but I loved that burgundy dress she was wearing in the first scene. The phone call between Midge and Joel about the money cache was great - there was an easy-going chemistry in their bonding about their crazy parents. In general the writing for Joel is so much better this season.

Share Post

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Maybe I just didn't notice it last season, but I feel like everyone's language has degraded considerably since season 1.  And I do feel a little scandalized by full frontal nudity on this show.  Not that I can't handle it, just that I view this show as having a cotton candy view of New York, and suddenly Midge is swearing like a sailor and Rose has a penis flapping in her face.   

I did adore both Rose's and Abe's reaction to said penis though.  Rose's gasping "Too close! Still too close!" and Abe's collapse and student yelling "Give him air! HE JUST SAW A NAKED MAN!" were comedy gold!

Share Post

I did adore both Rose's and Abe's reaction to said penis though.  Rose's gasping "Too close! Still too close!" and Abe's collapse and student yelling "Give him air! HE JUST SAW A NAKED MAN!" were comedy gold!

I did love Rose's reaction.  It was like she thought the thing would leap off the model and get her. 

Edited by txhorns79.

Share Post

10 hours ago, Rweyls said:

I thought having Midge trash her friend's wedding was awful. It wasn't the least bit funny. It made me uncomfortable

I had the same reaction, but reading this comment:

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Apparently Midge has no learning curve

makes me wonder if they are going for a mental illness angle. Kind of like a Jim Carrey bipolar reveal, perhaps triggered in part by learning of Joel's infidelity, and also just her age (mid 20s?), although I think it would have to be schizophrenia for the age to be a factor.

Share Post

I think a mental illness is too dark for this show. I wonder if we were supposed to view the scene as funny. I agree with those above who mentioned that the humor has become quite crass and sometimes border-line offensive. And Joel's father in the Gojim bank wasn't particularly funny (or believable) either.

Edited by MissLucas.

Share Post

This is the type of stand up she’s doing. Keep in mind the comments she gets when the bookers find out she’s a comic - do you sing? The belief is that women aren’t funny. The truth is, the best comedians usually go into that place that most people are uncomfortable. 

She’s doing it this way because she’s a groundbreaking comedian. Keep in mind how much funnier she is than some of the men she was behind in episode 2... much funnier. The best men comedians are always edgier than the mainstream men. She’s modeling herself after Redd Fox and Lenny Bruce, not Sophie Lenin. Or Bill Cosby. Thank GOD. Because they aren’t really funny. 

Her skewering of her friend at her wedding wasn’t awful because it was vulgar; it was because she wasn’t a good friend and didn’t realize until it was too late that the whole world isn’t her open mic. She needs to censor herself if only to preserve her relationships. And it’s not the content, it’s the where, why, and how. We all do that. 

Share Post

On 12/8/2018 at 9:53 AM, Browndog319 said:

Her skewering of her friend at her wedding wasn’t awful because it was vulgar; it was because she wasn’t a good friend and didn’t realize until it was too late that the whole world isn’t her open mic. She needs to censor herself if only to preserve her relationships. And it’s not the content, it’s the where, why, and how.

True -- the same material in one of the clubs probably would have been funny.

Even though she's facing prejudice as a woman in comedy, she's also gotten lots of approval from audiences -- including taking over the stage in Paris. That seemed inappropriate to me, but the response reinforced her action.  She's so scared of admitting to her parents that she's gone outside their expectations, and yet she also feels generally entitled to act as she pleases. Stepping in to "fix" co-workers' problems -- whether requested or not -- is another example, and she practically browbeat Mary into letting her handle the reception. She seems to think she knows better, (and she's obviously got skills), but she really has no concept of life outside her privileged world (Susie's financial situation included). I hope that if Mary does forgive her, it's not soon. Her marriage falling apart gave her material; Mary's reception is maybe finally a wake-up call.

I disliked the scene with Abe and Rose with the (department head? university president?) for being so manipulative and blind to others, although it showed that Midge is clearly a product of her parents' beliefs. 

Share Post

I didn't like the wedding scene, too vulgar and it wasn't a "different audience" thing, it was just bad comedy.

I did like the Abe and Rose with the president and how he stood up for her. She spoke the truth and I admired her for that.

Share Post