S01.E01: All That We Left Behind

A team of scientists join the crew of the Nightflyer on a journey to make contact with alien life.

Official Airdate: December 2, 2018 but the episode is already available to stream on SyFy's website.

Share Post

I didn’t really know what I was getting into. I don’t like horror so this may not be my thing. And the pacing, or dialogue, or editing, something was off. Can’t put my finger on it. 

Yet it’s intriguing enough I may try to watch between my fingers. 

Share Post

The opening scene was a bad ideal. Maybe there are the fans who watch episodic TV knowing everything goes to shit in the end but just watching a closed society crew picked apart one by one to the end doesn't seem fun.

I got hung up on 2093, thinking there won't be that much cultural drift "Nightflyer" as a ship name for that mission. The genetically modified children for space flight and all. Then you have them dropping F-bombs but in the shower scene with the "Captain" who is almost certainly a HAL computer and showing Jodie Turner-Smith in her bra then shying away from the ass shot .

That giant security chief reminded me of Adam from Joan Of Acadia

Share Post

That opening scene: why? I suppose I am not the type whose anticipation is whetted by a foregone conclusion. How many episodes (or seasons) will it take to get there? Will the actors even look the same? Was it a hallucination? (There were a lot of those ... which tends to get confusing, and exhausting,  after a while.) 

It was okay - but not exactly frightening or riveting. Too many fake-outs. And what would be the logic of bringing a certified homicidal telepath  whose cooperation is critical to the success of your mission? 
Maybe the problem was that there were so many plot lines thrown against the wall in the first episode: dying planet, a plague,  alien contact , genetically modified humans, dangerous telepaths, family drama, mysterious absentee captain, etc. 

Television pickings are somewhat slim this time of year, so we will continue to watch  ... but I was expecting more after all the marketing hype. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha.

Share Post

37 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

That opening scene: why? I suppose I am not the type whose anticipation is whetted by a foregone conclusion. How many episodes (or seasons) will it take to get there? Will the actors even look the same? Was it a hallucination? (There were a lot of those ... which tends to get confusing, and exhausting,  after a while.) 

I'm not a fan of that kind of gimmick either. And the rest of the episode didn't grab me either so I stopped watching after 15 or 20 minutes.

Share Post

I was quite underwhelmed, and I say that as a huge syfy fan.  I'm not at all a fan of the almost-cliched at this point:  opening massacre, then flashback approach.  Don't care for hallucinations, too much trouble for me as a viewer to keep it straight.  So far, the thing really is just a mass of cliches, including the dead daughter.

Ont he other hand - Gretchen Mol!  Always a delight.

Share Post

They cancel The Expanse and give us this? Sorry SyFy, not good choices.

Edited by edhopper.

Share Post

I’ll go further back:  they cancel “Dominion” because (among other things) it was too complicated (really?) and give us this?

Share Post

2 hours ago, edhopper said:

They cancel The Expanse and give us this? Sorry SyFy, not good choices.

The reason "The Expanse" got canceled was that Syfy signed a deal with the producers that didn't give them many ways to make money from it.  Apparently they made a much better deal on this show.

Edited by TobyTucker.

Share Post

2 hours ago, TobyTucker said:

The reason "The Expanse" got canceled was that Syfy signed a deal with the producers that didn't give them many ways to make money from it.  Apparently they made a much better deal on this show.

Good business doesn't equal good shows.

Share Post

I like the actors so far, and the space effects are great, but the story itself is already somehow both confusing and cliche. The dead daughter, telepaths who everyone hates, the cynical scientist, etc. I do think the Captain not ever appearing in person seemingly and having lived in space all his life is kind of interesting. But, I basically still have no idea what this show is actually about. 

Horror and science fiction are a pretty solid combination, so I will give it some more time to figure itself out. It set up a whole bunch of stuff that seems like it has potential, if not groundbreaking, which it will hopefully explore. 

Share Post

Personally, the narrative setup for this show was severely lacking. 

The earth is about to die. Dealt with in a single sentence.

There are aliens that might help earth's future. Dealt with in a couple of sentences.

We need a dangerous psychic who may kill us all on this mission. Dealt with in a couple of sentences.

We got a busted ship in earth orbit. No alternative mentioned. 

The Nightflyer is apparently a crew for hire that doesn't believe in the mission. Not really dealt with.

Maybe these things will be addressed later, But I'm not sure I'll stick around after episode 2.

Share Post

You all echoed some of my thoughts.  I thought it was interesting, but confusing.  I'm willing to give it a few more episodes though. 

At some point I turned to my husband and said, "Why don't they just put the telepath into a coma and get him out when they are ready?"

Also, I think the telepath may have saved that woman in the shower rather than hurt her because there is apparently some other baddie on the ship.

Oh, we'll see how it goes.

Share Post