The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

I adore that she still tries to go to acting classes and believes she's still green! She's not egotistical or arrogant at all! Looooooooooveeeeee her!!!!!!!!! *heart eyes*

Is it weird that I find her outfits strange (and own nothing like that) but I kinda wish I could pull them off? Lol if I was friends with her I'd probably try to copy her clothes once in a while! There is something randomly cool about her clothes! 

I love hearing her talk about acting! She's so articulate.

She's such a cool girl but soooooooooooo nice *fangirling madly*

I think I'm in love! Well more in love! 

Share Post

That was such a great interview. The real story about why they gave her the couch when they were filming 621 is hilarious. Poor Emily, suffering for her art.

Share Post

Loved that interview! Now I'm curious about which dress she wore that she couldn't sit down in? I dig when she gets to talk about the technical aspects of acting. (And I don't get why people are getting salty on Twitter about her pregnancy comment. I don't think she was insulting moms; she's just fully aware of how the show does a bad job at juggling multiple storylines for any character that isn't Oliver.)

Edited by Trisha.

Share Post

16 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Loved that interview! Now I'm curious about which dress she wore that she couldn't sit down in? 

It was the cream colored dress she was wearing in 621.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, Trisha said:

(And I don't get why people are getting salty on Twitter about her pregnancy comment. I don't think she was insulting moms; she's just fully aware of how the show does a bad job a juggling multiple storylines for any character that isn't Oliver.)

Some of fandom seem to take her comments so personally and it does tend to be the fans who are already moms. It’s like she can’t say anything negative about the baby storyline because somehow she’s insulting their real lives? IDK. Kinda odd tbh. 

I totally see why she’s wary of a pregnancy storyline, given how they’ve written for her the last year or so. Maybe I’m doing the new writers a disservice but I just can’t see them handling it well on Arrow, however much I’d love Felicity to juggle it all. 

Share Post

She didn't even address the baby directly. Just said she wanted more for Felicity than her just revolving around the relationship. And she said she didn't like the pregnancy manips which I always found as creepy as heck and no one wants that baby more than me!

Are people getting really worked up about it?

Share Post

Transcription of portions of above-posted Daily Hive video interview with EBR...

-- On whether she knew that her character would live on longer when she went to do her one-day audition for Arrow six years ago, EBR: "Oh, no... Well, then, I was just feeling so fortunate to have a day of work that wasn’t, you know, at the dog shop I was working at! (Laughs) And so, um, and sort of getting, you know, sort of the other side, 'cause I was still in class back then too and just sort of being like, 'oh, this is what -' you know, I get to walk on set for a couple hours, something I've prepared for for a very long time - and it's like, oh, there's a little bit of validation and solidifying that, um, sort of person that I was trying to materialize, to a certain extent. Um, and I really liked Felicity's sides. They were some of the best sides I'd read in Vancouver at the time. Like, there hadn't been a lot of, you know, full auditions and sides sent my way. And, yeah, I was just really grateful and it was super fun. And then, I had no idea, 'cause I was so green in terms of - I mean, I still am to a certain extent, 'cause I've only ever been on this one show for a period of time. Um, but yeah, nobody knew. Nobody knew. The show was so new and, um, she was only written for that one episode, those two scenes we did at the CBC radio station, which is also two minutes that way. So yeah, it was a good day!”

-- On how long it took before her one-day gig turned into a recurring role on Arrow, EBR: "Well, it took a full season to sort of understand the gravitas of what she was, you know, becoming in that universe... So that was episode 3 and then I think I was in - I might have been in 4, but definitely like around 7 or 8, they were like, 'we're going to use you for a couple more, um, like 12 and 13,' and stuff like that. But that jargon, like 'recurring,' 'regular', wasn't even in my vocabulary to a certain extent. It was sort of like, acting, working, what days, like 'when do you need me, at what time?' ... I didn't know what she was becoming."

-- Per EBR, it was about four years after she moved away from home and started acting school that she got the Arrow audition and Felicity role. Before that she was teaching yoga and then working at the dog shop.

-- In response to SA's March 28, 2018 tweet about EBR getting her own on-set couch, EBR: "You want to know the secret behind that couch. The dress was so tight that if I sat upright, I'd rip it. So I needed a couch that day. So it wasn't a special treatment, it was more like purgatory." Interviewer mentioned someone's online comment that "when you're holding up the show on your own, you get tired." EBR (laughing): "You get tired! I hated that dress. I hated that dress."

-- On whether it's weird to have fans have theories about her character and dissect her work, EBR: "I tell you, social media is super, super weird because - I mean like, I'm so grateful for the fandom and everyone's usually very, very nice. And I'm not afraid of opinions - have your own opinion about, you know, tv, movies, art, in any way, you know, whatever you want. But seeing pictures of my body edited to pregnant, that's where the line is drawn for me. I can't do that anymore... So I don't scroll too deep."

-- When interviewer mentioned EBR's previous comment about not wanting Felicity to be pregnant, EBR: "I did say that and I regretted saying it right afterwards because I got some hate. I said that just because I didn't want her to revolve around just being in this relationship. That's why."

-- EBR: "I am definitely a creature of habit. So I'll wake up in the morning and I'll do sort of the same things I do here. Like, I'll have coffee and I'll work out and then I'll go someplace where I'll need to sit down for a couple hours."

-- On the difference between working on a theatre play and working on a tv show like Arrow that she's been on for seven years, EBR: "I think with TV - I mean, especially on the show that I work on - we get our scripts - you know, in the season, we get them like seven days, maybe, if we're lucky. I mean, that would be like the maximum time we have it before we start shooting. Um, sometimes it's like the day before. So what I'm saying, like, things keep changing two weeks on the same material, you just don't get as much time, right, on your character, on your scene work... And a lot of the times you don't know where your character's going, which is fine, because your character doesn't know where they're going to a certain extent. But it's nice to see things like fleshed out. Like, there's something to be said about like seeing a full round. But then again, you know, acting on the spot and being instinctual and sort of, um, living with what you have is a diffferent technique and a different, um, creative expression as well."

-- On what makes a good TV actor and what makes her think that a person is good when they come to set that you can discernibly see, EBR: "Well, I think, always choices. As long as someone knows their material and they're making choices about like where their character is... If I ask how you are and you say, 'good,' are you really - are you actually good? Are you like hiding something from me? If someone comes with those types of choices and is a good listener and sort of works off you, and you work off them, then you really know that somebody is present, to a certain extent. You don't want somebody who is rigid and maybe stuck to certain, um - you know, like if somebody had been working with a piece of tape forever and then they talk to another person like they're talking to a piece of tape, it's a little different, right? You want to make sure that piece of tape is acting like a human... And I think it can get a little structured."

-- EBR: "When I first got into Arrow, I just knew nothing about the technical aspects of it. Like, I didn't know what a button on the end of the scene was. I didn't know what, you know, how specific my marks were supposed to be, or those sort of things in continuity, and I'm still not great at continuity, but that's almost a choice, which people don't like... I talk so much with my hands, so I get in trouble sometimes... 'Your hand was here when you said that.' I'm like, 'I will not remember that.' 'Cause now the scene's changing, and there's something different. So I'm trying to a certain extent. I'd like to meet halfway. But there are technical aspects to television. It's a machine, right?"

-- When talking about buttons on the end of scenes, EBR: "Things that are soap opera-y and that sort of thing usually have buttons."

-- EBR: "It was super weird to get an action figure of myself. That was strange. It's still strange. She also doesn't really look like me. And she has an extra set of hands, which I don't have obviously... I asked. I was like, 'why does Felicity have an extra set of hands?' And they're like, 'it's her typing fingers.' And I was like, 'so regular hands, typing hands.' They're not that much different... Give her a computer as an accessory, not an extra set of hands."

-- On whether there's a discernible difference between Canadian actors like her and SA versus American actors, EBR: "No, not really. I mean, like, there's some differences, yeah. I mean, Stephen and I are very good friends on top of just working together. But since we've now worked together for so long... There's certain things. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint them, though... Just culturally, you know... I mean, we're not that far north." Interviewer: "Are you guys nicer?" EBR: "Sure. Yeah. Of course." Interviewer: "Less demanding on set?" EBR: "Oh, f**k yeah." Interviewer: "Is Stephen demanding on set?" EBR: "No. No. I'm more demanding. But I make him make all my demands. No, I'm just kidding." (Laughs) 

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

I'm still not great at continuity, but that's almost a choice, which people don't like... 

Lol, that just reminds me how in the crossover for the Supergirl episode coverage they had to go back and make sure that she was wearing Oliver's jacket because EBR just randomly decided to wear Oliver's jacket in the Arrow coverage.

Share Post

My question is was that dress unzipped in the courtroom scenes when she was sitting? 

I think it's really good that she takes acting classes, but I also believe people who have been longer in the business and have reached more acclaim also do. I didn't find that surprising. 

Share Post

I really enjoyed that interview. I'm glad that he didn't try to spend most of the time just talking about Arrow and she actually got to talk about several things.

Share Post

56 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Lol, that just reminds me how in the crossover for the Supergirl episode coverage they had to go back and make sure that she was wearing Oliver's jacket because EBR just randomly decided to wear Oliver's jacket in the Arrow coverage.

I remember that but I don't think they had to go back, did they? I thought the director said he just had to make sure that when they were shooting the scenes she had the jacket. Weren't they filming out of order?

Share Post

2 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I thought the director said he just had to make sure that when they were shooting the scenes she had the jacket. Weren't they filming out of order?

Yeah, that's what I meant. They had to add it to their continuity for a scene that wasn't even in his episode.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

A CTV interview with Emily done by the Real Bethany Snow on Arrow https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1423095 

Another good one. I know she doesn't like doing press but her interviews are always so great! (Also, I'm loving the strawberry blonde hair.)

Share Post

THIS 100% - from the above-posted Fangirlish review of S6...

There are not enough angry words in the English dictionary for me to describe how much I hated this whole OTA vs. NTA shit. Well, how I hated NTA because OTA was just standing there wondering what the f*** was happening and who the hell these people thought they were getting this superiority complex. This is an NTA issue, not an OTA one. But these producers were so determined to have the team split — into the good side and the bad side — and have this feud that was laughable beyond measure because it was like Chanel (OTA) vs. Walmart (NTA). Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle are the reason these newbies are here, Oliver especially. They gave them a chance to be something greater than themselves. They gave them a chance to be heroes. But heroes have to be selfless, which NTA was not. Can we focus on the fact that it was Rene that started this whole mess? How he betrayed Oliver by turning him into the FBI as the Green Arrow? Are you freaking kidding me? And yet, he tried to paint himself as the victim here. He and Curtis criticized Oliver whenever they had a damn line in this show. It was disgusting and infuriating to listen to these boneheads whine. Not to mention whatever this show was trying to go for with this whole “sympathy toward NTA” was stupid from the start. No one ever gave a damn about them. It’s like they never realized that. The heart and soul of this show is Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle. Nothing could or will ever change that.
The worst villain — not Big Bad, villain — that Arrow or the Arrowverse has ever given us. What an absolute joke Ricardo Diaz, the Dragon, was. If I were the character’s creator, I’d be personally offended. You mean you took Cayden James, who was a great villain, away from us for this garbage? A whiny, spineless, punk ass loser who only knows how to cower in fear and pretend that he’s intimidating. How these characters — especially someone like Black Siren — was ever afraid of this guy is laughable. But it goes back to the former showrunners, who had no idea what they were doing with this guy. A Big Bad should be someone that is capable of taking on Oliver Queen. Someone that is worthy of Oliver Queen. Diaz was neither. Oliver could’ve and should’ve defeated him with one hand. This show tried so hard to force this narrative that Diaz was a viable threat that it blew up in their faces. Ah, look, more “plot over character” garbage. The worst thing about this whole thing is that Diaz isn’t dead, and this finale showed him alive as if hinting that there’s a possibility that he could come back. I’m done. Just done.
Can you believe there was an entire episode devoted to this loser? Can you believe other, more worthwhile villains didn’t get that luxury? But I know you can believe that I fell asleep during this episode as there were really one two minutes that mattered — and a minute of half of them involved Oliver’s entire 90 seconds in this episode — ON HIS OWN SHOW. I had no desire to see any more of the few minutes I was forced to sit through of this poor excuse of a villain. He’s seriously an embarrassment to villains everywhere. He wasn’t intimidating or threatening or even capable of coming off something other than a joke. Even when he tried to yell and be intimidating it felt like a comedy. What a joke. So the fact I had to sit through so much of this guy was just disgusting. That’s time I’ll never get back.

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

This was something that we deserved back in season 4 before these producers thought it was a good idea to throw senseless drama their way and have them broken up for a season and a half. Watching a married couple navigate the ups and downs of life isn’t boring. It’s far more exciting than the contrived drama this show has been spewing out.

Yes.  As usual, I agree with just about everything she says.  She's more optimistic about Oliver in prison than I am. though

Share Post

Arrow star Juliana Harkavy in Perth for Supanova
June 22nd, 2018, 03:30PMWritten by Julian Wright
https://www.communitynews.com.au/eastern-reporter/lifestyle/arrow-star-juliana-harkavy-in-perth-for-supanova/

Speaking to Community News ahead of her visit, the actress who plays masked vigilante the Black Canary could not contain her excitement.

“This will be my first time in Australia; I have always wanted to come,” she said.

“I love the beach so I want to get out and lay on the beach, and I love animals so I want to see a koala, though I have heard they can be dangerous.”

But most of her time Down Under will be spent with fans of her show Arrow, which is going into its seventh season.

Harkavy recalled when she found out she secured the coveted role.

“I was shocked beyond belief because I knew it would be a big role,” she said.

“When I got the call, my husband and I were in a mall in LA and I started sobbing there in the middle of the mall.

“It didn’t feel real at the time.

“I had been acting for nine years and this was a huge opportunity.”

She said couldn’t even treat herself immediately after getting the news.

“I didn’t have the money at the time to treat myself, but the role was the treat,” she said.

“I just went home and cried more.”

Supanova is at the Perth Exhibition and Convention centre until June 24.

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post