The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

3 hours ago, quarks said:

The Supernatural cast, who are on legacy contracts to begin with, apparently re-negotiate every year. 

What are legacy contracts? Do they have anything to do with Supernatural starting on the WB before it became The CW?

Share Post

1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

What are legacy contracts? Do they have anything to do with Supernatural starting on the WB before it became The CW?

Yep. The CW inherited Supernatural back in 2006 - they didn't purchase it. Because Supernatural is a legacy show, it isn't subject to the same base contract rates and stipulations negotiated for the other CW shows, and undergoes separate negotiations - meaning that day players on Supernatural can earn a slightly different fee than day players on Jane the Virgin and Arrow, who earn the same fee despite being on shows produced by different production companies in different countries. 

Share Post

19 minutes ago, quarks said:

Yep. The CW inherited Supernatural back in 2006 - they didn't purchase it. Because Supernatural is a legacy show, it isn't subject to the same base contract rates and stipulations negotiated for the other CW shows, and undergoes separate negotiations - meaning that day players on Supernatural can earn a slightly different fee than day players on Jane the Virgin and Arrow, who earn the same fee despite being on shows produced by different production companies in different countries. 

That probably explains why I read that Jensen and Ackles are on like $175 000 an Ep while Stephen and Grant are on $35 000 an Ep. 

Share Post

49 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

That probably explains why I read that Jensen and Ackles are on like $175 000 an Ep while Stephen and Grant are on $35 000 an Ep. 

With the caveat that I know nothing about their specific contracts, I think their rumored per episode salaries for Supernatural's leads come more from a) ongoing negotiated raises and b) post-view residuals/licensing fees, not the base negotiated salary.

Largely because that base salary for major role performers on Supernatural this season is a little under $9000 per episode.

Share Post

I had it in my head that  Grant and Stephen were making a lot more money than that.  I have no idea where I got this, but I thought I read that Stephen was paid $2 million a year which breaks down to $75 -$100k per episode. If Grant and Stephen are making $35k an episode, I wonder how much the other regulars are paid?  I'm sure they got EBR for cheap for at least 3 years if not more, but scaling down from $35k, I wonder what experienced actors like David Ramsey, Willa or Candice are making? Just curious, as like many people I assume that TV stars just roll around on a bed of money.

Edited by thegirlsleuth.

Share Post

According to TV Guide, Stephen started out at $30k per ep though I wonder if he’s been bumped up since syndication (even with his original contract). Of course, that fan convention article he hated in THR suggested he makes up to $250k per weekend, so he’s doing fine. 

Share Post

I believe it's fairly common for actors to get raises before their contracts are up so I think he probably makes more then 30k now.

Share Post

45 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I believe it's fairly common for actors to get raises before their contracts are up so I think he probably makes more then 30k now.

Considering the CW is notoriously cheap I wouldn't be so certain. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I had it in my head that  Grant and Stephen were making a lot more money than that.  I have no idea where I got this, but I thought I read that Stephen was paid $2 million a year which breaks down to $75 -$100k per episode. If Grant and Stephen are making $35k an episode, I wonder how much the other regulars are paid?  I'm sure they got EBR for cheap for at least 3 years if not more, but scaling down from $35k, I wonder what experienced actors like David Ramsey, Willa or Candice are making? Just curious, as like many people I assume that TV stars just roll around on a bed of money.

Well, some TV stars - hello, cast of Big Bang Theory! - are rolling round on a bed of money, but that tends to be the exception, not the rule.  In terms of most CW regulars - definitely not. Sure, a few of the more name/recognized actors are presumably doing ok, and the original Supergirl cast members came in on only slightly reduced CBS salaries. But otherwise, no. The base salary for a CW actor filming fewer than five days in an eight day filming period is $3,320 per episode, before fees and taxes. For a 23 episode show, that's under $80,000 per year - assuming they are credited for all 23 episodes. That does go up for actors filming more than five days in an eight day filming period - but CW shows are notorious for scheduling actors so that they only have to come in for a portion of the filming schedule to avoid having to pay the higher "major role" base rates. And yes, that includes actors credited as regulars, but paid as weekly, non "major role" performers. 

Share Post

34 minutes ago, quarks said:

Well, some TV stars - hello, cast of Big Bang Theory! - are rolling round on a bed of money, but that tends to be the exception, not the rule.  In terms of most CW regulars - definitely not. Sure, a few of the more name/recognized actors are presumably doing ok, and the original Supergirl cast members came in on only slightly reduced CBS salaries. But otherwise, no. The base salary for a CW actor filming fewer than five days in an eight day filming period is $3,320 per episode, before fees and taxes. For a 23 episode show, that's under $80,000 per year - assuming they are credited for all 23 episodes. That does go up for actors filming more than five days in an eight day filming period - but CW shows are notorious for scheduling actors so that they only have to come in for a portion of the filming schedule to avoid having to pay the higher "major role" base rates. And yes, that includes actors credited as regulars, but paid as weekly, non "major role" performers. 

Wow. I had no idea. I mean, I knew TBBT folks were some kind of exception, but I really assumed that actors who were regulars on TV shows we’re making more than 80K/year. Not that that’s not a very good salary, but given the lifestyles many actors - even not big name actors - seem to lead, I assumed more were rolling around on at least cots of money.

Share Post

If your on a major network and on a decent show you'l probably end up making at least 100k somewhere down the road. But that is why promoting products on IG has become such a big thing with them, some make more money for copying and pasting a sentence then acting on a show.

Share Post

Well maybe that explains why the TV actors do so many Cons. Depending on how popular they are they can make a good amount for a weekend from those. 

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Well maybe that explains why the TV actors do so many Cons. Depending on how popular they are they can make a good amount for a weekend from those. 

Yep - and it turns into a kinda sick system, if you ask me: TV actors grab genre roles so that they can do the con circuit between gigs (periods which can last for a year or a lot more - periods where the actors aren't earning anything) - which in term makes them willing to take the genre roles at rock bottom contract prices, which in turn makes them desperate for con gigs, which in turn.....you can see where this is going.

I'm not saying all genre actors end up going this route, but it happens.

And yes, a number of celebrities are supplementing their incomes through Instagram. 

Share Post

'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell To Be Involved In Another Wrestling Event With Cody Rhodes
By Damian Seeto  01/11/2018 
http://emptylighthouse.com/arrow-star-stephen-amell-be-involved-another-wrestling-event-cody-rhodes-533886073

Since Cody Rhodes left the WWE in 2016, Amell has not been really that involved with professional wrestling until now. Rhodes has organized his own wrestling event called 'All In 2018' and Amell will be a part of the show.

Amell confirmed his involvement on the show via his official Twitter account. The event will take place on September 1st, 2018 and will star some of the hottest stars in the wrestling industry today.

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

It's always interesting to see how some site writers report/interpret the same news...'

Arrow's Stephen Amell Says It Was Always Going to Be Oliver and Felicity
By NICOLE DRUM - January 13, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/13/stephen-amell-olicity-arrow/

The relationship between Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak is one that can be divisive among fans of The CW's Arrow. While there are many who dislike the pairing, still others have been cheering for the couple since nearly the very beginning of the series and now, the show's star says that Olicity was always going to happen.

During an appearance at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in Portland, Oregon today, Amell told fans that there never was another plan for who Oliver would end up with romantically.

"In our show, it was Oliver and Felicity, and it was going to be them no matter what," Amell said.

For fans of the couple, this may not seem like news considering how popular the pairing has been since they first became a couple at the start of Arrow's third season. The show spent the next two seasons bringing the characters together only to have them break up with a lot of unresolved feelings and tensions between them before finally settling the issue during the final moments of this season's four-show crossover. During the last hour of "Crisis on Earth-X," the pair decide to get married alongside The Flash's Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Iris West (Candice Patton) in an impromptu post-Nazi invasion ceremony -- a move that some fans and even characters themselves weren't happy about. In fact, Arrow fans were so upset with not just how the wedding was handled, but that it had taken place at all that the show's Subreddit briefly turned its support to Marvel's Netflix series The Punisher in protest.

While Amell's comments are unlikely to settle the Olicity issue for fans of the show, the couple being married and definitively together is likely a positive thing for Arrow. With the characters irrevocably together and the relationship settled, the "will they or won't they" drama that many feel cluttered the story in earlier seasons is gone giving the show's writers and producers the opportunity to look for new sources of drama -- including the fracturing of Team Arrow at the end of the midseason finale which couldn't come at a worse time. This season's big bad Cayden James (Michael Emerson) has teamed up with a number of villains to go after Green Arrow, a grouping that Emerson told ComicBook.com was like an "axis of evil."

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

While Amell's comments are unlikely to settle the Olicity issue for fans of the show, the couple being married and definitively together is likely a positive thing for Arrow.

I'm going WTF and LOL at the same time.

Share Post

So once again, Olicity fans aren't considered Arrow fans, lol.  Sure.  Whatever bro.  

Share Post

I had to go back to Comicbook.com and GreenArrowTV because I never realized until after reading this article that those sites never included what prompted Stephen to say this. And they were interpreting the response in a very weird way, claiming that Olicity was the plan from day one or something similar. This one provided a bit more of the con question and answer.

Share Post

^^^ Thanks for that. Yep, people seized on the SA quote and then put their own spin on it.

I really wish I could find video of this portion of SA's panel at HVFF-Portland, but so far, no luck.

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

'Arrow' EP on Why Oliver Queen Is the Darkest Hero in the Arrowverse
By NICOLE DRUM - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/16/arrow-marc-guggenheim-oliver-darkest-arrowverse-hero/

But among them, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow (Stephen Amell) always seems to be the darkest -- and we don't just mean because he spent a large swath of Arrow's first five seasons brooding. With Oliver, the darkness is more than just his personality and that's something that the show's executive producer, Marc Guggenheim acknowledges. In a recent interview with ComicBook.com, Guggenheim explained that the darkness is "the essence" of Oliver Queen.

"To me, the essence of the character really goes back to the pilot," Guggenheim said. "The fact that at the end of act one, he had his hand around his mother's throat. And at the end of act two, he killed a guy by breaking his neck."
Over time, Oliver has gotten further away from the grim, dark violence of his early vigilante career -- working with a team instead of alone, moving away from killing, considering consequences -- but he is still the hero most likely to reach back into his dark past and it's something that Guggenheim says makes him the darkest among his Arrowverse counterparts.

"And of all the characters in the Arrowverse, he is the hero who is the least predictable and who is willing to go to the much darker places than any of the other characters are willing to go," Guggenheim explained.

Edited by tv echo.

Share Post

On 1/15/2018 at 2:31 PM, SmallScreenDiva said:

I had to go back to Comicbook.com and GreenArrowTV because I never realized until after reading this article that those sites never included what prompted Stephen to say this. And they were interpreting the response in a very weird way, claiming that Olicity was the plan from day one or something similar. This one provided a bit more of the con question and answer.

Ha!  This a quote from GATV

Sorry, Laurel, Sara, McKenna, Helena, Shado, Susan, and Slade. You never had a chance.

Share Post

What, they forgot Barry?  Don't they know how many Oliver/Barry fic there are out there?

Share Post

5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

What, they forgot Barry?  Don't they know how many Oliver/Barry fic there are out there?

Fun fact: there are more than twice as many Oliver/Barry fics (1103) as there are Oliver/Laurel fics (410) on AO3. 

Edit: Because I was bored, here are the numbers for fics in the Oliver/??? tag on AO3 (when not logged in):

Oliver/Felicity: 9884
/Barry: 1103
/Laurel: 410
/Tommy: 313
/Sara: 261
/Slade: 169
/Diggle: 143
/Thea: 105
/Kara: 57
/Nyssa: 40
/Quentin Lance: 36
/Helena: 29
/Shado: 25
/McKenna: 18
/Susan: 18

And the Dinah Lance/Oliver Queen tag: 370

Edited by lemotomato.

Share Post

10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

There were 18 with Susan?????

Lol gives you nightmares doesn't it😂

I want to know how many genuine Raylicity fics there are without Ray turning into or is a murderous maniac! I've never found any!

Share Post

19 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I bet she's evil or broken up with early on in at least 17 of them.

Share Post

I really hope those Oliver/Thea fics are just sibling fics. Because if not, 🤢🤮.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I have never looked myself (too scared) but apparently some are actual romantic fics.

Haha you can thank Laurel and her anti chemistry with Oliver for those fics 😂

Share Post

13 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Haven't looked at them myself, but Queencest was a thing, very early on.  I remember a lot of comments from those who saw a rather inappropriate level of chemistry between SA and WH early in the show. Add that to the total lack thereof between SA and KC, and there was Queencest.  

Share Post

59 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'd almost feel bad that Poppy didn't rate a single fic except I can barely remember her actual name on the show.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Haven't looked at them myself, but Queencest was a thing, very early on.  I remember a lot of comments from those who saw a rather inappropriate level of chemistry between SA and WH early in the show. Add that to the total lack thereof between SA and KC, and there was Queencest.  

Ah the early days of Arrow. I remember people genuinely debating whether to support the show pulling a Lannister. Then Felicity came along and the debate was settled. 

Share Post

20 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah, I remember being baffled because I never saw any romantic chemistry between them. But you're right that they probably are Queencest fics. I definitely won't be clicking to check, LOL.

Share Post

I really hope those Oliver/Thea fics are just sibling fics. Because if not, 🤢🤮

Nope, Lauriver was such a turn off and had so little chemistry people went all in on incest fics with Oliver/Thea in S1. 

It didn't help that SA/Willa have a nice chemistry and Willa may have (unintentionally) played up an attraction.

Edited by Morrigan2575.

Share Post

2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I'd almost feel bad that Poppy didn't rate a single fic except I can barely remember her actual name on the show.

I all but forgot about poppy. lol her name was Taiana. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

One still shows up in one of my feeds.  😬

Share Post

3 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Yeah, I remember being baffled because I never saw any romantic chemistry between them. But you're right that they probably are Queencest fics. I definitely won't be clicking to check, LOL.

If memory serves, the big moment came in episode five - a moment where Thea (or Willa Holland) was rubbing Oliver's leg as they were sitting on the couch.  

Some people on Television Without Pity thought this was mildly inappropriate and that Willa Holland should dial it back. Others wondered if Amell and Holland had started sleeping together.

And still others started writing Queencest fics.

Share Post

I do remember getting some early unwanted vibes.  I was very happy when Thea started dating Roy.  

Share Post