EHG Mark I

How do I listen to the original Extra Hot Great? I'm guessing it was deleted because they wanted to just have this Mark II, but sometimes things are referenced to it, sometimes I feel like the EHG panelists assume everyone is a returning fan from back then, and I just really love listening to EHG and want more full episodes to sink my teeth into! Pop Culture Happy Hour was what I was obsessed with for the past summer and first semester of my sophomore year and now am into EHG because I finished all the PCHH's. But now I finished all the EHGs!

Share Post

It's not a Mark I vs II at all. It's just a PITA it put back up. Podcasting host plans are priced for as-you-go-along predictable additions. Last I checked to put the backlog up on the service would be +$500 and that was before we finished Mark I's full run.

I don't want to put them on BitTorrent as you can't really put the genie back in the bottle after that.

Sometimes I throw a specific request on Dropbox for someone to download but that's not really practical for the whole run.

Share Post

I have it mirrored on my office computer, which can handle getting it to a few people once in a while but not to a deluge, so I'd rather not post it publicly. Since this forum doesn't seem to have private messaging, shoot me an email to get the link: my name at gmail.

(Dave, I'm assuming this is okay?)

Share Post

Actually, I'll just put it here; no need to email me. It's not going to be super-reliable and please don't hit it too hard – it's just the machine that sits on my desk. (On a university internet connection, though, not some crappy home upload line.) If it gets too much traffic I'll take it down. Subject to void without warning, etc etc.

You can:

Share Post

...but sometimes things are referenced to it, sometimes I feel like the EHG panelists assume everyone is a returning fan from back then...

Hopefully you'll get the podcasts from Dougal but there's a lexicon of stuff and might help plus you can always ask us! :)

Share Post

Thank you so much Dougal!  I never knew about the podcast in its original run and there are a ton of canon submissions and Game Times that have been mentioned that I'm really interested to hear.

Share Post

Wow, I did not know about those fees, that's whack. Thank you so much Dougal! Much appreciated! My brain can't even wrap around the content I have now, I am so pumped! And thank you too Dave, I will def look at that lexicon and ask you guys if needed, that's very helpful! This has been successful!

Share Post

This treasure trove of old EHGs is changing my freaking life.

Share Post

Oh this is fantastic. I was just thinking the other day that I really wanted to listen to the episode where Joe and Mark get super into Jeopardy and all of the rules that go along with watching it. I loved that one. And the game time for that episode was hilarious too.

Share Post

Thanks Dougal! Every time the previuos iteration of the podcast gets mentioned on the current EHGs, I mentally kick myself for not saving them.

Share Post

Listening to the ehg crew gush over the premiere of Walking Dead is like listening to a Shakespearian tragedy.

Share Post

Actually, I'll just put it here; no need to email me. It's not going to be super-reliable and please don't hit it too hard – it's just the machine that sits on my desk. (On a university internet connection, though, not some crappy home upload line.) If it gets too much traffic I'll take it down. Subject to void without warning, etc etc.

You can:

Thanks, Dougal -- I've been going back and listening to all the Mark I EHGs, and it's great! I don't know what I'll have as the soundtrack to my life after I've listened to all of them. 

Share Post

This was down for a while for stupid reasons, but it's back now.

Share Post

Just wanted to thank Dougal as well! I just found this and will enjoy listening to these older ones. Much appreciated!

Share Post

I also would like to thank Dougal! I just downloaded the zip file and am looking forward to diving in.

Share Post

I miss the "Is This Worse Than Jazz?" segment. About halfway through the opening riff, I start giggling along with one or more of the panelists. It's quite an ingenious composition.

Share Post

I just finished listening to all the Mark I podcasts, and the last episode made me a little sad, even though I know that the podcasts come back.

Share Post

Oh wow. Excellent.

Right to episode 13 for me.  Because, of course that's what I would do. 

And I'm just 19 minutes in and would like to say that I agree with Tara that it probably is the best episode of The Simpsons and with Dave that my favorite part of the whole Duff Gardens thing was Homer's defense of the sandwich.  "Six more feet and I can fit it in the fridge!" leaves my mouth every time I see a giant sandwich.

Every. Time.

Share Post

Just found this topic and I'm so glad I did. Currently on maternity leave and have a lot of time for podcasts. Thanks Dougal!

Share Post

Thanks so much Dougal! I've been missing a while that old mini about documentaries where Dave accidentally calls Michael Moore Roger, and the whole thing ends up dissolving into laughter. Seriously, there's intentional comedy, and there;s things like this that are just gold.

Share Post

I know this is a super old post and I doubt you even check it anymore, but thank you so much for making the original podcast available, Dougal. I've been having such a great time listening to it over the past week, and it's really nice to finally be able to listen to The Canon submissions that I could see listed on The Canon page but couldn't actually access. After listening to the current EHG podcast for so long, it's still a little weird to listen to Mark I and not hear Sarah on it regularly (sometimes I'll be like "huh, Sarah is being really quiet-- oh wait") but I absolutely love being able to listen Joe on almost every ep, so it balances out. The ep where he and Mark talked about college jeopardy and discussed the contestants they hated (and had crushes on) was hysterical. It's also very funny in hindsight to hear the several early episodes where Tara talked about how much she didn't want to get a dog 

Edited by salmondean.

Share Post

On 12/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, salmondean said:

but I absolutely love being able to listen Joe on almost every ep, so it balances out

Did you get to the one where Joe puts an SNL episode forward for the canon, and in the process talks himself out of it? To me that's the defining moment of Mark I. (The defining moment of Mark II, since no one asked, is the one where everyone has to watch Under the Dome, and Sarah takes personal umbridge at the fact that it even exists.)

Share Post

7 hours ago, Stowaway said:

Did you get to the one where Joe puts an SNL episode forward for the canon, and in the process talks himself out of it? To me that's the defining moment of Mark I. (The defining moment of Mark II, since no one asked, is the one where everyone has to watch Under the Dome, and Sarah takes personal umbridge at the fact that it even exists.)

lol, I actually just listened to that one earlier this afternoon!! I had to pause it at a couple of points to regain my composure because I was at work.

The way that Joe eventually began to criticize the episode more than anyone else while Dave and Tara periodically yelled "what are you doing???" as he continued to sabotage himself and the way he defended himself by saying"this is an experimental canon submission!"was so funny. I almost lost it when he was finally like "I'm not voting for this." 

I also totally didn't realize that Joe was the one who originally came up with the "Will Dave Hate This?" segment! Such a fun recurring part of the show. 

That Under the Dome thing was also very funny, as was any time they discussed the show and Tara would have an emotional breakdown over how stupid it was and how much she hated recapping it

Edited by salmondean.

Share Post

I jump around a bit when listening to the podcast, so I heard a few references in future eps (in the successful Mr. Show and failed Kids in the Hall submissions I think) to the time that Joe submitted an SNL ep to the canon and promptly talked himself out of it, so I was so excited when I actually got to the ep and it didn't disappoint! I also remember hearing a reference or two to a GI Joe centric episode that people apparently complained about, but I got to it yesterday and thought it was super funny. Cold Slither, jesus christ. 

Share Post