S02.E04: International Week

The seven remaining bakers push themselves with challenges that feature flavours, textures and techniques from around the world.

Original air date: 10/10/18

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo.

Share Post

Mengling was very lucky that Sadia had a bad week...but to me it seemed as though Sadia lost her spark...

Share Post

I loved Mengling's bees. That whole sculpture was adorable.

I probably would've been right there with Sadiya ... my mind has never been good with anything 3D. I would've been at a loss about what to do.

Share Post

Oh, Sadiya. I was so sad to see her go, but I couldn't justify them sending anyone else home. That leaves me rooting 100% for Mengling, because I just can't warm up to any of the other bakers for some reason. I might get there eventually with Devon, if he lasts that long.

The mochi technical looked cool, and appropriately difficult (even if there wasn't any actual baking). I'm not a fan of red bean paste, so I don't want to eat them, but they were fun to look at. None of the signature hand pies appealed to (vegetarian) me. I couldn't imagine what S-cookie tastes like, but the showstopper sculptures were fun. Mengling's bees were really cute. Megan deserved Star Baker, hers was really impressive.

Share Post

I'm usually pretty neutral on the bits that the hosts do at the beginning of the show (for all Bake Off shows, not just the Canadian version) but for some reason, the black and white Italian movie made me laugh.

How are hand pies international?

Megan's hamburger hand pies with short crust lard pastry, Alberta beef, bacon, and moose meat sounded good. She gets bonus points for including french fries! Rochelle said that Megan's secret sauce was good enough to bottle we got absolutely no description about it at all. Tell me what it tasted like!

Mengling's pan fried pork xian bing with wheat flour dumpling dough, ground beef, mushroom, vegetables, and spicy soy and vinegar dipping sauce sounded delicious. I can't lie. I was judging Rochelle for pronouncing gyoza as guy-OH-za.

Sadiya's beef fatayer with soft yeasted dough, mint, and cilantro tamarind chutney were very international with Bahraini dough, Pakistani filling, and Arab/Pakistani sauce!

Andrei's mini koulibiaka with butter pastry, salmon, dill, bean vermicelli, and cucumber relish looked great. I was impressed that the salmon didn't dry out while baking.

Devon's bibimbap hand pies with butter pastry, bulgogi, crispy rice, quail egg, and spicy Korean ketchup sounded so yummy.

Sachin's pork samosas with wheat flour wrappers, peas, potatoes, and mint chili pepper chutney had the perfect amount of filling. I hate when any kind of pie is half empty. He was smart to use shredded potato as a binder.

Hahaha, I laughed when Timothy said that his bakes are usually ugly. His spring roll hand pies with short crust pastry, ground pork, and sweet and sour sauce sounded really good.

I don't love mochi but if you stuff an enire strawberry inside that I'm all over it! What I liked about this technical challenge is that all the bakers were on pretty even footing since none of the had made daifuku mochi before. If I have learned anything from watching various Bake Off shows, ALWAYS READ THE DIRECTIONS FOR THE TECHNICAL CHALLENGE. Even if you know what it is, your recipe is not necessarily the same as the recipe that the judges have given you! If Mengling hadn't made disastrous mochi, Devon would have been in last place because he didn't bother to read the directions. Sachin, Timothy, and Megan all did a great job though!

A cookie sculpture doesn't seem super international. Or much like a showstopper. But I guess I'm okay with the judges giving the bakers a lot of leeway in this challenge similar to the signature challenge.

Mengling's beehive with orange blossom cookie dough, florentine wings, and pistachio biscotti flowers was a cute idea but I wish the beehive had been taller to make it look more like a showstopper.

Devon's cardamom and orange blossom cactus with savoiardi snake, black sesame amaretti rocks looked pretty good. My least favorite part was the actual cactus. I liked the other elements though.

Timothy's bus with anisette walls, biscotti wheels, and florentine windows was a little plain looking and simple in structure, but the judges liked the look and the flavor so yay for Timothy.

Sadiya's ludo board made of rainbow cookies and s-cookie game pieces wasn't a sculpture. It was a flat square with some tiny cookie game pieces.

Megan's northern lights scene with maple walnut biscotti, lemon s-cookies, chocolate ricotta cookie dough mountain, and sugar wall was not my favorite, but I appreciated that she used so many different elements/flavors/textures/colors.

Sachin's lemon s-cookie sphinx with anise biscotti base was a fine idea but I think he should have made it taller to make it look fancier.

Andrei's fish with a vanilla pizzelle head and tail, ricotta cookie body, orange chocolate amaretti scales, and polenta s-cookie waves was a simple concept but I liked that he used cookies that would work well for each section of the fish.

Congratulations to Megan for being star baker this week! No one totally bombed all of the challenges this week so there wasn't a super obvious candidate to go home. I can understand why Sadiya was eliminated though. She really didn't fulfil the showstopper challenge and that's usually the thing the judges take into consideration the most.

Share Post

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Rochelle said that Megan's secret sauce was good enough to bottle we got absolutely no description about it at all. Tell me what it tasted like!

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Signature challenge - hand pies
Megan's hamburger hand pies

Megan included the recipe for her secret sauce! It's the homemade version of McDonald's Big Mac special sauce aka Thousand Island dressing.

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup French dressing
3 tbsp diced pickles
2 tbsp finely minced white onion
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Share Post

On 10/11/2018 at 10:14 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm usually pretty neutral on the bits that the hosts do at the beginning of the show (for all Bake Off shows, not just the Canadian version) but for some reason, the black and white Italian movie made me laugh.

How are hand pies international?

A cookie sculpture doesn't seem super international. 

I laughed at the B&W Italianate move too. 

I am curious about how you're defining "international".

Pretty much every cuisine has a version of a hand pie (cornish pasty, empanadas, samosas, etc.) and the same goes for cookies so I thought that was what was meant by "international" . 

Share Post

Clearly I don't get out much (+ I tell asleep during this episode).  Was "S" cookie ever explained?

Share Post

On 10/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, rhys said:

Clearly I don't get out much (+ I tell asleep during this episode).  Was "S" cookie ever explained?

It's a cookie in the shape of the letter "s", made with olive oil, eggs, flour, sugar, and lemon zest. They're very good.

Share Post