Ricky- Irrepressible Kid Bro

Turned Singing Teen Idol Before Garden Party and His Tragic End

Share Post

He was sure my tween heart throb - even wrote a song about me! My best friend growing up had the same first name. We saw each other at our 50th high school reunion in June. We laughed at how we about wore that 45 out playing it over and over. And of course someone couldn't resist walking up to us singing "Hello Mary Lou". We just looked at each other and rolled our eyes. If we had a dollar for every time that happened over the years!

Share Post

chessiegal,

It's a bit of an eye-opener watching him go  from a gawky preteen mouthing off to his bigger and taller older brother to shooting past David's (and Ozzie's) height and becoming a rather photogenic teen and young adult- to say nothing of unleashing singing ability that no one could have predicted when the show first started. Even Ozzie admitted that his younger son's star power significantly extended the show's longevity. Still, even though he did a fairly good job in Rio Bravo (1959), singing rather than acting was his passion.  I also have to wonder if Jerry Mathers or the tragic Rusty Hamer may have envied his fate of going from gawky to handsome instead of vice versa.

Edited by Blergh. Reason: handsome is

Share Post

here is a song i wrote as sorta a tribute to Rick Nelson. It's explained in the youtube video.

Share Post

pachebo,

Fairly good tribute but it does the question of how Rick would have coped had he actually lived to the current day! It's hard to imagine that he'd do much more than dine off his past laurels as Micky Dolenz has been doing for the last couple of decades.

Share Post