All Episodes Talk: Witches, Vampires and Demons, Oh My

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I'm surprised the relationship between Matthew and Diana is developing so quickly, but with only 8 episodes, I guess they had to push them together.

I haven't read the books, but I hope the story picks up and the characters get more interesting because I'm finding the show just ok so far.

Share Post

I'm up to episode 3 and I'm thinking that Alex Kingston is woefully underused as Diana aunt/guardian/whatever. Oxford looks pretty. Matthew's house was gorgeous, So far it's nice background tv. 

Share Post

What a riveting show, I can't wait for the next episode! I might have to find the book and read it.

Share Post

Weird coincidence for me; I'd been recommended the books and started reading them a few weeks ago and then suddenly find out a show was premiering. The same thing happened to me with Outlander. 

Enjoying it so far. I'm not deep enough into the books to have a solid grasp on what to expect. I really like the dude playing Matthew. 

Share Post

I picked this show up mainly because I know a number of the places where it was filmed and wanted to location-spot, I knew nothing whatsoever about what to expect of the show, I've never read the books. I'm finding it intriguing, though, more than enough to keep watching - I'm not overly keen on vampire stories, so this will never make it onto my major fandoms list, but I'm enjoying the story and characters so far.

Share Post

I just finished episode five. I find that I am liking it more and more, the further in we go. I had only read the first book, so I had a rough sense of what is to come. They have taken out some not so overly interesting subplots (that helped to develop Diana and Matthews' relationship) but I think that is probably a good thing. Much faster pace. Absolutely in love with the locations. I very much like the sense of place that you get with shows filmed anywhere in the U.K.

It is developing a good sense of the menace facing the couple. Special effects are subtle but it works. I hope it's such a success that they come out with another season. Now that Andrew Lincoln is free from The Walking Dead, it would be great to see him appear here!

Share Post

10 hours ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

I just finished episode five.

Episode five? Only four have aired so far. Typo...or are you a time traveller from the future come to tell us what to expect later this week?

Edited by Llywela.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Llywela said:

Episode five? Only four have aired so far. Typo...or are you a time traveller from the future come to tell us what to expect later this week?

I just saw it yesterday (streaming) in Canada. I also caught The Walking Dead season nine opener - maybe I have a fast browser! Anyway, it is very good. The castle is absolutely beautiful and at this point, I am enthralled with how they present magic so simply yet so pleasing to the eye. So much better than the book! (And I usually find the opposite)

Share Post

I find the premise interesting; a secret society of demons, witches, and vampires. It's an unusual mix so I'm looking forward to how they utilize each group. I'm also interested in the genetics angle.

I find the idea of an all-knowing ancient male stalking and controlling a much younger female to be unnerving and out of touch with everything that's going on in society today. However, Matthew Goode is so charismatic that I don't end up hating the character.

I hope Diana ends up making her own decisions and starts fighting back against Matthew's orders or I may have to jump ship.

I will say the dialogue is juvenile and borderline atrocious at times. For example after finding out that Matthew's mother has slaughtered covens and hundreds of witches, his response is "Her bark is worse than her bite." *eyeroll* yeah, okay. Sure.

The good thing about British shows are there aren't alot of filler episodes so each episode is about the overarching story. I'll find out pretty quickly whether or not I like the direction of the show so that's a positive.

Share Post

8 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I find the idea of an all-knowing ancient male stalking and controlling a much younger female to be unnerving and out of touch with everything that's going on in society today. However, Matthew Goode is so charismatic that I don't end up hating the character.

I hope Diana ends up making her own decisions and starts fighting back against Matthew's orders or I may have to jump ship.

That's exactly what I felt about the character in the book so I think you're right, it's Matthew Goode that makes the difference. He doesn't come across as a stalker, even though pretty much everyone else in the show says that's what he is doing. Matthew suggests that there is something else there thru body language alone. This is definitely Diana's story though so I don't think you need worry that she is like a character out of a Gothic romance. She stands up to his mother, she doesn't listen to Matthew and her wildly strong power and gradual control of it is earning her the respect of the vampires, witches and demons that initially thought she could just be manipulated or strongarmed into giving them the Book.

Share Post

Does anyone know when this will be shown in the US?  Ironically, I started the new book in the series (TIMES CONVERT) this afternoon at lunch, and when I came to PTV just now I noticed the addition of this series forum because it was at the top of the page. 

Share Post

On 10/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

That's exactly what I felt about the character in the book so I think you're right, it's Matthew Goode that makes the difference. He doesn't come across as a stalker, even though pretty much everyone else in the show says that's what he is doing. Matthew suggests that there is something else there thru body language alone. This is definitely Diana's story though so I don't think you need worry that she is like a character out of a Gothic romance. She stands up to his mother, she doesn't listen to Matthew and her wildly strong power and gradual control of it is earning her the respect of the vampires, witches and demons that initially thought she could just be manipulated or strongarmed into giving them the Book.

I think that was part of my problem: I don’t know what they’ve covered in the series, but it felt like a bit more sophisticated twilight. Which annoyed me. 

Share Post

Idk, Matthew's character in the book intrigued me. I just read book 1 earlier this year. He is the kind of vampire I think I'd be lol 

I always roll eyes at how vampires are portrayed to be partying and killing for years. Basically sex, drugs and rock and roll...

This take on learning, participating in historical events, hanging with the brightest minds of particular time... and drinking and collecting wine... yup, if I'm turned that's my plan for the next millennium. 

Diana did annoy me towards the end of the book a bit though 

Edited by vavera4ka.

Share Post

On 10/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

This is definitely Diana's story ...

I'm enjoying this so far but Diana is the weak link for me. The actress looks and seems too young to be a renowned/respected professor or researcher.

(Okay, I looked it up. She's 32 which is older than I thought but she still comes off as a bit unformed and milquetoast-y in this role. She's also Australian, which ... just let her be Australian.

Share Post

Sometimes her line reads come off a little flat for me but I'm laying that off on acting in a different accent than is her natural one. Her American accent is great but I'm sure it makes the acting harder. Her silent facial reactions are amazing, though. 

Share Post

On 10/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, vavera4ka said:

I always roll eyes at how vampires are portrayed to be partying and killing for years. Basically sex, drugs and rock and roll...

Matthew and Diana end up discussing this particular stereotype in one of the books.  I can't recall which one it is--perhaps the third one--but Matthew is horrified.  

I'm enjoying the show, and am trying to keep it separate from the books in my head.  I've read all of the novels, including Time's Convert, and hopefully this will bring more readers to the series.  The locations are gorgeous, and I really love the senses of place that we get.  I miss some of the subplots, though I understand why they had to be cut.  I'm looking forward to finally getting to Madison, as I love Alex Kingston, and so far, I think she and  Valarie Pettiford are closest to my imaginings of the characters they play.  Malin Buska is fantastically creepy/"plotty" as Satu, and I love Sorcha Cusack on Father Brown, so when I saw that she was going to play Marthe, I was excited.  Lindsay Duncan is great, too, so I'll forgive the fact that Ysabeau is supposed to look younger than Matthew because of the age at which she was reborn.  (Though, wow, it seems like the characters don't all use the same pronunciation of her name?)  And yeah, some of Theresa Palmer's lines sound "off" to me, but I also chucked that up to the fact that she's speaking with a different accent (and yes, doing a great job).  Speaking of accents, I'm so used to hearing AK use her own on Doctor Who, so it's so odd (but neat!) to hear her speak with an American accent.      

Share Post

I have to say though. that the casting hit the nail on the head with Matthew for me. That's about how I imagined him. Maybe slightly longer and sharper features. Diana for some reason was different. Idk if I got it wrong and just forgot, but I didn't see here as a blonde at all. And I imagined her a bit smaller framed. 

Domenico for me was Rufus Sewell in Dangerous Beauty. So I guess Zoroastr from Davinci Demons will do lol

What I got COMPLETELY wrong was the inside of the castle. I saw upholsteries, tall book cases, rich desk, velvet everywhere... not this Spartan medieval set up... Especially the office. Sitting room is a bit closer to what I imagined...

Share Post