S02.E01: Cake Week

Ten passionate bakers from across the country arrive to face three challenges for Cake Week.

Share Post

Think they should have let Timothy go instead of Tim. I'd guess that Tim just had a particularly bad weekend but has a lot of better bakes in him whereas Timothy is far more inexperienced and is likely to struggle. Can't remember names but it looks like they've got some very good bakers there. The spun sugar crown that the winner made was amazing and beautiful.

Share Post

Helpful link with contestant names/photos until we get used to them: Meet the bakers of The Great Canadian Baking Show Season 2

I also thought Timothy probably should have gone instead of Tim, but Tim really did have a bad weekend. I think I heard one of the judges say his showstopper cake was raw.

I found many of the contestants to be kind of... a lot, but I know I will be fond of them all in a couple of weeks. Devon, Megan, and Sachin are the ones I find particularly annoying right now. Megan's cake was really impressive, though.

I love Mengling, she's so cute.

Share Post

When a contestant on a baking show has never heard of French meringue it does not bode well for her baking experience. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, oldCJ said:

When a contestant on a baking show has never heard of French meringue it does not bode well for her baking experience. 

It's funny, as I had always thought of it just as a meringue, differentiated from the Italian and Swiss meringues. It took me a moment to understand what they meant by French meringue. Then again, I'm not on a baking show, so I can get away with my ignorance.

Share Post

Yay, I'm so excited that this show is back! I feel like a glutton because the new season of GBBO is airing simultaneously. Two bake off shows at once? SO AWESOME!

I wish all the other bake off shows would aprons with the bakers' names on them like they do in Canada. That helps so much in the early weeks!

Ann Marie's rosemary fig upside down cake looked nice with the fresh figs in a little pile on top for extra color. I wasn't sure about the rosemary but both the judges loved her cake so I'll take their word for it.

Wendy's sticky banana upside down cake with blueberry molasses and rum whipped cream looked like a messy pile of pancakes with a ton of white sauce dumped on top. It's a good thing it tasted so good.

Andrei may have taken an easier route with his sour cream and rhubarb parquet upside down cake but I liked that it looked so geometric and that it was very different from everyone else's.

Tim's triple berry lemon upside down cake with blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries looked very summery (maybe I'm just having end of summer regret) but I agree that there wasn't much air in the cake.

Timothy the trombone player's pear and lemon dark chocolate upside down cake sounded good but I have to agree with Rochelle - his knife skills are pretty atrocious. His cake would have looked so much nicer if the pear slices had been more uniform.

Devon's mango gingerbread upside down sandwich cake wasn't the prettiest I've seen but wow, the best cake Rochelle's tasted!

Mengling's apple pecan bourbon upside cake with maple caramel looked very colorful and pretty. I liked how surprised Rochelle sounded when she tasted the bourbon.

Sachin the dentist's pear and chai upside down cake looked very light so I wasn't sure if it was going to be underbaked.

Sadiya's pistachio cardamom cranberry upside cake was very striking with the bright green from the pistachio powder on top against the red from the cranberries.

Megan's mango berry upside down mint cheesecake with raspberries looked very colorful and pretty. I wasn't sure about the mint cheesecake with all the fruity flavors, but the judges loved it!

I've never made an orange chiffon cake but there was definitely a lot of variation in the finished cakes. Yay for Mengling and Sachin doing so well!

I kind of enjoy when they give the bakers these very easy generic challenges during the first week to give the bakers a lot of leeway to do well. Birthday cake translates to just make a cake so I was excited to see what everyone came up with.

Wendy's Anne of Green Gables chocolate and lemon cake with raspberry cordial frosting was pretty. The lace gave it a very delicate look.

Andrei's white and dark chocolate checkboard queen for a day cake with raspberry cream was so elegant! From the white frosting to the roses and the sugar work crown, it really looked like a birthday cake to celebrate with.

Hahaha, I loved that Mengling made a birthday cake for herself. Her blueberry lime naked cake with basil buttercream wasn't my favorite looking, but I really liked the height.

Ann Marie's stout and whiskey happy hour cake with pretzels was a good flavor combination but I hated the scraped icing on the side. I know that's a big trend now, but it just looks like a crumb coat to me.

Sadiya's jungle cake was a good idea (and her animals were cute) but it's too bad that she had to scrap the pinata part of her cake.

Devon's coconut matcha cake was nice but a bit too simple for my taste. The scalloped frosting was nice but I felt like he needed something with a wow factor. Maybe a more interesting color or something besides leaves.

Timothy's raisin spice phoenix cake looked a bit messy. I never would have been able to guess what his concept was. I agree with Bruno about how delicate the sugar feathers were, so kudos to him for that.

Tim's coconut chocolate ocean cake sounded like a great concept but it looked kind of flat/short for a three layer cake. Aww and it was raw inside. Poor guy.

Sachin's s'mores cake sounded good and although it waasn't the fanciest looking birthday cake I've ever seen, I liked that it looked like a s'mores cake. The candles gave it a nice height too.

I thought that Megan's chocolate and vanilla day of the dead cake was going to have a skull on top, not that the entire cake was going to be inside the skull.

Yay for Andrei winning star baker! I was fine with Tim being eliminated. Although during deliberation, they only mentioned his presentation skills being a problem, he had issues with the actual baking too. They said that his upside down cake didn't have enough air and was too dense and then his showstopper was raw on the inside and the filling was oozing out. On the other hand, the judges liked the flavors of Timothy's chocolate pear upside down cake and his phoenix showstopper. So what it sounded like to me was that both Tim and Timothy had some presentation issues but Timothy got praise for his flavors and Tim did not. I know this is a competition but it doesn't matter how good something looks if it doesn't taste good.

Share Post

See, this is why I don't apply for shows like this. I like to bake, but I probably would've stuck with a simple pineapple upside-down cake. That, and I kinda doubt I could get away with using a mix....

Share Post

On 2018-09-20 at 4:24 AM, shok said:

Think they should have let Timothy go instead of Tim. I'd guess that Tim just had a particularly bad weekend but has a lot of better bakes in him whereas Timothy is far more inexperienced and is likely to struggle. Can't remember names but it looks like they've got some very good bakers there. The spun sugar crown that the winner made was amazing and beautiful.

Don’t you know they need to keep the “young millennial” around no matter what train wrecks come out of his ovens!  This is CBC after all.

Share Post

I never watched S1 (only started watching GBBO last month) and so this is new to me. So far I'm really enjoying it.

I like to bake, but I have no actual knowledge aside from following a basic recipe, so I love learning about all these techniques and styles. I was all "there's more than one kind of meringue?!" lol.

I do want CBC to explain how they are perfectly capable of showing the technical bake here, but not when they air the British version. They literally told me on Twitter to watch it on their website for the technical bake - and then didn't have it separated out from the full episode.

Share Post

10 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I do want CBC to explain how they are perfectly capable of showing the technical bake here, but not when they air the British version. They literally told me on Twitter to watch it on their website for the technical bake - and then didn't have it separated out from the full episode.

Cut for time when they air the British one, maybe?

Share Post

Probably ... but it's like ... extend the show airing then? I just don't get why you'd take an iconic show and chop it. So weird. Plus, I love the technical bake lol.

Share Post