All Episodes Talk: Please Decontaminate Yourself Before Entering

I wondered what the hell kind of injections she was getting in her friend's apartment that also had the, what the hell was it? A sensory deprivation bed or something? 

Wasn't it some B12 thing? Basically the "hangover shot"? And I think it was some kind of bizarre inflatable hyperbaric chamber - and I just googled that shit and you can totally just buy one for home use. I also found one that you can buy specifically for pets - although apparently the home use one can fit two like a slumber party.

Share Post

45 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

Wasn't it some B12 thing? Basically the "hangover shot"?

Don't hold me to it, but I think it was glutathione? It did begin with a "G" so I think that's what it was. I looked it up and Wikipedia describes it as an "antioxidant" (OF COURSE) and also something that people apparently do via IV to lighten their skin tone despite absolutely no medical evidence to suggest it works.

I just want to know how her friend got a hold of that shit and why Star would be a-ok with some rando giving her injections but not an actual medical doctor doling out advice. 

Share Post

49 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I just want to know how her friend got a hold of that shit

I googled THAT just now (WHY are you leading me down these rabbit holes??) and apparently you get a vial online for about $150. So apparently literally anyone can buy it. And of course it does ALL of this, so why NOT allow non-medical professionals INJECT it into you?  

"A very powerful anti-oxidant whose benefits include its ability to fight free radical damage caused by stress, injury, infections, environmental factors, demanding workouts, or even a demanding schedule. It also improves visions health, prevents aging, strengthens the immune system, improves mental focus, prevents alcoholism, increases energy levels and detoxifies the liver."

The better question is, with all of these amazing benefits, why aren't we all just injecting it right left? Oh maybe because our bodies already produce it naturally. 

Edited by shockermolar. Reason: ETA: wtf are free radicals anyway

Share Post

1 hour ago, shockermolar said:

detoxifies the liver.

You know what would actually "detoxify" a liver? Not drinking, Star! Maybe she thinks by injecting that crap she'll have room for more alcohol? 

And MAN! I can't believe that regular folks can just go on the internet and buy this stuff. I also can't believe the idiots on this show who'll willingly take it. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, shockermolar said:

prevents aging, strengthens the immune system, improves mental focus, prevents alcoholism, increases energy levels and detoxifies the liver."

Yeah, right. That's all woo woo double talk right there. I'm surprised they didn't include "purifies the blood" and "balances the humours". Sheesh. I've studied herbal medicine in a very casual way, and lots of herbals are loaded with stuff like this. the Doctrine of Signatures (where you look at a plant and what it looks like tells you its use--like anything yellow is good for urinary ailments, and so on). WHY do people want to practice medicine like some sort of medieval serf? People died from common ailments back then! Why hang your hat on some quack herbal/alternative/new age "cure"?  I suppose the argument could be made that these people are desperate for answers and help, so they'll try anything. But to me they look more like those anti-vax weirdos. 

Share Post

24 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Why hang your hat on some quack herbal/alternative/new age "cure"?  I

Well, I guess when you have imaginary ailments, you'd want to seek out a "doctor" who'll provide you with an imaginary cure. It only makes sense, right?

I really hope there's an Afflicted Season 2. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I really hope there's an Afflicted Season 2. 

Oh god. LIVING for it. 

Share Post

When I was a teenager, if my mom thought she detected the slightest hint of hypochondria, malingering, or "woe is me" behavior, she would suggest a walk around the block.  It was her cure-all.  "Oh, you've been lying around all day, no wonder you feel bad--why don't you take a walk around the block?!"  At the time, it was maddening.  But watching Afflicted, I have never wanted to suggest so many walks around the block in my life.  I just feel like these "illnesses" can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Sitting around all day in your darkened bedroom, staring at the computer screen, trapped in an echo chamber of your own thoughts and those of like-minded internet denizens. . . . it can start to feel like an actual job.  Pretty soon, you are ensconced in your bed like Camille in her big death scene (looking at you, Jamison).

Although, in typing this, it occurs to me how *active* a lot of the Afflicted folks were.  Sure, they are expending most of their energy trying to prove that they are sick and traipsing all over creation for crackpot treatments.  But in their own way, they have way more energy and determination than I, a nominally healthy, admittedly fairly lazy, person have.  Huh.

Share Post