Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

If you close your eyes during the game, you can actually picture a Care Bear playing Jeopardy. That's the nicest thing I could think of. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, lurk3000 said:

If you close your eyes during the game, you can actually picture a Care Bear playing Jeopardy. That's the nicest thing I could think of. 

I'm sorry, but it seems like there's not something right.  Did you see the bunnies on her collar?  She's obviously very smart, but something doesn't compute...

Share Post

FJ was easy if you ever took Latin. Mel is honey. 6 years of Latin to the rescue. Emma is quite a player, Monday will be epic.

Share Post

46 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I'm sorry, but it seems like there's not something right.  Did you see the bunnies on her collar?  She's obviously very smart, but something doesn't compute...

I thought she was Wednesday Addams for a minute. 

Share Post

LOL at Alex using the opening to point out Maya’s FJ wager was a wholly unnecessary risk.  And bless him, trying to naturally bring Emma’s awkward interview to a close without just flat-out cutting her off, and then being genuinely amused by her “it teaches you to deal with difficult people” remark about learning how to milk goats having value in the workforce.  Also, can you imagine how much he must have loved reading the New Orleans clue?

As the game started, Emily wasn’t trying to ring in on as many clues as she had in her quarter-final game, so I wondered if my prediction for her success with her buzzer woes out of the way was off base, but she quickly returned to form; she has a broad knowledge base, I think the best of the finalists.  This was a good game, and I’m so excited by three girls in the finals.  Part of me is rooting for Maya, part for Emma, but I'll be happy with Claire, too.

Lords, I’m old, because I didn’t know a single answer in the music category.  In that first round, I didn’t know one of the fictional places, either.  I did better in the second round (I don't remember if I ran it, but I didn't miss many if I didn't) and I knew FJ, although it took some scrolling through my mental rolodex.

Rohan’s head slap at blood-curling instead of -curdling was great.  But I wish he hadn’t kept saying that entire category name; just say “Words for [$],” dude.  I found it interesting that all the answers at first were compound words, yet there was nothing about a hyphen in the category title, but then there was one in there that was that long on its own, I think.

I loathe the Cowboys, so the so-called "America's Team" being a TS made me guffaw.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

FJ was easy if you ever took Latin. Mel is honey. 6 years of Latin to the rescue. Emma is quite a player, Monday will be epic.

I think it was easy if you knew the meme "Honey badger don't care."

Besides that, I got the Cowboys and Cirque de Solei. (or however you spell it)

I like Emma. I like all three finalists.

Share Post

Glad for an all girl finals.  All very bright.  May turn out to be a race to the buzzer.  Good luck to all!

Share Post

Cowgirls was my only get tonight.  Like Bastet, I loathe the Cowgirls (especially after last Sunday's game).

I was unable to access honey badger from the part of my brain that holds useless information.

Maya for the win.  I trust she has received some lessons in wagering since her last game.

Edited by lb60.

Share Post

Another lifelong Cowboys hater here! Started watching football with Dad in the mid-70s, when the Bears were horrendous, so I started rooting for any major rival to Dallas. I still appreciate the Steelers and the Broncos. Other than their sheer dominance, I really hated those cheerleaders—I was delighted when Ditka got rid of the Bears’ cheerleaders.

Share Post

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think it was easy if you knew the meme "Honey badger don't care."

Besides that, I got the Cowboys and Cirque de Solei. (or however you spell it)

I like Emma. I like all three finalists.

I wanted Emma's answer to end with "He doesn't give a shit."  I really like all the finalists and am sorry that only one can win it all. 

Share Post

Yep, only got FJ because of another online group that uses the honey badger reference often.

Share Post

I must have blocked the Cowboys clue from my brain because I hate them, too!  But I have no specific recollection of any clue relating to them.  Hm.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Rooting for Maya!!!! Then Claire....

I'm rooting for them all, so I'll be happy with whoever wins.

Share Post

Sorry...right or wrong, I have a long-standing aversion to pixie people.  I wish her no harm, just would rather she not win.

Share Post

47 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm rooting for them all, so I'll be happy with whoever wins.

Same here. They are all intelligent and impressive.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I must have blocked the Cowboys clue from my brain because I hate them, too!  But I have no specific recollection of any clue relating to them.  Hm.

it was pretty straightforward.  Basically Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott are on this team?.  or group.  I forget the exact wording or category.  But it was the same category of Cirque de Soliel, they give a couple of examples and you name the group/team it was from. 

Still think they should be risking more in DJ on the Daily Doubles.  None of them are really taking advantage of those.  But it would not have mattered in the end when only the winner knew FJ on this one. 

Share Post

All female finale! I’m Team Emma (Go Owings Mills). 

I got Honey Badger just from all the memes. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

it was pretty straightforward.  Basically Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott are on this team?. 

Ah.  I don't know the names of any of the players any more.  And I'm okay with that!  :)

Share Post

Is Alex losing weight? The suit he wore on Friday didn’t fit him well.

On the first round DD I said Shangra-La instead of Utopia. 

Best wishes to all the girl contestants tonight (drink?). Better run to the ABC store today as tonight could be a doozy. 

Share Post

The teens have been really good across the board! Smart, poised, confident. A pleasure to see. 

I can't tell if an all-female final will lead to an epic number of "young lady" references or if having to specify which young lady will actually force him to use their names instead. 

I do hope Emma's voice shifts as she grows up -- hard enough to be taken seriously in this world without the complication of a tiny voice!  My pilates studio has an instructor who still sounds a lot like Emma as an adult, so it's possible it won't. 

Such a weird thing to fixate on, I know, but I'm distracted by Claire's hair bow. Or what I think is a bow. In both of her appearances so far there is something visible on the back her head even though most of her front hair is down. That's not usually how bows/clips work.

Share Post

Poor Maya, she looked like she knew she’d dug herself a bit of a hole compared to the others.

Share Post

Oh, Maya, you should have picked the other one!  And Emma, just the last name would have been plenty -- no need to risk coming in 3rd by taking too much time to write your response.  But yay Claire!  I would honestly be happy with any of these three winning. 

Claire's hair was clearly pulled back today, with the bow holding it back.

Instaget FJ for me, plus I got 1900 and Sarajevo. 

Share Post

What A Great Game!!

going to be a great battle between Emma and Claire to settle this or maybe Maya comes from behind and takes it can't wait to find out tommorow.

Share Post

Emma is a junior. Would she be eligible to compete next year?

Share Post

Not only can't she appear in next year's teen tournament, she will be ineligible until Trebek's replacement appears--for everything except Tournament of Champion games.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

Claire had that Tracy Flick thing going for her. 

You're right!  I knew something looked familiar about her. 

Was a good game. 

Share Post

I just got home and the game is pre-empted by football anyway - I was already annoyed by missing the first half of the game, and forgot it would air on my local channel as well as ESPN, so that I'd be missing J! too.  I'll have to check for a late-night airing, but decided to go ahead and check here to see who'd done well.  Claire's my number three of the group, but I'll still be perfectly happy if she wins.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And Emma, just the last name would have been plenty -- no need to risk coming in 3rd by taking too much time to write your response.  

She is very precise. In one of her other games, the FJ answer was a play (or movie?) title and she made sure to put quotation marks around the title.

Share Post

11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Claire had that Tracy Flick thing going for her. 

My friends and I see major Amy Santiago.

Share Post

Sad day yesterday in Chicago. After the first round they cut in for a special news report, a shooter at Mercy Hospital, he killed his ex-fiancé (an ER Dr.)and a pharmacy tech! A Chicago cop was also killed along with possibly others too! They had that story on TV all day/night and I never did get to watch the rest of J! (I was also hoping they aired it again later, but not to be found)

I'm glad Emma at least came in 2nd, In the beginning of game it appeared she may not answer anything! I hope to be able to watch the entire show today. Coming here to see what happened, thanks! 

Share Post

This was the first I've watched of the Teen Tournament. I know Emma's voice has been mentioned many times, but all I could think of when I heard it was (and I said this aloud to the cats,) "I wonder what she sounds like on helium. I bet only dogs can hear her."

All 3 contestants live in the Eastern time zone and (whoo hoooooo) I've been to each one's hometown. Yay me.  Any one of the 3 will be OK as winner in my book.

Share Post

All three played a great game!  

A new drinking game! Drink whenever Alex mentions it's an all female finals.

Or says "young lady".  

Share Post

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Quickbeam said:

I knew it from James May talking about honey badgers in the Top Gear Africa special.

I know she can't help it, but Emma's voice makes me wish I was deaf.  She's clearly a very good player, though.  Still, I'm rooting for Maya to pull off a miracle.  Would be fine with Claire as well.

Share Post

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

All three played a great game!  

Or says "young lady".  

If he says "young lady(ies)" as many times tonight as he did last night, I will be passed out by the end of the first round.

It was a very good game and I'm glad they all ended up with decent totals.  Even Maya's relatively lower score doesn't put her out of the running.

For FJ I said Thoreau, then overthought it and said no,  it's the poet who wrote "The woods are lovely, dark and deep" who I think is Robert Frost and I think is too late for the year in the clue.  But that seemed more "ironic" to me than someone who wrote about a pond setting the woods on fire. But I stuck with Frost anyhow and was wrong.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ I said Thoreau, then overthought it and said no,  it's the poet who wrote "The woods are lovely, dark and deep" who I think is Robert Frost and I think is too late for the year in the clue. 

In case it helps, Robert Frost spoke at JFK's inauguration in 1961.   Frost was born in 1874 and died in 1963, so he did not set a fire in 1844.

Share Post

7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My friends and I see major Amy Santiago.

I can see that too

Share Post

7 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

(I was also hoping they aired it again later, but not to be found

I think it was at 2 am

Share Post

These kids are too old to not know when Teddy Roosevelt was president and too young to watch “Game of Thrones” and “House of Cards.”

Cherry.  Cherrrrrrrry.  That could not have been more simple.

Edited by mojoween.

Share Post

Mr. Irritable and I love Emma so very much that we are sad not to be able to see her on TV anymore. We want her to get her own show. We want to adopt her even though she already has good parents. 

We called Claire “Paris Gellar”, and are not surprised at all that she won. It’s probably for the best because she seemed to be the only one who might have had a full mental breakdown if she’d come in 2nd or 3rd.

Share Post

I admit - I’ve lived in the DC area since the 90s and had no clue DC had an official fruit.  Now I feel stupid - cherry d’oh. 

And why would they ask teens about Game of Thrones and House of Cards?! 

Share Post

I was so pleased Maya got to give the Emerson answer since it cost her so much last night.  

All three did well and I am oddly proud of them for not getting the Game of Thrones and House of Cards answers.  

I agree that Claire might be tightly wound but high school Paris Geller would never have reached out to the other players at the end the way She did.  

Brava to them all!

Edited by Grundoon59. Reason: Tightly is better than rightly. 😂

Share Post

I had no idea DC had an official fruit, either, but I guessed cherries because of the cherry blossom connection.  Just a lucky guess!  And I get an asterisk! 

Sorry Emma and Maya lost, but Claire was just a machine there at the end, and also made a very smart wager for FJ.  I think she's the only contestant I remember who stared directly into the camera during her interview, too.  Most people look at Alex. 

I was glad that Maya got Emerson! 

Alex, please do not attempt to mimic the Wicked Witch of The West ever again.  That was worse than his Dracula.

The only TS I got tonight were gnu, Christmas, dude ranch, and arrow.  I've never watched, um, House of Cards, was it?, but I guessed hit by a bus -- is that close to a subway train?  It's all public transit!  LOL

Share Post

Monday's game--my only get was Sarajevo.  I could not pull Thoreau from my brain, even though I knew what they were talking about, so no FJ for me.

Tonight I got gnu, Christmas, marathon, and dude ranch.  

My first thought for FJ (after the whole I had no idea DC had an official fruit) was apple, then pumpkin, then the light dawned and I said cherry.  Followed by "duh!"

Congrats to Claire on the win.  The hug at the end was nice.

If I recall, I did not like the returning champ, so not looking forward to going back to regular games.

Share Post

A big win for Tracey Flick. Actually, Claire was very impressive and deserved her win. They were all good, charming and level-headed, and I have every confidence that they will all go on to stellar careers. And they all have a fun experience to write about for their college admission essays and put on their resumes.

I got gnu, Christmas, United States, arrow, poison, dude ranch, and cherry. Who knew Washington D.C. even had an official fruit? But I got to cherry fairly quickly. I got it from the cherry blossoms - George Washington chopping down the cherry tree didn't even occur to me. Probably because pretty much everybody recognizes that it's totally made up and isn't even in kid's books any more as far as I know. Obviously the contetsants had never heard of it.

Edited by Kathira.

Share Post