Jump to content

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Jeopardy! Season 35 will premiere September 10, 2018.

Please remember the basic rules of this forum and thread. Posting about the day's episode should happen after 7PM ET. Before that, it is considered spoilers so please tag it. As always, be civil to your fellow posters and no politics.  

Thank you! 

0

Share Post


Link to post

The Jeopardy contestant forums have been bubbling about the All-Stars Tournament for a couple of days now.  It looks interesting.  I'm curious to see how the "teams" aspect will work.  And yeah, it's curious that Arthur Chu wasn't included.  Maybe he declined, or was unable to participate?

I wonder if this means there won't be a Tournament of Champions this year.

0

Share Post


Link to post
1 minute ago, MrAtoz said:

I wonder if this means there won't be a Tournament of Champions this year.

I'm not sure there would be enough qualified contestants for a ToC this year, since the last one was fairly recent. 

0

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

email from Jeopardy about an All Stars tournament.

"Facebook Live draft event."

How embarrassing if you get picked last.

(Not really in a cast of All Stars, but a draft inherently makes somebody come in last place.)

0

Share Post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Roaster said:

"Facebook Live draft event."

How embarrassing if you get picked last.

(Not really in a cast of All Stars, but a draft inherently makes somebody come in last place.)

In the NFL draft, the final guy picked is "Mr. Irrelevant"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Irrelevant

1

Share Post


Link to post

My local station switched up J! times for the new season.  After years of it being on at 4:30, they now show it at 4:00 PM (Central).  I tuned in late today and gasped when I saw Alex's beard.  I was unspoiled about the beard.

Anyway, runaway game.  FJ easy to guess.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Hello again! I've missed this forum during the summer.

What are everyone's thoughts on Beard or No Beard Alex? I just went to the Jeopardy! Facebook page and voted No, but it's a minority opinion over there.

Alex was back to snarking on the contestants, telling Caitlin "In other words, you like being in school" about what sounds like a very ambitious and worthwhile course of study. And "But are you an employed English teacher?" to Rick--ugh. Any school would be lucky to have Rick.

"Invincible" from I Am Woman was a TS--sob! I also got Carreras (flashed back to "You're...that other guy!" on Seinfeld), the Rain King, Nehru, and Dmitri. Next to Classical studies, I love Russian history best.

Edited by GreekGeek.
6

Share Post


Link to post

I thought Alex looked awesome with the beard. He looks great with a mustache and he looks clean shaven, too. He carries it all well. Alex wears the age 78 very well. 

13

Share Post


Link to post

I’m sure Isaac is a fine fellow, but the sound of his voice grated on my nerves.  Sorry, Isaac.

I’m guessing the lady on the end isn’t much of a tennis fan if she thought that Roger Federer was Rafael Nadal.

I giggled at the US Open category as the first one of the new season.  If only they knew what was going to happen when they planned this category!

9

Share Post


Link to post

I am so glad Isaac lost!  Between the leaning, the slightly loose tie, the starting mid-category and his voice, I had a hard time watching the second round.  Yay, Rick! 

FJ was an instaget for me.  I was sad that "invincible" was a TS, and kind of surprised at how many states they missed. 

I'm pro-beard, but then I've always been a fan of well-kept facial hair.  As long as it isn't stubble, though, it's all good.  :)

6

Share Post


Link to post

Oh oh oh!  Also, I don’t think that “primary” and “elementary” are synonyms and primary is not a synonym for basic and it irritates me that Alex accepted that so quickly and didn’t say he was incorrect.

9

Share Post


Link to post

We’re back!

And it looks like they didn’t spend their summer working on more difficult FJs. 

4

Share Post


Link to post

<runs in waving>

Hi, everybody.  I've missed you.  

Congrats to Isaac.

You successfully secured your spot on the list of most annoying jeptestants for Season 35.

Tie up your tie and stand up straight.  You're on national tv.  Oh, and, stop staring down the others when they buzz in before you.  And, start at the top of the category.

Aside from all that, you seem like a real prince of a guy.  

Hmmm, looks like I might have stored up some crankiness over the summer break.

Very happy that Rick won.  Plus, he looked awesome in that pink shirt/tie combo.

Tonight I got invincible, growing, and San Jose.

10

Share Post


Link to post

Either my brain is well rested from six weeks vacation or the writers are still on vacation.  This seemed like a very easy game.

Congrats to Rick on his win and on getting his teaching certificate!  Dang, right out of the gate we are subjected to Isaac the Insufferable - leaning on the podium, starting in the middle, beginning his interview with "so", and that "I wannabe a DJ on an AM radio station in the middle of nowhere" voice.  Yikes!  

I got invincible (*sob*), Colorado, Missouri, growing, Nehru, and San Jose.

FJ was an instaget.

I don't have any social media accounts, but if I did, I'd vote "Yes!" on the beard.

9

Share Post


Link to post

I just read on twitter that Rick got a teaching job at Ridley High School, outside of Philly.  I wonder if he's an Eagles fan.

#FlyEaglesFly

7

Share Post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Tie up your tie and stand up straight.  You're on national tv.  Oh, and, stop staring down the others when they buzz in before you.  And, start at the top of the category.

Also, don't keep saying the full name of categories followed by please. 

8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got invincible (*sob*), Colorado, Missouri, growing, Nehru, and San Jose.

I got those too. US Geography was clearly a problem so no wonder they saved it for last. 

8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget.

I had to think for a second about the Amazon being in the Southern Hemisphere. I guess World Geography was failing me for a bit there., but I got it.  

Good for Rick. 

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Alex was back to snarking on the contestants, telling Caitlin "In other words, you like being in school" about what sounds like a very ambitious and worthwhile course of study.

By opting for a MD/PhD, she's likely saving herself tens of thousands in student loans too. 

4

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I am so glad Isaac lost!  Between the leaning, the slightly loose tie, the starting mid-category and his voice, I had a hard time watching the second round.  Yay, Rick! 

FJ was an instaget for me.  I was sad that "invincible" was a TS, and kind of surprised at how many states they missed. 

I'm pro-beard, but then I've always been a fan of well-kept facial hair.  As long as it isn't stubble, though, it's all good.  :)

Joining on the Isaac hate. He also had very large ears, which I wouldn't care about (it's obviously not his fault) except that I thought it was funny that his last name was Loeb and he did indeed have rather impressive lobes. That almost made me feel sorry for him, realizing that he must have been teased for his ears. Then he started with the category-hopping looking for the DDs. Ugh.

I liked Caitlin - bad luck to be on with a great player like Rick. Glad to hear he's apparently got a teaching job. How fun would it be to be able to put under "Jeopardy contestant" on your resume?

I also enjoyed Alex TreeBeard. I've always been favorably disposed towards men with beards. My husband has a lovely beard which is just starting to get gray.

5

Share Post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

By opting for a MD/PhD, she's likely saving herself tens of thousands in student loans too. 

It's all for naught when you start your interview with "so".  

Alliteration...Drink!

5

Share Post


Link to post

I know I didn't get smarter over the summer, but hokey smokes, that was one easy game AND toddler FJ.

Question: Why wear a tie if you are going to loosen it so it hangs around your neck like you just put in a 20-hour day beating the deadline of getting the newspaper on the press.

Invincible, plus no one knows where the states are on the U.S. map? WTH people. That's grade-school stuff.

So (ha) the one contestant didn't say a word to Stephen Colbert and Trebek awards that with a "Good for you"? I guess we all needed a drink after the long break.

Meanwhile, I have a legit bitch about the new J6. Now it fills the entire screen, so much so that the third answer goes OFF the screen so it's impossible to play. And I have a 20-in. monitor. WTH show. Why fix something that wasn't broken?

I vote a BIG NO to the beard. Except I dislike Trebek anyway so the lazy-ass disgusting beard fits how I feel about him. And it does hide his face-lift scars.

5

Share Post


Link to post

I too have missed you all and knew there would be lots of beard opinions expressed.  My household is split - I don't care and 94 year old Mother Grundoon hates it.  

I somehow guessed none of them were going to get invincible but I am so old that I have the album on vinyl.  Ye gods, I need to declutter.

So nice to be back among friends.

8

Share Post


Link to post

Two minutes of Isaac and I was already yelling at the screen, "If this season starts with him winning, I'm out!"

Beard is fine. Looks distinguished.

What was the Colbert story? I always FF through the interviews. (HIS beard is NOT fine.)

5

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m guessing the lady on the end isn’t much of a tennis fan if she thought that Roger Federer was Rafael Nadal.

I'm so much not a fan, that the only ones I came up with were Serena and Arthur Ashe.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh oh oh!  Also, I don’t think that “primary” and “elementary” are synonyms and primary is not a synonym for basic and it irritates me that Alex accepted that so quickly and didn’t say he was incorrect.

IIRC, the clue didn't say that basic was a synonym, but rather that the term was based on (something...I forget). I took that "something" to be "primer" (old timey school books) and came up with primary. I do agree that elementary shouldn't have been accepted - especially if the clue was worded the way I remember.

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got invincible (*sob*), Colorado, Missouri, growing, Nehru, and San Jose.

I didn't get San Jose - after living there, and spending most of my adult tech career in Silicon Valley. I just don't think of it as the "capital" as most of the tech progress took place in other cities. I haven't been there in a while, so maybe it's now known as the capital and I missed the memo.

12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

By opting for a MD/PhD, she's likely saving herself tens of thousands in student loans too. 

How? She's going to ten years of school. I confess I don't know much about the details of doctors' education.

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I vote a BIG NO to the beard. Except I dislike Trebek anyway so the lazy-ass disgusting beard fits how I feel about him. And it does hide his face-lift scars.

Tell us how you really feel! LOL.

I like the beard, but then Mr. Clanstarling has had a well trimmed one for the 30+ years we've been together. Hipster beards now, those I'm not fond of (or the ones that can't make up their mind - not long enough to be a beard, and not short enough to be clean shaven).

5

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

How? She's going to ten years of school. I confess I don't know much about the details of doctors' education.

The daughter of a friend of mine is one of those programs.  Not only is tuition free, the school pays her a stipend.  They are very difficult programs to get into and they take very few applicants each year.  Smart people. I like the beard.  

6

Share Post


Link to post

I vote 'yes' on the Trebeck beard. I'm having a hard time warming up to the Colbert beard, though.

Isaac's voice didn't bother me, but the leaning and glowering did. And both he and Caitlin started their stories with the dreaded "So...", an auspicious kick-off to the new season! 

6

Share Post


Link to post

I am pro-beard. My boyfriend has had a beard the entire time we’ve been together because I prefer facial hair over naked cheeks (get your minds out of the gutter LOL). 

5

Share Post


Link to post

Pro beard.  I have to say, Alex looks great for 78.

I never heard of an MD/PhD program before. It really got my attention because my daughter is an MD, and my son is in his last year of a PhD program in biomedical engineering, the same field Caitlin is studying.  After seeing how hard they both worked, I am blown away that someone can do both at the same time.  I wonder how the program works.  Does she study both disciplines at the same time, or finish one degree, then start the other?

Edited by 3 is enough.
5

Share Post


Link to post

It's split.  2 years med school then Phd then finishing med.

PS, congrats on having two very smart kids! I'm sure they get their smarts from their parents.

Edited by AuntieL.
5

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

I vote 'yes' on the Trebeck beard. I'm having a hard time warming up to the Colbert beard, though.

Isaac's voice didn't bother me, but the leaning and glowering did. And both he and Caitlin started their stories with the dreaded "So...", an auspicious kick-off to the new season! 

I think the biggest problem with Colbert's beard is that it doesn't match his hair. But since his wife doesn't like it, I don't think it will stay for long.

5

Share Post


Link to post

I love the beard, I hope he keeps it. I think he is subconsciously trying to become his nemesis:

Darrell-Hammond-as-Sean-Connery-on-Satur

11

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I'm having a hard time warming up to the Colbert beard, though.

I don't like Colbert's beard, so he can shave asap, because it is all about me and what I want.  ;-)

I read on TMZ (consider the source) that 

Spoiler

Alex has already shaved.

2

Share Post


Link to post

Not sure how I feel about the beard.  Might take some getting used to.

I did okay, but not great this game.  Glad to have regular Jeopardy back after the summer, although I hear they're going to be inflicting Matt, Colby, Buzzy!!!, and fucking Austin on me again.  I mean, I like some of the people in this All Star team thingy, and love Brad Rutter, but this is too great a price to pay, imo.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

I just got this email from Jeopardy about an All Stars tournament. I wonder how they decided who would participate. No Arthur Chu?

That's pretty much it's one saving grace - that they're not also inflicting him on me.

21 hours ago, Roaster said:

My local station switched up J! times for the new season.  After years of it being on at 4:30, they now show it at 4:00 PM (Central).  I tuned in late today and gasped when I saw Alex's beard.  I was unspoiled about the beard.

Anyway, runaway game.  FJ easy to guess.

I said Chile at first, because it's long, but changed it to Brazil for obvious reasons.

20 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

"Invincible" from I Am Woman was a TS--sob! I also got Carreras

I adore Jose Carreras.  Didn't know he was on a farewell tour - wonder if he'll come anywhere near me.  I hope so.

5

Share Post


Link to post
20 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m guessing the lady on the end isn’t much of a tennis fan if she thought that Roger Federer was Rafael Nadal.

I said Rafa first, but realized my mistake in time.  I'm going to blame my non-HD tv, lol.

19 hours ago, lb60 said:

<runs in waving>

Hi, everybody.  I've missed you.  

Congrats to Isaac.

You successfully secured your spot on the list of most annoying jeptestants for Season 35.

Tie up your tie and stand up straight.  You're on national tv.  Oh, and, stop staring down the others when they buzz in before you.  And, start at the top of the category.

Aside from all that, you seem like a real prince of a guy.  

Hmmm, looks like I might have stored up some crankiness over the summer break.

Very happy that Rick won.  Plus, he looked awesome in that pink shirt/tie combo.

Tonight I got invincible, growing, and San Jose.

He didn't bother me.  I tend to give contestants a break on the leaning thing since it might be due to back problems.  I am glad that Rick won, though, because I really like him.

18 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

It's all for naught when you start your interview with "so".  

Alliteration...Drink!

I've discovered that a lot of people you wouldn't expect to do that actually do for some reason.  I don't remember who it was, but I was watching an interview with a political author recently, and she started several sentences with "so".

2

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

didn't get San Jose - after living there, and spending most of my adult tech career in Silicon Valley. I just don't think of it as the "capital" as most of the tech progress took place in other cities. I haven't been there in a while, so maybe it's now known as the capital and I missed the memo.

I know that both Silicon Valley and San Jose are in California, but had no idea that the second was in the first, or indeed, where either one is exactly.

2

Share Post


Link to post
20 hours ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got invincible, growing, and San Jose.

Those were my gets, too.

 

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

IInvincible, plus no one knows where the states are on the U.S. map? WTH people. That's grade-school stuff.

It's... elementary.

I like the beard, but I'm not going to bother voting.

3

Share Post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He didn't bother me.  I tend to give contestants a break on the leaning thing since it might be due to back problems. 

I guess I saw him leaning but it didn't register nor did I care since I'm  with you on the back-problem thing. That tie, however, I noticed that sartorial faux pas immediately. There is no excuse anywhere for that.

3

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I know that both Silicon Valley and San Jose are in California, but had no idea that the second was in the first, or indeed, where either one is exactly.

Silicon Valley, an industry based nickname,  encompasses most of the South Bay Area in northern California which is  south of San Francisco but hugging the bay. San Jose is the biggest city in the South Bay. But really, it's all city from SF to SJ. I'm glad I don't live there anymore. It was lovely once.

Edited by Clanstarling.
1

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, AuntieL said:

The daughter of a friend of mine is one of those programs.  Not only is tuition free, the school pays her a stipend.  They are very difficult programs to get into and they take very few applicants each year.  Smart people. I like the beard.  

Wow, it certainly doesn't work like that where I live! They get a stipend for the PhD work as is the norm, but not free tuition.

Edited by secnarf.
3

Share Post


Link to post

not going to spoil anything but just wanted to say its going to be a fun night reading the comments about one of the contestants on tonights show lol.

1

Share Post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, secnarf said:

They get a stipend for the PhD work as is the norm, but not free tuition

While working on my PhD, I was a TA (and some semesters, taught one section). I received free tuition and a stipend.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I am so excited to see Julia again I cannot stand it.  Did I miss something, when is this happening?

I mean really, I would be a-ok with just Ken, Julia and Alex J.

5

Share Post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I am so excited to see Julia again I cannot stand it.  Did I miss something, when is this happening?

I mean really, I would be a-ok with just Ken, Julia and Alex J.

the all-star tounament will air from February 20th-March 5th 2019.

The Draft will be saturday September 22nd hosted by Alex on facebook live at 10:00am.

Edited by SuperCam1.
3

Share Post


Link to post

Rawr that is so far away.  That is good though because that’s a dead time in sports other than college basketball, ha.

Whoever shrieked like a banshee for Lori during her first DD made me 1000% root against her so I hope that person is happy.

The fact that they quieted down during the rest of the show is irrelevant.

Also, because I am a grumpus, the dance annoyed me.

7

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SuperCam1 said:

not going to spoil anything but just wanted to say its going to be a fun night reading the comments about one of the contestants on tonights show lol.

I guess you mean Lori? She's all right with me, as long as her enthusiasm about winning doesn't cross the line into smugness.

Not that many TS's tonight; I got Greensboro, Advise and Consent, and Herman Wouk. The latter's reputation must have faded a lot if an English teacher didn't know him. I remember reading The Caine Mutiny Court Martial in high school. I saw it in the theater a long time ago, with Michael Moriarty as Captain Queeg. He gave Queeg a Southern accent, which I didn't imagine him as having, but I guess he didn't want to sound like Humphrey Bogart.

Another easy FJ. It got me singing Tom Lehrer's "Alma," about the wife of Mahler, Gropius, and Werfel. His verse on Gropius:

"But he would work late at the Bauhaus,

And only came home now and then,

She said, "Vat am I running, a chowhouse?

It's time to change partners again!"

8

Share Post


Link to post

Sorry to see Rick go.  Don't like Lori.  She reminds me of a middle-aged version of Ted Baxter's girlfriend, Georgette, on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Even though it really didn't affect the outcome, I call BS on giving Becky credit for chariot instead of carriage.  And since when is seaweed the same as algae?

I only got Beauty and the Beast and Herman Wouk.

I didn't get FJ.  I shouted "it starts with a B!" and then proceeded to pound my head against a wall .  It wouldn't appear.  Boo hiss.

8

Share Post


Link to post

Well, that sucked.  

I'll miss Rick and his snazzy shirt/tie combos.

I don't like Lori, for no particular reason.  I tend to not like those who replace people that I do like. 

My only get tonight was Beauty and the Beast.  I guess I should have yelled louder, since no one heard me.

If I have to see Colby again, I hope he bought a suit that actually fits.

7

Share Post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

And since when is seaweed the same as algae?

Seaweed is a giant version of algae.  But not all algae live underwater.

Lori is annoying -- sorry to see Rick lose.  She reminds me a bit of Catherine O'Hara, if Catherine O'Hara were annoying, which she is not.  I love her in the Christopher Guest films.

I got Greensboro, and should have gotten Bauhaus -- I could easily come up with the "haus" part, but the "Bau" part just would not come to my brain.  Boo, hiss.

5

Share Post


Link to post

It sounded to us that Rick said "Robinson Caruso" instead of "Robinson Crusoe."  Did others hear it that way?  Does number of syllables count any more?

5

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now