Jump to content

S05.E13: Damocles Part Two

11 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Eligius 3 was the mission to the new planet that predated the entire storyline of the series that never returned to Earth, Meaning ita\s descendant have been there for more than all the time jumps in the series since the original nuclear holocaust,if youy\think about it.....250 years or so.

That's well over 100 years longer than it took the Grounder civilization to develop after Priamfaya 1.0  on Earth -- so when they land on this new planet they will either find a devolved Grounder-like civilization or the Jetsons.  Or they may find no one at all if there are no food sources.

Plus, shouldn't the Eligius 3 ship still be in orbit around this new planet ?

0

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That's well over 100 years longer than it took the Grounder civilization to develop after Priamfaya 1.0  on Earth -- so when they land on this new planet they will either find a devolved Grounder-like civilization or the Jetsons.  Or they may find no one at all if there are no food sources.

Plus, shouldn't the Eligius 3 ship still be in orbit around this new planet ?

Or they cannibalized the Eligius 3 ship to build Earth 2. So far, we've had regressed civilization (Grounders) attacking the 100 as a fearsome enemy. We've had an advanced society (Mt. Weather) using the 100 as biological specimens to solve a medical crisis. We had Alie trying to save humanity by downloading them into an AI a la "The Matrix." Finally, the remainder of civilization had to struggle to survive, yet ending up destroying any chance they had with petty squabbles.

Obviously, they can't land on some kind of utopia with resources and a social structure that works well. The viewers would be bored and the show would be cancelled. My bet is that Earth 2 will have advanced technology, but strict laws that will turn Wonkru and company into criminals almost immediately.

6

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ketose said:

Obviously, they can't land on some kind of utopia with resources and a social structure that works well. The viewers would be bored and the show would be cancelled. My bet is that Earth 2 will have advanced technology, but strict laws that will turn Wonkru and company into criminals almost immediately.

I have misgivings that you are right. I say 'misgivings' because these writers have thrown any sense of logic out of the airlock. It doesn't matter how advanced the technology on the ship, human technology and advancement is based on a global infrastructure of factories. The reason the Arc was failing after only 100 years is because they couldn't source a new widget made with some rare Earth element from the factory in India. Or something similar. There's no way even the most advanced technological civilisation could maintain that over 250 years without any basic production infrastructure. And there's no way they could have produced the population to have implemented it either. All their tech would have broken by now and they'd have no way to fix it. The only reason you could maybe handwave the prison ship's survival is that nobody was tinkering with the tech and they were in a vacuum for 100 years.

The civilisation on the new planet should have devolved in the same way we saw in season 1. I mean, not identical but a tribal society, mostly agrarian, with a few poorly-understood pieces of technology lying around. But of course this is TV show and that would be boring so... what kind of society haven't we seen yet? It'll be that.

Edited by AudienceofOne.
1

Share Post


Link to post

It's a matter of resources. If they had something like a 3-D printer, it could make the replacement parts given enough raw materials. If food were plentiful and they could create enough energy for heat and light and communication, I don't see why they couldn't create small scale factories. Of course, technological innovation on Earth is largely driven by financial motives, and that may not be in play on Earth 2.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:50 AM, Efzee said:

As for the other comments about Raven's boyfriend knowing the password to the files; I don't think he did because the miners were also unaware of the fate of Eligius 3.

It doesn't even matter if Monty has certain knowledge that Raven's boyfriend doesn't have the passwords.  The solution to breaking into the files that have the coordinates of a habitable planet in less than thirty years is still to wake up him and Raven.  Haven't we spent all season learning that Raven is also awesome at computer hacking and Shaw a close second and most familiar with the ship.

From the perspective of the inner workings of the show, they just needed someone to die in the finale and give a bunch of speeches to tug at Bellamy and Clarke's heartstrings so there is some pretense that there is inner conflict at whatever hard decisions they must make next season.  But Monty spent thirty years and gave up his life to get us here and wouldn't want us to whatever.

In the show, Monty just wanted a ten year rest from having to deal with these people and their melodrama and killing.  He needed a break, so he and Harper decided to have a peaceful life for a while and have a kid. 

5

Share Post


Link to post

Yeah, I understand Monty and Harper wanting to have a break from all this needless drama.

And I guess there are good reasons for the other open questions too. Like, they couldn't go in and out of cryo-sleep for a week or so every year, they had to age linearly because... cryo-sleep just functions that way? Like, they didn't want their only son to grow up alone, but .... Harper had a medical emergency? Like, Monty can only work on his own so he never woke up anyone else?

I agree with a point made above, it would have bee better had everyone stayed awake for a few weeks at first so they could have aired their grievances. But I do believe that they will have all forgot about them anyways once they wake up next season. I am curious though what that "End of Book 1" Teaser was about. Didn't the book at the base end way earlier anyways?

The new planet will most certainly be inhabited by humans. I can't see them creating expensive CGI-aliens, and the previous ships make that possible. What level this civilization will be, is totally up in the air though... But I am sure they will find a way to create drama, violence, misunderstandings, war and so on for the next season somehow, even though that was the most boring part of this season.

As for the two final episodes, I don't have much to say. Like with most episodes this season, a lot of action and not much development. All the drama of the whole season was resolved in a quick "the commanders have a plan" & let's shoot McCreary. So yeah, lots of wasted screentime.

0

Share Post


Link to post

While I was tired of the back and forth battles all season, every season, the finale was awesome.  Did not see that coming.  I have read all your thoughts and it makes me think of two particular book series:  The Galahad Series by Testa and Wool (the Silo series?) by Howie.  

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/28/2018 at 8:21 PM, jumper sage said:

While I was tired of the back and forth battles all season, every season, the finale was awesome.  Did not see that coming.  I have read all your thoughts and it makes me think of two particular book series:  The Galahad Series by Testa and Wool (the Silo series?) by Howie.  

Season six could well be similar to the Pandora series by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, except in this case the ship is not a sentient being.

coming late to the party here as i've watched the two most recent series (4 & 5) over the holidays, I enjoyed this season but have mixed feelings about the ending and where it's going to take us for the next couple of seasons. Surely they can't expect to simply replay season one with the role of the grounders being played by either the descendents of the Eligius 3 crew or unspecified aliens? (the latter unlikely due to choice between expensive CGI or Falling Skies style shit rubber suits)

I'd have been more than happy to see them take the valley and having learned from their mistakes rebuild the human race in alliance with the surviving convicts. It looks like the network want to flog this on for a while longer so we're going with the : "well, we've finally FUBARed the Earth, here's a new planet for us to fuck up on." plot development.

The 100's writers are quite good at what they do, but there is a sense of what Jasper says in his farewell note to Monty, "there's no light at the end of the tunnel, just more tunnel" The continued need to up the ante WRT the apocalypse kinds of means that all the really awful things the protagonists did in the first three seasons were for nothing because the world and virtually all the people in it were destroyed anyway.

One thing that did stick out like a sore thumb in this season was the notable absence of Jaha and the fact that this is only once ever remarked upon. I guess Isiah Washington didn't renegotiate a raise and walked because at the end of season 4 they appeared to be setting him up with a continued story line WRT him being the guardian of the boy whose father is thrown out of the bunker. that would have made sense as the relationship between parent and child was a key theme for this season, Abby / Clarke, Clarke / Maddie and ultimately Harper and monty's son. Presumably this was to highlight the difference between personal survival and the survival of the species. McCreary is the ultimate narcissist, prepared to destroy the whole world if he can't have it to himself, where as monty sacrifices himself, sort of, so that the human race can continue. Though how much of a sacrifice it would be to spend your life in peace with nothing much to do but have sex with Harper is a matter of opinion, particularly as it comes with the added bonus of missing out on whatever grim shit show will happen when Team apocalypse land on the shiny new planet.

0

Share Post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, BasilSeal said:

Season six could well be similar to the Pandora series by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom, except in this case the ship is not a sentient being.

coming late to the party here as i've watched the two most recent series (4 & 5) over the holidays, I enjoyed this season but have mixed feelings about the ending and where it's going to take us for the next couple of seasons. Surely they can't expect to simply replay season one with the role of the grounders being played by either the descendents of the Eligius 3 crew or unspecified aliens? (the latter unlikely due to choice between expensive CGI or Falling Skies style shit rubber suits)

I'd have been more than happy to see them take the valley and having learned from their mistakes rebuild the human race in alliance with the surviving convicts. It looks like the network want to flog this on for a while longer so we're going with the : "well, we've finally FUBARed the Earth, here's a new planet for us to fuck up on." plot development.

The 100's writers are quite good at what they do, but there is a sense of what Jasper says in his farewell note to Monty, "there's no light at the end of the tunnel, just more tunnel" The continued need to up the ante WRT the apocalypse kinds of means that all the really awful things the protagonists did in the first three seasons were for nothing because the world and virtually all the people in it were destroyed anyway.

One thing that did stick out like a sore thumb in this season was the notable absence of Jaha and the fact that this is only once ever remarked upon. I guess Isiah Washington didn't renegotiate a raise and walked because at the end of season 4 they appeared to be setting him up with a continued story line WRT him being the guardian of the boy whose father is thrown out of the bunker. that would have made sense as the relationship between parent and child was a key theme for this season, Abby / Clarke, Clarke / Maddie and ultimately Harper and monty's son. Presumably this was to highlight the difference between personal survival and the survival of the species. McCreary is the ultimate narcissist, prepared to destroy the whole world if he can't have it to himself, where as monty sacrifices himself, sort of, so that the human race can continue. Though how much of a sacrifice it would be to spend your life in peace with nothing much to do but have sex with Harper is a matter of opinion, particularly as it comes with the added bonus of missing out on whatever grim shit show will happen when Team apocalypse land on the shiny new planet.

Wasn't Jaha shown being killed during the attempted coup in the bunker?

Edited by connieinnc.
0

Share Post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, connieinnc said:

Wasn't Jaha shown being killed during the attempted coup in the bunker?

perhaps i missed that, when did that happen?

0

Share Post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, BasilSeal said:

perhaps i missed that, when did that happen?

When they were trying to take control over the hydroponic farm, IIRC.

1

Share Post


Link to post

yes, i just looked at the fan wiki and you're quite right, i wonder if i skipped an episode as i have no recollection of that whatsoever. I did wonder how they got the the fighting pit stage in the bunker, that makes sense.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I do think though that the writers had different plans for jaha than simply killing him in a minor flashback though, if season 4 was the end of his story, why not have him die in the finale? giving him the child to look after doesn't really serve any purpose in the narrative as it was presented, which is why i speculated that it was originally intended to be connected to the parent / child theme of season 5, particularly as Jaha's own some had been killed at the very start of the series, but for some reason they changed their plan and sidelined this character and the potential story line.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/10/2018 at 10:50 AM, Efzee said:

As for the other comments about Raven's boyfriend knowing the password to the files; I don't think he did because the miners were also unaware of the fate of Eligius 3.

He did know something. Like Blood alteration like they had on Eligius III. Two suns, no sunscreen needed. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now