Jump to content

S01.E05: Death Becomes Him

Quote

“Death Becomes Him” – A terminally ill man hires Eddie and Sam to protect him from the very hitman he hired to make his death look like an accident. When he discovers he was misdiagnosed and is going to live, he fears for his life. Together, Eddie and Sam must keep him safe and in hiding long enough to find and stop his hired killer but soon learn that the hitman isn’t the only one after him, on “Take Two,” THURSDAY, JULY 19 (8:00–9:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Did the show change time slots? I thought it was normally 10 but with DVRs I sometimes don’t even know what day it is!

0

Share Post


Link to post

It did for tonight, at least. So far, it's scheduled for 10 next week.

2

Share Post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It did for tonight, at least. So far, it's scheduled for 10 next week.

Google shows that, but zap2it and titantv show it off the schedule for the following 2 weeks, and ABC shows it off as far as next week (2 weeks schedule isn't loading for me).

I wonder if this means tonight's episode and all the rest are really bad, or...???

0

Share Post


Link to post

I was looking at my cable guide, which isn't exactly gospel when it comes to schedules. 

I wonder if ABC aired the show in the first place to satisfy some contractual issue with Miller and Marlowe? Thursdays in the summer isn't exactly a prime viewing slot.

1

Share Post


Link to post

A pretty original take on the premise.

Some of the two leads' line reads seemed like—well, line reads.

It was a little weird at first seeing Ryan/Seamus Deever because this show is sort of a Castle spinoff—it was like: Why isn't he the star of the show?

I had to look up the H!ITG! brother of the victim. Niall Matter? Seriously? He looks like a different person than when he was on Eureka.

At the end, there was a preview for "next week," so, I guess that's happening.

Edited by shapeshifter.
0

Share Post


Link to post

I finally managed to watch an episode. Why does the lead actress have to be a Beckett copy? Not in manner but in looks. I mean, she has the exact same hair style and paired with the fact that the whole show is basically a copy of their previous show, I find that a little creepy. I also felt it distracting to have Seamus Dever in the episode.

Otherwise, I thought it was entertaining.

1

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Google shows that, but zap2it and titantv show it off the schedule for the following 2 weeks, and ABC shows it off as far as next week (2 weeks schedule isn't loading for me).

I wonder if this means tonight's episode and all the rest are really bad, or...???

I think they were trying it out at an earlier time to see if more people watch. If it did better they'll probably move it here again. Maybe that's why the schedules aren't showing it?

It was nice seeing Seamus Dever.

3

Share Post


Link to post

Good to have Seamus Dever on; he really can do more than he's usually given.  But I knew it was the brother as soon as I saw who was playing him, you don't cast Niall Matter for a couple of lines. That's a mistake Castle didn't make, more often than not the best known actors wasn't the villain.

The idea of being hacked is why I won't have a smart fridge or those other internet of things houses.

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Why does the lead actress have to be a Beckett copy? Not in manner but in looks. I mean, she has the exact same hair style and paired with the fact that the whole show is basically a copy of their previous show, 

I agree about it being a copy of Castle. But Beckett started out with short hair.  The extensions showed up in later seasons.

0

Share Post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I agree about it being a copy of Castle. But Beckett started out with short hair.  The extensions showed up in later seasons.

My point wasn't that the actress looks like exactly like Beckett did in S1 but that she resembles Beckett/Katic in general and has the exact same hairstyle Beckett had (in S5 and 6). I'd actually find it less weird if they copied Beckett's hairstyle from S1 for this S1 but the female lead looks like she was cast more because of her resemblance to Beckett/Katic rather than anything else and it's as if S5/6 Beckett is either of MilMar's ideal of a woman or whatever and they're recreating that. Makes me want to ask, what's with this weird obsession of S5/6 Beckett?

0

Share Post


Link to post

One bit that I thought came off as insulting to the viewers' intelligence was when Sam and Eddie were using the belt and bra to snag the gun outside the cage because "leather and cloth don't conduct electricity!" Were we supposed to assume that during the commercial break they gnawed off the metal eyelets, hooks, buckles, and underwires?

2

Share Post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

One bit that I thought came off as insulting to the viewers' intelligence was when Sam and Eddie were using the belt and bra to snag the gun outside the cage because "leather and cloth don't conduct electricity!" Were we supposed to assume that during the commercial break they gnawed off the metal eyelets, hooks, buckles, and underwires?

I liked the way they got out, while completely eliminating the possibility that the hitman was still trying to finish his contract. I thought they were going to do something with the coffee and all the exposed wires, but they still would have to stop the hitman. The minute I saw Niall Matter, I knew he would have an important part in the story.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I'm not sure why Niall Matter is considered such a big deal.  I've never even seen him before.  From IMDB, it appears he does a lot of Hallmark Channel-type TV?  

I was sad when Seamus' character fell off the railing, thinking it was all we'd see of him.  I respect him all the more as an actor after this, found it kind of amazing to see Todd's defeated, tired, stance, as opposed to Detective Ryan's energy.  I was expecting a Ryan clone but wasn't reminded of him at all.  Why doesn't Seamus get more character work? Maybe he doesn't want it?

Spoiler

Of course, the brother was the would-be killer since the MilMar MO is that the first non-victim non-show-regular you see is typically the killer... although good job, throwing us off a little at least by making him a brother.

 

Another fluffy, entertaining episode.  I'm still not feeling Sam and Eddie as a couple, though.  Please, show, don't get them together.  

Moving Take Two to 8pm without any warning at all is not a good strategy, although could it be that ABC considers it a better lead in than The Gong Show?  Expect the ratings to fall.

Edited by TWP.
0

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TWP said:

I respect him [Seamus Deever]  all the more as an actor after this, found it kind of amazing to see Todd's defeated, tired, stance, as opposed to Detective Ryan's energy.  I was expecting a Ryan clone but wasn't reminded of him at all.  Why doesn't Seamus get more character work? Maybe he doesn't want it?

Exactly my thoughts too! 

Did anyone else wonder if they cast Niall Matter as not-Ryan's brother because he physically resembles Javie (Jon Heurtas)?

Edited by shapeshifter.
0

Share Post


Link to post
18 hours ago, TWP said:

Another fluffy, entertaining episode.  I'm still not feeling Sam and Eddie as a couple, though.  Please, show, don't get them together.  

Moving Take Two to 8pm without any warning at all is not a good strategy, although could it be that ABC considers it a better lead in than The Gong Show?  Expect the ratings to fall.

Yup, the ratings fell. Only a tenth of a point, but they are only at about a .4, so that is a lot.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Enjoyed Seamus Deaver. Todd's expertise with electronics seems like it could be a good excuse for future guest appearances if they wanted. When they realized that someone was still trying to kill him I suspected the brother since he was the only possible suspect we had met at that point. They faked me out a bit by hastily introducing a few others but I was surprised that they never seemed to consider Todd's wife a suspect.

The idea that people who attended Todd's funeral must have liked him more than he realized struck me as odd. Also the idea that it was inappropriate for the company he worked for to want to make sure that his work laptop was not left unsecured. 

I loved the cop girlfriend (Christine) in the scene where Eddie brought the fake death suggestion to her, and I am disappointed that it seems like she is going to get short shrift for the sake of a tired will-they-won't-they trope. 

2

Share Post


Link to post

Looks like the ratings aren't great and the show won't be back. Too bad, I'm starting to really enjoy it despite it being a Castle clone. 

As for the week's episode, the Moonlighting references were cute. 

4

Share Post


Link to post

I hope the show can pop back up next summer, its fun for a light summer show. 

Enjoyed the case of the week, it was pretty interesting, and the twists and turns were entertaining. Although, I knew it was the brother as soon as we saw him at the funeral. When he started talking how he would take care of his brothers family, I was like "there we go, we got us a motive!" and I was totally right. Ah well, it was a fun ride. 

I still love the lady cop who is Eddies friend with benefits. She has a lot going on, I kind of want to see what she is up to more often.

2

Share Post


Link to post

I also like Christine, the lady cop. She's smart, accepting and a much better match for Eddie than Sam.  Sometimes the character that sneaks up on you is a much better relationship than the one who is written in the pilot.

I'm disappointed that the villain was the Best Known Guest Actor.  Castle has a way of avoiding that trope but this show seems to have fallen into that pit.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:26 AM, TWP said:

I'm not sure why Niall Matter is considered such a big deal.  I've never even seen him before.  From IMDB, it appears he does a lot of Hallmark Channel-type TV? 

Known for sci fi shows like Eureka and Primeval: New World. Well known enough as an actor that Remedy ended the major ship when he came on so that he could be the lead's new love interest and younger star and severely hurt the show. IMO

Because my work involved administering psychological tests and know what goes into making one, I hated Monica's subplot of making a test that has zero validity or reliability as far as we know.  I pretty much think Monica is a waste of a character entirely though.

2

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Well known enough as an actor that Remedy ended the major ship when he came on so that he could be the lead's new love interest and younger star and severely hurt the show. IMO

Wait, that was the allegedly hot doctor who supplanted adorable Brendan Gall as the doctor sister's boyfriend? I did not recognize him here (but in fairness I stopped watching Remedy because of him). I certainly didn't recognize the actor's name.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/19/2018 at 10:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

One bit that I thought came off as insulting to the viewers' intelligence was when Sam and Eddie were using the belt and bra to snag the gun outside the cage because "leather and cloth don't conduct electricity!" Were we supposed to assume that during the commercial break they gnawed off the metal eyelets, hooks, buckles, and underwires?

True, not to mention that during the commercial break, Sam, ahem, grew a cup or two.  Rachel Bilson does NOT appear to be a 'C' cup, despite what she said. I have observed that somethings have changed, but NOT that.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Wait, that was the allegedly hot doctor who supplanted adorable Brendan Gall as the doctor sister's boyfriend? I did not recognize him here (but in fairness I stopped watching Remedy because of him). I certainly didn't recognize the actor's name.

Yeah, that's him. He's a decent actor (I really liked him on Eureka and rooted for him to get the girl on Arctic Air) but the Remedy show runner seemed to be awestruck because he was hired and wrote out the other ship (which I agree was adorable) so he could be the jerk who wooed and won the doctor sister. That was the main reason I didn't mind when the show got cancelled although the first season I thought it was the best medical show on TV.

He was underused here but Seamus Dever made up for it.

0

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, Jacks-Son said:

True, not to mention that during the commercial break, Sam, ahem, grew a cup or two.  Rachel Bilson does NOT appear to be a 'C' cup, despite what she said. I have observed that somethings have changed, but NOT that.

Sam said "I think that gun takes more of a C cup," meaning that she is not a C cup (i.e. her bra wasn't the right size to hook the gun).

2

Share Post


Link to post

I thought she said the it takes MORE than a “C” cup.  Implying her bra was a “C” but it wasn’t enough.  My bad. I thought girl was giving herself the benefit of the doubt or as Producer, taking executive license with the writing.

1

Share Post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I thought she said the it takes MORE than a “C” cup.  Implying her bra was a “C” but it wasn’t enough.  My bad. I thought girl was giving herself the benefit of the doubt or as Producer, taking executive license with the writing.

She said it very quickly, but it was definitely "more OF" and not "more THAN".

0

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now