All Episodes Talk: From Farm to Clinic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Holy crap, that grub living behind the kitten's eye!  The kitten sure picked the right driveway to wander up.  And she was so big just four months later.  I laughed at being named Rye since she was missing her right eye.

When the narration said a good samaritan dunked the overheated dog in cold water, I yelled at the TV.  Same with a rerun during the recent marathon where a woman brought in her cat who hadn't eaten in "three or four days" - I started grumbling at her about hepatic lipidosis.  I'm glad when they show stories like that, educating the audience.  Cats are in danger if they go too long without eating.  Hyperthermia has to be treated gradually, or you'll cause further harm.  As evidenced by the cat's owner and the good samaritan who tried to help the dog, there are people out there who love animals, yet do not know these basics.  So that means there are people in the audience like that, and now they've learned something.

And I freakin' love their three-legged office cat, Tater.  I love how people have to step over him and work around him (or her?), because he'll just plop down and demand to be petted.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Holy crap, that grub living behind the kitten's eye!  The kitten sure picked the right driveway to wander up.  And she was so big just four months later.  I laughed at being named Rye since she was missing her right eye.

When the narration said a good samaritan dunked the overheated dog in cold water, I yelled at the TV.  Same with a rerun during the recent marathon where a woman brought in her cat who hadn't eaten in "three or four days" - I started grumbling at her about hepatic lipidosis.  I'm glad when they show stories like that, educating the audience.  Cats are in danger if they go too long without eating.  Hyperthermia has to be treated gradually, or you'll cause further harm.  As evidenced by the cat's owner and the good samaritan who tried to help the dog, there are people out there who love animals, yet do not know these basics.  So that means there are people in the audience like that, and now they've learned something.

And I freakin' love their three-legged office cat, Tater.  I love how people have to step over him and work around him (or her?), because he'll just plop down and demand to be petted.

That poor little kitten must've been in agony.  Gruesome!

I hope a lot of people learned a valuable lesson about over-heated dogs and how NOT to treat them.

I'm not usually a fan of vow renewals (the reality tv kiss of death to a marriage), but I'll make an exception in the Pols' case, since it was their 50th freakin' anniversary.  ;-)

Share Post

The grub was gross! I'm glad they got it out. We recently adopted a one-eyed cat. She's 10 mos. old and they think she'd been a stray. 

I wish they'd done an update on the K-9 bloodhound. I hope it wasn't that aggressive otherwise.

Share Post

51 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I wish they'd done an update on the K-9 bloodhound. I hope it wasn't that aggressive otherwise.

I think in the original episode in which that aired (last night's was a compilation of beatings they - and owners - have taken from unhappy patients), he wound up being euthanized.  It's possible I'm mixing him up with another aggressive dog, though.

Share Post

So glad there is a forum for this show now! I love Dr. Pol, he is a character.

IIRC, the aggressive bloodhound was put to sleep because the owner knew he would not be able to properly care for it after leg surgery. 

Share Post

I only started watching this about six months ago and with repeats and compilation shows I'm not sure how long ago this case happened. 

There was an elderly man and his German shepherd who were in an accident and the dog went into the windshield or the dashboard so hard he fractured his skull. It was so bad that every time he took a breath his forehead bulged. They had to transfer him to the trauma center at the university I think. Dr. Emily got a call saying he made it there but we never heard anything else. I assume the worst because they usually love to follow up on miraculous recoveries but even in the worst case there's usually a voiceover or comment on the screen when an animal doesn't make it. Does anyone else remember this?  I think the dog's name was Rip. 

Share Post

I remember this. Poor dog, he was in bad shape. I don’t recall hearing any follow up, either. 

Share Post

What is this, the grub season?  Much easier result with this one.

That looked like a nasty wound on the emu!  That big ol’ bird hanging his head over the owner’s arm wanting to be held was sweet.  And, hee – Bert and Ernie.  But breeding flightless Australian birds in the U.S.?  Why?  For their meat?  I looked it up, and apparently emu oil (from their fat) is bigger business.  (Australia banned export long ago, but there were already plenty of emus here.)

(Sad timing, with the captive jaguar escaping its cage in the New Orleans zoo today and killing six animals, including an emu.)

I like Dr. Emily taking Winston home with her; it’s a big problem how few clinics have no one on duty overnight/on weekends (but an understandable one; that adds significant cost), so it’s nice that she went the extra mile.  I missed the beginning; how did the little guy get infected to begin with?  I don’t actually want a pig, but I find piglets adorable, and every time I see one on one of these shows, I ask my cat if I can have one.  She says no.

And Dr. Brenda was good with the women who had to have their horse euthanized, and good with the horse himself.

Watching this show makes me wonder how cows aren’t extinct with all the problems they have, especially when they try to give birth.  I need to research this, because it seems like this must be related to how they’re being housed and fed on modern farms.

Share Post

I wonder if it has to do with selective breeding? We make them bigger for more meat, and then the cows can't get them out.

Share Post

Winston the pig is a champ! What a little trooper. I was so glad he survived because I watched a bunch of episodes Saturday, and on three episodes people had to put their pets down. I was a soggy mess! 

I have a blind cat a Good Samaritan rescued by the side of the road. I got him when he was about six months old, and being blind doesn’t slow him down one bit. His name is Maester Aemon.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, BookWitch said:

Dr. Emily tweeted at the time that he had to be put down.

😓

Share Post