Jump to content

All Episodes Talk: From Farm to Clinic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

0

Share Post


Link to post

Holy crap, that grub living behind the kitten's eye!  The kitten sure picked the right driveway to wander up.  And she was so big just four months later.  I laughed at being named Rye since she was missing her right eye.

When the narration said a good samaritan dunked the overheated dog in cold water, I yelled at the TV.  Same with a rerun during the recent marathon where a woman brought in her cat who hadn't eaten in "three or four days" - I started grumbling at her about hepatic lipidosis.  I'm glad when they show stories like that, educating the audience.  Cats are in danger if they go too long without eating.  Hyperthermia has to be treated gradually, or you'll cause further harm.  As evidenced by the cat's owner and the good samaritan who tried to help the dog, there are people out there who love animals, yet do not know these basics.  So that means there are people in the audience like that, and now they've learned something.

And I freakin' love their three-legged office cat, Tater.  I love how people have to step over him and work around him (or her?), because he'll just plop down and demand to be petted.

7

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Holy crap, that grub living behind the kitten's eye!  The kitten sure picked the right driveway to wander up.  And she was so big just four months later.  I laughed at being named Rye since she was missing her right eye.

When the narration said a good samaritan dunked the overheated dog in cold water, I yelled at the TV.  Same with a rerun during the recent marathon where a woman brought in her cat who hadn't eaten in "three or four days" - I started grumbling at her about hepatic lipidosis.  I'm glad when they show stories like that, educating the audience.  Cats are in danger if they go too long without eating.  Hyperthermia has to be treated gradually, or you'll cause further harm.  As evidenced by the cat's owner and the good samaritan who tried to help the dog, there are people out there who love animals, yet do not know these basics.  So that means there are people in the audience like that, and now they've learned something.

And I freakin' love their three-legged office cat, Tater.  I love how people have to step over him and work around him (or her?), because he'll just plop down and demand to be petted.

That poor little kitten must've been in agony.  Gruesome!

I hope a lot of people learned a valuable lesson about over-heated dogs and how NOT to treat them.

I'm not usually a fan of vow renewals (the reality tv kiss of death to a marriage), but I'll make an exception in the Pols' case, since it was their 50th freakin' anniversary.  ;-)

5

Share Post


Link to post

The grub was gross! I'm glad they got it out. We recently adopted a one-eyed cat. She's 10 mos. old and they think she'd been a stray. 

I wish they'd done an update on the K-9 bloodhound. I hope it wasn't that aggressive otherwise.

1

Share Post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

I wish they'd done an update on the K-9 bloodhound. I hope it wasn't that aggressive otherwise.

I think in the original episode in which that aired (last night's was a compilation of beatings they - and owners - have taken from unhappy patients), he wound up being euthanized.  It's possible I'm mixing him up with another aggressive dog, though.

0

Share Post


Link to post

So glad there is a forum for this show now! I love Dr. Pol, he is a character.

IIRC, the aggressive bloodhound was put to sleep because the owner knew he would not be able to properly care for it after leg surgery. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

I only started watching this about six months ago and with repeats and compilation shows I'm not sure how long ago this case happened. 

 

There was an elderly man and his German shepherd who were in an accident and the dog went into the windshield or the dashboard so hard he fractured his skull. It was so bad that every time he took a breath his forehead bulged. They had to transfer him to the trauma center at the university I think. Dr. Emily got a call saying he made it there but we never heard anything else. I assume the worst because they usually love to follow up on miraculous recoveries but even in the worst case there's usually a voiceover or comment on the screen when an animal doesn't make it. Does anyone else remember this?  I think the dog's name was Rip. 

0

Share Post


Link to post

I remember this. Poor dog, he was in bad shape. I don’t recall hearing any follow up, either. 

0

Share Post


Link to post

Dr. Emily tweeted at the time that he had to be put down.

3

Share Post


Link to post

What is this, the grub season?  Much easier result with this one.

That looked like a nasty wound on the emu!  That big ol’ bird hanging his head over the owner’s arm wanting to be held was sweet.  And, hee – Bert and Ernie.  But breeding flightless Australian birds in the U.S.?  Why?  For their meat?  I looked it up, and apparently emu oil (from their fat) is bigger business.  (Australia banned export long ago, but there were already plenty of emus here.)

(Sad timing, with the captive jaguar escaping its cage in the New Orleans zoo today and killing six animals, including an emu.)

I like Dr. Emily taking Winston home with her; it’s a big problem how few clinics have no one on duty overnight/on weekends (but an understandable one; that adds significant cost), so it’s nice that she went the extra mile.  I missed the beginning; how did the little guy get infected to begin with?  I don’t actually want a pig, but I find piglets adorable, and every time I see one on one of these shows, I ask my cat if I can have one.  She says no.

And Dr. Brenda was good with the women who had to have their horse euthanized, and good with the horse himself.

Watching this show makes me wonder how cows aren’t extinct with all the problems they have, especially when they try to give birth.  I need to research this, because it seems like this must be related to how they’re being housed and fed on modern farms.

2

Share Post


Link to post

I wonder if it has to do with selective breeding? We make them bigger for more meat, and then the cows can't get them out.

3

Share Post


Link to post

Winston the pig is a champ! What a little trooper. I was so glad he survived because I watched a bunch of episodes Saturday, and on three episodes people had to put their pets down. I was a soggy mess! 

I have a blind cat a Good Samaritan rescued by the side of the road. I got him when he was about six months old, and being blind doesn’t slow him down one bit. His name is Maester Aemon.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, BookWitch said:

Dr. Emily tweeted at the time that he had to be put down.

😓

2

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/15/2018 at 12:04 AM, Bastet said:

What is this, the grub season?  Much easier result with this one.

That looked like a nasty wound on the emu!  That big ol’ bird hanging his head over the owner’s arm wanting to be held was sweet.  And, hee – Bert and Ernie.  But breeding flightless Australian birds in the U.S.?  Why?  For their meat?  I looked it up, and apparently emu oil (from their fat) is bigger business.  (Australia banned export long ago, but there were already plenty of emus here.)

(Sad timing, with the captive jaguar escaping its cage in the New Orleans zoo today and killing six animals, including an emu.)

I like Dr. Emily taking Winston home with her; it’s a big problem how few clinics have no one on duty overnight/on weekends (but an understandable one; that adds significant cost), so it’s nice that she went the extra mile.  I missed the beginning; how did the little guy get infected to begin with?  I don’t actually want a pig, but I find piglets adorable, and every time I see one on one of these shows, I ask my cat if I can have one.  She says no.

And Dr. Brenda was good with the women who had to have their horse euthanized, and good with the horse himself.

Watching this show makes me wonder how cows aren’t extinct with all the problems they have, especially when they try to give birth.  I need to research this, because it seems like this must be related to how they’re being housed and fed on modern farms.

Winston got the infection from his castration.  Probably unsanitary conditions.  Poor little fella.  I'd have put him down.  I know he lived, (they're tough) but it was agonizing to watch him suffer like he did. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

I'm obsessed with this show. I watch it to relax when I've had a hard day. Although admittedly, I still watch behind the sofa cushion when his hand goes  up a cow's butt....that's just gross. Especially when there's poop...ugh...

As heart wrenchingly sad as it is seeing euthanasia, I love that this show lets us see the good, the bad, and the ugly. We see that not all survive, and not all SHOULD survive, that yes, death is a natural part of life and shouldn't be avoided or feared.

We need more country vets...they're a dying breed with the money to be made in posh pets...

8

Share Post


Link to post
19 hours ago, hnygrl said:

We need more country vets...they're a dying breed with the money to be made in posh pets...

My university is answering that need.  Texas Tech University will open it's vet school, I believe next year, and it will only deal with large animal practices.  I raise quarter horses in Texas and there is a huge need for very good equine(horse) vets and even very good bovine(cow) vets.  We have a very good (race)track vet but he is near retirement and I don't have much confidence in the other local vets in the DFW area, especially east of Dallas.  

3

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/9/2018 at 4:31 PM, Bastet said:

Holy crap, that grub living behind the kitten's eye!  The kitten sure picked the right driveway to wander up.  And she was so big just four months later.  I laughed at being named Rye since she was missing her right eye.

😊 once again, amazing how tough animals can be.

Quote

And I freakin' love their three-legged office cat, Tater.  I love how people have to step over him and work around him (or her?), because he'll just plop down and demand to be petted.

Absolutely loved the segment. Way back when, my great aunt rescued and refused to accept that a kitten that had been crushed while moving a washing machine be euthanized. This was a couple years before I joined the Army in '73. FF a few years, the kitten was still alive and sassy when I retired after 20 years - named Tripod since he lost a front leg when crushed. Tripod was always front and center when anyone visited - he'd hear strange voices and park himself in the middle of the room surveying the company, before making the rounds to see who gave the best ear scritches.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:55 PM, LittleIggy said:

Winston the pig is a champ! What a little trooper. I was so glad he survived because I watched a bunch of episodes Saturday, and on three episodes people had to put their pets down. I was a soggy mess! 

Go little Winston! and great job Dr Emily. Just love Dr Emily's dedication.... and all the docs who sometimes get beat up by their patients and just shrug it off keep on taking care of the cow/horse/whatever. 

Edited by SRTouch.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Poor little Zelda. ☹️ I had to get out the tissues again. 

Dr. Pol was so cute with that teeny kitten.

Edited by LittleIggy.
2

Share Post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Poor little Zelda. ☹️ I had to get out the tissues again. 

Dr. Pol was so cute that teeny kitten.

I knew Zelda was a goner.  :-(  I don't for a moment criticize their decision to try the surgery, even at Pol rather than at a more specialized hospital, but in hindsight I do dearly wish they'd euthanized the poor girl, so she'd have died surrounded by her family rather than alone in a cage.

This show can be hard to watch (I really have a hard time with some of the farm practices), but I appreciate that they show the good, bad, and ugly.  I love the Dr. Jeff show, too, but that one is edited almost exclusively towards the success stories; death is a big part of practicing medicine, and I appreciate this show including that.

And, yes, Dr. Pol's pure delight in the face of the cuteness that was the kitten was adorable!

I also laughed out loud at the look on Tom's face when he got placed in a cage in preparation for an enema, and even harder when he then promptly pooped in the litter box they'd provided him -- no enema, thanks.  I'd have recommended psyllium (unflavored, unsweetened) before jumping to Miralax, because the latter has extra stuff you may not want a cat consuming (generally not an issue other than in cats with kidney disease, but still - natural is always preferable to synthetic, and fewer ingredients preferable to more, since everything has side effects), but it was cute that the cat and the owner took the same poop juice.

And I liked the ram who initially refused to move after his horn was trimmed. 

I positively adored the couple who stayed up all night with their fish hook dog to make sure the hook didn't get caught on something and cause more damage (I wonder how far away the nearest 24-hour vet is, that it's not a realistic option), and that the man took the day off work so he could just relax and recuperate with his dog.

4

Share Post


Link to post

I hope that poor horse was feeling better after getting the "up your nose with a rubber hose" treatment. That always looks brutal and I know how much I dislike having it done to me.

Made me laugh that Dr. Emily saved the fishing lure because it might be expensive. Frugal farmers and rural folks around there!

Congratulations to Charles on his engagement.

4

Share Post


Link to post

Yeah, Tom the cat was like “Oh, no. You aren’t giving me an enema!” ::plop:: “There! Can we go now?”

4

Share Post


Link to post

I love Tater in the office, but I don’t like letting him (her? I still don’t know) roaming the waiting room.  People are coming in with sick and injured dogs (and other pets, but the dogs are just on a leash and most others are in carriers) who do not want to be there.  Add that scared/pained temperament to the fact not all owners have good control over their dogs, and something tragic could happen before anyone could react.

The choking dog standing on her head to get cuddles is adorable.  Yet practically ugly compared to Binks the kitten – oh my!  I missed the intro to that segment; how did they wind up with a bottle baby?

Poor Ivy; I didn’t have much hope for her, but was very sad to be right about that.

I have a hard time with some of the farmers on this show.  I am all about family farms versus factor farms, but not every family farm is using best practices; they’re not automatically humane by virtue of being small.  And, while livestock are their livelihood, and thus it’s completely fair to think about the financial impact of an animal’s death, it bothers me when that’s the only consideration.  I don’t know enough to know how I feel about breeding reindeer, but that guy cares about his animals as animals, not just as income sources.  I like to see that.

And, while I don’t like kids, I love seeing kids love their animals.  (The kid with the basset hound in the Nightcap, though - I don't care how much she loves that dog, she's still annoying as hell.)

1

Share Post


Link to post

I felt so bad for the reindeer rancher and sweet Ivy. He and Dr. Pol did everything they could. More tissue time for me. 😥

Binks the kitten was so kawaii! I know Santa got him lots of toys!

3

Share Post


Link to post

I was hoping we would find out what happened to that poor puppy who had eaten the mushroom. I was crying 😢 along with the owners. And of course the Rottweiler had me bawling. I’ve had to go through that. I lost it when I read the plaque about the candle. Thank God the little Yorkie has more time.

Charlie is a gorgeous little steed. His mane is so lovely.

Those neighbor cats were beautiful and should be inside! Tater, too. That looks like a busy road.

I saw a tripod cat at an adoption event at the local Petsmart today. Her amputation was of a back leg. I wonder which is more challenging to adapt to for a cat: a front limb or a back limb amputation?

3

Share Post


Link to post
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

And of course the Rottweiler had me bawling. I’ve had to go through that. I lost it when I read the plaque about the candle.

I only saw the episode in chunks, but I saw that entire segment and teared up at the audio footage of them saying goodbye.  Poor Halo, and his poor owners.  When Dr. Pol asked if they wanted him to step out for a few minutes for them to talk about what to do, and the camera was on the husband, you could just tell that he and his wife were having a non-verbal "We know what we have to do" conversation

There's a similar plaque at my vet's office.  They used to just put a sign on the door of the exam room in which it was happening, for those passing by, but people don't see that until they are right on top of it and there's one exam room that is right off the waiting room.  So now they have the centralized notice to keep it down in the event of euthanasia.

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I was hoping we would find out what happened to that poor puppy who had eaten the mushroom

I didn't see the end segment, so I didn't realize we got no update.  I cannot believe how low his blood sugar was!  And he was so young.  I hope everything worked out.  It's odd they didn't show an update screen at the end; this isn't a show that meticulously avoids sad endings, so if the puppy didn't make it, that wouldn't be a reason for it not to be mentioned.

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Those neighbor cats were beautiful and should be inside! Tater, too. That looks like a busy road.

I was a little confused on that - I thought Dr. Pol said, in VO, that the new cats had moved in next door, but then when Tater was checking these "intruders" out, it looked like they were across the street from each other.  If both are true, at least one party is allowing their cat(s) the freedom to go across the street.  That, um, doesn't seem like a good idea.

5

Share Post


Link to post

Tater seems to be an experienced escape artist, waiting by the front door for someone to enter or leave so he can sneak outside between their legs. I enjoyed the segment about him and the neighbor cats -- complete with soundtrack -- but goodness! That is a busy road and it's not like cats don't suddenly dash off to chase squirrels and birds. I share everyone's anxiety.

As much as the veterinary establishment hates Dr. Pol and thinks he's bad for the profession, stuck in the 50s, and doesn't have the expertise for a small animal practice, he's the only vet around who will try to help "exotic" animals. If nobody else will even look at a goose's leg to see if it's broken, fuck 'em.

The large young man being so in love with his tiny Yorkie made me smile.

Edited by 2727.
5

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I saw a tripod cat at an adoption event at the local Petsmart today. Her amputation was of a back leg. I wonder which is more challenging to adapt to for a cat: a front limb or a back limb amputation?

I've heard a front limb is more difficult, because the animal's entire weight comes down on one leg as they move forward.

1

Share Post


Link to post
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I saw a tripod cat at an adoption event at the local Petsmart today. Her amputation was of a back leg. I wonder which is more challenging to adapt to for a cat: a front limb or a back limb amputation?

Hmmm, not sure where I heard it, but seems to me I heard that the front limbs do 75% of the weight bearing. Also, seems to me they are used more when changing direction. Assuming that to be true, I would think missing a fore limb would increase chance of arthritis and future ligament/tendon problems in the remaining leg.

1

Share Post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was a little confused on that - I thought Dr. Pol said, in VO, that the new cats had moved in next door, but then when Tater was checking these "intruders" out, it looked like they were across the street from each other. 

I thought they were across the parking lot from each other, but I could be wrong.  They sure were beautiful cats.

Cats should be kept indoors, but I do understand that isn't always an accepted practice in "farm country" (nor is it in suburban areas where people think their cats "need" the great outdoors).

2

Share Post


Link to post

I loved the little doxie who had heat stroke,  the Good Samaritan overcooled him but with the best of intentions. Dr Pol just fell for that little guy and I loved how he had little conversations with it while treating it. He was so natural about it and you could see his compassion for it was real and not just an act for the camera.

It must be difficult for them to not give some of the farmers who wait hours while a cow struggles to deliver and the   Vets have to pull a deceased calf and occasionally lose the mother also, a lecture. It’s expensive to lose a calf, it’s cheaper probably to  call Dr Pol or Brenda sooner and better the chances of saving both mom and calf. Same with some wounds and illnesses that are clearly serious and days old. Cheaper to get help sooner, less time with the vet is money saved. Dr Pol seems to try and keep his rates reasonable and use tried and true old school treatment instead of new fangled stuff that costs a lot more.

And I tear up along with him when he has to put down a clients pet, regardless of what it is, bird or rat or horse. He knows the pain of losing a friend. That’s the vet I want for my pets and they are VERY hard to find. I have an excellent vet now, my dogs get very good care. But there’s an business-like impersonality among the newer younger vets in the practice towards them that I’m not liking. I usually request appointment dates and times when I know my preferred vet is there. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

The owner of the little puppy who ate mushrooms posted an update on Twitter. 

 

Sadly, he didn’t make it. She said he only lived 2 more days after the day shown on the show. 

Edited by hnygrl.
3

Share Post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

The owner of the little puppy who ate mushrooms posted an update on Twitter. 

 

Sadly, he didn’t make it. She said he only lived 2 more days after the day shown on the show. 

Poor little pup. 😥My heart breaks for them. Did she say what caused the liver damage. Was it the mushrooms?

2

Share Post


Link to post
6 hours ago, hnygrl said:

The owner of the little puppy who ate mushrooms posted an update on Twitter. 

 

Sadly, he didn’t make it. She said he only lived 2 more days after the day shown on the show. 

La, la, la, la, la, la, la ... I can't hear you!  :-)

I always have to ff through the euthanasia scenes, because I have sad flashbacks and ugly cry every damned time.  So if it looks like an animal is going south, I ff through the scene, and if there's a beautiful shot of peaceful nature scenery at the end, I know not to go back & watch!

2

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

La, la, la, la, la, la, la ... I can't hear you!  :-)

I always have to ff through the euthanasia scenes, because I have sad flashbacks and ugly cry every damned time.  So if it looks like an animal is going south, I ff through the scene, and if there's a beautiful shot of peaceful nature scenery at the end, I know not to go back & watch!

You can always tell when a euthanasia scene is coming up. They play what I call the "euthanasia" music.

On Twitter she never said why the puppy didn't make it, just that she didn't. Poor fur mama, that must've been devastating...

3

Share Post


Link to post

I had a sweet kitten that had to be euthanized because he had FIP. It’s heartbreaking to say goodbye to an elderly pet, but at least you know he/she had a long, happy life. When it’s a baby you mourn the life he/she never got to lead. I’ll never forget you, little Pippen.

5

Share Post


Link to post

Poor little lemur. 😞I love Dr. Pol, but he should have told Jerry’s owner to find an exotic animal vet or even contact the state veterinary school (U of Michigan?). Speaking of exotics, I’ve watched a few episodes of Dr. K’s Exotic ER, and on one  there was a couple with an anteater (a small species) and a sloth. That made me so upset. It shouldn’t be legal to own animals like that as pets. The exotic pet trade is horrible! A lot of times the mother is killed to get the baby. 😡 Anyway, since there isn’t a forum for that series, I had to rant here.

Good on Charles for taking such good care of that kitty. Bet they grew up together.

After last week’s episode, I was so worried for that trembling puppy. Glad it had a good outcome.

Edited by LittleIggy.
3

Share Post


Link to post

One of the things Dr. Pol has been hounded about by the veterinary establishment is not wearing sterile gloves while doing small animal work. I watched an episode on Saturday when a woman brought her goat to the clinic because labor wasn't progressing and Dr. Pol reached in barehanded to untangle the kid.

I'm not gonna research to find statistics on iatrogenic infections in farm animals, but wouldn't Dr. Pol, if given a choice, prefer to keep his own hands as mucus-free as possible? What must be under his nails?

This case was an emergency visit to his clinic, but what if he had been at a farm and was going directly to another call? Vets seem to make do with a rough wash off in a bucket of water in the barn after handling infected tissue, blood, pus, etc. I have seen a couple of instances where farmers set up disinfectant trays for boots when a contagious disease is a possibility, so it is possible to carry disease from one farm to another.

GLOVES, please!

1

Share Post


Link to post

The blind dog was so cute. I have a cat (got him as a kitten) who was born blind, and he gets around just find. That sweet dog will do okay. Wonder what caused the blindness. 

First Dr. Jeff then Dr. Pol has a small dog who was hit by a car but comes out pretty much unharmed. 

Dr. Pol has another female vet on staff! Yay!

Tater is one laid back cat! 😄

Edited by LittleIggy.
2

Share Post


Link to post

Oh, look another difficult labor necessitates veterinary help.  The poor dog had to have a C-section previously.  Not the last litter, mind you -- the one before that (of who knows how many).  Stop breeding your dog, assholes!  At least they finally spayed her, but damn. 

I really only got to see that one segment (plus part of someone who accidentally cut off the end of her dog's tail!), so hopefully when I watch my recording tomorrow there are less aggravating stories.

3

Share Post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Stop breeding your dog, assholes! At least they finally spayed her, but damn. 

Same reaction. Poor thing was 10 years old and, if I may be so rude, not the best of breed example of a ... Border Collie, I want to say? I was glad there were only two pups -- if there was justice in the world, the vet bill would have been more than whatever money the owners made selling them off.

I was happy that the sweet little spaniel puppy with pneumonia and a prolapsed rectum had a good outcome at the end. Seemed like a well educated and caring owner. I assume spaniels are primarily used as bird dogs? In general, I don't like to think of hunting dogs going after boar or other large game animals, especially after watching vet shows. Teeth and tusks!

1

Share Post


Link to post

No Diane and Charles this episode.  I like to see the whole 'team'.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Freckle lady, why bother putting on makeup later? 😆

Glad Scarface made it. Wanted to hug the poor baby when he looked so forlorn. The husband owner annoyed me with his hysterics. I’m very emotional about my furry kids but geeze. You should have had him vaccinated for parvo.

Edited by LittleIggy.
6

Share Post


Link to post

I'm getting ready to watch the re-airing of this to fill in a lot of blanks since I initially watched in spurts, but:

1) Parvo is a completely preventable disease.  Vaccinate your fucking dog.

2) Between a horse and a dog, this episode was a nice illustration of how much diet can matter (something even more important for cats, who are more prone to diet-related illnesses).  That, yes, you can feed lesser food and get away with it - all animals are different, and genetics are a big factor, just like humans can exist on frozen food and take-out yet reach 80 or eat predominantly fresh meals and croak at 50 - but if your pet is among those who suffers the ill effects of an inferior diet, you need to make the change.  So if you can afford it from the beginning AND your pet likes it (because the healthiest food in the world is of no use if an animal won't eat enough of it to get adequate nutrition), feed that.

4

Share Post


Link to post

Why why why do people not vaccinate their dogs.  At least the puppy shots.  We have our adult dogs titered but they had all their puppy shots.  Makes me so mad, Parvo is so preventable and so horrible for the dog and can be fatal 

5

Share Post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Freckle lady, why bother putting on makeup later? 😆

Glad Scarface made it. Wanted to hug the poor baby when he looked so forlorn. The husband owner annoyed me with his hysterics. I’m very emotional about my furry kids but geeze. You should have had him vaccinated for parvo.

I was fascinated by freckle lady! When her skin was clear in the follow-up, I assumed she'd had a bad sunburn and it had peeled. Freckles make more sense.

Felt guilty about rolling my eyes at Scarface's owner's "woe is me" hyperbole. Also, don't name your beautiful puppy after a murdering drug kingpin.

Dr Pol: "Let me show you these interesting ear mites magnified 1000 times!" Little girl: "Wah! Thanks for the nightmares."

I've noticed Dr. Pol has been limping lately. Knee, hip -- something's creaking. He's such a force of nature but he is pushing 80.

The new vet Michelle seems pleasant. Fresh out of school, perhaps? The farm calls are either going to make her or send her running along with the other new hires that didn't last.

4

Share Post


Link to post

All of Freckle lady’s kids had freckles across their noses. I think she had a sunburn on top of all the freckles!

Edited by LittleIggy.
2

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, blondiek237 said:

Why why why do people not vaccinate their dogs.  

Sometimes laziness, sometimes "eh, it's just a dog" mentality (then don't have a pet!), I'm sure there's some anti-vaccination hysteria for pets just like there is for kids* ... But I have no idea what the reason was for this owner.  He obviously cared, emotionally, but there's just no excuse.  

*Now, a whole lot of cats and dogs are over-vaccinated, because the booster shot protocol that stubbornly lingers exposes pets to FAR more doses than they need (increasing their risk of vaccine-associated sarcoma, also called injection site sarcoma, each time, which is still a small risk but a wholly unnecessary one under those circumstances).  But they do very much need their initial vaccinations (the "puppy shots" or "kitten shots" which should generally also be given to adult pets with an unknown vaccination history upon adoption)! 

2

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sometimes laziness, sometimes "eh, it's just a dog" mentality (then don't have a pet!), I'm sure there's some anti-vaccination hysteria for pets just like there is for kids* ... But I have no idea what the reason was for this owner.  He obviously cared, emotionally, but there's just no excuse.  

*Now, a whole lot of cats and dogs are over-vaccinated, because the booster shot protocol that stubbornly lingers exposes pets to FAR more doses than they need (increasing their risk of vaccine-associated sarcoma, also called injection site sarcoma, each time, which is still a small risk but a wholly unnecessary one under those circumstances).  But they do very much need their initial vaccinations (the "puppy shots" or "kitten shots" which should generally also be given to adult pets with an unknown vaccination history upon adoption)! 

That's why we have had our dogs titered after their 1 year shots.  We know they are protected without vaccinations they don't need.  BUT the puppy shots are important

1

Share Post


Link to post

Max the duck is adorable, and I love that her owner drove her to the vet in a snowstorm. 

It's disturbing how many farm animals die during or as a complication of giving birth.  And, again, there has to be something we're doing in captivity to contribute to that; between how often the mother and/or babies die and how often they would have died if not for human intervention, it seems like if such a complication rate was natural, these species would have died off long ago.

3

Share Post


Link to post

I wish the lady would keep the kitten as a house pet and not put it back in the barn. It got along so well with the doggies.

l loved seeing the old photos of Diane and Doc. 💕

3

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Max the duck is adorable, and I love that her owner drove her to the vet in a snowstorm. 

It's disturbing how many farm animals die during or as a complication of giving birth.  And, again, there has to be something we're doing in captivity to contribute to that; between how often the mother and/or babies die and how often they would have died if not for human intervention, it seems like if such a complication rate was natural, these species would have died off long ago.

I think a lot of it is that people started wanting bigger calves so they started to breed them to bigger bulls. Not taking into account that the cow can't get bigger to get them out. 

3

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now