Jump to content

S08.E28 Again With This: Beverly Hills, 90210 Tasks Kelly With Getting Stud Mania Under Control

The opening of Beverly Hills's first sex shop has everyone taking sides on whether...sex is okay, basically? We discuss Kelly's sudden embrace of Catharine MacKinnonism in our Again With This podcast on 'Skin Deep'!

View the full article

0

Share Post


Link to post

Just a reminder - Kelly, Champion of Women, two weeks ago though it was hilarious to call another woman a prostitute.

And I hope our hosts "liked" this plot because, if memory serves, it's all Kelly's upcoming relationship with Matt is - there's an Issue, Kelly and Matt are on opposite sides of it, Kelly is A Bitch About Matt taking whatever side he takes, Matt bends likes a question mark to appease her, and sometimes, Kelly would change her mind and then berate Matt for changing his.  UGH.

On the flip side, Brandon getting all riled up about being judged on his morals?  Aren't you the dude who cheated on Kelly, like, less than six months ago?  In fact, it would have made more sense to tie Kelly's irritation about the magazine to that, that he's already needing fantasy aides two seconds after getting back together.

Also...Janet's parents are hippies?  Aren't they actually super conservative when we meet them, judge-y about her dating a non-Asian and furious about her getting pregnant out of wedlock?

5

Share Post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Just a reminder - Kelly, Champion of Women, two weeks ago though it was hilarious to call another woman a prostitute.

And I hope our hosts "liked" this plot because, if memory serves, it's all Kelly's upcoming relationship with Matt is - there's an Issue, Kelly and Matt are on opposite sides of it, Kelly is A Bitch About Matt taking whatever side he takes, Matt bends likes a question mark to appease her, and sometimes, Kelly would change her mind and then berate Matt for changing his.  UGH.

On the flip side, Brandon getting all riled up about being judged on his morals?  Aren't you the dude who cheated on Kelly, like, less than six months ago?  In fact, it would have made more sense to tie Kelly's irritation about the magazine to that, that he's already needing fantasy aides two seconds after getting back together.

Also...Janet's parents are hippies?  Aren't they actually super conservative when we meet them, judge-y about her dating a non-Asian and furious about her getting pregnant out of wedlock?

It wouldn't surprise me that Janet's parents become conservative. I lost faith in the show' continuity ages ago. It seemed like the characters all got brain injuries and are motivated by false memories at this point. I also remember Kelly doing that to Matt on the final episode. I had it on for some reason, I never actually watched the show until it hit SoapNet but I was in 9th grade when the show ended and wanted to see how this show could possibly end since Fox hyped it all that season it seemed during all of It's programming. I think Family Guy was on It's early seasons and The Simpsons was watchable to me...probably. My mom came in as I was watching it and was like 'shut the fuck up.' To both of them.

1

Share Post


Link to post

Uhh...that is not how cutting works. 

 

Sincerely, 

A therapist. kthxbye

6

Share Post


Link to post

You know who gets this worked up over pornography? My 81-year old Mormon mother. Shut up, Kelly.

4

Share Post


Link to post

I'm trying to understand why people would be so worked up about a sex shop. It's a sex shop, not a brothel. Seriously, who cares.

Anyway, only 7 episodes of Brandon left to go.

5

Share Post


Link to post

I know we joke a lot about the length of seasons, but I gasped outloud when Sarah mentioned CARLY was this season.

Speaking of short memories: Kelly/The Writers would have had a better argument that the reason she was bothered by her boyfriend's interest in seeing naked pictures of other women was that he cheated on her just recently and perhaps she is insecure and untrusting of his interest. But of course that never comes up or is something he is to be held accountable for. See: recent conversation with Onnnnnnnndrea.

Also speaking of short memory: Janet's free-love hippie parents are cold, withholding traditionalists by the time we meet them. Oh, show.

 

ETA: I  see TeeVee329 made all my points earlier.

Edited by Cekrypton1. Reason: Apology
1

Share Post


Link to post

Yeah, Carly's only been gone for 10 episodes, but it feels like it was 2 seasons ago. Lord.

Another thing about the episode with the magazine and all is TV's super prudish attitude towards masturbation. Like, it's a porn mag: we all know what it's for, but TV just can't say it. Even now, it's rare to even hear it mentioned on cable/streaming shows let alone broadcast. And when it does, it''s usually euphemistically like Brandon saying "it's a guy thing." It's weird.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I’m kind of disappointed that no one made any “Beat Off-ice” jokes.

4

Share Post


Link to post

There’s a brief gap of episodes that I don’t remember seeing at all and I watch reruns, but this seems to be the gap, but I now I’ve seen the Not wedding episodes and Brandon subsequently leaving and Val’s leaving episode because I feel like that also has something to do with the wedding? Like didn’t she write a letter to Brandon and kelly finds it? And then they make up and she leaves?

And after that I’m pretty sure I only watch a few episodes and then leave until like the finale of the show.

0

Share Post


Link to post
14 hours ago, deliciousscones said:

I lost faith in the show' continuity ages ago.

For example: the girls didn't go to a strip club for Toni's bachelorette party, they had strippers at the Beach Apartment. (I mean, in the grand scheme of continuity mistakes, this one isn't really that bad, especially compared to, say, Kelly and Steve's retconned backstory, but still)

2

Share Post


Link to post
21 hours ago, TimeyWimey52 said:

Uhh...that is not how cutting works. 

 

Sincerely, 

A therapist. kthxbye

OMG I know!  you would think jennie garth would look at the "we have a pamphlet at the clinic clinic and i read an article in the new york times" and say wait didnt kelly major in psychology i think she would have studied "cutting" in school and know a little more about it to at least give a brief description that is accurate. This show!

2

Share Post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, RosieRose221 said:

OMG I know!  you would think jennie garth would look at the "we have a pamphlet at the clinic clinic and i read an article in the new york times" and say wait didnt kelly major in psychology i think she would have studied "cutting" in school and know a little more about it to at least give a brief description that is accurate. This show!

And the description was pretty much like “cutttng is when someone cuts themselves”. Like the simplest explanation that Kelly got from her great pamphlet and nyt article.

Also this isn’t the first time a Brandon and Kelly fight went off into another direction. They start fighting about one thing and then take it a whole different direction, Kelly’s not mad about the magazine she’s mad that in LA every woman is held to a different unimaginable standard.. what? 

0

Share Post


Link to post

I had to jump in - my husband was the local producer on the Sean Young cutting movie! It was shot in Winnipeg, and Sean Young brought in someone to read everyone's auras. Mine apparently said I was a spendthrift, which...not so much. I believe it was shot in an old school - or that might have been the one with Darryl Hannah being kidnapped while pregnant.

5

Share Post


Link to post

I feel like this season we’re being violently thrown from one hot topic of the week to another, just like in the high school years but so much more insipid. It feels weird because when it was a show about teenagers, dealing with “issues” kinda made sense as that’s all part of growing up (on TV anyway). But having these 23 year olds who act like 35 year olds deal with things like cutting just doesn’t... seem right.

 

Note how Kelly’s acceptance of the sex shop and all its related whatever involves her buying a kama sutra book, so she’s ok with it as long as it also involves the exotification of other cultures. Jeez, Kelly, if only you had bled to death in that airport parking lot. 

3

Share Post


Link to post
On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, TeeVee329 said:

 

Also...Janet's parents are hippies?  Aren't they actually super conservative when we meet them, judge-y about her dating a non-Asian and furious about her getting pregnant out of wedlock?

THANK YOU! My reaction to Janet’s whole “my parents taught me sex was great” thing was either Janet is lying and trying to be the “cool girl” (which, no way) or these idiot writers will later forget this when Janet’s parents shun her for getting pregnant. I’m comfortably betting on the latter. And god forbid a woman on this show get to be sex positive (like old Kelly used to be) without getting punished for it in some way. 

1

Share Post


Link to post

Oh another thing. I can’t stand how this show is always referring to men and women as “the male species” or “the female species.” We’re all the same species!!!!

2

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, yousetmeupyoucrud said:

Jeez, Kelly, if only you had bled to death in that airport parking lot. 

Truer words my friend. Truer words.

4

Share Post


Link to post
3 hours ago, marny said:

THANK YOU! My reaction to Janet’s whole “my parents taught me sex was great” thing was either Janet is lying and trying to be the “cool girl” (which, no way) or these idiot writers will later forget this when Janet’s parents shun her for getting pregnant. I’m comfortably betting on the latter. 

I believe the hippy sex-positive parent story is later retconned by Janet herself as having been trying to look cool for Steve, but I'm sure as shit not gonna watch ahead to confirm/deny. 

0

Share Post


Link to post

It’s a testament to the awfulness of late BH90210 that I found the return of Muntz to be a “I kind of missed that guy” moment. If you’re missing Muntz there’s not much else to be excited about. 

4

Share Post


Link to post
Quote

Even now, it's rare to even hear it mentioned on cable/streaming shows let alone broadcast.

Does it count if it's Jersey Shore's The Situation saying it? (And he still used a euphemism, but baaaaarely.)

0

Share Post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, TeeVee329 said:

Matt bends likes a question mark to appease her

Omg...this made coming back into work after a nice week off worth it.  So freaking true.

And don't even get me started on the Kama Sutra! I'm Indian and so many people ask me about it.  Seriously, NO... just stop. But later on, don't Brandon and Kelly break up and they talk about how their sex life is a snooze? 

0

Share Post


Link to post

I don't know when the show decided they should be dealing with all these social and mental health issues. It's a night time/teen soap, and they tried to shoehorn multiple after-school specials into every episode. Even aside from their lack of basic knowledge/understanding of the issues, the tone is just completely wrong for the show. 

2

Share Post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Kerfuffler said:

I don't know when the show decided they should be dealing with all these social and mental health issues. It's a night time/teen soap, and they tried to shoehorn multiple after-school specials into every episode. Even aside from their lack of basic knowledge/understanding of the issues, the tone is just completely wrong for the show. 

They had a great model with Melrose and other Spelling soaps.  Seriously, instead of having a domesticated couple like Brandon/Kelly (snooze), you needed more hot sex preferably with Val and someone with either correct fitting pants or someone who isn't 20 years her senior.  Someone should be blackmailing that idiot Noah.  Maybe a spicy new stepmom? Or just go hog wild and have the PeachPit blown up or a mass assignation during Kelly's non-wedding.  Or have Brandon shot...by whom??

1

Share Post


Link to post
14 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

a mass assignation

Heh. Is that what they're calling an orgy these days? I love the idea of everyone being so bored at Kelly and Brandon's wedding that they all randomly start getting it on with each other.

Edited by purist.
3

Share Post


Link to post
5 hours ago, purist said:

Heh. Is that what they're calling an orgy these days? I love the idea of everyone being so bored at Kelly and Brandon's wedding that they all randomly start getting it on with each other.

Bwahahaha! I actually silent laughed so hard (boss next door is on a phone call) that my abs hurt.  I live to disprove the stereotype that all Indian kids spell well.  

1

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now