Castaways In The Media: What to Read When You're Stranded in the Middle of Nowhere

If Lost married Survivor and had a baby, they'd name it Castaways:

ABC has set a premiere date for Castaways, which it describes as “testing the human need for companionship under extreme circumstances as each individual learns there are other castaways out there but are unaware of how many, their locations or when they will be rescued.”

Series premieres August 7th.

Share Post

I am intrigued.  But I see this more of a Survivor mashup with Naked and Afraid--hopefully with less nudity--than with Lost.  The filming location looks awesome. 

Apparently people with "issues" were cast on the show, so they could show how the absence of the castaway affects the people back home, or perhaps to contrast the castaway's current situation with their regular life?  There's an immigrant fearing for his brother's fate back in Honduras, someone dealing with an empty nest and aging parents, a secret marriage with racial overtones, a recovering addict, a homeless person, a new stepfather adjusting to a blended family etc.  That sort of drama doesn't interest me.  I could care less how the Supermom's five generations are coping with the absence of their family lynch pin. 

What I do care about is this seems to be a bit of an interesting set of people cast into this new TV show.  These are not your usual fake-y good-looking pharmaceutical reps, bartenders, mactors or fame whores like we usually see on Survivor, The Bachelor, or Big Brother.  these days.  These are also not your honed and hardened survivalist types like you might see on Alone or Naked and Afraid.   There's a 390 lb man.  A 62yo woman.  A 50yo former Green Beret.  A young aspiring musician.  Someone who may be suffering from PTSD.  It is a really interesting mix of all types.

The premise also intrigues me.  From what I understand, the castaways will be abandoned alone and in scattered locations on some uninhabited islands in the South Pacific.  They are free to use anything that  washes up on shore, or what they find on the island.  If they can find each other, they can join up together.  It looks like production has sort of salted the locations with structures and flotsam and jetsam.  It remains to be seen if other items are released to float in with the tide as needs or production whims dictate.  They are there until they quit or get pulled.  I assume they have a camera crew with them rather than filming themselves like Alone.

I am cautiously optimistic.  I'm in.

Share Post

Answer to the question posed in the topic title: someone else's journal apparently... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share Post