S09.E08: A Gordon Ramsay Wedding

1 hour ago, Wings said:

When this show was new we all commented on how much we enjoyed Gordon as himself outside of Hell's Kitchen.  When that changed my disappointment was palpable.  

Yes, I think that Gordon has become a parody of himself.

There's a meanness to him that seems abusive.  We've all had times when we're not quite sure what we're doing, or when we're making an error.  Having some scream,  "oh my God, what is WRONG with you?" is the way to destroy confidence and have people give up.  

With some of the recent scandals in the restaurant industry, it's tough to watch these professionals display exactly the kind of behavior that gets them in trouble outside of the show.

Share Post

Gordon seemed meaner this episode, I think Joe would have been about the same if he was in the kitchen. Juni deserved to be eliminated, I hope Ramsay's insult towards Matt wasn't about his appearance.

Share Post

46 minutes ago, backformore said:

With some of the recent scandals in the restaurant industry, it's tough to watch these professionals display exactly the kind of behavior that gets them in trouble outside of the show.

Good point. 

21 minutes ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Gordon seemed meaner this episode, I think Joe would have been about the same if he was in the kitchen. Juni deserved to be eliminated, I hope Ramsay's insult towards Matt wasn't about his appearance.

I don't remember what Matt looks like and a quick google didn't bring him up.  Is there a defining feature?

Share Post

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Good point. 

I don't remember what Matt looks like and a quick google didn't bring him up.  Is there a defining feature?

He doesn't have a defining characteristic - which in this hodgepodge should make him stand out.  Age anywhere from 30  to 45, black glasses, average height and build, modest demeanor.  The show says he's an optometrist, but he also looks like an accountant.  He's Everyman.

Share Post

21 hours ago, RalphieW said:

In case you have forgotten, Shaun and Taylor were originally from the same season.

But she didn’t make the cut to actually be one of the contestants. Right? Didn’t she say this was the third time she auditioned and finally made it through this season?

And if that is the case, it’s not like she worked with him, competed against him to be all gushy and in awe of him as if he were Gordon Ramsay or Wolfgang Puck.

Share Post

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But she didn’t make the cut to actually be one of the contestants. Right? Didn’t she say this was the third time she auditioned and finally made it through this season?

And if that is the case, it’s not like she worked with him, competed against him to be all gushy and in awe of him as if he were Gordon Ramsay or Wolfgang Puck.

They actually spend really long time together before the original cast of maybe top 80 slowly cut down to the final top 20 as far as I know. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, Wings said:

I despise the challenges where they serve 100 people.  Amature cooks don't have the skill to do this and it makes for terrible TV.  Not fun. 

I’ve catered parties for 200 .... by myself .... and I’m no professional. LOL, but I also had days to prepare, not a couple of hours. I wonder how good the food tasted with such a short window to get it on a plate.

Share Post

56 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’ve catered parties for 200 .... by myself .... and I’m no professional. LOL, but I also had days to prepare, not a couple of hours. I wonder how good the food tasted with such a short window to get it on a plate.

I think they probably fill up on booze and bread and wedding cake. It always looks like a lot of guests leave a ton on their plates.

Share Post

I just saw that Lindsay (lesbian) is from Orange MA.  That is the town next to where I lived for 45 years!  I did grocery shopping there.   Small rural town with a Walmart, hardware and grocery basically.  Cool!   Stephen King just filmed a series, Castle Rock, there that comes out on Hulu later this month.  Never has it seen this much action!  

Share Post

I’m friends with Lindsay on FB, she’s a very interesting person in regard to food. She comes across as more of a professional chef than we’re led to see on the show.

Share Post

On 7/12/2018 at 12:28 AM, biakbiak said:

They had them switch teams. 

I thought that was unnecessarily cruel.  You've picked your team, now you get the team of people you didn't want?

On 7/12/2018 at 2:41 AM, spiderpig said:

Did Gordon get an online ordination, or was the "ceremony" just performance art?

I was wondering the same thing.  Either he got an online "minister" license or the wedding was performed at some other time.

Not to mention, before Gordon performed the "ceremony" Shaun was waxing poetic about how MasterChef changed his life.  Who has ever gone to a wedding and wanted to hear the groom babble?

On 7/12/2018 at 9:58 PM, Colorado David said:

(aside from trophy bride, good lord Shaun you can do better)

Did you see Shaun's season?  I'm thinking this is the best he could have hoped for.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:00 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And then Shaun saying he wants Duck and then says it better be perfect. Like every dish he cooked in his season was perfect. Then later he says he hopes no one fucks up cooking the duck because it’s not easy and that they know to render it. Then cue to...Chelsea (?) saying EXACTLY what that tool Shaun did.

Besides which, who picks duck for their wedding dinner?  There are a lot of people who wouldn't be up for duck, and that's the only choice?

Share Post

On 7/13/2018 at 8:41 PM, RalphieW said:

Possible guesses: veganism, scandalous facebook replies from aeons ago, no cookbook. 

But honestly I don't believe any of those was the case. I guess someone in the production crew must genuinely hate him for some reason. To this date, how Season 8 was carried out (I do think it's the only delectable season of MCUS and it's dispiriting to see they completely steered away from that and made it into a shitshow in Season 9), how Dino clinched his victory and how Dino was chosen as a winner (no those two are not the same thing) was still an utter mystery to me. 

IMO, last season's winner was a done deal the minute Joe showed up in the finale and said "Dino cooks like my mother."  I heard that, and I thought, "Mic drop!"

Share Post

10 minutes ago, queenanne said:

IMO, last season's winner was a done deal the minute Joe showed up in the finale and said "Dino cooks like my mother."  I heard that, and I thought, "Mic drop!"

In the finale episodes it's rather obvious that it was Dino to lose but what I meant was, well, judges don't decide on the winner without the producers' heavy input. Ordinarily, there should have been incentives behind Dino's winning. But from the way Dino was edited (his portrayal on screen was worse than the person he is, and he didn't have a relatable back story of any kind) and the pitiful treatment he's received afterwards, I simply failed to figure out what could be the incentives.

Share Post

On 7/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, Surrealist said:

She’s either a cocktail server or a "dancer."

Funny observation, I said the same thing to my wife. Of course if she is a server, it probably is at a joint with strippers.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'm starting to lean toward the "Shanika is a production plant" conspiracy theory.  When her team's mashed potato prep is being so roundly jeered at by Gordon Ramsay, she makes one random exclamation of "fondant potatoes!" and suddenly Gordo is all over that and the menu changes. 

I agree. It was interesting that they kept giving her TH’s to second guess and criticize what Juni was doing, yet when it was time to replace him, she stood in the back and kept her pie hole shut. For someone who seems to have no problem telling others what to do, that was the perfect opportunity for either her or GR to have her put her money where her big mouth is. 

On 7/12/2018 at 10:00 PM, RalphieW said:

I know this is an untimely comment but I sorely miss Dino.

I don’t. 

Share Post

This episode seemed overly scripted, and completely fake, more so than previous episodes. The “guests” at the wedding seemed more like Central Character Casting extras than friends and/or family. The actual ceremony was as phony as Mrs Shauns mammalian protruberances and skin tone, and the manufactured drama over the four raw duck plates, which conveniently all ended up at the same table, was total BS. 

The only surprise was Juni, who’s performance was worse than his hairstyle, was sent packing. It seems whenever the last cut is between a “character”, and a somewhat normal looking/acting person, the character always remains, no matter how awful their performance. 

BTW, has anyone ever been to a wedding reception where the only entree choices are duck and scallops? 

Share Post

2 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

BTW, has anyone ever been to a wedding reception where the only entree choices are duck and scallops? 

No. It’s usually chicken or shrimp, cold with dipping sauce.

Share Post