Season 1 Discussion

Discuss the first season of Impulse here.

Share Post

I was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it, heh, so here're the brief descriptions from IMDb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6160506/episodes?year=2018&ref_=tt_eps_yr_2018 ).

It was well done, IMO. 

Pilot (1.1) 
When Cleo's boyfriend, Thomas, decides to sell Henry's car, Henry enlists the help of high school basketball star, Clay Boone, to steal it back. But when Henry experiences inexplicable seizures, things quickly escalate beyond her control.

State of Mind: (1.2) 
After a visit with a neurologist, Henry hopes her new meds will fix everything. Meanwhile, Bill Boone attempts to identify his son Clay's attacker.

Treading Water (1.3)
Rattled by her newfound power, Henry tests her ability with the help of Thomas's daughter, Jenna Hope, and fellow outsider, Townes Linderman.

Vita/Mors (1.4)
After finding herself in an unknown place, Henry seeks out Jenna and Townes in search of some answers.

The Eagle and the Bee (1.5)
Left with no one's support, Henry returns to the unknown place only to discover a startling connection to her past.

In Memoriam (1.6)
While Henry returns to Reston with someone from her past, Clay faces some harsh truths about his new reality.

He Said, She Said (1.7)
After Henry and Clay have a fight, Cleo tries to make amends by inviting the Boones over for dinner. But the evening takes a devastating turn.

Awakenings (1.8)
As Cleo fights for her daughter's well-being, Henry battles her own inner demons.

They Know Not What They Do (1.9)
As Henry sets out to find her mother, Cleo navigates an unwanted showdown between Bill Boone and his business associates.

New Beginnings (1.10)
After a heart-to-heart with Cleo, Henry faces a life-altering decision: leave Reston for a fresh start, or stay with the Hope family and confront her enemies.

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it ...

LOL right! I wish this board would have been around when the show premiered.

loved this show. Just fantastic imo. I didn't like Henry per se, but I found her interesting. I really hope they get a season 2.

Edited by peachmangosteen.

Share Post

On 6/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

i was really hot to discuss this show when I binge watched it 2 weeks ago, but now I can barely remember most of it, heh, so

Same here, I had to start the last episode again just to remember what the show was about. Thanks for the recap. I may have to watch all the episodes again just to get to my talking points. One thing that I still don't like, Clay still has not apologized, he prefers to play the victim card despite both his brother and his dad knowing what he attempted. I really like the natural progressions of Henry and Jenna's relationship and Henry and Townes'. In the end Henry saves Clay's life and instead of thanking her, he threatens to out her.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

One thing that I still don't like, Clay still has not apologized, he prefers to play the victim card despite both his brother and his dad knowing what he attempted. I really like the natural progressions of Henry and Jenna's relationship and Henry and Townes'. In the end Henry saves Clay's life and instead of thanking her, he threatens to out her.

Clay is not likeable, but I appreciate the realistic way he is portrayed. I'm glad they didn't have him be apologetic because people who feel entitled to impose their will on others don't generally change. Becoming paralyzed is probably one of the few life-changing events that could make an entitled person not feel so entitled anymore, but first he has to go through all the stages of anger, grief, and loss, and then, still, he is more likely to get stuck in the bitter angry mode, given his pre-paralyzed personality and social status. But a second season could end with personal growth for him if he's not a sociopath, heh. 

One thing keeps nagging at me: Did Henry's mom go off with some guy (presumably to cheat on Tom with after they argued) and the guy was then found dead? 

Share Post

Let's see if I can remember, Henry's mom loves 'em and leaves 'em. She was sort of contemplating leaving her latest guy (Jenna's Dad) or at least hooking up with the guy at the bar. Then Henry's words finally sink in and the next scene, she's shown moving boxes, in what appears to be another boyfriend switch but is really her finally unpacking after deciding to stay with Tom. Are you asking if that guy in the bar was eventually found dead? Shit!! I don't remember that part. I would have to see the episode again. If anybody would kill the bar guy it would be Rennie's character, Nicolai. Although what the motive would be I have no clue. I cannot seem to find an in-depth review of the episode but here's a positive review of what the series is doing right.

‘Impulse’ is a smart take on the high-school superpower drama

Edited by Jacks-Son.

Share Post

In which episode did the bar scene take place?

Share Post

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Clay is not likeable, but I appreciate the realistic way he is portrayed. I'm glad they didn't have him be apologetic because people who feel entitled to impose their will on others don't generally change

This is a very delicate topic and I hope I don't offend anyone. It's a situation that is more common than it should be but it's never the actual topic of discussion. One thing I did like the way the show handled  was the whole Clay situation, whether he shows contrition or not, Henry admitted that she kissed Clay and that she wanted to have sex, but then she said no. Her mother understood with clarity, the way the assault transpired. Just saying "No", and to have no say in what happens to your body and to be forced into an act that is not what you want IS rape and the show didn't tiptoe around it. I believe Clay, in HIS MIND, doesn't see it as rape because he felt Henry was willing and that to him, nothing really happened, that's his delusion and he feels what he did doesn't warrant what Henry did to him. Too bad, that's a lesson with a high price. I'm more torn about Lucas' actions. While initially defending his brother, when he found out the full situation, he was disgusted with his brother's behavior. His murder of the Amish boy at the direction of his father showed Lucas to be a boy who simply wanted his father to be proud of him like he was proud of Clay. Who knows what he intended to do to Henry when he wa alone with her in the garage and she was trapped in the trunk of his car. Did he intend to question her forcefully? (probably) He's luck he didn't get a chance to.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I'm more torn about Lucas' actions. While initially defending his brother, when he found out the full situation, he was disgusted with his brother's behavior. His murder of the Amish boy at the direction of his father showed Lucas to be a boy who simply wanted his father to be proud of him like he was proud of Clay. Who knows what he intended to do to Henry when he wa alone with her in the garage and she was trapped in the trunk of his car. Did he intend to question her forcefully? (probably) He's luck he didn't get a chance to.

It seems that the writers didn't have a completely formed idea of Lucas's personality. Forcing a girl into the trunk of a car and murdering someone both shout lack of empathy or, in the vernacular of TV, "sociopath." But then he's mad at Clay for not accepting "no means no" when a girl changes her mind? I'm not sure how that fits.

ETA: I guess Lucas is likely mad because he did those things (trunk stuffing and murder) for Clay and their father, but now it turns out he Clay brought it on himself (more or less--he didn't know when he agreed to help Henry get her car back that he was dealing with someone with uncontrolled, potentially lethal superpowers). 

I can't recall: Was Lucas ever empathetic towards the family who lost their son (who Lucas killed)? 

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I can't recall: Was Lucas ever empathetic towards the family who lost their son (who Lucas killed)? 

No, he was not, he was only mad at his father for forcing him to kill an innocent kid. Not empathetic or remorseful, just pissed at his dad. That whole town is filled with questionable characters. Religious folks, (Amish, Luddites?) who manufacture opioids. A sheriff and a car dealer who are complicit in ruining the lives of their kids. The only person who is halfway decent is an Autistic kid who wanted to beat the shit out of Clay when he found out that he assaulted his friend Henry. And a few teens like Jenna and a deputy who wants to do the right thing. Even Henry has morals and saved the guy who raped her when she could've easily teleported to safety.

Share Post

On 6/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, shapeshifter said:

I believe he was, but I don't think the writing spelled it out.

He was with the guy's mom at the end though.

Share Post