Daria Revival in the Works

Remember Daria? MTV Wants to Bring Her Back

The network on Thursday announced it is bringing back "Daria" in the form of a new series, tentatively titled "Daria & Jodie."

The new show, written by "Inside Amy Schumer" scribe Grace Edwards, will focus on Daria Morgendorffer and her friend Jodie Landon.

"These two smart young women take on the world, with their signature satirical voice while deconstructing popular culture, social classes, gender and race," according to a description provided by MTV.

The show's revival is part of a larger strategy to develop new series and find ways to bring back iconic properties from the network's 35-year history, work that will be done via MTV Studios, a new unit announced Thursday.

Share Post

This may make me a bad fan, but nooooooooo. The original series was close to perfect, IMO. Reboots always seem to end up tainting the original show. Sigh.

Why not just re-run the '97 series?

Share Post

I find it odd that they want to center this new series on Daria and Jodie, because let's get real here, Jodie was also a fairly flat character, with not a lot of dimension to her. I think there was one episode in the original series where she mentions the pressure of being the model minority and I feel like that's most of what her character was about and the voice actress was not particularly strong. Hell, Daria and Jodie were not even friends in the original series, more like acquaintances.

Still, I loved Daria, and I don't think it has to be a bad thing to reboot the show for a 2018 climate. If they do it right, it could work. 

Share Post

I think it could work if done right.  Having a writer for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt at the helm is a step in the right direction.  Plus it's nice to have a woman as the lead writer for a show about women.  Here is some more about it:

When you say you're developing new and reimagined iconic series for franchises for SVOD and linear partners, what does that mean? Are you talking about MTV and Viacom launching an SVOD platform for originals, or are you talking about selling this to a third party, like Amazon, Apple, Hulu or Netflix?

The latter. We want to create great stories and let this IP live on. We have one of the largest youth libraries. In the first 30 years [of MTV] nobody was making cable content, so we had to make it ourselves. We're in the luxurious position of having owned most of our IP.  So much of our history has been about looking forward and not looking back. But the world has changed and so much growth is happening for everybody, from Marvel and ABC to NBC, through reimaginations of amazing IP. We stopped and thought that we were leaving something behind that is way more valuable than we realized. Once we started talking to people, they got really excited about how important these characters and franchises were to them. Daria was a good example. We brought on Grace Edwards as the writer and she is a huge fan of Daria. The story she wants to tell of Dariais different, it's about Daria and Jodie and two close friends taking on the world today and what's happening in our culture at large. It's less about the monetization and more about telling great stories. Of course, we're going to make money but it's about taking this IP and bring it into the future and doing these shows on platforms where audiences make the most sense. 

Edited by Brn2bwild.

Share Post

I have nothing against Jodie, but she and Daria were never close friends, as someone said above. Where is Jane in all of this?

Share Post

12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have nothing against Jodie, but she and Daria were never close friends, as someone said above. Where is Jane in all of this?

There's a lot we don't know yet.  It might just be called "Daria" by the end, but feature Jodie more.  I doubt they would dump Jane, unless this takes place when they're adults and Jane is living somewhere else.

Share Post

On 6/22/2018 at 11:37 AM, nosleepforme said:

I find it odd that they want to center this new series on Daria and Jodie, because let's get real here, Jodie was also a fairly flat character, with not a lot of dimension to her. I think there was one episode in the original series where she mentions the pressure of being the model minority and I feel like that's most of what her character was about and the voice actress was not particularly strong. Hell, Daria and Jodie were not even friends in the original series, more like acquaintances.

Still, I loved Daria, and I don't think it has to be a bad thing to reboot the show for a 2018 climate. If they do it right, it could work. 

I loved Jodie. She was fleshed out in a few subsequent episodes, if I recall correctly.
I want to see a promo, trailer or something more before I jump on the wagon however.

Share Post

On 6/24/2018 at 2:56 PM, Brn2bwild said:

There's a lot we don't know yet.  It might just be called "Daria" by the end, but feature Jodie more.  I doubt they would dump Jane, unless this takes place when they're adults and Jane is living somewhere else.

From what I've read the show is being called a "reinvention" of the original series, which I take to mean it will be set in high school and meant to appeal to the younger audience MTV always aims for. I don't know how I feel about that; I would prefer them to follow Daria and Jane as thirty-somethings, dealing with the culture and climate now with their same, but more mature, outlook. 

I don't at all mind for Jodie to be more fleshed out and front and center, though. She always intrigued me for all the relatively little we saw of her over the original series. I do want Jane in there as a part of the friend group, though, or it just won't quite be the Daria I know and love.

Share Post

And I'm assuming that they are aiming for the audience that watched the original, so I'm thinking that it will most likely be Daria as a thirty-something.

I kinda like the idea of a revival, but the show was a product of it's time, so it may not work as well today. In particular, I think that snarky, sarcastic, outsider characters are more prevalent nowadays, so it wouldn't be the same.

Share Post

Daria and Jodie weren't close friends.. but I think they were equals intellectually and had a mutual respect for one another.  The Gifted episode especially showed how Jodie wish she was a little more like Daria and Daria admitted she wished she was a little more like Jodie.  

Share Post