Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back: it's not really grabbing me. A biggee is that they complete in one episode, which doesn't give you a lot of time to get to know anybody (his prior nightmare shows occurred over several days but typically completed in one episode.) They give you more time on the construction of the new place, which unless you're into construction isn't all that interesting and takes away from GR talking with the people, which seems to be what makes his shows work. The 18 wheeler that is his rolling kitchen/giant tv screen - ok that's novel, but it's not fun to look at - it's a maxxed out food truck that they show the day's chefs how to fix a few things.

A good thing, tho I'm doubting the veracity of it - hidden cameras in the restaurants before he shows up to fix things, so he can see all the rights/wrongs going on. Regardless of the reasons given, the restaurant staff has to know something is up when strangers come in and wire things up (I guess they could do it in the closed hours, but that sounds even more suspicious.)

I hope it gets better, but I don't have high hopes. Bring back Hotel Hell, that was fun to watch.

Share Post

Doesn't look like there's a board for this. It does seem to be a spiritual successor to Kitchen Nightmares in any case.

I agree I'm not sure if this is grabbing me much yet. I don't care for family drama, and prefer to see the renovations and the cooking improvements.

As for the setup, they covered that in the first episode. They said the owners were told they were part of the pilot for a new show about restaurants, so that was the excuse for putting the cameras in and wiring the place up. The restaurant folk supposedly didn't know it was a Ramsey show until he revealed himself. 

Granted, this is all Hollywood manipulation, so it could be all faked just for the show. But at least they had an "In universe" explanation for how/why the restaurant was wired up before Ramsey shows up, and why the owners and workers don't know to expect Ramsey. 

Share Post

ah thx, i missed that bit. i guess with all the cooking shows that is plausible.

did Kitchen Nightmares do bad in the ratings? I always enjoyed watching it, it seemed way less rushed. And Hotel Hell like I said was fun too - there's no shortage of mid-level hotels/motels he could do stories on.

Share Post

Kitchen Nightmares was doing fine. There was just no way to top the Amy's Baking Company episode.

Share Post

I watched it. Very disappointed for reasons everyone has mentioned already. I like Gordon's other shows but not this one. He must be the busiest man in the world with his 4+ TV shows and 32 restaurants all over the world.

Share Post