The Couples: Happily Never After?

Watched the first episode and so not impressed. 

Share Post

I'm not sure what it accomplished that they couldn't have figured out on their own without a show helping them crash 3 weddings. I hope the bride & groom were compensated somehow for the wedding being televised -or maybe they were re-enactments- or staged just for this show & promotion of certain locations, performers, etc.

Share Post

I actually really enjoyed the first episode because the potential bride and groom were, IMHO, very likable AND because there may be a PMS-family wedding to be planned in the not too distant future in that area so it was very enlightening to get a basic idea of some of the costs (except $750 for a solo singer/guitarist playing Hawaiian music???? I call complete BS, even if he played for the entire night ... unless they had to pay his airfare from Hawaii)

But YES, I kept wondering how on earth they were able to convince the actual three couples to let these people crash their weddings (frankly, though, I feel the same way when I watch "Four Weddings" ... maybe even more strongly, because at least in the premiere episode, I thought the couple were very tactful and complimentary and pleasant about the three weddings they attended, whereas with "Four Weddings" their so-called "NEW FRIENDS" pretty much trash the weddings, or elements of the wedding, to excuse their down-scoring/lowballing them (though I have noticed they almost NEVER trash the dress ... it always "fits her perfectly" and is "just her style, though not my style" ... maybe that's an unspoken rule). 

Share Post

Agree with everything you said. I wonder if the pitch to these people getting married is "your wedding is on TV! We'll all know how much you paid for stuff!" The engaged couple was very polite, I would be super scared to say anything rude on camera about a total stranger's wedding. And yes, Four Weddings probably does ask the brides never to say anything nasty about the dresses. Leave the dresses alone, talk smack about everything else!

Share Post

On 6/14/2018 at 5:53 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I actually really enjoyed the first episode because the potential bride and groom were, IMHO, very likable AND because there may be a PMS-family wedding to be planned in the not too distant future in that area so it was very enlightening to get a basic idea of some of the costs (except $750 for a solo singer/guitarist playing Hawaiian music???? I call complete BS, even if he played for the entire night ... unless they had to pay his airfare from Hawaii)

\

That price for the musician didn't surprise me. It costs upwards of $2500 to hire a 5 piece band where I live in the midwest.

Share Post

I've liked both couples so far. As far as the weddings they attend, I'm sure the couples are compensated somehow. Lots of people want to be on TV. I can't even imagine how much trouble and how expensive it would be to hire actors and stage these weddings.

Share Post

I wonder if TLC films the entirety of these weddings and then the couples get free videography, basically. That would be an incentive.

Share Post

Yeah, they leave out a lot of expenses. Venue, dress, food and drink, then extras that the couple say they want. It is definitely not a comprehensive accounting!

Share Post

I'm caught up through the first two episodes now and I REALLY liked both of the first two couples (Corey and Chris cracked me up, him especially ... glad he got his red suit!) ... I especially like how restrained production is compared to, say, Four Weddings in terms of going totally cheeseball on the histrionics and embarrassing shuffle-ball-step introductions.

Now I'm stoked to see the third episode since it sounds like this is gonna be snarkworthy groomzilla! 

I've also noticed that certain expenses I'd expect to be high on the "must list" such as photography (and not sure if that includes videography), DJ, etc. is not shown on the five items they show on the screen before the reveal, but then again that list doesn't add up to the final amount ... 

I guess what I would want to know is the full costs of the venue, food and drink, photography/videography, DJ or band, etc. is ... as well as any other extras they may have added (cake, which I guess is often brought in from elsewhere and I would want to know that separate from the food, ice sculptures, stupid photo booth) ... and am curious how much the size of the guest list factors into that (I guess if it's a buyout it doesn't factor as much as if it's per-plate dinners in a rented hall). 

It seems we get the price for the aerialist pouring champagne, the Hawaiian guitarist, and the talking parrot but not some of the other key costs (I've only seen two episodes and my memory is not 100% but I remember that food, alcohol, venue are always shown but not a lot of the other items ... I guess they show gown because that seems to be topic of discussion.

PS To correct my own misconception re: the cost of the Hawaiian guitarist, my daughter told me that she was actually paid $500 to play and sing one song on acoustic guitar as processional at someone's wedding in that area not that long ago so I guess that the going price is higher than I would have thought.

Is it standard when tallying up cost of wedding (ceremony and reception) to include the bride's gown? What about hair and makeup for bride and attendants (I know attendants buy their own dresses) ... Does that mean it also includes the groom's clothes? 

I'm still trying to figure out how the wedding in Episode 2 on the rooftop of the hotel, beautiful as it was, could cost SOOOOOO much more than some of the other lovely weddings did! Did anyone here catch that or figure it out?

Share Post

Ok the all American cop...…….please Jesus.....down on the floor shaking his booty in the air.  He wore me out...…...I can tell you that will wear thin in about two years

Share Post

I thought the bride looked a bit understandably irked with him (& the wedding planner) sometimes. I agree with all here that his behavior at the weddings was obnoxious; he wasn't a 'real' guest & should've had some common courtesy. The quick peck kisses while each couple were saying their vows seemed for the camera; I wonder how sincere he is with their relationship, or if he's very controlling with everything else too. Yeah, I don't really see them ending well but maybe she's got something where they do mesh- hopefully for them.

Share Post

So we're 3-for-4 on likable couples now (though I hate to knock sweet Marquie out of the running, she needs to dump that obnoxious douchebag and run fast now!) ... LOVED the Vietnamese/Cambodian couple! She's gorgeous and he's absolutely adorkable. Not to be a broken record, but I think the show is smart to have MOSTLY couples you like and want to see have a great wedding! I have enough shows where I can snark-hate on the fame-ho's. 

ETA: Apologies for not 100% remembering if I have this right but was Marquie the one who used the term "this is right up my alley" approximately eleventy-million times during their episode? I threw a fuzzy slipper at the screen at one point.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap.

Share Post

I've also been pretty impressed with the diversity if the couples---not only with those going to look at weddings but with those getting married.  It's so smart because the traditions are all so different and the food isn't all "chicken or fish?" at every wedding.

Share Post

I was pleased we are getting same-sex weddings and diverse couples.

Share Post

5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I was pleased we are getting same-sex weddings and diverse couples.

Ditto ... You'd think with all the wedding shows I've been watching I'd be a hardened soul but I had goosebumps AND shed a few tears of joy during the "Vietnamese or Vegas" wedding vows of Davion and Bruce ... but when I did a quick Google to make sure I was spelling their names right, I found their wedding website which said they were getting married at a country club in DTLA ... that didn't look like any country club I'd seen, on a high-rise rooftop ... wonder if they changed their plans or needed to make it a fakeout because of the fact it was being televised (OR, perhaps, it was a "faux wedding" for TV?) ... No matter what, they were so adorable. 

Share Post

On 7/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Ditto ... You'd think with all the wedding shows I've been watching I'd be a hardened soul but I had goosebumps AND shed a few tears of joy during the "Vietnamese or Vegas" wedding vows of Davion and Bruce ... but when I did a quick Google to make sure I was spelling their names right, I found their wedding website which said they were getting married at a country club in DTLA ... that didn't look like any country club I'd seen, on a high-rise rooftop ... wonder if they changed their plans or needed to make it a fakeout because of the fact it was being televised (OR, perhaps, it was a "faux wedding" for TV?) ... No matter what, they were so adorable. 

I was curious what their venue was, so I did a bit of googling and I think they got married at the City Club.  It's a private club in DTLA, members are mostly professionals who work downtown.  

Share Post

Thanks, Evangeline! What a view!!!

Also, was surprised to see them "recycle" a venue on last night's episode (the 1909 in Topanga Canyon) ... I recognized it immediately but thought, well, maybe there are several places that look like this because it's odd they'd use a place twice but at the end I did see the sign to confirm. It's lovely. 

Share Post

I saw it was the 1909 too, I'd never heard of this place before and now everyone is swarming to it!

Share Post