The Blotter Presents 059: The Staircase And Forensic Files

Ok.....how can the editor of this show fall in love with this guy? 1) I would stay away from any guy even just "accused" of pushing his wife (and possibly a family friend) down the stairs 2) this guy does not have an attractive, warm personality. Think about it...she's the EDITOR...and probably made him seem better than he actually is. Which means he is likely much worse in person. I'm only halfway through this show and I'm already sick of looking at him. 

Edited by TimeyWimey52.

Share Post

Isn’t the issue with the DNA testing that the state noted it was for testing but was then diverted to Deavers for his personal science fair experiments before and instead of DNA which is either evidence of nefariousness that they didn’t want anything to complicated their pre-decided story or basic incompetence in their tunnel vision on Peterson stopped them from basic due diligence. And now the evidence can’t be tested, disadvantaging the defence. You can say defence should have requested it but I tend to think it is the responsibility of the state to do such basic things. 

I think I had a more neutral view of the doco style than you guys. No doubt the frenchies think him a victim of miscarriage of yankee justice but I find it hard to reconcile having a thumb too much on the scale with letting MP waffle on with depthless narcissism and just general unreadable weirdness in full display.  I never really felt inhibited from making my own judgements by it anyway, the way I do with other obviously manipulative things. 

I think MP doing it is the most likely scenario because t I’ve always been stuck on the lack of skull trauma to go with lacerations and blood. (I have a memory of already saying this on this board somewhere, forgive the repetition). The owl theory is probably wrong and the damn blowpoke theory definitely is but they are attractive because they do explain that central problem.  

The Kathryn & bisexuality thing was a big revelation as was (if true) Rudolf’s thing that they found the damn blowpoke and put it back all the time they were carrying on in court about it being missing.  Yikes.  

I agree it’s run its course but I’m kinda sad it’s over, I remember watching it when it was first on TV (Australian tv before illegal downloading and Netflix -slim quality true crime pickings!) and I have to give it its due for committing to what they wanted to do.

Share Post

I really shouldn't have gotten so much glee at Robert Bosley's chimney sweep cosplay monument.  

Share Post

13 hours ago, starri said:

I really shouldn't have gotten so much glee at Robert Bosley's chimney sweep cosplay monument.  

I don't think I've ever seen this FF ep, but the Snapped one for sure mentions Robert's chimney sweep business as the way he made his fortune that was spent on houseboats. I remember being surprised that there was such a houseboat scene in Northern Kentucky, but what do I know.

I've had my fill of Peterson at this point. My thought when I found out about the relationship with the editor was "of course." This whole lot of entitled a-holes can go jump in the Eno River. The scorn and disdain they showed Kathleen's family was just despicable. 

I never bought that Kathleen knew about Michael's extracurriculars. This happens way too often...the surviving spouse claims the deceased one knew all about the affair(s) and was "fine with it." See Laci Peterson and a million others. No way, no how. I'm not buying it. 

Share Post

15 hours ago, edithkeeler said:

Isn’t the issue with the DNA testing that the state noted it was for testing but was then diverted to Deavers for his personal science fair experiments before and instead of DNA which is either evidence of nefariousness that they didn’t want anything to complicated their pre-decided story or basic incompetence in their tunnel vision on Peterson stopped them from basic due diligence. And now the evidence can’t be tested, disadvantaging the defence. You can say defence should have requested it but I tend to think it is the responsibility of the state to do such basic things. 

Yeah, I agree that the state made some missteps, but I could also see how the decision not to DNA test could have been made.  Without any sign of an intruder or anything missing from the house, why would they have thought somebody else's DNA would be present?  And would 2001 DNA testing have been sensitive enough to pick up anything other than blood the attacker would have had to have shed?  Yes, it's too bad we don't have those results now and that the evidence wasn't well-preserved enough to test it now.  I'm just saying I think the decision could have been made out of something other than incompetence or malice.

But even with DNA results, I don't think we're ever going to know any more than we already do about what happened that night.  My personal theory is that Kathleen confronted narcissist Michael Peterson about something (could have been something on his computer, could have been any number of things with this guy), he decides he'll "show her" and does something to precipitate her injuries and eventual death.  But of course I can't prove any of that, aside from my observance that everything Michael Peterson seems to do/say is glib and insincere from the 911 call on through 13 hours of documentary footage.  

I agree with the general discussion on the podcast: The Staircase didn't need 3 more episodes of this except, I guess, to come full circle and complete the story.  I just really didn't need to see any more of Michael Peterson's "woe is me" interviews, or really to hear any more of anybody from that family talking about how gosh-darn unfair the justice system is to them as affluent white folks.

Share Post

I always had problems believing how happily married Kathleen and Michael were just because I can't imagine being happy having to listen to the whiny, nasally, bloviating voice every.damn.day.

Share Post