All Episodes Talk: Tomorrow's Chicago Sun-Times, Today

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I really enjoyed this show when I was younger.  It's interesting to think about it now, in an era when print media is less pervasive.  This may be one show that could never be remade.

Kyle Chandler has always been a good everyman, at least as far back as this show.  He was great as Gary.  I loved the friendship between Gary and Marissa.  And of course the cat was my favorite character.

Share Post

I was able to catch a lot of the newly scheduled Tuesday mini-marathons on the METV network. 

This show has so much heart and appeal. It's a great antidote to a host of ills.

Within the first season, episodes 14 and 15, "The Wall (Part 1)" and "The Wall (Part 2)," are not only a great story, but an excellent example of how to reveal some of the origin story for a supernatural show that neither boxes the future writers in too tightly nor annoys the viewers with too many unknowns.

The following episode, 1.16, "Bat Masterson," is also strong, with a great set up and resolution, excellent guest cast, and heart warming without too much emotional manipulation.

9 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It's interesting to think about it now, in an era when print media is less pervasive.  This may be one show that could never be remade.

I think it could be updated to someone receiving tomorrow's tweets today, but then how would a cat or other animal tie in? And getting a cast with that much charisma is always more happenstance than anything.

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

Particularly memorable parts of episodes: 

1. Gary reads about his own upcoming death (in a collapsing building) and is drawn inside to save others.  Ending @ 41:50-46:00 

2. Also enjoyable is the episode that shows how young Gary's life was saved, how he received the future responsibility of the paper, and then he designates his successor @  35:00-42:00

Share Post

Currently rewatching this on Tuesdays(WMLW) & JAG on Wednesdays.  Hard to believe how old they are, which means how old I am. And they both hold up so well. I think it would be hard for Gary to get away with a lot of what he did, in today's world, cell phones=images.  

Share Post

On 6/8/2018 at 6:12 PM, MisterGlass said:

I really enjoyed this show when I was younger.  It's interesting to think about it now, in an era when print media is less pervasive.  This may be one show that could never be remade.

The new show "God Friended Me" looks to be very "Early Edition", but with facebook & tweets instead of a newspaper :)

Share Post

4 hours ago, Charlesman said:

The new show "God Friended Me" looks to be very "Early Edition", but with facebook & tweets instead of a newspaper :)

Yeah, after watching the extended trailer, I see what you mean. But it also looks like they might be going for the gratutious weeping like This Is Us, which I refuse to watch. So I'm not sure. Plus, the lead seems more like a Chuck Fishman personality than a Gary HobbsHobson.

Edited by shapeshifter.

Share Post

Gary Hobson, I believe.

The new shows almost seems like a variation on "Person of Interest" as much as "Early Edition."  I suppose in some ways "Person of Interest" is a more technology driven and less event specific riff on "Early Edition."  They know who something may happen to, but have no idea what will happen.

Share Post

On 6/9/2018 at 3:02 AM, shapeshifter said:

This show has so much heart and appeal. It's a great antidote to a host of ills.

They had a lot of shows on TV at that time that offered a "good message".

Some of them specifically mentioned "you-know-who"  (Touched By An Angel, Promised Land. Joan of Arcadia)  and some didn't (Quantum Leap, Early Edition, Wonderfalls).

We sincerely need some more shows like that now (and less reality crap).

Share Post