American WomAll Episodes Discussion

While her relationship with Adam moves full-speed ahead, Bonnie's connection with her daughters is faltering; Kathleen emphasizes the importance of self-love; Diana and Alan have a big night out.

Share Post

Bonnie invites her coworker Louise to join her and her friends at her pool; Diana asks for a promotion at work, while she struggles to get along with her overbearing mother.

Share Post

I literally can't find this show on tv anymore.  I know its on Paramount but they must have changed the day and time.

Share Post

2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I literally can't find this show on tv anymore.  I know its on Paramount but they must have changed the day and time.

It's still showing up for me on Thursday nights at 9 pm CST. My provider is AT&T, UVerse. Hope you can track it down. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Are you able to google your cable provider and channel guide? That’s how I found it.

Share Post

What the hell was that?  I saw a bathroom and a party scene, and then it was over.  Ridiculous!  You can’t get interested in a show when it ends in two minutes.  WTF?

Share Post

11 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

It's still showing up for me on Thursday nights at 9 pm CST. My provider is AT&T, UVerse. Hope you can track it down. 

Showing here Long Island, N.Y.  Thursday 10 p.m.  A lousy half hour with five million commercials.

Share Post

At least there was Kathryn LaNasa on this episode. Otherwise, it was terrible.  I couldn't even find anything to laugh about. The scene of stoned Diana on the rooftop was cringe worthy. 

Was the "rock band" sitting around doing coke a loosely veiled Fleetwood Mac? The female singer gave off a (badly done) Stevie Nicks vibe as well as the name of her famous song. 

Share Post

22 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

What the hell was that?  I saw a bathroom and a party scene, and then it was over.  Ridiculous!  You can’t get interested in a show when it ends in two minutes.  WTF?

it really feels that way! this is the shortest 30 minute show in history. it needs to an hour long.

Share Post

3 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

At least there was Kathryn LaNasa on this episode. Otherwise, it was terrible.  I couldn't even find anything to laugh about. The scene of stoned Diana on the rooftop was cringe worthy. 

Was the "rock band" sitting around doing coke a loosely veiled Fleetwood Mac? The female singer gave off a (badly done) Stevie Nicks vibe as well as the name of her famous song. 

It feels as if they start with a really weak script and just film whatever the cast brings to it. There’s no director to try to improve such lame dialogue and storylines.

Share Post

It was like some bizarro combination of Stevie Nicks and Amy Sherman-Paladino (the woman who created Gilmore Girls and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Google her and look at her "style"). 

I really do feel like they have no clue what they are doing with this show.  The outfits and sets are great, but it's like we get five minutes of plot and that is the end of it. 

Edited by txhorns79.

Share Post

I feel like this show should have longer episodes. These just feel like random scenes that are too rushed to become a real story. 

But the 70s style! Oh the 70s style!

Share Post

That scene with the "junior loan officer" on the roof was basically ripped off from Almost Famous.

Share Post

On 6/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, txhorns79 said:

It was like some bizarro combination of Stevie Nicks and Amy Sherman-Paladino (the woman who created Gilmore Girls and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Google her and look at her "style"). 

I really do feel like they have no clue what they are doing with this show.  The outfits and sets are great, but it's like we get five minutes of plot and that is the end of it. 

Ha! Ha!  Very good comparison.

Share Post

I love the costuming and the hair, but this show is embarrassing. The agent was supposed to be Sue Mengers, who was a very interesting character in real life.

Share Post

Again, I feel like the show has no idea what it is trying to say.  Bonnie's storyline could be interesting, but the show treats her like she's a B-plot to the boredom that is Greg's storyline.  I don't care that's he's gay and struggling with it.  I can do without his terrible wig.

On the positive side, I really do like the actress who played Joan's mother on Mad Men, so it's nice to her, even if she's essentially playing the same character she played on that show. 

Share Post

55 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Again, I feel like the show has no idea what it is trying to say.  Bonnie's storyline could be interesting, but the show treats her like she's a B-plot to the boredom that is Greg's storyline.  I don't care that's he's gay and struggling with it.  I can do without his terrible wig.

On the positive side, I really do like the actress who played Joan's mother on Mad Men, so it's nice to her, even if she's essentially playing the same character she played on that show. 

Oh, thanks for sharing that. You’re right; she is playing the same character. She was probably the best thing about this episode.

Share Post

I’m going to go out on a limb here...I want to like the show, I really do. I love the 70’s vibe, the set, the clothes.  I don’t hate on big Kathy (I thought I would) yet. My big complaint, as others have said, is that it needs to be an hour show. I just start to get into a character and poof... the show is over. Not to mention the kazillion commercials.

Share Post

My big complaint, as others have said, is that it needs to be an hour show. I just start to get into a character and poof... the show is over. Not to mention the kazillion commercials.

I think you are right.  It's like there is barely 15 minutes of show and the rest is commercials.  The moment things start moving, the episode is over.  It stops the show's momentum, and I can imagine turns the audience off.   

Share Post

Oh goodness, it's not just young celebrities.  Drew Barrymore is famous for that shit.  Sarah Jessica Parker and Gwyneth Paltrow too.  Also I wouldn't call Susan Sarandon and Joni Mitchell "young".  

https://www.bustle.com/p/9-things-to-do-when-youre-single-not-dating-anyone-9663999

https://www.ranker.com/list/non-feminist-female-celebrities/matthewcoleweiss

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/feminist-celebrities_n_4460416.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay.

Share Post

I like the show ;)  I LOVE Alicia.  I get that her accent is kinda weird here... but.  No matter.  I LOVE her.  She gave my FAVOURITE acting performance of all time (in Clueless, obviously.)  It's one of the few 70's themed things I've enjoyed in my life. LOL.  I've never really gotten into the 70s yet.  But I'm enjoying the hell out of this one.  I'm just happy Alicia even got this opportunity.  Now people who adore her are at the age where we can making casting decisions......  She was done so wrong by Hollywood around the Batgirl era so I'm really happy for her now.

The episodes are about 22 minutes, which is standard, but usually the standard time given to sitcoms!  This is not a sitcom, it's a dramedy as others have stated, and usually they're given around 40 minutes......

Edited by Ms Blue Jay.

Share Post

I haven’t watched the season 5 sneak peek, but I did a side eye when I saw it offered. I mean, the episodes are so short, they’re all like sneak peeks to me. Lol ? 

Share Post

I definitely wouldn't watch this show if it were on any other time of the year. It's ridiculous. There's maybe 15 minutes of content and the rest of the timeslot is commercials. The story isn't progressing anymore.

Share Post

Does Bonnie still have a job?

I think I would enjoy this more if Silverstone’s delivery seemed more natural and not so stilted (or something).

I think Diana is the best and most interesting character.

Share Post

I guess she still works at the department store (I think I saw her coworker in next week's preview, though I missed the bulk of it), though I don't know when, since she's having day sex with that gross artist dude--who she's planning to go to New York with--and is home cooking dinner for her kids at night.

And she's worried about paying the mortgage but buys a "personal massager"?

I wondered how Diana was able to just get up from her desk to go get a drink with Greg's(?) lover and they drank until nighttime! She'd been gone from her desk all day!

What even is reality on this show?

Edited by bilgistic.

Share Post

13 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I think I would enjoy this more if Silverstone’s delivery seemed more natural and not so stilted (or something).

Yeah, her voice and mannerisms are really unnatural. I don't remember being put-off by Megan Mullally's weird vocal stylings  as Karen on Will and Grace or Alyson Hannigan's Willow-voice on BtVS  or the gargling-with-glass voice that Fiona Dourif did as Bart on Dirk Gently, but Silverstone talks like she's got a broomstick up her butt on this show and it's just really annoying me. 

Share Post

To me,  Alicia Silverstone is delivering her lines like she's trying to come across as some grande dame, which she is way too young for.  That said, she is made to play a 70's-era woman.  She looks beautiful in the hair and make-up.

So Kyle Richards based this show on her mom,  and it's all about her random hookups and sexual awakening?  That's...normal...I think I'm starting to understand why her sisters are reportedly not very happy about it.

Share Post

And here I thought her vibrator was a mini fire extinguisher.  It looked kind of big for what she was using it for.  Lol.

Share Post

I'm catching up with these eps, so apologies if this is way behind, but was that a contemporary song when Bonnie kissed the painter for the first time? I know a lot of '70s songs and that wasn't anything I had ever heard (nor '70s style). Took me right out of the scene. Bizarre choice.

Share Post

This show is really bad. Burning the doll. Two or three masturbation scenes. There’s nothing original about it. 

Share Post

And she's worried about paying the mortgage but buys a "personal massager"?

Just so I'm clear, Bonnie complained to her friends that she was worried about paying the mortgage and their solution to her problem was for her to masturbate?  I mean, I know this is the 70s, but I'm pretty sure your mortgage company doesn't accept that as payment.  

Also, I really liked that pencil sharpener that Mena Survari had on her desk in her office.  

Share Post

On 7/13/2018 at 6:53 PM, Gem 10 said:

And here I thought her vibrator was a mini fire extinguisher.  It looked kind of big for what she was using it for.  Lol.

That "personal massager", the Hitachi Magic Wand, has been a best seller for decades. It was featured on Sex & the City.

Share Post

I kind of just want to watch a show about Diana. She is actually a really interesting character and the actress who plays her is really natural and likable. 

Really, all the actors are doing fine...except for Silverstone, and that sucks, because I've always had a soft spot for her, but she just sounds so stilted and weird. I dont know why. 

Edited by tennisgurl.

Share Post

On 7/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, bilgistic said:

That "personal massager", the Hitachi Magic Wand, has been a best seller for decades. It was featured on Sex & the City.

Oh .. o.k.  I have a fear if I die, my kids would find that and think “ what the hell”, or better yet, the husband.  LMAO.

Share Post

this show is ridiculously short. what is it, 10 minutes without commercials. love the look of it. ms. silverstone is not the best of actresses. don't like kylie richards so couldn't care less if this is a hit or not. it could be a decent show it the writing were better and it needs to be an hour. 

Share Post

I would rather watch a show about Diana living in LA during the 70’s, dealing with issues at work and living with her mother while hanging out with her new friend.

Share Post

I think I'm done. This is the slowest-moving half hour of TV I've ever watched. I just watched various people sit by a pool while being racist, ring up a (racist) customer at a department store, talk to a boss about a promotion (again), drink in a bar then go home and have sex. Nothing is propelling the story forward. This is a reality TV script. Ironic.

I suppose the show is trying to make a statement: People Were Racist in the 1970s but Look How Things Have Changed Now. Not so much, Kyle Richards. Not so much.

Share Post

All of this has been done before, many times, and done much better. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz.

Share Post

Alicia is over annunciating her words, which I think is supposed to portray that the character is well-bred in some way, or proper. But it is very jarring, and I agree, coming off as unnatural.

Share Post

I think she's always sounded like she sounds on this show.

Share Post

Is this show building to anything?  I find Diana interesting, but there is no real storyline.  I guess she is finding herself through sex? 

And seriously Bonnie, stop taking your bratty daughter's crap.  It's entirely possible that she can be upset over the divorce without being a bitch about it. 

Share Post

Yeah, I have no clue where this show is actually going. I guess Bobbie being more independent? Because thats not really what I've been getting. 

I still wish Diana was the main character, her story is by far the most interesting.

Share Post

What's with all the commercials?  I usually record and watch later. Towards the end of the show there is an announcement that "American Woman" will be back in 60 seconds, then "Lip Sync Battle" is starting. There's no ending to each episode. 

I don't understand where this is going. Did Bonnie ever make up with her black co-worker? The pool party ended badly/awkwardly, so there should be some closure. Did Bonnie apologize? Are the two women still friends? How are they getting along at work?

If Kathleen is a rich Texan, what is she doing in L.A. trying to scrape by with creating a casting agency? Why isn't she living off her millions in a true Beverly Hills lifestyle?

Is Diana acting out through all of the sexual hookups for a reason? Is she angry and frustrated with her mother and the situation at work? Or ... is it just a commentary on women's sexual freedom in that decade?

Aren't the daughters supposed to represent Kim and Kyle? Why isn't the oldest one out working at an acting job every day like young Kim did? I thought that was going to be a major SL when she got that one TV commercial gig.  Kyle also worked but not as much as Kim did and in lesser profile projects.

Overall, this is sloppy, disjointed and poorly written/acted. I watch it only for snark value and I enjoy the setting, costuming and props. I wish such attention to detail had been giving to you know, the actual content!

I assume this is heading towards the end of the run. I can't imagine any network picking it up for additional seasons, so they need to start wrapping up the lose ends pronto!

Share Post

I don't understand where this is going. Did Bonnie ever make up with her black co-worker? The pool party ended badly/awkwardly, so there should be some closure. Did Bonnie apologize? Are the two women still friends? How are they getting along at work?

Hey, remember that episode like two weeks ago where Bonnie couldn't pay her mortgage and her friends suggested she masturbate more to solve the problem?  Did that work out?  I only half kid because Bonnie's financial problems seem to come and go depending on whether the writers remember them week to week. 

As to Diana, I presume her having sex whenever and wherever is her trying to defy her boss and mother.  I think she's the most interesting character, but for whatever reason they keep the focus on Bonnie. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Hey, remember that episode like two weeks ago where Bonnie couldn't pay her mortgage and her friends suggested she masturbate more to solve the problem?  Did that work out?  

There is a way too long in the tool "shock rock" DJ in my radio market. He coined a term called procrasturbation. As in, "I didn't want to do my taxes, so I procrasturbated." (Yeah. This guy's a real poor man's Howard Stern.) Sounds like what Bonnie's been doing regarding her financial situation. Still, she had enough money to hire a magician for Kim's, Rebecca's birthday party. (Isn't that the oldest kid's name?) 

Share Post

Brian Moylan likes this show?

He also said that Kathleen and Bonnie are sisters, which I totally missed. 

Share Post

On 7/30/2018 at 2:27 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I thought they were, too, until the discussion in last week's (?) episode of how the three ladies met.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Jillybean said:

On 7/30/2018 at 11:27 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I thought they were, too, until the discussion in last week's (?) episode of how the three ladies met.

Count me in as thinking they were just friends and not sisters. I’m so confused. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, AntAnn said:

Count me in as thinking they were just friends and not sisters. I’m so confused. 

They are just friends, but I had thought they were sisters. I think something said in the pilot gave me that impression. 

Share Post