S02.E08: Picasso: Chapter Eight 2018.06.05

Young Pablo designs a ballet and meets his first wife, Olga. Older Picasso struggles with the needs of his family and his desire to remain artistically relevant.

Share Post

The synopsis should just read, "Another episode where Picasso is awful to women."  Truly, it's getting boring.  It makes me wonder why Picasso was chosen to be the Genius celebrated in S2.  Was he a genius?  Of course.  Was there enough interesting information about his life to create a season's worth of riveting television?  It's not looking as if there was.  There may have been women galore in his life but obviously, he loved no one but himself.  The scene where his daughter Maya realizes that Picasso left her and her mother not for his work but for another family was heartbreaking.  

I did enjoy the ballet angle.  I had no idea that Picasso had designed for the ballet.  Also, I was only familiar with Jean Cocteau as a director of film.  I was unaware that he had done early work with the ballet, or with Picasso for that matter.  

I sincerely hope that S3 of Genius (if there is one) will feature a female protagonist.  I'm quite tired of watching men who use and discard women.

Share Post

The cast this season has been stellar but the show itself has been tedious.   I'm not a big Picasso fan...I recognize his genius but I don't "get him" for the most part...so if I had known it was going to be what has essentially been an entire season of him being a jackass to one woman after another I wouldn't have bothered.  Judging by the lack of responses in any thread for this season I'm not the only one who feels this way and I wouldn't be surprised if the show isn't renewed for another season.

Bad choice on the part of the creators, writers, whoever.  Did they really think this would make good TV?  What a letdown after the excellent (IMO) Einstein season.  

Share Post

It seems like a requirement to be featured on this show is to treat women like crap. Einstein was no peach either, but Picasso makes him look like Prince Charming. Picasso's revolving door and overlapping timelines of mistresses is hard to him track of. And what happened to, you know, showing his career? It's just all about him gaslighting his former/current partners while seducing his new flavor of the week.

Share Post

Here I was these 8 episodes thinking that Marcel (the driver) was the secret hero of the show and Picasso fires him!  OK, I know the guy took the car without permission and crashed it, but his family was injured, he had been running interference for Picasso for 25 yrs and said he would pay for the car.   Maybe because Picasso is such an unsympathetic figure, I just can't share his outrage.

Share Post