General Awards Discussion: On The Red Carpet

Thanks! Still making my way through all the categories, but it looks like my "Suits" nomination for "Idiot Stick: Dumbest Character Moment" didn't make it into the poll either.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Thanks! Still making my way through all the categories, but it looks like my "Suits" nomination for "Idiot Stick: Dumbest Character Moment" didn't make it into the poll either.

That didn't make it on due to being overly long/wordy for a poll choice. I had quoted you and asked for it to be made more concise but unfortunately you didn't get back to us on it before the cutoff.

Share Post

1 hour ago, SilverStormm said:

That didn't make it on due to being overly long/wordy for a poll choice. I had quoted you and asked for it to be made more concise but unfortunately you didn't get back to us on it before the cutoff.

I edited down 2 of mine, which were then included (thank you), but I only managed to see the quote and do it in time because my job position has been cut to half time. So, maybe next year, in addition to allowing at least one full calendar week for contributions (2 would be better), please add a note at the top of those categories that require some description reminding us that the nomination needs to be XYZ number of characters or less.

I seem to recall that you asked for suggestions last year after the Previouslies were over, but I might not remember to suggest this then, heh.

And thanks to mods for their efforts on this. "Are we having fun yet?"

Share Post

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I edited down 2 of mine, which were then included (thank you), but I only managed to see the quote and do it in time because my job position has been cut to half time. So, maybe next year, in addition to allowing at least one full calendar week for contributions (2 would be better), please add a note at the top of those categories that require some description reminding us that the nomination needs to be XYZ number of characters or less.

I seem to recall that you asked for suggestions last year after the Previouslies were over, but I might not remember to suggest this then, heh.

Yep, this is a learning curve and we're learning as we go. We've already come up with better ways to do certain stuff next year.

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Share Post

Official Post

If anyone wants to vote for Young Sheldon in the "Seen but not Heard" and you have already voted but would still like to throw a vote his way just let us know in the comments of the poll. 

Share Post

Reading through the nominees, I'm reminded of just how little current TV I actually watch...

Share Post

1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Reading through the nominees, I'm reminded of just how little current TV I actually watch...

That's what happened to me last year, where I cast a whopping three votes in the finals (one of which was about a canceled show).  This year, I think I'll be lucky to have one category to vote in come finals.  I already knew I don't watch many currently-airing shows, but these awards remind me the ones I do watch are not the ones most people watch.

Share Post

12 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Ok, I understand! Thanks! I did see the notification that you had quoted me when I logged in after work, but when I clicked on it, the thread was closed, so I  couldn't see what you'd written. That would explain it!

Share Post

There's a nomination for "Most satisfying death scene" for  GOT "Winter came for House Frey"

I assume that's what happens in the last episode of the 6th season, which aired June 26, 2016.  Admittedly great, but shouldn't be eligible.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

There's a nomination for "Most satisfying death scene" for  GOT "Winter came for House Frey"

I assume that's what happens in the last episode of the 6th season, which aired June 26, 2016.  Admittedly great, but shouldn't be eligible.

Nope, I can tell you, as one of the moderators for the GoT forum; that's the very first scene from S7 Episode 1 which aired 07.16.17. 

Share Post

On 2018-06-06 at 1:57 PM, Moose135 said:

I tend to binge watch, so I usually have no idea of when a season initially aired. I watched Game of Thrones consecutively, so I initially thought the final season was ineligible. Makes it tough to nominate and then compare.

Share Post

I hope this is the correct place to post this.  In the "Best Animated Show" poll, "Duck Tails" should be "Duck Tales".

Share Post

I have a suggestions for next year's awards for the category Most Painful Cancellation: please don't allow shows in that category that were picked up by another network (or their original network) after their cancellation. I'd prefer if the category only has shows that manage to stay cancelled.

Share Post

4 hours ago, elle said:

I hope this is the correct place to post this.  In the "Best Animated Show" poll, "Duck Tails" should be "Duck Tales".

Thanks! Fixed!

Share Post

Most of my votes went to Game of Thrones, Glow, The Good Place, & Brooklyn Nine-Nine. A few for Stranger Things and LOT and all my worst votes for The Walking Dead. I guess I don't watch a ton of popular TV. I was really hoping I could vote on The Magicians somehow but I didn't see it. Maybe a most underrated category next time?

Also I was wondering why Brooklyn Nine-Nine was in most painful cancellation? It was un-cancelled the next day. I voted for Dark Matter.

Share Post

On 12/06/2018 at 5:32 AM, paulvdb said:

I have a suggestions for next year's awards for the category Most Painful Cancellation: please don't allow shows in that category that were picked up by another network (or their original network) after their cancellation. I'd prefer if the category only has shows that manage to stay cancelled.

1 hour ago, festivus said:

Also I was wondering why Brooklyn Nine-Nine was in most painful cancellation? It was un-cancelled the next day. I voted for Dark Matter.

Apologies about this. There were a few noms that did slip through the cracks before we could get to them.

Share Post

Additionally, only one nomination per show will be allowed to reach the finals. If more than one nomination for a show gets to the top five we will drop the nomination with the lowest number of votes and substitute in the next highest nomination. Example, 2 separate deaths from Show X are nominated for saddest death and both make it to the top five, the one with the lowest number of votes will be dropped and the next highest nomination will be subbed in.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/70680-2018-awards-information/

It doesn't bother me, but this hasn't been consistently applied. There are repeat shows in Worst Episode Of A Drama (Grey's), I think (can't see b/c I voted) Worst Episode Of A Sci-Fi/Supernatural Show (X-Files), and We Go Together: Favorite Couple Or Ship (GoT).

Share Post

23 minutes ago, dcalley said:

It doesn't bother me, but this hasn't been consistently applied. There are repeat shows in Worst Episode Of A Drama (Grey's), I think (can't see b/c I voted) Worst Episode Of A Sci-Fi/Supernatural Show (X-Files), and We Go Together: Favorite Couple Or Ship (GoT).

I'm pretty sure that's because in a few cases, multiple nominees from the same show were tied, and the awards committee had to let both nominees stand.

Share Post

And when it comes to Worst Episode of a Sci-Fi (and maybe others; I can only speak to this one since it's one of the few I voted in), there weren't more than five nominations, so there was no voting in that category in the first round -- all the nominations just went through to be voted on in the finals.

Share Post

In the future it would be more *fun* if after voting the choices were displayed to the voter as a disabled gray instead of being hidden entirely.

Or maybe a master list of all the nominations could be linked as a jpeg.

Share Post

12 hours ago, dcalley said:

@The Crazed Spruce is absolutely correct, as noted in the text of the award, there are multiple nominations for a show and more than five nominees in some categories due to ties in the semi-final round. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In the future it would be more *fun* if after voting the choices were displayed to the voter as a disabled gray instead of being hidden entirely.

Or maybe a master list of all the nominations could be linked as a jpeg.

This is a function of the software, it either shows you everything (all the results) or what you get now. We'll see if it's tweakable but if not we can definitely post a list of nominees. 

Share Post

I wish there was a box to check off, that said "no vote" or something.

There's some categories/shows I'm completely clueless about, because I've never watched any of the shows in that category.

I have to stop myself from just guessing an answer, because it feels weird (to me) to just leave without voting. 

Edited by ChiCricket. Reason: ..

Share Post

3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

There's some categories/shows I'm completely clueless about, because I've never watched any of the show in that categories.

I have to stop myself from just guessing an answer, because it feels weird (to me) to just leave without voting. 

@ChiCricket Do unfinished sentences really get

;)

Share Post

On 6/14/2018 at 11:19 AM, ChiCricket said:

There's some categories/shows I'm completely clueless about, because I've never watched any of the show in that category.

I felt this way too. I chose not to vote if I hadn't seen any of the shows as I couldn't vote fairly. Maybe something that somehow indicates that you voted already? I sometimes would re-click something to find that I already did vote.

Share Post

5 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

What is the Cerulean Sphere supposed to be referring to?

Balls, and the shade of blue thereof.

Share Post

On 2018-06-13 at 1:36 PM, festivus said:

Most of my votes went to Game of Thrones, Glow, The Good Place, & Brooklyn Nine-Nine. A few for Stranger Things and LOT and all my worst votes for The Walking Dead. I guess I don't watch a ton of popular TV. I was really hoping I could vote on The Magicians somehow but I didn't see it. Maybe a most underrated category next time?

I found myself with the same dilemma, I don't actually watch that many different shows concurrently, and I was trying to not choose the same shows over and over. So If two were close in my estimation, I'd go with the choice that hadn't come up before. The comedies were the toughest for me, I don't watch many of them. It's been a while since I've seen GLOW so I have forgotten what I thought of particular episodes but at least I've watched it all and enjoyed it, unlike the many critical darlings on the list. I will probably end up watching them and loving them too, well after the contest is over.

Share Post

Official Post

So, thank you everyone for voting! As you can see, the polls are closed! Check back for the official winners! 

Share Post

2 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

Are we getting the results today, Lady Calypso?

The results will be posted tomorrow.

Share Post