General Awards Discussion: On The Red Carpet

Where can information on previous Previouslies be found? Or is this the first year?

Share Post

7 hours ago, J-Man said:

Where can information on previous Previouslies be found? Or is this the first year?

What information were you seeking? Winners?

Share Post

20 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

What information were you seeking? Winners?

Just anything relating to previous awards -- the nominees, the winners, the discussion (if any.)

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
On 5/22/2018 at 5:14 PM, J-Man said:

Is this the droid you're looking for?: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/70328-🏆-the-previouslies-🏆-2018-edition/?tab=comments#comment-4338875

—which is a weird looking link. But I'm old.

No, that link just goes to the 2018 awards.

Share Post

And here is the discussion thread for the 2017 winners.

Share Post

Yay, the Previouslies are back! The categories look pretty good this year, and I'm glad to see they've gotten more specific (e.g. "Saddest Death Scene" instead of last year's "Worst Death Scene" which some nominators/voters interpreted as "most poorly handled" and some interpreted as "most tragic"). If I recall correctly, an issue that we had last year was specificity in nominations. The example that jumps out at me is last year's "Most Unintentionally Funny Line of Dialogue" category, one of the five finalists was one truly terrible line of dialogue by Jadis on The Walking Dead, and one of the other finalists was "Everything Jadis says - Walking Dead" which was frustrating, because two of the five finalists were basically the same thing, while a lot of other deserving nominations didn't make it to the finals. And on the winner's list from last year, I see that the most credulity-straining moment was "Scandal, All of it." I remember seeing a bunch of other vague nominations too. I think the fun of these awards is nominating, voting, and seeing win carefully curated, specific moments that really exemplify why a character or a show is the best or the worst. I would love to see more specificity encouraged in the nominating process this year, because seeing an entire show win for "worst moment" or an entire character win for "best one-liner" or something, is just not nearly as satisfying as when specific examples are highlighted. This sounds like complaining, but I love these awards. I'm excited to see and hear about what everyone's been watching this year!

Share Post

Coming up, you'll see some differences this year if you look for them. As you've already spotted; lessons were learned and we've removed the potential for ambiguity from the categories. Our goal this year was to make it crystal clear upon first read what each category is for, to avoid any confusion. 

We intend to do the same with nominations as far as possible, but at the end of the day we have to be guided by what the majority of our users want and vote for. After all, without all of you none of it would happen, glad to see you're excited; so are we!

Share Post

And nominations are live!

Share Post

I nominated some stuff for Pretty Little Liars, which I only just now checked and it doesn’t quite make the cutoff date, but I swear, it hadn’t aired yet when we did this last year.

Share Post

You're probably right. The rules state that you can nominate anything that aired from July the previous year to June in the current year. But the nomination process starts at the end of May and ends early June. So anything that airs in the last few weeks of June would air too late to be nominated for the current year's awards but won't be eligible for the next year. I think it would be better to change the eligibility period and allow nominations for anything that aired from June 2017 to May 2018.

Share Post

Are sports shows eligible?  I’m thinking of something specifically relating to the broadcast and not the sporting event itself, if that matters. 

Share Post

12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I nominated some stuff for Pretty Little Liars, which I only just now checked and it doesn’t quite make the cutoff date, but I swear, it hadn’t aired yet when we did this last year.

It looks like PLL aired the second half of season 7 from April 18, 2017 to June 27, 2017, which means was eligible to be nominated for the last Awards so it is out of contention for this round. 

Share Post

I haven't checked all the nominations, but at least one of the PLL nominations was for something that happened in the finale. As far as I remember the finale aired after the nominations for the 2017 awards were closed.

Share Post

We're not going to go into fine details on this stuff. To keep it simple: if a show aired the bulk of its episodes prior to the cutoff date last year, then it's ineligible for nominations this year.

Share Post

Why do we not have Traditional categories for Best Actor/Best Actress?  Perhaps I'm just not seeing them?

Also, once we see that a member has nominated a show in any individual category, that's it; it's officially nominated, right?  We don't all have to pile on until it gets a certain number of votes?

Share Post

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Also, once we see that a member has nominated a show in any individual category, that's it; it's officially nominated, right?  We don't all have to pile on until it gets a certain number of votes?

Correct, you do not have to nominate something more than once. Doing so won't make a difference one way or the other.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Why do we not have Traditional categories for Best Actor/Best Actress?  Perhaps I'm just not seeing them?

Because we decided to add more fun and different categories this year rather than the same old same old. 

Share Post

51 minutes ago, Lisin said:

Because we decided to add more fun and different categories this year rather than the same old same old. 

There really are no categories that recognize actors.  There are categories that recognize characters.  That's not the same thing.  I'm disappointed.

Share Post

I am so happy my category suggestion for "Most Gratuitous Fanservice" has made it. Unfortunately I can't actually think of anything to nominate for it (this year), but it feels like I'm making a difference!

Share Post

1. Regarding "Nominations will remain open until June 2nd" (http://forums.previously.tv/announcement/50-updated-the-previouslies-awards-2018-edition/ ),
    does that mean nominations will close at midnight somewhere on June 1,
    or does "until" really mean "through," and nominations will closed at midnight somewhere on June 2?
    And if it is midnight, then what time zone? Or is it more like when the last mod falls asleep?

2. Any chance the nomination time period will be extended? Two weeks or at least one full week would get more participation from us working stiffs.

3. On May 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Lisin said:

Correct, you do not have to nominate something more than once. Doing so won't make a difference one way or the other

I'm guessing likes don't count either, right? 

4. Regarding "only one nomination per show will be allowed to reach the finals" (http://forums.previously.tv/topic/70680-2018-awards-information/?tab=comments#comment-4369737 ),
    ^^this means it's okay to nominate an episode from a dramedy for both "best episode in a drama" and "best episode in a comedy," right? But if I do that, votes for my favorite episode will be split, so I should pick just one and hope nobody else nominates it for the other category, right?
    Or, if someone else nominates it in the other category, I could edit my nomination and remove it, right?

Share Post

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  1. Regarding "Nominations will remain open until June 2nd" (http://forums.previously.tv/announcement/50-updated-the-previouslies-awards-2018-edition/ ),
    does that mean nominations will close at midnight somewhere on June 1,
    or does "until" really mean "through," and nominations will closed at midnight somewhere on June 2?
    And if it is midnight, then what time zone? Or is it more like when the last mod falls asleep?

2. Any chance the nomination time period will be extended? Two weeks or at least one full week would get more participation from us working stiffs.

3. I'm guessing likes don't count either, right? 

4. Regarding "only one nomination per show will be allowed to reach the finals" (http://forums.previously.tv/topic/70680-2018-awards-information/?tab=comments#comment-4369737 ),
    ^^this means it's okay to nominate an episode from a dramedy for both "best episode in a drama" and "best episode in a comedy," right? But if I do that, votes for my favorite episode will be split, so I should pick just one and hope nobody else nominates it for the other category, right?
    Or, if someone else nominates it in the other category, I could edit my nomination and remove it, right?

1. We thought the mystery would be fun, no? Ok then - noon (ET) on June 2nd.

2. The announced timetable won't be changed, no extentions.

3. Correct: a nom is a nom is a nom - it only counts once.

4. Correct. You can add or remove noms until the topics are locked on June 2nd (at noon ET).

Share Post

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I could edit my nomination and remove it, right?

4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

4. Correct. You can add or remove noms until the topics are locked on June 2nd (at noon ET).

I'd like to add if you do remove a nomination by editing a previous post, please @ me in the thread or post a new post saying you edited the previous post. We've been working kind of nonstop to track all of this so if you go back and remove something we may miss it. We keep checking for new additions but don't reread the entire thread each time. 

Share Post

In Traditional, Best Drama, "Endeavor" should be "Endeavour" (it's a person's name).

Share Post

3 minutes ago, dcalley said:

In Traditional, Best Drama, "Endeavor" should be "Endeavour" (it's a person's name).

Thanks. Fixed.

Share Post

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

@raven, The Orville is in the wrong category. 

Currently in here. Where does it belong?

Share Post

I'm the one who nominated it, so this is my error and I apologize, but The X-Files episode My Struggle IV should be in the Worst Episode of a Sci-Fi show category, not the Worst Episode of a Drama category (when I got to drama, I nominated it there, not realizing that as I kept next topic-ing I would come across one for sci-fi - plus, I often forget XF is sci-fi.  Yeah, I don't know.).

Also, why were Flynn and Provenza (Major Crimes) left of the list of Best Friendships nominations?

Share Post

24 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Currently in here. Where does it belong?

It belongs in Sci-fi, but it’s already in there. I think it just got tacked on into that comedy category by accident. 

Share Post

And I'm back with another question: Why was Sharon Raydor (Major Crimes) left off the list of nominations for Saddest Death Scene?

Share Post

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And I'm back with another question: Why was Sharon Raydor (Major Crimes) left off the list of nominations for Saddest Death Scene?

36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, why were left of the list of Best Friendships nominations?

Both were due to human error. It's been fixed. Sorry about that. It's kinda crazy that it was the same show but I promise it was not intentional!

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Lisin said:

Both were due to human error. It's been fixed. Sorry about that. It's kinda crazy that it was the same show but I promise it was not intentional!

Thanks; I didn't think so, since other Major Crimes nominations were in other categories and I know all the shows fell within the eligibility period, but it was odd.  But now I (and anyone else who has already voted in those categories) am screwed out of voting for them, right? 

The death category is fine for me; I noticed her absence right away and thus didn't vote (since she's the only one I was there to vote for), so I can now just go into that category and vote.  But in the friendships category I had several to vote for, and I voted on the others, and then realized, wait a minute, one is missing, after I'd already submitted my votes.  So I can't go back into that category and vote again; the list is gone. 

Share Post

And since we're bringing it up, in Best Episode of a Competitive Reality Show, "Big Brother: 'Day 55'" should be "Big Brother Canada: 'Day 55'".

Share Post

4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It belongs in Sci-fi, but it’s already in there. I think it just got tacked on into that comedy category by accident. 

Someone did nominate it for the Comedy category as well. Since it fits in with both genres, we included it in both. I even double checked to see if it was a mistake on our end!

Again, apologies on our end for any mistakes that we have made. We tried to make sure we got everything and make sure it's all right, but we obviously missed a few! 

27 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

And since we're bringing it up, in Best Episode of a Competitive Reality Show, "Big Brother: 'Day 55'" should be "Big Brother Canada: 'Day 55'".

Thanks! Fixing now! 

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Someone did nominate it for the Comedy category as well. Since it fits in with both genres, we included it in both. I even double checked to see if it was a mistake on our end!

We have a couple of shows that are nominated in comedy (or drama) and sci-fi/supernatural.  We've decided that, once the initial round of voting is done, if they still show up in both, we'll drop them from the on that received fewer votes.

Share Post

5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, I didn’t remember seeing it in the comedy noms, so I wondered if it was mistakenly in there. My bad!

Share Post

Official Post

So, you may start to notice some nominees in certain categories disappearing. Unfortunately, we realized too late that some noms are, indeed, ineligible for this year's awards and we are saddened that we didn't catch it before the polls went live. So for those who may have thrown votes on these specific noms (eg. Sense8 in the Most Painful Cancellation category), they will not be eligible since they have not aired in June 2017-now so we took it off completely. 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. 

Share Post

I thought I nominated BoJack Horseman: What Time is it Right Now? for best season finale, but maybe I'm misremembering!

Share Post

Last Man Standing is in the poll for worst comedy. Its last episode aired in March 2017 so it should not be eligible for this year's awards.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

I thought I nominated BoJack Horseman: What Time is it Right Now? for best season finale, but maybe I'm misremembering!

I'm pretty sure one of my eligible nominees didn't make it either, but now I can't even remember which one, LOL.

In the year 2525, if TV shows are still alive@David T. Cole's spiritual descendants will be able to globally select and make copies of just all the eligible shows and just their episode threads, and then generate voting forms with check boxes for each show or episode, and, lo, these forms won't take a bazillion minutes to load and submit, nor will these forms crash, neither in Madeupistan nor on spacecraft in orbit in the clouds of Venus.

Meanwhile, back in this century, maybe next year, "just for fun," we could have a category of Favorite Cancelled Show Now Airing As Reruns.

Share Post

Official Post
10 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

You are not misremembering! It was inadvertently left off of the spreadsheet we used to create the polls. I’m adding it now. 

Anyone who wants to vote for Bojack who has already voted, please comment in the poll topic and we will manually add the votes at the end. 

Also please forgive me for the fact that it isn’t going to be in alphabetical order. If I have time later I will fix that part!  

Share Post

3 hours ago, Lisin said:

You are not misremembering! It was inadvertently left off of the spreadsheet we used to create the polls. I’m adding it now. 

Anyone who wants to vote for Bojack who has already voted, please comment in the poll topic and we will manually add the votes at the end. 

When I go to that poll thread, there's no option to comment. Maybe comments were turned off inadvertently. 

Share Post

Just another vote for next year to add another week to the nominations.   I started to do some, then got super busy with work and family and couldn't finish.  I did notice that some categories have too few nominations to make the voting run offs.

Share Post

4 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

When I go to that poll thread, there's no option to comment. Maybe comments were turned off inadvertently. 

All the polls have the ability to post a comment like a normal thread it’s just way down under all the poll options. 

Share Post

35 minutes ago, Lisin said:

All the polls have the ability to post a comment like a normal thread it’s just way down under all the poll options. 

I don't see a reply option.  There's the list of options to vote for, the submit vote and show poll results buttons (or, in place of the above, the blue box with "poll results have been hidden" that replaces all that once you vote), the mod post, and that's it.

I think if there was a reply option, you'd have lots of "[Poll choice] owns this award"-type posts.  Maybe you could designate a mod to receive PMs, with a specified subject line, re. votes people were unable to cast because a nominee was initially left off the list and not added until after they'd already voted in that category?

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't see a reply option.  There's the list of options to vote for, the submit vote and show poll results buttons (or, in place of the above, the blue box with "poll results have been hidden" that replaces all that once you vote), the mod post, and that's it.

I think if there was a reply option, I think you'd have lots of "[Poll choice] owns this award"-type posts.  Maybe you could designate a mod to receive PMs, with a specified subject line, re. votes people were unable to cast because a nominee was initially left off the list and not added until after they'd already voted in that category?

The reply option should be visible now in the season finale topic only. 

Share Post

Much as I absolutely adore 12 Monkeys, season 3 ended in May 2017, and season 4 doesn't start until later this month, so I don't think it's eligible?

Share Post

Young Sheldon was left off "Seen But Not Heard: Child Character You Never Want To Hear From Again." I originally said the show should be Young Sheldon, but I actually don't watch it and am sick of him appearing on Jeopardy of all things. If the show could be listed as Jeopardy, that would be funny and great, but I understand if you want to keep my original, Young Sheldon.

Share Post

44 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Much as I absolutely adore 12 Monkeys, season 3 ended in May 2017, and season 4 doesn't start until later this month, so I don't think it's eligible?

No it is not; thank you.

42 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Young Sheldon was left off "Seen But Not Heard: Child Character You Never Want To Hear From Again."

He has been added to "Child Characters" under "Young Sheldon".

Share Post

22 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, you may start to notice some nominees in certain categories disappearing. Unfortunately, we realized too late that some noms are, indeed, ineligible for this year's awards and we are saddened that we didn't catch it before the polls went live. So for those who may have thrown votes on these specific noms (eg. Sense8 in the Most Painful Cancellation category), they will not be eligible since they have not aired in June 2017-now so we took it off completely. 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. 

Maybe next year you could pin the date eligibility on top of each category? I found I was going back and doing research for specific episodes and entire shows that I watched months ago, so it would be handy if I didn't also have to look back in the rules section each time. (Or I could actually write it down but I am too lazy). As you get older, you lose your sense of time - I could have sworn something was only 5 months ago and it turns out to be over a year....

5 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Just another vote for next year to add another week to the nominations.   I started to do some, then got super busy with work and family and couldn't finish.  I did notice that some categories have too few nominations to make the voting run offs.

Maybe next time, we could have additional one week extensions just for categories that don't have over 3 nominations? I think it may be an oversight for many of us, with so many places to suggest shows. I didn't do much with the noncompetitive reality shows (just voting, not suggesting) but some of the other categories I known I had some more possibilities, just overlooked them initially. Maybe even colour code them red, to let us know we have a last chance to add suggestions for those forgotten categories?

Share Post