Battlebots 2018 Season Discussion

For discussion of the reboot of the reboot episodes aka the Science/Discovery Episodes.

Share Post

Are these new episodes, or just new to Sci channel? These seem familiar, but I know a lot of the same bots compete every season.

Share Post

I think new episodes start this Friday.  I remember because we have house guests coming and I expect them at 8pm, when the new Battlebots happens.  

Edited by enoughcats.

Share Post

New episodes (https://battlebots.com/):

Let the Bot battles begin! We’re excited to announce that Discovery Networks (Discovery & Science Channel) has ordered up a fresh new series of BattleBots—bursting with robot combat goodness. Sparks flying, robots dying, all coming to your TV screens starting May 11th at 8:00pm on Discovery, and May 16th at 9:00pm on Science Channel. Your favorite bots will be back along with some exciting new comers, and we’ve got a twist to our traditional tournament format that will mean more fights on screen, and more fights for your favorite bots! Join us May 11th (and each week thereafter) for the glorious robot carnage over at our new homes on Discovery & Science Channel!

All the robots (new and old) are here: https://battlebots.com/2018-season-robots/

Share Post

On 5/9/2018 at 8:04 PM, chitowngirl said:

Are these new episodes, or just new to Sci channel? These seem familiar, but I know a lot of the same bots compete every season.

Brand spankin’ New!

Share Post

Fewer Bot-bunny interviews, more fights - I'm good with the format this season so far.

Share Post

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  😆

Share Post

On 5/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, Destiny74 said:

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  😆

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

Then I think they should have started it on the Sci channel Wednesday night and then the disc channel premier on Friday.  The way it is, if we want to watch on sci we wait five days.

Share Post

Man, I have been having a lot of stress lately and I had no idea how I needed some wanton destruction until I sat down to watch this show last night.  That poor bot that got RIPPED IN HALF!  I've never seen anyone beg the ref to stop that match before.

Share Post

The new season is absolutely awesome!  Many of the battles have been spectacular.   I love the idea of round robin prelims before we get into the "medal round", it means lots of battles and you get to see a wide variety of matchups.  I hope they keep putting a 3 bot rumble in each episode.

The Science channel did itself no favors earlier this year when it started clapping "New" on episodes that were 2 and 3 years old.  I'd set the DVR to record it only to see that it was one I had already seen.  I didn't realize there was actually a "new" new season until last week when I caught the episode on Discovery.

Share Post

Sci channel does have new material in the hour they present (repeat).  They still have the battles, but they have 'bonus' material.  Last night's (5/30) had really good interviews with a lot of the bot creators.  The woman who with her crew has "voo-doo" dressed up and whose bot got mangled by tombstone in Ep 1 this year came across as really intelligent as she talked about how this year is different and you had to design to keep your bot in working order through mayhem, because you wanted to advance and so you had to have replaceable parts, etc.  Then there was an interview with a bot we haven't seen yet where the  creator talked about using the 3-d printer they brought with them as well as the one available to all the teams to remake parts as needed.  That was an eyeopener to stone age me. 

After that, Mr ECats demanded that we tape the Wednesday night version for future watching and he seldom cares about that sort of thing. 

Last night's massive destruction was a "look at that" "and that" and h--- ---t comments at our house. 

Share Post

Tombstone vs. Gigabite-hahahahahaha! THAT’S why I love this show! 

That said, for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

Share Post

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

For me, it's love/hate.  Tonight, it was love.  When the other bot had lost it's exoskeleton, the underbot was dancing around.  Tombstone's owner yelled "Stand still" because the other owner didn't know that he needed to stand still to get a call for a knock out.  And with a knockout, Ray would hold Tombstone back from obliterating the naked bot.  And Tombstone could have taken that apart so easily.  So very very easily.  To me that was the golden rule in play and it surprised me, in a positive way for Tombstone to hold back.  That way the other bot has a chance to fight again in this series.  

The thing I love most about Tombstone (beyond the lack of fru-fru worthless decoration) and the elegant simplicity of its design......is that they built a totally separate bot to carry Tombstone around and up to the area.  That just tickles me every delivery.

Edited by enoughcats.

Share Post

After the first 3 episodes of the season, this was a disappointment.  Two very hyped battles being essentially over within the first 30 seconds.

I definitely expect to see an extra battle next week on the Science rerun.  This past week it had some interesting bonus information, but it did NOT have a bonus battle.

Share Post

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Tombstone vs. Gigabite-hahahahahaha! THAT’S why I love this show! 

Ray was totally obnoxious on the first season (2015).  He took an unnecessary potshot at the end of his semi-final round and the impact literally gutted Tombstone, he still won the round.  For the finale against Bite Force, his motor started smoking and he didn't have the umph he needed to win the match, BiteForce was champ.

I think he learned a lot of humility from that.  He ate some crow and came back for season 2 not quite the ass he was in season 1.  He won season 2.

So, seeing what he was season 1 to the competitor he became in season 2 ( and seems to be in season 3), I have started liking him.  Tombstone is a beast, a super tough robot to beat and Ray knows it.  He could be an ass again because Tombstone can back up most of his attitude but I like seeing him be a little more humane and not quite the big man in the box.  I think the humble pie was good for him.

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. 😀

Share Post

5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. 😀

Oh, I did!

Share Post

I think this is only my second season watching this.  I like to play a little game with myself to predict the winners.  I have to admit I'm not very good at it, I think my record is something like 8-7 this season.  Seems like it should be easier to predict.  I really screwed up by picking Gigabyte to upset Tombstone, I should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

Share Post

On 6/1/2018 at 6:03 PM, chitowngirl said:

It's the smirking and gloating over an RC lawn mower.  He has finesse, and no technical skills.  He seems just as disposable this season as he ever has.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, Destiny74 said:

I did and I do.

Ray's bot is not nice to look -- it's just a box and a blade on wheels.  It sucks and so does he.  He's the perfect example of a sore winner.

Share Post

Funniest moment: Chris saying Billings shows "good sportsmanship" followed by Billing laughing and gloating over his win.

Second favorite: Saying that Billing "continues to make improvement" when all he does is change the blade.

Share Post

Had to laugh when Icestorm tore up Yeti's wheels while Yeti was being counted out.  If they hadn't made a point about Icestorm's blades being painted to make them hard to see, I'm not sure if I would have bought that it was an accident.  When Icestorm's owner was being interviewed, you could see Yeti's owner stomping around in the background, apparently still mad about it.  Oh well.

My predictions improved to 4-1 this week, so I was happy  ;)

Share Post

Someone explain to me how the Chomp battle was a split decision?  She was on her side or trying to manuever to get away the whole time.  She didn't land any hits and only one it two times did her fire touch.  Gurl power is the only thing I can think of.

Chomp may have some impressive AI in it but this is a demolition comp, not an expo.  I get why people are less than impressed with a bot like Tombstone because it is pretty basic and a brawler but that is what this comp is.  

Sorry, Zoe never impressed me, any season.  I guess I am biased.

Edited by Destiny74. Reason: Name change

Share Post

Last season I didn't like Chomp.  I didn't like the apparent instability of it and I really didn't want it to win as often as it did.  Of the women competitors, though, I liked the way Chloe thought.  No died hair, no silly theatrics, and she didn't make a big plastic bug.

What I did like, or at least admire, about Chomp was the inclusion of AI in zeroing in on it's prey.  It did that well two years ago. 

Early on this season I wondered if Chomp was even going to be in the competition. Even last night's episode, Chomp didn't get much air time at all until its match.  And then it became obvious why.  Chomp had been overdesigned.  It self righted too slowly and had lost what speed it had two years ago. 

As a woman who was active in science before these women competitors were born I cringe when they go into "girl power" and those things.  Simplicity but correct design will out, but never overlook the obvious.  Engineering celebrates multiple ways of reaching a conclusion and then cost and efficiency and strength of materials get figured in.  
Chomp lost its ability to keep its 'eye' on the prize.

I cringed when the woman judge caused the split decision.  It bothers me twelve hours later.  It should bother Chloe. 

Share Post

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the female judge brought in some gender bias in making Chomp's fight a split decision.  Can't see any justification for that at all, unless she was giving points for Chomp's use of the flamethrower, but that is a BIG stretch.  

I was 3-2 in my predictions this week.  Could have been 4-1 but Captain Shredderator stopped working after seemingly having a win cinched.  

Bronco was impressive in flipping its opponent out of the arena in the main event.

Share Post

I enjoy watching Huge. It’s so different from the others. Seeing that the flame didn’t stop it, I’m not sure what can disable it. I don’t think it can win the whole thing, but I’m betting it will lose in a judges’ decision. 

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, 4Sibes Redux said:

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

My money's on Tombstone in that encounter.

Share Post

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

My money's on Tombstone in that encounter.

To be honest, my money is always on Tombstone. 

Share Post

Honestly, this season has shown a side of Jamison that I don't like.  I get he may have issues with Charles and the way he ran the group and trash talk there might have been warranted.  But he had an attitude this episode that I didn't like either.  

Share Post

Tonight's (6/20) bonus fight was a rumble.  One bot died quickly, the other two fought it out.  The one that looked like a small wagon lost its wheels one by one (Ok, the other bot removed them violently).  Anyway,  if you are a Monty Python and the Holy Grail fan, that darned rumble strongly resembled part of that movie when the knight refused to yield, and refused and refused as he lost limb after limb...... A good rewatch just for that.

Share Post

1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

Tonight's (6/20) bonus fight was a rumble.  One bot died quickly, the other two fought it out.  The one that looked like a small wagon lost its wheels one by one (Ok, the other bot removed them violently).  Anyway,  if you are a Monty Python and the Holy Grail fan, that darned rumble strongly resembled part of that movie when the knight refused to yield, and refused and refused as he lost limb after limb...... A good rewatch just for that.

Tis only a flesh wound!

Share Post

On 6/16/2018 at 9:49 AM, Destiny74 said:

I get why people are less than impressed with a bot like Tombstone because it is pretty basic and a brawler but that is what this comp is. 

I'd like to see some kind of pre-qualification based on creativity.  Tombstone is boring, and Billings is an ass, and that's a deadly combination.  I might be able to handle Billings attitude if Tombstone was even fractionally interesting, but together they just make me puke.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:47 AM, 4Sibes Redux said:

To be honest, my money is always on Tombstone. 

That is precisely the problem.  No one bot should be so over-matched. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, jhlipton said:

No one bot should be so over-matched. 

Oh, for the good old days when there were three or four different weight classes.  The small classes allowed for more creativity, because ....moments of inertia, defenses, ballancing defense vs offense.  

Can anyone come up with an interview Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters) did about why his bot didn't compete back in the day?  This from his personal wiki

He is known among Robot Wars devotees for his robotentry, Blendo, which, for a time, was deemed too dangerous for entry in the competition. 

And Blendo has a wiki page

Blendo is a combat robot designed and built by Jamie Hyneman. Adam Savage wired the electronics and control systems.[1]

Blendo had the first effective implementation of the full-body kinetic energy spinner weapon that became common in Robot Wars. The robot had a shell made from a wokand was spun by a lawnmower engine. Blades attached to the shell caused damage to its opponents, removing bodywork and in some instances causing them to be thrown over the polycarbonate safety shields into the audience.

I didn't remember seeing Blendo but there's a great collection of Blendo pictures here as well as some photos of other bots from its time.  There's also an explanation of Jamie sharing a championship for withdrawing. 

Anybody want to see Blendo 2.0 take on a  winner?

Edited by enoughcats.

Share Post

On 6/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, rmontro said:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the female judge brought in some gender bias in making Chomp's fight a split decision.  Can't see any justification for that at all, unless she was giving points for Chomp's use of the flamethrower, but that is a BIG stretch.  

I was 3-2 in my predictions this week.  Could have been 4-1 but Captain Shredderator stopped working after seemingly having a win cinched.  

Bronco was impressive in flipping its opponent out of the arena in the main event.

Yes, I couldn't get the split decision either. It was obvious Chomp lost. And my first thought was sure its the female judge. I was never a Chomp fan but boy did it look awful out there. 

Share Post

4-1 with my predictions this week.  I was hoping for 5-0 but for some reason I picked Chomp to win.  Which I was very hesitant to do because I think it's a ridiculous design.  But I didn't expect Overhaul to be able to pick it up and dunk it into the saw blades like that.  It was like watching a preying mantis handle its prey.  All I figured it would be able to do is knock it over.  Oh well.

Share Post

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

4-1 with my predictions this week.  I was hoping for 5-0 but for some reason I picked Chomp to win.  Which I was very hesitant to do because I think it's a ridiculous design.  But I didn't expect Overhaul to be able to pick it up and dunk it into the saw blades like that.  It was like watching a preying mantis handle its prey.  All I figured it would be able to do is knock it over.  Oh well.

I rooted for overhaul but it was a tough choice.  I don't like either bot but Chomp landing on it's side every time it fires it's weapon (for the third televised season running) aggrivates me.  

Share Post

OTOH, I rewatched the first match of the night several times.  That was absolutely the most refreshing brawl I've seen in a long time. 

And the main event.  OK, so all the metrics said the team from New Zealand should win.  Size, armor, new minds at work.  Only experience trumped them, quickly.

Share Post

4-1 on my predictions this week.  Witch Doctor dominated its fight against Blacksmith, but then got stuck on the screws!  If it hadn't gotten itself off of them at the last second to avoid a knockout, I would have had another loss.  

Where I messed up was picking Reality to defeat Duck.  I just couldn't take Duck seriously, since it doesn't seem to have any real weapon to speak of.  A beak with a weak wedge.  But Reality burned itself out against it.

I was glad to see the guy from the "Battle Royale w/Cheese" crew admit that there were design flaws in the robot in order to make it look like a burger.  I'd say it's time to drop the burger theme, then.

The Bronco vs. Lockjaw finale was kind of anticlimactic, with both teams having technical issues (Bronco won).  The announcer mentioned possible frequency issues, I wondered if their radios were interfering with each other?

Share Post

Witch Doctor got SO lucky that she got herself off the screws at the last seconds.

eta-only in the Battlebots thread would that sentence make sense!

Edited by chitowngirl.

Share Post

On 6/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, rmontro said:

4-1 on my predictions this week.  Witch Doctor dominated its fight against Blacksmith, but then got stuck on the screws!  If it hadn't gotten itself off of them at the last second to avoid a knockout, I would have had another loss.  

Where I messed up was picking Reality to defeat Duck.  I just couldn't take Duck seriously, since it doesn't seem to have any real weapon to speak of.  A beak with a weak wedge.  But Reality burned itself out against it.

I was glad to see the guy from the "Battle Royale w/Cheese" crew admit that there were design flaws in the robot in order to make it look like a burger.  I'd say it's time to drop the burger theme, then.

The Bronco vs. Lockjaw finale was kind of anticlimactic, with both teams having technical issues (Bronco won).  The announcer mentioned possible frequency issues, I wondered if their radios were interfering with each other?

I didn't think Duck would do it, but it hung in there. 

Yes, Battle Royale got torn apart. The design is cutesy but flawed. And that little burger went flying. Wow. 

Share Post

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, rmontro said:

The Bronco vs. Lockjaw finale was kind of anticlimactic

There seem to be a lot of these lately.  The first several episodes of the season were really good, I thought, but the last few not so much.  Several where one big hit (sometimes the first hit) knocks out a bot, and a couple where a bot that dominates for most of the round suddenly starts smoking and stops moving and the (generally) inferior bot wins.  The featured matchups have been particularly prone to this.

After watching most of the extra battles on the Science channel airing, I can understand why they didn't make the "big leagues" on the Discovery channel airing; most of them are pretty lame with poorly thought out designs and tentative driving.  However, you have to start somewhere.

Share Post

On 6/30/2018 at 11:55 AM, rmontro said:

Technical issues is a nice way of saying neither one was fully functional.  Upon rewatching it looked as if Lockjaw had lost one side of its controls and they were having to try to relearn how to drive with one side non functional.  Bronco seemed to have lost one side as well and his tossing mechanism didn't seem to align with when I would have sent a signal to flip.  Aside from frequency problems, maybe both had gremlins?????

Could a cell phone jammer have wrecked havoc?

What made the old Battlebots great (IMO) was the competition in many size classes.  The small bots that came up with ideas that then grew with time and expertise.  

Right now it seems to be spinner, tosser, * repeat.  Too many of them have forgotten how to right themselves.  Maybe this is why I like Huge.  Such a different materials and approach (ok, the spinner is there, but its delivery is different.)

eta. * I forgot hammer.  Maybe because they seem to fail often and I include don't hit when they need to in 'fail'.

Edited by enoughcats. Reason: prefer to forget hammer

Share Post

56 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Maybe this is why I like Huge.  Such a different materials and approach (ok, the spinner is there, but its delivery is different.)

Oh yeah! That’s why I like Huge. I doubt it’ll win the whole thing, but there probably won’t be plans to specifically beat it, either. 

I really hate the costumey teams and the bots that waste their weight limit on decorations. That’s why I love cheering against Witch Doctor so much. My loud jeering scares the  dogs  

I loved seeing the burger get demolished... Especially the little burger. I was surprised, however, that no one mentioned the little rake that the small burger had. I assumed it was because of Hypershock’s prior take success. 

Final point, I do love seeing drones get destroyed. 

Share Post

8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, Battle Royale got torn apart. The design is cutesy but flawed. And that little burger went flying. Wow. 

It was oddly satisfying seeing that little cheeseburger demolished, lol.  I don't know what they thought they were going to be able to do with it anyway.  Besides, I don't know why they didn't design it to look like a bag of fries.

6 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Maybe this is why I like Huge.  Such a different materials and approach

Agreed, I like Huge also.  It's a breath of fresh air with its unique design.

Share Post

15 hours ago, rmontro said:

It was oddly satisfying seeing that little cheeseburger demolished, lol.  I don't know what they thought they were going to be able to do with it anyway.  Besides, I don't know why they didn't design it to look like a bag of fries.

Agreed, I like Huge also.  It's a breath of fresh air with its unique design.

That is a great idea! 

Share Post

What/who controls the screws?

Witch Doctor only escaped the KO because the screws reversed direction just before WD was counted out.

Seemed fishy as hell.

Share Post

Oh, be still, my beating heart.  I could have watched Huge vs. Chomp go on for another six minutes.  Everything I haven't liked about Chomp came into play and everything I like about Huge also came into play. 

I so want Zoe (I might finally have her name correct) to make some major adaptations to Chomp.  Now that the world has seen the weakness of Chomp's hammer maybe they'll rethink.

I loved the little surrender bot that did get Chomp's attention and C's first blast of flames (that missed the little one.)

Share Post

22 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Oh, be still, my beating heart.  I could have watched Huge vs. Chomp go on for another six minutes. 

Yes!  I love HUGE. I just am not picturing a way to disable it. Based of what I observed tonight, I don’t think that pushing it over the screws will be the answer. 

I don’t think I’ve ever liked Chomp’s design. And this year it seems like they only improved technology that is of no help. 

I hope to see HUGE vs Tombstone sooner than later. I think it will be an interesting fight. 

Share Post

I was 3-2 on my predictions this week.  I didn't expect Petunia to win, but Captain Shredderator seemed to suffer from having a rookie driver.

I also thought Ice Wave would beat Skorpios, but the judges gave it to Skorpios.  That fight could have gone either way.  Skorpios was pushing Ice Wave around, but it's primary weapon wasn't working at all, while Ice Wave tore a lot of pieces off of it.  I thought damage with the primary weapon was supposed to be the most important thing?

Yeti beating Bombshell could have also gone either way.  Bombshell dominated the fight, but caught fire and stopped working as time ran out.  There wasn't enough time left to get the actual KO.

Brutus vs Warhawk was another good battle, with Brutus coming out on top despite losing its vertical spinner.

Huge vs Chomp was also entertaining, Huge has such an innovative design.  Chomp put up a much better battle than expected though.

Share Post

This is the second time that Huge has gone up against an opponent that used fire on it.  I keep expecting the wheels to melt, but they are apparently made out of one hell of a durable material.  However,  Chomp was also hitting the center of Huge where all the electronics are.  You could see the scorch marks clearly, I am surprised that didn't take it down. 

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I also thought Ice Wave would beat Skorpios, but the judges gave it to Skorpios.  That fight could have gone either way

I agree with Kenny, if you keep hitting and destroying your opponent and all it does is push you around the ring, you should win that fight.  Ice Wave got cheated of a win.

Edited by Quilt Fairy.

Share Post

During the Icewave/Skorpius fight I kept my eyes on the screws. I never saw them reverse direction - they rotated inwards the entire time.

So even more I believe there were shenanigans to save Witch Doctor from the KO last week.

Share Post