Battlebots (2018): All Episodes Talk

For discussion of the reboot of the reboot episodes aka the Science/Discovery Episodes.

Share Post

Are these new episodes, or just new to Sci channel? These seem familiar, but I know a lot of the same bots compete every season.

Share Post

I think new episodes start this Friday.  I remember because we have house guests coming and I expect them at 8pm, when the new Battlebots happens.  

Edited by enoughcats.

Share Post

New episodes (https://battlebots.com/):

Let the Bot battles begin! We’re excited to announce that Discovery Networks (Discovery & Science Channel) has ordered up a fresh new series of BattleBots—bursting with robot combat goodness. Sparks flying, robots dying, all coming to your TV screens starting May 11th at 8:00pm on Discovery, and May 16th at 9:00pm on Science Channel. Your favorite bots will be back along with some exciting new comers, and we’ve got a twist to our traditional tournament format that will mean more fights on screen, and more fights for your favorite bots! Join us May 11th (and each week thereafter) for the glorious robot carnage over at our new homes on Discovery & Science Channel!

All the robots (new and old) are here: https://battlebots.com/2018-season-robots/

Share Post

On 5/9/2018 at 8:04 PM, chitowngirl said:

Are these new episodes, or just new to Sci channel? These seem familiar, but I know a lot of the same bots compete every season.

Brand spankin’ New!

Share Post

Fewer Bot-bunny interviews, more fights - I'm good with the format this season so far.

Share Post

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  😆

Share Post

On 5/12/2018 at 11:56 AM, Destiny74 said:

The new season is aired on Discovery last night.  The new season airs on Science Channel next Wednesday night.  

Why are they doing that?  I know they are sister stations but why would I wait until Wednesday to watch when I can see it Friday?  I could understand a Wednesday and Thursday  showing but they're showing them almost a week apart.  Although I read that SCI has another fight not aired on DIS.  

I've been waiting two years for this.  My son loves BB and we just watch the first two seasons on a loop.  Nice to add new episodes to that loop.

So glad they have Farook, Chris, and Kenny back.  I actually love the color commentary.  And I love when schrapnel hits right in front of them.  Chris jumps higher than a scared cat!  😆

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Cause airing it on a Saturday is not wise and Science is premiering a new show for Wednesday’s so maybe they catch the end and get hooked and will see a new episode is only a day or two away.

Then I think they should have started it on the Sci channel Wednesday night and then the disc channel premier on Friday.  The way it is, if we want to watch on sci we wait five days.

Share Post

Man, I have been having a lot of stress lately and I had no idea how I needed some wanton destruction until I sat down to watch this show last night.  That poor bot that got RIPPED IN HALF!  I've never seen anyone beg the ref to stop that match before.

Share Post

The new season is absolutely awesome!  Many of the battles have been spectacular.   I love the idea of round robin prelims before we get into the "medal round", it means lots of battles and you get to see a wide variety of matchups.  I hope they keep putting a 3 bot rumble in each episode.

The Science channel did itself no favors earlier this year when it started clapping "New" on episodes that were 2 and 3 years old.  I'd set the DVR to record it only to see that it was one I had already seen.  I didn't realize there was actually a "new" new season until last week when I caught the episode on Discovery.

Share Post

Sci channel does have new material in the hour they present (repeat).  They still have the battles, but they have 'bonus' material.  Last night's (5/30) had really good interviews with a lot of the bot creators.  The woman who with her crew has "voo-doo" dressed up and whose bot got mangled by tombstone in Ep 1 this year came across as really intelligent as she talked about how this year is different and you had to design to keep your bot in working order through mayhem, because you wanted to advance and so you had to have replaceable parts, etc.  Then there was an interview with a bot we haven't seen yet where the  creator talked about using the 3-d printer they brought with them as well as the one available to all the teams to remake parts as needed.  That was an eyeopener to stone age me. 

After that, Mr ECats demanded that we tape the Wednesday night version for future watching and he seldom cares about that sort of thing. 

Last night's massive destruction was a "look at that" "and that" and h--- ---t comments at our house. 

Share Post

Tombstone vs. Gigabite-hahahahahaha! THAT’S why I love this show! 

That said, for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

Share Post

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

for some reason I really dislike the owner of Tombstone.

For me, it's love/hate.  Tonight, it was love.  When the other bot had lost it's exoskeleton, the underbot was dancing around.  Tombstone's owner yelled "Stand still" because the other owner didn't know that he needed to stand still to get a call for a knock out.  And with a knockout, Ray would hold Tombstone back from obliterating the naked bot.  And Tombstone could have taken that apart so easily.  So very very easily.  To me that was the golden rule in play and it surprised me, in a positive way for Tombstone to hold back.  That way the other bot has a chance to fight again in this series.  

The thing I love most about Tombstone (beyond the lack of fru-fru worthless decoration) and the elegant simplicity of its design......is that they built a totally separate bot to carry Tombstone around and up to the area.  That just tickles me every delivery.

Edited by enoughcats.

Share Post

After the first 3 episodes of the season, this was a disappointment.  Two very hyped battles being essentially over within the first 30 seconds.

I definitely expect to see an extra battle next week on the Science rerun.  This past week it had some interesting bonus information, but it did NOT have a bonus battle.

Share Post

4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Tombstone vs. Gigabite-hahahahahaha! THAT’S why I love this show! 

Ray was totally obnoxious on the first season (2015).  He took an unnecessary potshot at the end of his semi-final round and the impact literally gutted Tombstone, he still won the round.  For the finale against Bite Force, his motor started smoking and he didn't have the umph he needed to win the match, BiteForce was champ.

I think he learned a lot of humility from that.  He ate some crow and came back for season 2 not quite the ass he was in season 1.  He won season 2.

So, seeing what he was season 1 to the competitor he became in season 2 ( and seems to be in season 3), I have started liking him.  Tombstone is a beast, a super tough robot to beat and Ray knows it.  He could be an ass again because Tombstone can back up most of his attitude but I like seeing him be a little more humane and not quite the big man in the box.  I think the humble pie was good for him.

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. 😀

Share Post

5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

All this to say, if you dislike him now, you'd have really hated him season 1. 😀

Oh, I did!

Share Post

I think this is only my second season watching this.  I like to play a little game with myself to predict the winners.  I have to admit I'm not very good at it, I think my record is something like 8-7 this season.  Seems like it should be easier to predict.  I really screwed up by picking Gigabyte to upset Tombstone, I should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

Share Post

On 6/1/2018 at 6:03 PM, chitowngirl said:

It's the smirking and gloating over an RC lawn mower.  He has finesse, and no technical skills.  He seems just as disposable this season as he ever has.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, Destiny74 said:

I did and I do.

Ray's bot is not nice to look -- it's just a box and a blade on wheels.  It sucks and so does he.  He's the perfect example of a sore winner.

Share Post

Funniest moment: Chris saying Billings shows "good sportsmanship" followed by Billing laughing and gloating over his win.

Second favorite: Saying that Billing "continues to make improvement" when all he does is change the blade.

Share Post

Had to laugh when Icestorm tore up Yeti's wheels while Yeti was being counted out.  If they hadn't made a point about Icestorm's blades being painted to make them hard to see, I'm not sure if I would have bought that it was an accident.  When Icestorm's owner was being interviewed, you could see Yeti's owner stomping around in the background, apparently still mad about it.  Oh well.

My predictions improved to 4-1 this week, so I was happy  ;)

Share Post

Someone explain to me how the Chomp battle was a split decision?  She was on her side or trying to manuever to get away the whole time.  She didn't land any hits and only one it two times did her fire touch.  Gurl power is the only thing I can think of.

Chomp may have some impressive AI in it but this is a demolition comp, not an expo.  I get why people are less than impressed with a bot like Tombstone because it is pretty basic and a brawler but that is what this comp is.  

Sorry, Zoe never impressed me, any season.  I guess I am biased.

Edited by Destiny74. Reason: Name change

Share Post

Last season I didn't like Chomp.  I didn't like the apparent instability of it and I really didn't want it to win as often as it did.  Of the women competitors, though, I liked the way Chloe thought.  No died hair, no silly theatrics, and she didn't make a big plastic bug.

What I did like, or at least admire, about Chomp was the inclusion of AI in zeroing in on it's prey.  It did that well two years ago. 

Early on this season I wondered if Chomp was even going to be in the competition. Even last night's episode, Chomp didn't get much air time at all until its match.  And then it became obvious why.  Chomp had been overdesigned.  It self righted too slowly and had lost what speed it had two years ago. 

As a woman who was active in science before these women competitors were born I cringe when they go into "girl power" and those things.  Simplicity but correct design will out, but never overlook the obvious.  Engineering celebrates multiple ways of reaching a conclusion and then cost and efficiency and strength of materials get figured in.  
Chomp lost its ability to keep its 'eye' on the prize.

I cringed when the woman judge caused the split decision.  It bothers me twelve hours later.  It should bother Chloe. 

Share Post

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the female judge brought in some gender bias in making Chomp's fight a split decision.  Can't see any justification for that at all, unless she was giving points for Chomp's use of the flamethrower, but that is a BIG stretch.  

I was 3-2 in my predictions this week.  Could have been 4-1 but Captain Shredderator stopped working after seemingly having a win cinched.  

Bronco was impressive in flipping its opponent out of the arena in the main event.

Share Post

I enjoy watching Huge. It’s so different from the others. Seeing that the flame didn’t stop it, I’m not sure what can disable it. I don’t think it can win the whole thing, but I’m betting it will lose in a judges’ decision. 

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

Share Post

10 hours ago, 4Sibes Redux said:

I also enjoy seeing SawBlaze at work. I’d like to see it against Tombstone. It potentially could do some nifty damage. 

My money's on Tombstone in that encounter.

Share Post

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

My money's on Tombstone in that encounter.

To be honest, my money is always on Tombstone. 

Share Post

Honestly, this season has shown a side of Jamison that I don't like.  I get he may have issues with Charles and the way he ran the group and trash talk there might have been warranted.  But he had an attitude this episode that I didn't like either.  

Share Post